Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,837 members, 7,810,219 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:30 AM

Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? (119915 Views)

Best Uni For Bsc. Computer Science In Nigeria / A Way Forward For The Field Of Computer Science In Nigeria / [Opinion] B.sc Computer Science In Nigeria? poo! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by CODEEATER(m): 1:02pm On Sep 07, 2013
My oga at d top has spoken...CNT argue wit Bros seun
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by pjosh1(m): 4:51pm On Sep 07, 2013
Thank you all for your reply.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Kaycee7(m): 6:20pm On Sep 07, 2013
Seun: If you want to be a professional software developer, you should study Computer Science at a good private university like Covenant University with good lecturers and good facilities. If you can't afford that, then study it at a reputable public school like OAU-Ife or UNILAG and also make sure you buy a computer and use it to teach yourself practical skills.

The practical knowledge you will gain by learning on your own is no substitute for the theoretical foundation you will gain as a Computer Science studentin a good university. It's complementary. A programmer who studied Computer Science and also learnt extra on his own will be much better than a programmer who studied something else and learnt on his own.

As a student of Computer Science, you will be surrounded by computer geniuses who are better than you. Learning from them and competing with them will make you a much better developer. It will bring out the best in you. It takes a rare and extraordinary level of motivation to learn Computer Science in depth on your own. It's just too hard.

So studying Computer Science in a good university is a fantastic way to spend 4 years if you want to work professionally as a software engineer. Your uncle is not qualified to tell you whether or not studying Computer Science is worth it because he knows nothing about it. You should not take advice from people who don't know what they are talking about. You should listen to employers of programmers and Computer Science graduates who are programmers.
What of Computer Engineering? How does it aid software development?
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Ajibel(m): 6:57pm On Sep 07, 2013
See to be frank, you'd gain more when u are in a university. CS Books to read are there, you'd find young guys like u to partner with, electricity is confirmed..etc. I once had that thought buh me going into Uni to study CS isnt cuz of the cert. buh i'd gain more than being at home self-studying python.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Ajibel(m): 7:00pm On Sep 07, 2013
MOD
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Ajibel(m): 7:01pm On Sep 07, 2013
Boss Seun has even said what was on my mind. I'd prefer a Uni over NIIT if the Uni gives me the course i want. Buh if they give me physics or any unrelated cs course (like what unilag did), i'd consider niit, aptech n co.

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by karferguso(m): 7:09pm On Sep 07, 2013
Seun: If you want to be a professional software developer, you should study Computer Science at a good private university like Covenant University with good lecturers and good facilities. If you can't afford that, then study it at a reputable public school like OAU-Ife or UNILAG and also make sure you buy a computer and use it to teach yourself practical skills.

The practical knowledge you will gain by learning on your own is no substitute for the theoretical foundation you will gain as a Computer Science studentin a good university. It's complementary. A programmer who studied Computer Science and also learnt extra on his own will be much better than a programmer who studied something else and learnt on his own.

As a student of Computer Science, you will be surrounded by computer geniuses who are better than you. Learning from them and competing with them will make you a much better developer. It will bring out the best in you. It takes a rare and extraordinary level of motivation to learn Computer Science in depth on your own. It's just too hard.

So studying Computer Science in a good university is a fantastic way to spend 4 years if you want to work professionally as a software engineer. Your uncle is not qualified to tell you whether or not studying Computer Science is worth it because he knows nothing about it. You should not take advice from people who don't know what they are talking about. You should listen to employers of programmers and Computer Science graduates who are programmers.
Sorry,isn't that a way of advertisment for those schools you mentioned above?
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Sep 07, 2013
Ajibel: Boss Seun has even said what was on my mind. I'd prefer a Uni over NIIT if the Uni gives me the course i want. Buh if they give me physics or any unrelated cs course (like what unilag did), i'd consider niit, aptech n co.

Physics is a fabulous science course too
It does not stop your love for Computer Science.

A Physics degree makes more sense in the IT industry than an aptech certificate.
Aptech/NIIT would not teach you anything you can't learn on your own.

Angela Merkel studied Physics.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Ajibel(m): 9:44pm On Sep 07, 2013
I.Joan:

Physics is a fabulous science course too
It does not stop your love for Computer Science.

A Physics degree makes more sense in the IT industry than an aptech certificate.
Aptech/NIIT would not teach you anything you can't learn on your own.

Angela Merkel studied Physics.

Hmm. Physics is a demanding course and when u are really into it, u'd be left with less amount of time to study it. I had to discontinue/reject it. Besides i failed to mention i wasnt good in physics in Secondary; just average. The best thing to do is get the course u want and fully devote time to it.
I dont care which cert makes sense, i just know i wont become an employee. My github/portfolio would speak for me cool

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by karferguso(m): 10:32pm On Sep 07, 2013

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by meshybizzo(m): 11:04pm On Sep 07, 2013
karferguso:

Huh? Smh
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 11:36pm On Sep 07, 2013
Ajibel:

Hmm. Physics is a demanding course and when u are really into it, u'd be left with less amount of time to study it. I had to discontinue/reject it. Besides i failed to mention i wasnt good in physics in Secondary; just average. The best thing to do is get the course u want and fully devote time to it.
I dont care which cert makes sense, i just know i wont become an employee. My github/portfolio would speak for me cool

Okay...
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by GoodBoi1(m): 1:20am On Sep 08, 2013
pc guru: Coding and being a computer scientist are totally two different things oh, Computer Scientist are responsible for most things you use Nvidia CUDA, Graphic Engines and lots of other things my brain cannot even attempt to comprehend. please don't let anyone fool, research before taking decisions like this. also you might wanna ralk to Abdulfattah on NL, i know he's one and he's really on his element.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 9:24am On Sep 08, 2013
kodewrita:

Even biblically, the wise are the ones who take instruction and add to their knowledge. If someone wilfully decides that more knowledge is uninmportant, then they have commenced a journey down the path of failure.

Unless you want to spend your life creating crappy apps for small cash and never creating anything great, then you definitely need to go beyond the base level you are.

I personally would not trust a half-baked IT professional with highly critical applications if such a programmer sees 3rd Normal form-designed DBMS as unnecessarily academic or too much work.

Universities teach you the whole picture and not just the narrow field of programming. Yes you can learn it on your own with tools like www.coursera.com or http://ocw.mit.edu or www.edx.org among others but its easier if you attend a UNI.

Dont let envy/regret prevent you or others from gettting good education.
Thank you Sir for this. even me currently studying pure and Applied Mathematics will like to do Comp. Science at Msc Level.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Harry4cas(m): 12:01pm On Sep 08, 2013
MOD THE DISCUSSION IN THIS THREAD IS NOW HEIGHTENED..... MOVE THIS TOPIC TO THE FRONT PAGE COS ALL I COULD SAY IS THAT THIS ARTICLE IS A FP MATERIAL

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by CODEEATER(m): 6:19pm On Sep 08, 2013
Nope...not FP mat to me..

Can I ask an open question to all..

Wat sec skul subjects r NEEDED to b qualified to enter a GOOD university where one can study computer science in relation to programming...?
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 1:16am On Sep 09, 2013
CODE-EATER:
Nope...not FP mat to me..

Can I ask an open question to all..

Wat sec skul subjects r NEEDED to b qualified to enter a GOOD university where one can study computer science in relation to programming...?

Basically, you have to be in the Science class(take further maths, physics, chemistry,etc)...

Computer Science is usually in the Faculty of Technology/Engineering(sometimes Science) and those subjects are needed to be admitted into those Faculties.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by kpolli(m): 1:26am On Sep 09, 2013
p.josh:
This is a conversation between my uncle and I.

Uncle: Josh, what course do you want 2 study.
Me: Computer Science
Uncle: Why
Me: Because I like it
Uncle: Do you know any programming language
Me: Yes, I know python and am still learning it.
Uncle: Who taught you?
Me: I learnt it by my self.
Uncle: Do not study com. Sci
Me: Why?
Uncle : Why waste 4 years in a Nigerian university studying Computer Science when you can learn it on your own or even register and learn it somewhere else.

Me: I will need the certificate when looking for work.

Uncle: Look, even if you want to learn computer science don't depend on your cert. When looking for work, you can work on your own.

To some extent, what he said is true. I advice other student not to take Computer Science as a course.

If your uncle is not a computer scientist then don't mind him

I.Joan:

Basically, you have to be in the Science class(take further maths, physics, chemistry,etc)...

Computer Science is usually in the Faculty of Technology/Engineering(sometimes Science) and those subjects are needed to be admitted into those Faculties.

During my years further maths wasn't necessary, has this criteria changed now?
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 1:35am On Sep 09, 2013
kpolli:

No.
But it sure helps.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Nobody: 4:30pm On Sep 09, 2013
What a $tupid post
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by ocheejemb: 4:32pm On Sep 09, 2013
p.josh:
This is a conversation between my uncle and I.

Uncle: Josh, what course do you want 2 study.
Me: Computer Science
Uncle: Why
Me: Because I like it
Uncle: Do you know any programming language
Me: Yes, I know python and am still learning it.
Uncle: Who taught you?
Me: I learnt it by my self.
Uncle: Do not study com. Sci
Me: Why?
Uncle : Why waste 4 years in a Nigerian university studying Computer Science when you can learn it on your own or even register and learn it somewhere else.

Me: I will need the certificate when looking for work.

Uncle: Look, even if you want to learn computer science don't depend on your cert. When looking for work, you can work on your own.

To some extent, what he said is true. I advice other student not to take Computer Science as a course.

Sorry but your uncle is a block of cement. Why study medicine when you know how to do first aid? Why study engineering since you know how to do lego?

Son, if you already know how to programme in Python then you will sail through CS at Uni (hopefully).

2 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by yahrant140(m): 4:34pm On Sep 09, 2013
@ op you and your uncle is a big fool,in this modern age!!
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Slyr0x: 4:35pm On Sep 09, 2013
Seun made a valid point!

In addition,

The crop of computer science students we have now, entered university with the mindset that after 4years, they'll automatically become "Gurus" in the field. .After 4years, they'll come out unemployable and then blame their lecturers for teaching them just Fortran & Pascal (as applicable in most Nigerian Unis). .

If you really want to stay relevant in the CS field (after Uni that is), you need to specialize as early as possible (in your sophomore year). .be it Security, Graphics, Artificial Intelligence, Computer architecture, programming, DBMS, etc. .
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by PedroAmada(m): 4:38pm On Sep 09, 2013
Made sense though but Nigeria being a certificate oriented nation it will be very hard for you except you can be really self employed which also requires capital
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Afam4eva(m): 4:39pm On Sep 09, 2013
Studying computer science in a Nigerian university is a no-no. If you must study computer science in a university then go abroad. I know a lot of computer science graduates in Nigeria who cannot construct an HTML page let alone write a program. All they give them are the garbage that were obtained around the time i was born. Studying computer science in a Nigerian university is like going back to the 80s.

2 Likes

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by ocheejemb: 4:39pm On Sep 09, 2013
meshybizzo: I think many people commenting here are forgetting so many things.

My answer to both is simple. They are both CORRECT! Computer science far goes beyond programming but also spending 4 good years (all things been constant e.g ASUU) in nigerian universities is sadly a long waste of time.

Well in that case one might as well not go to University to study anything at all in Nigeria, not just Computer Science. The best thing about Computer Science is that the information is out there for you to get and apply easier than most other science-like courses.
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by ocheejemb: 4:41pm On Sep 09, 2013
kpolli:

If your uncle is not a computer scientist then don't mind him

Design and Analysis of Algorithms needs Further Maths
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by Akiika: 4:41pm On Sep 09, 2013
Ok guys, the truth is, most of the curriculla in our nation's universities are outdated (as far back as 1998 that i left Nigerian University). If you think you need the University degree to get a job, that's fine, but please still develop yourself personally. I'll recommend you guys check out the massive Open online courses http://www.mooc-list.com/categories/computer-science-programming-software-engineering, it's a free online list of University courses you can enroll for.."IT'S FREE". There are so many computer science classes that you can enroll for, rather than wasting you bandwidth commenting on things you have no control over.
Take control of your career.

1 Like

Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by PedroAmada(m): 4:42pm On Sep 09, 2013
To a large extend it is true b/c many guys go to universities and only have certificate to offer but practically know very little about what they study
Re: Why Waste 4 Years On Computer Science In University? by ZN2: 4:46pm On Sep 09, 2013
After reading a number of posts on this thread, I can see that a lot more people mistake ICT (or would I say software engineering) for computer science.

How can one say spending 4 years in the university studying computer science is a waste?

Anyways, it will depend largely on the curriculum offered to you by your university. Whilst there are several aspects of computer science you can study on your own, a lot of them will require access to equipment and tools which may not be available to the average individual.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

My Software Engineering Journey In ALX Africa / Freely Download Music, Videos, And Games All In One Place / A Thread For Tutorial On Python Programming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.