Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,684 members, 7,823,927 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:39 PM

Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM (27483 Views)

Senator Yerima: "Biafra Struggle Is Legitimate" - Daily Times / Lai Mohammed And Senator Godswill Akpabio Pictured Together / Letter To President Buhari Warns Against EFCC Boss Lamorde And Senator Akpabio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by obailala(m): 10:25am On Sep 06, 2013
christ4mi: I don't why people will always like to cause confusion, this early marriage is a Northern Muslims thing, did anyone force us to marry out our daughters or sister early? Alcohol is perfectly legal in Nigeria does it mean that everyone must consume Alcohol? Southern compatriot we fighting for pple who don't want fight for themselves. Until Northern Muslims lead the way in fight against Early Marriage, then I will join the fight. It non of my business for now
HOw can a helpless 12yrs old girl fight for her rights when she is given out to slavery and abuse by her mentally ill poverty stricken parents?.. We're talking of human rights here.

Do you know it took the intervention of a foreigner to stop the killing of twins in some parts of Nigeria? If this same foreigner had said, "well, it's their business, how can I be fighting for people who don't want to fight for themselves?" I guess the twin babies abandoned in the evil forests would rise up one day and fight for themselves..or alternatively, the chief priest who does the killing will have a rethink one day

4 Likes

Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by deols(f): 10:27am On Sep 06, 2013
who won the debate?

#mbtinzzz
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Nobody: 10:34am On Sep 06, 2013
Just sickening. Stella Damascus makes more sense than the so-called senator and that hot-headed Professor, mcheeeww.

2 Likes

Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Donmichaelz(m): 10:34am On Sep 06, 2013
ISLAM didn't put you to power it was Nigeria constitution,so respect it....
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by UyiIredia(m): 10:37am On Sep 06, 2013
Mr Aboki:

[b]WTF did you just write here?!

Apparently, something that vexes you.

Mr Aboki:
The law should be upheld.. So a law that allows for a grown Man to marry a Minor and defile em should be upheld. #NICE!

As far as I know, the law allows for 18 year old to marry without parental consent, albeit parental consent is advised even by the law, that's what should be upheld.

Mr Aboki:
And whats that whole thing you wrote there about varying maturity levels?!

I see. So who's more mature between a Dangote and Yerima. In all respects. Or between an Aregbesola and an Akala. Or between a Jordin Sparks and Miley Cyrus. You judge. They are within the same age group I suppose.

Mr Aboki:
What point were you trying to drive home?

That girls below 18 could (not should) marry.

Mr Aboki:
That if the girl is a minor but has 'matured' as in: Big Brest, Big hips, Big Yansh with Bib-bia all over her bia-bia region, she can be married off and fvcked.. abi?!

Did you miss the part I mentioned mental and physical maturity of which sexual maturity is a subset.

Mr Aboki:
Shey that was what you were trying to pass across or did I miss something?! [/b]

You are quite right.
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by UyiIredia(m): 10:40am On Sep 06, 2013
sure way: After dem go say hausa dis hausa dat...what about the useless yoruba prof...
most lasu students will have yerimarism attitude in them...

The issue cuts accross tribes, if I recall well there was an Edo man amongst the supporters of the controversial bill in the house.
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by nora544: 10:51am On Sep 06, 2013
christ4mi:
There over 60 Muslim majority country in the world. Name one country apart from Egypt, that underage Marriage is illegal. It a Muslim thing, leave it for them. You can't change this simple fact.

I know from what i write, it is also not allowed in jordan, in turkey, tunisia, marrok.................

But there are still some parts in nigeria who didnot sign the paper for the right of the child, and one place is the state this senator belong to.

This senator bought his wife, she is a slave, with no rights, where should she go, who will help her, nobody.
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by sureway1(m): 11:00am On Sep 06, 2013
deols: who won the debate?

#mbtinzzz
Tonto dike of course!
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by SmashingM(f): 11:06am On Sep 06, 2013
Dike Chimezie: Though i cant imagine and would never support such a marriage(underage or better still child marriage) metted on my relative,be it my sister,daughter,cousin etc but will u blame d average muslim for d indulgence,'NO' is my answer -because his religion supports it and we must start learning to respect it.Such marriage is d norm in d north.So for me,nothing strange,suprising or new -Stella was right in her own perspective so also d senator especially when he said it's a 'muslim thing' .It is complicated.

When you base your opinion on "it's a Muslim thing", does it mean one should go around killing others simply because his/her religion accepts human sacrifice?

1 Like

Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Orikinla(m): 11:09am On Sep 06, 2013
shymexx: Lmao!! grin

Anyway, why did all of you blow-cold after running around like headless chickens when the bill was signed? It's not even 3 months, yet it seems everyone has forgotten about it. What happened to the petitions?

Nigerians are jokers!! You lot just do everything based on following a trend without necessarily thinking things through. How can you fight against something that doesn't affect you directly without the support of those who're affected by it? - pick your battles wisely next time and stop the unnecessary and cowardly distractions!

I guess, "Shymmex" is now a prophet!

Lousy plonkers!

Majority of them have the herd mentality.
You know what we call in Yoruba, Ode ntele Afa.
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by bakynes(m): 11:13am On Sep 06, 2013
Some Religious laws were shaped by man for seflfish reasons.Those religious practise of the ancient days cannot be applicable to modern times, things change with time.Just like we amend the constitution to suit us today is the same way religious practises shd be amended to suit us today.Men used Islam as a political tool to suit themselves in the days of old.Muslims of nowadays follow religion blindy and embrace practises that dont suit them.I say No to Child Marriage.

1 Like

Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by coogar: 11:16am On Sep 06, 2013

Anyway, why did all of you blow-cold after running around like headless chickens when the bill was signed? It's not even 3 months, yet it seems everyone has forgotten about it. What happened to the petitions?

Nigerians are jokers!! You lot just do everything based on following a trend without necessarily thinking things through. How can you fight against something that doesn't affect you directly without the support of those who're affected by it? - pick your battles wisely next time and stop the unnecessary and cowardly distractions!

Lousy plonkers!

you have to understand far majority of our fellow nigerians imbibe the herd mentality. they just follow the popular opinion without thinking out of the box. senator yerima & the guy from LASU also did more damage to themselves as they lacked the nous to articulate their points very well. stella damasus & the other guy from havard were hardly convincing too - the whole process was shambolic. grown people talking over one another like kids on a playground. what a shame!!!!

senator yerima
your points were often misplaced but you were right when you said child marriage has nothing to do with VVF. you should have stayed on that point and make the audience aware that VVF outbreak is the fault of the federal/state ministries of health & education.

professor ishaq
you got too passionate in the conference when your composure could have helped the articulation of your points much better. this is not even about islam being ridiculed or muslim girls being intimidated. you could have just told the panel that the nigerian constitution makes provision for muslims to freely practise their religion as they please. a muslim man giving out his daughter to a fellow muslim man for marriage is entirely his own prerogative.

stella damasus
i understood where you were coming from firstly as a mother then as a female but this isn't your war. what the muslims decide to do with their daughters is not your business. moreover, VVF is a poverty disease! it's self-harming when you use VVF as a point to oppose child marriage. americans & brits have a much higher teenage pregnancy and there's no single incident of VVF in their countries. take your fight to education/health ministries to improve the ante/post natal care in the north & VVF would be completely eradicated.

lawyer from havard
dissecting the tenets of islam as to whether muslims should follow their traditional laws or move with the time is hardly the solution to this matter. you're educated and you are more likely to see things differently than a man from zamfara who's hardly been to school. the states where this child marriage issues are prevalent are sharia states - their religion comes first before the nigerian constitution or all the education you received from havard university.

if the 4 of you guys are what the nigerian population offered to do justice to this burning issue then i am afraid of nigeria's tomorrow. from an intellectually point of view, the 4 of you were woeful & a disgrace to the nigerian educational system!

7 Likes

Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by AdeniyiA(m): 11:27am On Sep 06, 2013
yerima is a confused Senator only propelled by egocentric interests. They should practice their thing and never try to debate such jargon in our national assembly, there are lots of impt issues begging for attention.
I think that professor is a disgraceful scholar looking for contractual recognition from d Senator. I am very sure he'd av placed a solidarity call to the Senator after the interview for some 'agreement'.
God is watching in 3D

1 Like

Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by roqdan: 11:29am On Sep 06, 2013
in my neigbhorhood gurls under 12 are no virgins and mny drop of sch cos of unwanted preg. many ladies who commented on dis and abuse Yerima all luz dia VIRGINITY at vry tender age out of wedlock(shameless future mothers) and many of d guyz are d watchful ones for abt to mature ladies ready to devour....seriously, if u wana argue dis den u mst b of gud morals, maintain clean sheet as record and step up with wat u preach.....4 intellectual arguement....beep me bk

2 Likes

Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by moewuro(m): 11:34am On Sep 06, 2013
Grandpa.yerima grin
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by abdulkayus(m): 11:35am On Sep 06, 2013
I call it early marriage nt child marriage. Who set d age of marriage shld be 18? Hw many gals are gettin pregnant and becomin mother b4 d age of 18? In some develop countries, d age of marriage is even less than 18. Wat am sayin is dat marriage age shld nt be peg at 18 bt at wen d gal mature to be able to handle pregnancy. And dat is wat Yerima is sayin. Dis early marriage has been happenin for long time in d north, and i havent heard any noise den. In d south esp d south west, we have high rate of teenage pregnancy and teenage mother out of wedlock or even droppin out of school. Nobody make noise abt dat one. VVF is nt an early marriage things bt a poverty things. US and UK has one of d highest rate of teenage mother and dey dont have VVF.
All wat am sayin is dat marriage shld nt be peg to a particular age bt marriage shld be due wen d gal is mature enuf to handle pregnancy. After all, nobody is forcing u to give ur daughter out at ant either early age or late age.
Salam.

5 Likes

Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by stantob(m): 11:40am On Sep 06, 2013
The stupid senator has got no reasonable thing to say.He's a disgrace and all those that voted in support of that child blablabla.
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by MrAboki: 11:40am On Sep 06, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Apparently, something that vexes you.

As far as I know, the law allows for 18 year old to marry without parental consent, albeit parental consent is advised even by the law, that's what should be upheld.

I see. So who's more mature between a Dangote and Yerima. In all respects. Or between an Aregbesola and an Akala. Or between a Jordin Sparks and Miley Cyrus. You judge. They are within the same age group I suppose.

That girls below 18 could (not should) marry.

Did you miss the part I mentioned mental and physical maturity of which sexual maturity is a subset.

You are quite right.

Okay.. So you are clearer now;

You support that under-aged marriage as long as Parental consent is gotten and the girl is Mentally & Physically Mature.. cool

THE LAW

So according to the constitution of Nigeria, here are some points that we cant argue;

1. The Legal age for one to be declared an Adult is 18yrs. Everybody under 18ys is considered a Minor irrespective of sex..

2. Only adults can enter into a Contract in Nigeria.

3. Marriage is a contract between 2 Adults. With consequences for breaching said contract ranging from Fines to jail time.

5. Slavery of all kind is a crime in Nigeria.

My Analysis of your point.

- According to you, a legal minor can get married and be bound by the laws governing marriage in Nigeria as long as her parents give consent. Since she is still a legal Minor, she would be tied into a lifetime contract by the consent of her parents which when looked at under the eyes of the Law becomes slavery..

- Discrimination: Since the law frowns upon discrimination, then whats good for the goose is also good for the Gander. Basically meaning according to you o a Male under the age of 18 can also get married as long as he has the consent of his parents and is determined to be mature both mentally & physically. So lets assume two legal minors decide to get married and they get the consent of their parents, according to you, they can marry. BUT! Since they are legally still minors, the contract would be entered into by their parents on their behalf. Now should they breach the terms of the contract, should they be tried as adults or as Minors?! Should the Parents serve the sentence as well on behalf of the minors or should the minors face the consequences themselves?! OR should they be tried as juveniles that they are?!

- Limitations: Since you are saying that Minors can do what legal Adults can do 'with the backing of their parents', why stop at marriage?! Should a Mentally & physically mature minor of all ages be able to do the following things reserved strictly for adults as well;

1. Vote.
2. Drive
3. Have consentual sex
4. Run for certain Public offices
5. Go to war
6. Smoke
7. Drink alcohol
e.t.c

Basically do all things that are open to adults as long as they have 'the consent of their parents' and are mentally and physically mature..

- Maturity: How do we measure the Maturity level of a Minor? especially the Mental Maturity of a Minor?! Is there a known scale of measurement?! Is this to be done by a Psychiatrist or the parents or is this determined by the Minor?! How do we determine that an 11yr old girl|boy child is mentally & physically mature enough to be married?!

#I'm just curious o...

Abokis... Keeping Nigerian shoes shiny since 1822

5 Likes

Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by ceejayluv(m): 11:52am On Sep 06, 2013

Lousy plonkers!
No "bill" was signed...
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Paschal007: 11:53am On Sep 06, 2013
Hats off to Stella and the other havard guy.

1 Like

Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by idadaniel: 11:54am On Sep 06, 2013
ibromich, can u giv yur daughter out at d age of 14?
girls are forced into things dat should be beyond their age thereby losin their innocence and u say people ve diff genes so some mature faster than odas.
guys wats bad is BAD, stop sugarcoatin this dastardly act
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by ceejayluv(m): 11:55am On Sep 06, 2013
abdulkayus: I call it early marriage nt child marriage. Who set d age of marriage shld be 18? Hw many gals are gettin pregnant and becomin mother b4 d age of 18? In some develop countries, d age of marriage is even less than 18. Wat am sayin is dat marriage age shld nt be peg at 18 bt at wen d gal mature to be able to handle pregnancy. And dat is wat Yerima is sayin. Dis early marriage has been happenin for long time in d north, and i havent heard any noise den. In d south esp d south west, we have high rate of teenage pregnancy and teenage mother out of wedlock or even droppin out of school. Nobody make noise abt dat one. VVF is nt an early marriage things bt a poverty things. US and UK has one of d highest rate of teenage mother and dey dont have VVF.
All wat am sayin is dat marriage shld nt be peg to a particular age bt marriage shld be due wen d gal is mature enuf to handle pregnancy. After all, nobody is forcing u to give ur daughter out at ant either early age or late age.
Salam.
As simple as that. God bless rationality.
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by stantob(m): 11:59am On Sep 06, 2013
Yerima and Akintola Ishaq,you both are BIG DISGRACE.
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Iamvictor(m): 12:05pm On Sep 06, 2013
(In Dbanj voice) Don't get it twisted that yerima is a stupid man..
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by bskyb(m): 12:07pm On Sep 06, 2013
abdulkkayus........ I think you should research VVF very well. VVF is a lot more common in the young than in adults. It is simply due to tearing of the wall of the birth canal and/or rectum, thereby producing an unnatural communication.Poverty does not cause these tears, it is simply cause by subjecting the lining to stress that it can not bear.These things are easily available for us to research.

secondly, about age. We should ask ourselves a simple question: Does age have anything to do with maturity? If yes, when do wethink teenagers can make decisions and bear the consequences of such decisions on their own.

Thirdly, I strongly believe that if you trully love a lady/girl as the case maybe, it wont cost you so much to wait for a few more years for her to mature, if only to reduce the risk of VVF, especially a man who has other women to keep him satisfied while waiting.

Please, We should leave US and UK and talk about ourselves, If they perform human rituals in UK, does that make it acceptable to us?? We should just address these issues based on its effect on our society.

1 Like

Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by bskyb(m): 12:15pm On Sep 06, 2013
I think the answer is glaring to all of us. If your religion does not stipulate a particular age for marriage just like christianity and islam do not, then it makes sense to act in the best interest of humanity. What will it cost a 53 year old man with 4 wives to wait four more years for a 12 year old that he claims he loves to attain maturity before marrying her? maturity in this case talks about reducing the likelihood of having pregnancy and birth complications, not the presence of nipples or breast tissue as the case may be. By the way I have seen a 6 year old with breasts (precocious puberty). Please, lets leave religion aside and talk about the impact of early marriage.
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Sagamite(m): 12:29pm On Sep 06, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Ishaq Akintola = Lagos State University PROFESSOR!

PROFESSOR O!

Those are the kinds of fucktards educating people in Nigeria.

And when I call fucktards on NL products of a failed education system, some people would be frowning that I am arrogant. grin grin grin

The cretin called Ishaq Akintola is so dumb his arguments makes me what to bitchslap the murrafucker to stupor.

"I am not taking a Xtian daughter to give to a Muslim man, I am taking a Muslim daughter to give to a Muslim man. So it is okay".

I feel like beating the fck out of this cretinous fool.

If anyone in LASU has his email address, please forward it to me. I want to take the pleasure in educating his moronic, dumb arsse.

4 Likes

Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by coogar: 12:31pm On Sep 06, 2013
bskyb: abdulkkayus........ I think you should research VVF very well. VVF is a lot more common in the young than in adults. It is simply due to tearing of the wall of the birth canal and/or rectum, thereby producing an unnatural communication.Poverty does not cause these tears, it is simply cause by subjecting the lining to stress that it can not bear.These things are easily available for us to research.

you are pissing in the wind.....
VVF is a poverty disease. if all the 10 year old girls in the US/UK get pregnant today, not a single one of them would have to treat VVF. it's nothing to do with the age or underdeveloped organs. quality medical services in ante/postnatal care in the north would eradicate VVF. grab a book and read!

1 Like

Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by mancheeutd(m): 12:37pm On Sep 06, 2013
Watched the debate on aljazeera professor AKintola only disgraced himself Wat a shame imagine him saying it's a religion thing and should be left alone I wonder when Nigeria became a Muslim country
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by nora544: 12:43pm On Sep 06, 2013
Do you realy know what problems a woman has with VVF, there is a hospitla in Kenya where the search an help this woman and there are still some with all the modern medicin they have there they cannot help them.

In Kenya there is a village for this woman who have to life with this, you don't know that this woman where dump from there husbands because they are durty, they have to life away from there family because they are durty, please read it. It is always the woman you lose not the man.

I know from girls in Kenya wo where dump from there husband because they are durty because they have VVF.

In the europa countries and in america a girl who is pregnat will have a cesarian because it is safer.
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by idu1(m): 12:45pm On Sep 06, 2013
This issue really convince me that many nigerian so call graduates are slowspokes. For the fact that many doesn't understand what the bill said. smh for nigerian future leaders.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Overview of President Goodluck Jonathan's Government 2010 - 2015 / Okowa Commissions A Mega Filling Station In Asaba (Photos) / PDP Members Attacked In Ipo Omademe, Ikwerre Rivers State. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.