Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,483 members, 7,823,117 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:22 AM

Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM (27482 Views)

Senator Yerima: "Biafra Struggle Is Legitimate" - Daily Times / Lai Mohammed And Senator Godswill Akpabio Pictured Together / Letter To President Buhari Warns Against EFCC Boss Lamorde And Senator Akpabio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by boldsylvie(f): 1:41am On Sep 07, 2013
tongue Yerima shame shamme shame? Shame!
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Nobody: 3:57am On Sep 07, 2013
Mr Aboki:

Okay.. So you are clearer now;

You support that under-aged marriage as long as Parental consent is gotten and the girl is Mentally & Physically Mature.. cool

THE LAW

So according to the constitution of Nigeria, here are some points that we cant argue;

1. The Legal age for one to be declared an Adult is 18yrs. Everybody under 18ys is considered a Minor irrespective of sex..

2. Only adults can enter into a Contract in Nigeria.

3. Marriage is a contract between 2 Adults. With consequences for breaching said contract ranging from Fines to jail time.

5. Slavery of all kind is a crime in Nigeria.

My Analysis of your point.

- According to you, a legal minor can get married and be bound by the laws governing marriage in Nigeria as long as her parents give consent. Since she is still a legal Minor, she would be tied into a lifetime contract by the consent of her parents which when looked at under the eyes of the Law becomes slavery..

- Discrimination: Since the law frowns upon discrimination, then whats good for the goose is also good for the Gander. Basically meaning according to you o a Male under the age of 18 can also get married as long as he has the consent of his parents and is determined to be mature both mentally & physically. So lets assume two legal minors decide to get married and they get the consent of their parents, according to you, they can marry. BUT! Since they are legally still minors, the contract would be entered into by their parents on their behalf. Now should they breach the terms of the contract, should they be tried as adults or as Minors?! Should the Parents serve the sentence as well on behalf of the minors or should the minors face the consequences themselves?! OR should they be tried as juveniles that they are?!

- Limitations: Since you are saying that Minors can do what legal Adults can do 'with the backing of their parents', why stop at marriage?! Should a Mentally & physically mature minor of all ages be able to do the following things reserved strictly for adults as well;

1. Vote.
2. Drive
3. Have consentual sex
4. Run for certain Public offices
5. Go to war
6. Smoke
7. Drink alcohol
e.t.c

Basically do all things that are open to adults as long as they have 'the consent of their parents' and are mentally and physically mature..

- Maturity: How do we measure the Maturity level of a Minor? especially the Mental Maturity of a Minor?! Is there a known scale of measurement?! Is this to be done by a Psychiatrist or the parents or is this determined by the Minor?! How do we determine that an 11yr old girl|boy child is mentally & physically mature enough to be married?!

#I'm just curious o...

Abokis... Keeping Nigerian shoes shiny since 1822
Of all said, your analysis is the only sensible argument here
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by musiwa1h: 5:38am On Sep 07, 2013
stella damascus is wrong.. canada and the usa and many western countries allow 16 years old to get married if the parent agree.

my believe and people many not agree with me. all women should get married early in life , so that they can have children. medically a woman body heal fasting.

one of the major problem of nigeria is the deceit by many churches who exploit their church member with miracle. You can see this nigeria crowd. and most of them are women who are been deceive by pastors.

The church in Nigeria is exploiting people with miracle. Why do this women need miracle if i may ask. It is because they fail to get married early in life. And because they have been deceive to believe there is a supernatural pastors who can give them children at a older age. Most of this miracle things in Nigeria churches are scam or 419. I have been a Christian for a long time. alot of nigeria pastors are 419.

If we do thing right , people would not need miracle.

I have called for the reduction of the NYSC to just 6 month.

What does the bible says about a woman getting married early, the people want women to get married before the age of 25. The bible specifically want all women to get married before the age of 25. That is why the bible talk about the wife of your youth.

The bible says there is a time for everything and a season to be born. There is a time for a woman to have children. One pastors telling you, he can do miracle for 60 years old women to have baby is a scam. You most ask the question , why have this same supernatural pastors not made their own wife pregrant at the age of 60 years , but they go about telling innocent women at 60 years, they can do miracle. Does that not tell you. they are scam artisit or 419.

I women should by the age of 16 according to canadian and USA law should be ready to start having children with parental approval.

You dont want your failure to be a testimony to others.

Some of us because born again at 13 and we had to leave some churches because we did not find anything Godly about them. One of the things about Godliness, it is telling people the honest truth. And the nigeria church as failed to be a honest church because of money.

I am a kind of person. I dont get involve with all the scam the church in Nigeria get involve , miracle scam etc.. because they are destroying many women lifes in Nigeria.

Stella demascus have been brain wash by some of this churches, but to be honest with you. to be honest with you, if a woman attend my church by 25 she most be married. If she is not, i will make her , one of my wives, (Plural).

Jesus believe in polygamy. And I do.

[size=28pt]
A woman will need miracle if she fail to get married early in life. You cant be using the time, you are expected to have children to be going to school. Only a foool does that.
[/size]

Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Mustay(m): 5:50am On Sep 07, 2013
Paschal007:

I dunno the point you're trying to make here. The first question they asked him was if he married a 13yr old and he answered affirmative.

If you didn't watch the other video how am I to know you watched this one you posted. Again what's your point?
ejo lo fe ro
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Muscomide: 8:08am On Sep 07, 2013
Professor Ishaq Akintola! A Professor From LASU This fellow has done a great disservice to the academia in Nigeria. 'Agbero' Prof.
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Sagamite(m): 8:34am On Sep 07, 2013
RoyPCain: neither the muslim harvard doctoral candidate lawyer in boston nor the camp of the lagos professor blindly fighting against norm along with the senator who is tunnel visioned is correct based on The Quran or the implementation of it by Sunnah or Hadith. each group focused solely on a narrow strip of a very wide boulevard.

reaching puberty alone is not what defines the minimum age for marriage in Islam. what is marriage marriage consists the physical and mental. what applies to woman applies to man. man is not always the victim holding the short end of the stick because he has the ace card of pronouncement of divorce while the woman may wish to hang on still. our concern should therefore be about woman protection; entering marriage willing without be forced or deceived [cajoled, coasted] into to do so without her personal interest or benefit as number 1 and not understanding or ready for the duties and/or lacking the mental rigor that it demands.

so the minimum entry stage to reach therefore is puberty [physiology] on one hand coupled with mental maturity [emotional wisdom]. the emotional wisdom outweighs the puberty in the sense that reaching puberty alone can not qualify anyone suddenly becoming marriage worthy, even though categorized as adult because of the signs of puberty.

let me say that one needs to look at other so called monotheistic religion to realize that Islam with the mental qualification prepares man or woman better for the institution of matrimony. what am i saying here, regardless of what the muslims are doing, which may actually be different from what Islam prescribes?

This appears to be your opinion.

I would have said it appears to be your interpretation if you had provided good evidence from the Quran or Hadiths where you got this perception from.

I am sure the Yerimas of this world would easily find some aspects of the Quran to help them generate their own interpretation to satisfy their hebephilia and paedophilia.

RoyPCain:
Stella Damascus being a non muslim has her christian right and if she wants part of it obliterated by national law, fine. I am sure she will not like it if she is told not to marry in christian tradition or read the Bible, assuming she agrees that churches may not be erected. Stella can't argue blindly almost through the conversation as she did. she must be sensitive to the religious right of others regardless of how foreign they may be to her.

at the end of the day, i think the senator bamboozled the parents of the young girl, who is now forced to juggled together two institutions; motherhood with education. each by itself demand full time attention at all times. she is a superwoman doing this at this tender age.

This is not even half a valid argument.

In a sane society, if your religious practice(s) directly harms a minor, then to hell with your religious right.

When you are an adult, you are free to join a religion or engage in a religious practice that harms you. Sane sovereign states need to protect their minors from lunacy irrespective of whether it has a religious stamp or not.

So Stella not being happy her religious right is being obliterated by national law is irrelevant as long as that religious right harms minors that are not old enough to make sound choices and whom the adults have powers to force harmful choices on.

Your religious rights should only be valid if they apply to only you as an ADULT!

RoyPCain:
from the Quran about mental capability/sound mind in judgement.

from Hadith of the prophet [SA]

Reading this evidence does not appear to be directly linked to marriage.

It appears to be your own interpretation which you deem it "indirectly" relates to marriage.

One danger you face is that paedophile Yerima would bring his own evidence from the Quran or an Hadith that DIRECTLY relates to marriage.

1 Like

Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Sagamite(m): 8:45am On Sep 07, 2013
musiwa1h: stella damascus is wrong.. canada and the usa and many western countries allow 16 years old to get married if the parent agree.

my believe and people many not agree with me. all women should get married early in life , so that they can have children. medically a woman body heal fasting.

one of the major problem of nigeria is the deceit by many churches who exploit their church member with miracle. You can see this nigeria crowd. and most of them are women who are been deceive by pastors.

The church in Nigeria is exploiting people with miracle. Why do this women need miracle if i may ask. It is because they fail to get married early in life. And because they have been deceive to believe there is a supernatural pastors who can give them children at a older age. Most of this miracle things in Nigeria churches are scam or 419. I have been a Christian for a long time. alot of nigeria pastors are 419.

If we do thing right , people would not need miracle.

I have called for the reduction of the NYSC to just 6 month.

What does the bible says about a woman getting married early, the people want women to get married before the age of 25. The bible specifically want all women to get married before the age of 25. That is why the bible talk about the wife of your youth.

The bible says there is a time for everything and a season to be born. There is a time for a woman to have children. One pastors telling you, he can do miracle for 60 years old women to have baby is a scam. You most ask the question , why have this same supernatural pastors not made their own wife pregrant at the age of 60 years , but they go about telling innocent women at 60 years, they can do miracle. Does that not tell you. they are scam artisit or 419.

I women should by the age of 16 according to canadian and USA law should be ready to start having children with parental approval.

You dont want your failure to be a testimony to others.

Some of us because born again at 13 and we had to leave some churches because we did not find anything Godly about them. One of the things about Godliness, it is telling people the honest truth. And the nigeria church as failed to be a honest church because of money.

I am a kind of person. I dont get involve with all the scam the church in Nigeria get involve , miracle scam etc.. because they are destroying many women lifes in Nigeria.

Stella demascus have been brain wash by some of this churches, but to be honest with you. to be honest with you, if a woman attend my church by 25 she most be married. If she is not, i will make her , one of my wives, (Plural).

Jesus believe in polygamy. And I do.

[size=28pt]
A woman will need miracle if she fail to get married early in life. You cant be using the time, you are expected to have children to be going to school. Only a foool does that.
[/size]

I am assuming this is the reetard formerly known as Becomerich? grin

1 Like

Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by tunapawizzy: 9:27am On Sep 07, 2013
NL member:

I heard that her father is a poor chauffeur and Yerima married the man's daughter in exchange for a huge sum of money that could significantly better the poor man's lot.
Also, yes, you are correct. the poor child cannot say no to her husband's amorous advances regardless of how physically traumatic those advances are.

According to Muslim sources (Hadith)

When a man calls his wife for sexxual intimacy and she refuses him, thus he spends the night in anger, then the angels curse her until morning.� (Sahih al-Bukhari & Sahih Muslim, See: Riyad al-Salihin, No. 281
ISLAM IS BULLSHYTE
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by ogaju007(m): 12:09pm On Sep 07, 2013
tunapawizzy:
ISLAM IS BULLSHYTE

I second that.
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by politicalpastor: 12:45pm On Sep 07, 2013
this Akintola is an ANIMAL IN HUMAN SKIN.
HE IS JUST SAYING SOME ELSE. AND THEY CALLED HIM
A PROFFESSOR ? OH GOD.
I.Joan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nypkT5OewuA
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by oniyarabi(m): 1:21pm On Sep 07, 2013
[/color]Yemeni teenager flees over marriage proposal
Posted by: Sonia Nwosuin News, News Update, UncategorizedJuly 23, 2013
An 11-year old Yemini girl, Nada Al-Ahdals, posted on YouTube her reasons for escaping from home earlier this month. The video was translated from Arabic by the Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI) and contains subtitles.
In the video, the little girl gives a passionate speech why she ran away from home and pleaded with her family not to sell her off in an arranged marriage. She gave an example of her mother’s sister who was married off at the age of 14years and set herself ablaze.
Nada claimed the man would beat her mum’s sister with metal [chains]. He would get drunk. “She lasted one year with her husband, and she poured gasoline over herself and set herself on fire. She died.”
Nada explained why she ran to her uncle who is in fact against child marriage. The girlblasted her parents and called them “criminals” and she in fact said she would rather die than be married off at such a young age.
She, however, did not blame Islam for the problem but rather blamed the perverse cultural practices of her people. She even began the video with the Islamic greeting of ‘Salaam ‘Alaykum’. Islam is clear that forced marriage is a sin.
The Daily Mail provides more information about Nada’s saga, reporting that she is one of eight children and that she was allowed to move in with her uncle at the age of three. Recently, a Yemen citizen asked for Nada’s hand in marriage and the girl’s mother agreed.

Tagged with:
: Stella Damascus blasts proponents of child marriage[color=#000099]Yemeni teenager flees over marriage proposal
An 11-year old Yemini girl, Nada Al-Ahdals, posted on YouTube her reasons for escaping from home earlier this month. The video was translated from Arabic by the Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI) and contains subtitles.
In the video, the little girl gives a passionate speech why she ran away from home and pleaded with her family not to sell her off in an arranged marriage. She gave an example of her mother’s sister who was married off at the age of 14years and set herself ablaze.
Nada claimed the man would beat her mum’s sister with metal [chains]. He would get drunk. “She lasted one year with her husband, and she poured gasoline over herself and set herself on fire. She died.”
Nada explained why she ran to her uncle who is in fact against child marriage. The girlblasted her parents and called them “criminals” and she in fact said she would rather die than be married off at such a young age.
She, however, did not blame Islam for the problem but rather blamed the perverse cultural practices of her people. She even began the video with the Islamic greeting of ‘Salaam ‘Alaykum’. Islam is clear that forced marriage is a sin.
The Daily Mail provides more information about Nada’s saga, reporting that she is one of eight children and that she was allowed to move in with her uncle at the age of three. Recently, a Yemen citizen asked for Nada’s hand in marriage and the girl’s mother agreed.

Tagged with:
: Stella Damascus blasts proponents of child marriage
Yemeni teenager flees over marriage proposal

Tagged with:
: Stella Damascus blasts proponents of child marriage
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by porka: 8:31pm On Sep 07, 2013
idu1: This issue really convince me that many nigerian so call graduates are slowspokes. For the fact that many doesn't understand what the bill said. smh for nigerian future leaders.

This your un-slowpoke comment get as e be.

1 Like

Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Mamacita007(f): 9:54pm On Sep 07, 2013
boldsylvie: tongue Yerima shame shamme shame? Shame!

llooooooll the thing vex u abii. he's so irritating
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Sagamite(m): 7:13pm On Sep 08, 2013
The same silly argument about "our rights to practice our religion" is the same argument Wahhabists would use to defend their destruction of women's lives in Saudi Arabia.

The women do not have the freedom to live their lives as they choose or develop themselves in Saudi Arabia because there are laws there that (based on Wahhabi interpretation) dictate they should be locked up and made second class citizens. It is even a freaking challenge for them to get something as simple as exercise.

Okay, lets say these Wahhabists have "rights to practice their religion" and the women agree with these rights. The only way these women can ever live a life of choice, self-development and self-determination is by leaving the country which has such laws. Unfortunately, under the "rights to practice their religion" of Wahhabists, that is not her independent choice, she needs the special permission of a male to leave the country. They are not allowed to leave the country unless the father, male guardian, husband or even her pubescent son give explicit permission.

So if these women, ADULT WOMEN o, do not have an understanding or open minded male owners who can tolerate her going to "sinful" countries, she cannot dream of leaving Saudi Arabia to live a life of choice, self-development and self-determination like any sane fundamental human rights would allow because these Wahhabists have "rights to practice their religion".

So lets look at the final option. Since these laws based on Wahhabists' "rights to practice their religion" is applicable to only Muslim women citizen of the country. Her final hope is to stop being a Muslim so she can leave the country to go and live a life of choice, self-development and self-determination. Alas, that is apostasy. Once she does that, her punishment is to be sentenced to death for renouncing her religion, Islam, because Wahhabists have "rights to practice their religion".

So these women are stuck their entire life because some people think they have "rights to practice their religion".

Fck your right to practice your religion if you are going to eliminate other's choices and damage their lives. Your right to practice your religion, if harmful/restrictive, should only be allowed if you are the only one that is going to get fcked up with your decisions otherwise a sane state can restrain your right to practice your religion.

3 Likes

Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Sagamite(m): 4:06pm On Sep 09, 2013
The right to practice my religion my freaking arsse!!!

https://www.nairaland.com/1431184/8-year-old-yemeni-bride-dies-internal
Re: Stella Damasus And Senator Yerima On Al-jazeera Network THE STREAM by Nonsolia(m): 10:06pm On Sep 10, 2013
The AJStream is a short programme. But the Harvard guy and Stella managed to be coherent enough. The Prof and senator Yerima woefully failed to put in any convincing points. My humble take on the debate is that all married people are not adults and shouldn't be confirmed as such as Yerima is clamouring for. Practise whatever you like but don't make it binding on all citizens by allowing it into the laws of a multi-religious entity like Nigeria!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Okowa Commissions A Mega Filling Station In Asaba (Photos) / PDP Members Attacked In Ipo Omademe, Ikwerre Rivers State. Photos / Abuja Declaration Of The OIC In 1989

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.