Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,336 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:05 PM

Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World (56575 Views)

10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. / Top 10 Most Mysterious Planets (known) In The Observable Universe / The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by dapsondou(m): 8:31pm On Sep 04, 2013
Amefrica: :/ Where's Great Dane and Bull Mastiff

Don't know about the bull mastiff but the great dane is a very silly dog

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by Nobody: 8:34pm On Sep 04, 2013
Most of the dogs are even more intelligent and obedient than some nairalanders,some nairalanders can be so dull!!!chai chineke!!
Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by Ishilove: 8:35pm On Sep 04, 2013
chucky234: Bingo is Basenji and not mongrel.
Bingo is NOT Basenji. The Basenji, also known as the voiceless dog because they can't bark, is native to Southern Africa. Bingo isn't Mongrel either. Bingo is simply known as the Native West African dog because like canuck has mentioned, they are so mixed that their breed is not recognised internationally

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by Nobody: 8:36pm On Sep 04, 2013
i love dogs. I hope my future hubby likes it cos i want it as a pet
Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by Weixzy(m): 8:37pm On Sep 04, 2013
Pit bull , bull dog and bull terrier didn't make the list
Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by Raddie(m): 8:37pm On Sep 04, 2013
grin grin grin grin

Ray McBlue: I don't dig dogs. I like them small and nonchalant.

Yeah, you guessed right! I'm a cat Person myself.

Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by Ishilove: 8:38pm On Sep 04, 2013
ItsModella:
But Basenjis don't bark. The average ekuke/local dog can bark like a dog suffering from mental illness.
Lmao!! You can say that again grin
Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by Nobody: 8:39pm On Sep 04, 2013
dapsondou:

Don't know about the bull mastiff but the great dane is a very silly dog

Because ?
Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by dokunbam(m): 8:43pm On Sep 04, 2013
Thank you
I will have them all

Hey! What of Bingo in Nigeria angry angry angry
What is the ranking for Bingo dogs?
Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by donpope1(m): 8:49pm On Sep 04, 2013
Oya my Calabar pals abegi which one is more delicious? grin
Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by stagger: 9:01pm On Sep 04, 2013
I am surprised the Caucasian Ovcharka did not make the list.
Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by badmeat(m): 9:04pm On Sep 04, 2013
Intelligent Dog,who cares,as long as I have some as pepper soupsad
Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by airfinance(m): 9:05pm On Sep 04, 2013
if na wetin oyinbo put for wikeapidea be dis,me no agree totally,the baba shagari dog wey we dey carry hunt rat and antelope for benue get sense no be small.e go catch rat come give you e no go eat am.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by optimusprime2(m): 9:14pm On Sep 04, 2013
Amefrica: :/ Where's Great Dane and Bull Mastiff
Those dumb/slow dogs, I thought you'd even call the Irish Setter- now thats a Smarter Dog.
The great dane is just big for nothing to me, its not known for aggression, its not a sharp learner, its a really slow dog(its size does'nt help issues).
The Bull Mastiff has a tendency to be very Lazy no matter how active its master is, its just in its genes.
Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by farochron(m): 9:16pm On Sep 04, 2013
OP. You are making me miss my Rot. There will be no dog like it. Ready to protect till death.
Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by Nobody: 9:25pm On Sep 04, 2013
Seriously the german shepherd should be number one, they are unbelievably intelligent and sly.
Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by Nobody: 9:29pm On Sep 04, 2013
canuck: #4. Golden Retriever

The Golden Retriever is a large-sized breed of dog. They were bred as gundogs to retrieve shot waterfowl such as ducks and upland game birds during hunting and shooting parties, and were named retriever because of their ability to retrieve shot game undamaged. Golden Retrievers have an instinctive love of water, and are easy to train to basic or advanced obedience standards.

They are a long-coated breed, with a dense inner coat that provides them with adequate warmth in the outdoors, and an outer coat that lies flat against their bodies and repels water. Golden Retrievers are well suited to residency in suburban or country environments. Although they need substantial outdoor exercise, they should be housed in a fenced area because of their instinctual tendency to roam. The dog sheds copiously, particularly at the change of seasons, and requires fairly regular grooming.

The temperament of the Golden Retriever is a hallmark of the breed, and is described in the standard as "kindly, friendly and confident”.

Country of Origin: Scotland

That is one fineass dog, man!
Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by Nobody: 9:32pm On Sep 04, 2013
canuck: #6. Shetland Sheepdog

The Shetland Sheepdog, often known as the Sheltie, is a breed of herding dog. They are small to medium dogs, and come in a variety of colors, such as sable, tri-color, and blue merle. They are vocal, excitable, energetic dogs who are always willing to please and work hard. They are partly derived from dogs used in the Shetland Isles for herding and protecting sheep. The breed was formally recognized by the Kennel Club in 1909.

The Shetland sheepdog is lively, intelligent, playful, trainable, and willing to please and obey. They are loving, loyal, and affectionate with their family, but are naturally aloof with strangers; for this reason Shelties must be socialized.

Country of Origin: Scotland

This is what I picture everytime I hear or read "toy dog".
Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by bluerange(f): 9:32pm On Sep 04, 2013
Even ekuke get grade, had one alongside a German shepherd. That dog was a pain in the neck, it leaves the job of barking at night to the German Shepherd, it only barks in the morning whenever the woman who sells okpa (Bambara nut) blows her horn when she is passing by. You will hear my ekuke barking aggressively and the woman who had noticed that, provokes it further by standing extra minutes outside my gate blowing her horn. Can bark like there is no tomorrow whenever it believes in its mind that spirits are around.

It past time is chasing the chicks we have in the property for fun but when the mother hen appears it changes direction. We finally gave it ou grin

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by deesquarediddy(m): 9:34pm On Sep 04, 2013
Ishilove:
Bingo is NOT Basenji. The Basenji, also known as the voiceless dog because they can't bark, is native to Southern Africa. Bingo isn't Mongrel either. Bingo is simply known as the Native West African dog because like canuck has mentioned, they are so mixed that their breed is not recognised internationally

I agree with you....the Nigerian local breed is so mixed that their breed can not be recognised....for instance, my Dog is a product of the local Nigerian Bingo but after adequate care and proper feeding looks more like a rotweiller.....

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by chronique(m): 9:34pm On Sep 04, 2013
Yea,I can relate with the alsatian and rottweiler's level of intelligence and I agree that the alsatian is more intelligent than the rott. I noticed it while training one of my dogs way back. The dog was a mix of alsatian and rottweiler. It didn't respond to commands as fast as the pure alsatians responded to commands when I was training them. Secondly,it was always lagging behind when it had to do mental work. For example,the alsatians were always the first to bark and alert me when power has been restored,water tank gets full,family member knocks at the gate or doorbell/intercom at the gate rings. Ordinarily,I would have thought that a mix of both breeds would make it more intelligent but I was wrong. The intelligence of the alsatian cannot be overlooked and it will always make it,a very popular breed even in years to come. I noticed a lot of people are going for boer bulls these days cos of the size and intimidating looks but in terms of security,intellect should be placed far above looks. My alsatians then,were so alert that they could pick up faintest of sounds from over 120 ft. I say this cos d property was built on a plot measuring 120 x 60 feet and usually,we come out in the evening to relax and take fresh air and we put our seats close to the wall,at the back of the house and the dogs seat by our side. All of a sudden,their ears will stand up firm and alert,they'd look at themselves and run very fast(like they're chasing someone),towards the gate. When they get there,they bark and their barks,would tell you if it's a family member or a visitor that's at the gate. The bark for a family member is quiet and calm and you can count it. One bark per time,in a mild tone. If it's a stranger,it's usually fast,loud,agrresive and continuous. You'd even hear them jumping on the gate(trying to force their way out to attack/chase the intruder).

4 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by derbybliz(m): 9:35pm On Sep 04, 2013
J12: I had a german shepherd once. its a mans best friend truly and I almost wept when it died but then I remembered that we are in the END TIMES so I had to let it go.
i will always miss my German shepherd....lyk Seriously dat Dog, is so intelligent....i loved dat dog more dan my ex Galfrend(no offence 2 the ladies in the house plz)
Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by Nobody: 9:35pm On Sep 04, 2013
canuck: #7. Labrador Retriever

The Labrador Retriever (simply Labrador, or Lab for short) is one of several kinds of retriever, a type of gun dog. Even-tempered and well-behaved around young children and the elderly, Labradors are athletic and playful, and are the most popular breed of dog by registered ownership in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the United States (since 1991). A favorite assistance dog breed in these and other countries, Labradors are frequently trained to aid blind and autistic people, act as therapy dogs, and perform screening and detection work for law enforcement and other official agencies.

Labradors are relatively large, with males typically weighing 29 to 41 kg (64 to 90 lb) and females 25 to 32 kg (55 to 71 lb).

Labradors' sense of smell allows them to hone in on almost any scent and follow the path of its origin. They generally stay on the scent until they find it. Navies, military forces and police forces use them as detection dogs to track down smugglers, thieves, terrorists and black marketers.

Country of Origin: Canada

Reminds me of Barney. sad
Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by optimusprime2(m): 9:37pm On Sep 04, 2013
hornipipe: Seriously the german shepherd should be number one, they are unbelievably intelligent and sly.
naaaaaaaaah the Collie deserves its position as top ranking intelligent dog, even I wont dispute it.
Have you noticed most Hollywood movie dogs are Collies?
In Dog shows I've seen, Collies do the intelligent stunts.
To me Collies are easily trained, because of their high intelligence, basically if you are blind, you can depend on a collie to maybe even errrrm drive.
But my ish with the list is wasting two slots on Retreiver breeds, i.e Labrador and Golden- I mean Retreivers in general are very intelligent, I still fink a Setter or Cocker Spaniel should have been somewhere at no 9 or 8.
Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by Nobody: 9:39pm On Sep 04, 2013
Maybe the German and the Labrador for me. The toy dogs for wifey and the kids if they want.
Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by Nobody: 9:45pm On Sep 04, 2013
optimus-prime1:

naaaaaaaaah the Collie deserves its position as top ranking intelligent dog, even I wont dispute it.
Have you noticed most Hollywood movie dogs are Collies?
In Dog shows I've seen, Collies do the intelligent stunts.
To me Collies are easily trained.
But my ish with the list is giving two slots to Retreiver breeds, i.e Labrador and Golden- I mean Retreivers in general are very intelligent.
I'll pick a german shepherd over any other breed any day anytime.. I've never owned a collie so I don't know much about its intelligence, of all the breeds I have and had the GSD is king.
Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by Nobody: 9:48pm On Sep 04, 2013
canuck:

Hahahahaaaa. . .At least we know that "Bingo" is loaded with such native intelligence as:

1) Crossing busy city roads;

2) Fending for itself as owners never chop belle-full reach to feed Bingo;

3) Fathering seeeeeveral puppies in the neighborhood with ANY breed of dog;

4) Avoiding capture and being turned into Pepper Soup by peeps from certain tribes in Nigeria;

5) Barking when spirits are passing. . .

. . .And so on! LOL!

Guy, you no be am o! At all at all! See as you finish Barney and all her pikin for me!

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by optimusprime2(m): 9:53pm On Sep 04, 2013
hornipipe: I'll pick a german shepherd over any other breed any day anytime.. I've never owned a collie so I don't know much about its intelligence, of all the breeds I have and had the GSD is king.
German shepherd are pretty good dogs, and the German Shepherds strong point is Loyalty, but if you've watched a Collie... You'll know what I'm talking about, the Collie is a naturally inquinsitive dog that always wants to learn, its a very smart dog but does'nt even look as smart and the most Agile of the two.
A Blind person can totally rely on a Collie.
Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by mascot5: 9:55pm On Sep 04, 2013
Hey
Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by DrDre1(m): 9:58pm On Sep 04, 2013
Very nice thread. GOD bless u OP. I've got a couple of dogs back home and I miss them everyday. The alpha one is a Doberman-Alsatian mix. Only thing he will do that will shock me is talk lol. Gosh! I miss my dogs

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by Nobody: 10:09pm On Sep 04, 2013
optimus-prime1:

Those dumb/slow dogs, I thought you'd even call the Irish Setter- now thats a Smarter Dog.
The great dane is just big for nothing to me, its not known for aggression, its not a sharp learner, its a really slow dog(its size does'nt help issues).
The Bull Mastiff has a tendency to be very Lazy no matter how active its master is, its just in its genes.

You maybe right!!
Re: Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World by nosike3(m): 10:17pm On Sep 04, 2013
uj_sizzle:
lmao virgin dog? Omo na nun be dat oo. What does she do when she's on heat?
heat ko..... Even when on heat... She chase the hell out of the dogs i bring for breeding...
Guess me n my bro are the only guys she needs in her life....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Scientists Discover 24 Planets With Conditions More Suitable For Life Than Earth / The African Continent Is Slowly Peeling Apart, A New Ocean Will Be Created / Massive Crocodile Ripped Off A Boy’s Head & Swallowed Him In Costa Rica

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.