Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,257 members, 7,849,934 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 11:44 AM

Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men (17148 Views)

Osun Public Servants, Retirees At Winners Chapel For Food Today (pics) / N150m Loot: Army Panel Indicts Winners Chapel / Oshiomhole Appoints Ex-Convict As Edo State Tax Collector General (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by Nobody: 12:57pm On Sep 07, 2013
I have come to notice that once their's a slight altercation or news involving a church of God, we(especially christians) are quick to pass negative judgment on that church. It is more saddening that you can hardly see a muslim make such derogatory comments on islamic clerics and alfas,they respect their leaders. Because of this our new found attitude towards the church,journalists now look for negative scoops that will create sensational headlines for them. Please let's not take this grace too far. Let's atleast copy the muslims on respect for their leaders.
Reading this news piece,it was the school authorities that attacked the state officials but when the chairman read the press statement,he had to include the church as part of those that attacked them just to make more headline and attract wider attention.
I am most certain that these tax officials like every other government agency had gone there exhibitting a high level of high handedness. In Lagos,you see them everywhere,Lastma,kai, even local govt touts who now impound cars too. Its as if they can do and undo once they have a little government backing. They are the accuser,judge and abitter once you fall into their trap.Ogun state seems to be getting worse in this by the day.
Let's not be quick to judge without hearing the side of the school authorities(not even the church). Let's not be quick to drag the church's name into the mud.
Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by jairusben(m): 1:03pm On Sep 07, 2013
SUBMARINE: Yes we must pay our taxes just as Jesus instructed us. But may I ask the ogun state govt, the air they breath do they pay for it.? Lets be wise enough to avoid unknowing showing ungratefulness to God.
ur so dame pointless
Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by Delafruita(m): 1:04pm On Sep 07, 2013
tallceejay:

I beg to say this...with all due respect. Your account is so one sided..."in the course of discussion,our men were beaten blue black and our equipment were destroyed" will anyone just started being anoda blue black in the course of a discussion??

I've witnessed a visitation by tax officials, I'd say they r arguable d worst set of people to deal with! People think VIO is wicked ?? Wait and meet with diz tax guys!

No doubt, taxes must be paid. Even the bible advices that. I'd say, someone was provoked and it ensused in physical assault, both parties were wrong.

VIO once took my car down to their office for a rather ridiculous reason and I had to pay a hefty fine and produce my tax clearance.however,they were just doing their job.if I had avoided that ridiculous reason,they would have had no case.point is the tax guys were doin their job
Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by Nobody: 1:11pm On Sep 07, 2013
maggilove: Please lets mind the words of our mouth, its possible those people did it in their own jurisdiction. Oyedepo might not know anything about it, the staff of the school are to blame in this case.
Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by AkamuandStew: 1:18pm On Sep 07, 2013
SUBMARINE: Must u guys insult me because of my opinion. Those insulting me did I say they shouldnt pay tax.? No, what I did is to appeal to the govt to see religious bodies as partners in development and probably insist they provide affordable best of services...

Allowing a dunce like you bring children into this world is a crime against humanity....

cool

1 Like

Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by Nobody: 1:21pm On Sep 07, 2013
I have come to notice that once their's a slight altercation or news involving a church of God, we(especially christians) are quick to pass negative judgment on that church. It is more saddening that you can hardly see a muslim make such derogatory comments on islamic clerics and alfas,they respect their leaders. Because of this our new found attitude towards the church,journalists now look for negative scoops that will create sensational headlines for them. Please let's not take this grace too far. Let's atleast copy the muslims on respect for their leaders.
Reading this news piece,it was the school authorities that attacked the state officials but when the chairman read the press statement,he had to include the church as part of those that attacked them just to make more headline and attract wider attention.
I am most certain that these tax officials like every other government agency had gone there exhibitting a high level of high handedness. In Lagos,you see them everywhere,Lastma,kai, even local govt touts who now impound cars too. Its as if they can do and undo once they have a little government backing. They are the accuser,judge and abitter once you fall into their trap.Ogun state seems to be getting worse in this by the day.
Let's not be quick to judge without hearing the side of the school authorities(not even the church). Let's not be quick to drag the church's name into the mud. And those christians who blindly argue that churches must pay tax, how often do you see talks about mosques or alfas paying tax by muslims?

2 Likes

Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by Leopantro: 1:22pm On Sep 07, 2013
plusfield: I have come to notice that once their's a slight altercation or news involving a church of God, we(especially christians) are quick to pass negative judgment on that church. It is more saddening that you can hardly see a muslim make such derogatory comments on islamic clerics and alfas,they respect their leaders. Because of this our new found attitude towards the church,journalists now look for negative scoops that will create sensational headlines for them. Please let's not take this grace too far. Let's atleast copy the muslims on respect for their leaders.
Let's not be quick to judge without hearing the side of the school authorities(not even the church). Let's not be quick to drag the church's name into the mud.

but the church was issued reminders about the tax indebtedness and they ignored it. I mentioned church because the church owns the school involved. imagine you are a landlord and you have a tenant that has refused to pay for how long?
Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by AkamuandStew: 1:26pm On Sep 07, 2013
plusfield: I have come to notice that once their's a slight altercation or news involving a church of God, we(especially christians) are quick to pass negative judgment on that church. It is more saddening that you can hardly see a muslim make such derogatory comments on islamic clerics and alfas,they respect their leaders. Because of this our new found attitude towards the church,journalists now look for negative scoops that will create sensational headlines for them. Please let's not take this grace too far. Let's atleast copy the muslims on respect for their leaders.

Now Muslims are your Role Models...abi??

Yet you're the same folks who rush to insult them whenever a bomb goes off in the north..

Hypocrites..... Just like your pastorpreneurs.

1 Like

Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by Leopantro: 1:31pm On Sep 07, 2013
for those insisting that the tax collectors should not have gone to the school ( despite owing the state for 10 years) or concerning taxing the church in general, read this

Jesus and his followers went to
Capernaum. In Capernaum
some men came to Peter. They
were the men that collected the
two-drachma tax. They asked,
"Does your teacher pay the
two-drachma tax?" Peter
answered, "Yes, Jesus pays the
tax." Peter went into the house
where Jesus was. Before Peter
could speak, Jesus said to him,
"The kings on the earth get
different kinds of taxes from
people. But who are the people
that pay the taxes? Are these
people the king's children? Or is
it other people that pay the
taxes? What do you think?"
Peter answered, "The other
people pay the taxes." Jesus
said, "Then the children of the
king don't have to pay taxes.
But we don't want to make
these tax collectors angry. So
{pay the tax in this way}: Go to
the lake and fish. After you
catch the first fish, open the
fish's mouth. Inside its mouth
you will find a four-drachma
coin. Take that coin and give it
to the tax collectors. That will
pay the tax for you and me."
— Matthew 17:24-27
Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by Leopantro: 1:35pm On Sep 07, 2013
I believe the word Christian means christ-like, right? read below

Jesus paid taxes. Not because HE
had to, but to serve as a good
example. The Temple belonged to
His Father. Yet, he had Peter paid
the tax for both of them.
On another occasion when the Jews
tried to trap Jesus by asking, “Is it
lawful to pay taxes to Caesar?”
The Jews hated the Roman rule. The
emperors were immoral and corrupt.
They were pagans. And they made
life difficult for God’s people. So,
Jesus gave them a pass. Right?
Wrong!
He said show me a coin. Then
asked whose inscription was on it.
When they answered, “Caesar’s.” He
said, “Render therefore to Caesar the
things that are Caesar’s, and to God
the things that are God’s.” (Matt.
22:15-22).
But what were Christians told to do
after the church was established?
Revolt? Rebel? Refuse to pay taxes
to an ungodly government?
No! Paul said, “Let every soul be
subject to the governing authorities.
For there is no authority except from
God, and the authorities that exist are
appointed by God..For because of
this you also pay taxes, for they are
God’s ministers attending continually
to this very thing. Render therefore to
all their due: taxes to whom taxes are
due, customs to whom customs, fear
to whom fear, honor to whom honor.
(Rom. 13:1,6-cool

1 Like

Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by ThaProphet(m): 1:36pm On Sep 07, 2013
You'd be surprised!

metti:
Overbearing attitude in developed world? That is not true, the have laid down rules for such matters and they are guided in a civil manner by the rules. You dare not manhandle the person or cart away his properties. He still has some right despite the offence.
Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by 99cent: 1:49pm On Sep 07, 2013
SUBMARINE: Although Christ told us to pay our tax, I believe a wise govt should avoid taxing businesses of religious organizations, seeing it as their way of apprenciating God's mercy.

This attitude from people like you is what makes Nigeria corrupt.
So Dangote should now go and open church or mosque so that he can avoid taxes on his business?

1 Like

Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by NOLONGTIN1(m): 2:17pm On Sep 07, 2013
Delafruita: how did his asset become so large?irrespective of how large his assets are,should the government be deprived of its due?besides acording to the report below,they owed for over 7years.so in seven years,daddy G. O never bothers to know that a school founded by his church which charges almost 200,000 naira for a JSS1 student hasnt paid taxes.

"What they owed is below two million naira,it is from 2003 to 2010.We have sent several notices to them.The first one was in 2010 followed by that of 2011 and the last was in May 2013.Our men were explaining to them when some personnel including their legal officer and accountant came out and in the course of discussion,our men were beaten blue black and our equipment were destroyed"

Which equipment?? Pencil and biros?

You sent them mail several times urging them to pay their bills, if they refused as you claimed, why didn't you report to the police since they broke Ogun state's tax law(s)??

Instead you sent the taxman to the school to do what?? Collect it on the spot?? Really?? The school is supposed to count 2million then hand it over to them??

In my own opinion, also considering we are in Nigeria, I believe they wanted bribe, they went to collect bribe from the school. If that isn't the case, I can't think of any reason why those men would go to the school to collect tax if the school refused to pay it after several letters, will they change their minds on seeing the men......... A reasonable person /government would have involved/reported to the police, since the school broke the law instead of sending touts!!
Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by tallceejay(m): 2:50pm On Sep 07, 2013
Originalsly: Name me a country in which you can refuse the revenue authority from going through any business records? ...to assault an agent would be asking for a long time in prison...to detain them you would more likely be facing kidnapping and many more charges...to destroy the state property is even more charges. The wrath of the state will be on you and prison will be your home for years and years to come. But here we are...no charges filed. Is the State afraid of the Church? Is the Church above the law?

Aint u deviating from d subject ? D post-up said "school" not church. Its easy to always rope a church into arguments like dis just to make headline. That's y d title didn't say "tax officers Fight teachers"

1 Like

Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by tallceejay(m): 2:53pm On Sep 07, 2013
99cent:

This attitude from people like you is what makes Nigeria corrupt.
So Dangote should now go and open church or mosque so that he can avoid taxes on his business?

U r so smart ! U'd open a mosque just to avoid taxes ! Wud u? Oh lemme guess, ur mosque wud produce noodles, rice, cement, flour !

1 Like

Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by Xriss: 2:56pm On Sep 07, 2013
Jesus never asked Christians to pay tithe but Pastor must collect tithe, first fruit and seed........

Jesus asked Christians to pay tax but Pastor will disobey and fight the government........

....but people will never study and follow God's word.....they will be following pastor
Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by AdoreKIZITO(f): 2:58pm On Sep 07, 2013
spongeback: Expect there big daddy to praise there actions, after all the violent will take it by force. undecided
you're jealous... Sorry 4 u
Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by tallceejay(m): 2:59pm On Sep 07, 2013
Delafruita: VIO once took my car down to their office for a rather ridiculous reason and I had to pay a hefty fine and produce my tax clearance.however,they were just doing their job.if I had avoided that ridiculous reason,they would have had no case.point is the tax guys were doin their job

I agree they were doing their job...however they shud learn to conduct demselves in a civil way to avoiÐ provocation .Y not get d police involved since they claim d school has defaultered ? Not like they wud hv collected d payment in cash or hv d right to make an arrest

1 Like

Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by Xriss: 3:13pm On Sep 07, 2013
NO LONG TIN:

Which equipment?? Pencil and biros?

You sent them mail several times urging them to pay their bills, if they refused as you claimed, why didn't you report to the police since they broke Ogun state's tax law(s)??

Instead you sent the taxman to the school to do what?? Collect it on the spot?? Really?? The school is supposed to count 2million then hand it over to them??

In my own opinion, also considering we are in Nigeria, I believe they wanted bribe, they went to collect bribe from the school. If that isn't the case, I can't think of any reason why those men would go to the school to collect tax if the school refused to pay it after several letters, will they change their minds on seeing the men......... A reasonable person /government would have involved/reported to the police, since the school broke the law instead of sending touts!!

After sending several mails without reply, the tax officials have every right to physically go there to inform the school authorities incase the letters sent didn't arrive,..... In developed countries, people are sometimes paid to serve court notices personally and get a pix of the notice being served.

Keep you opinion to yourself because it is one of many possibilities.....when looking for fact opinions become like the azzhole, everybody has got one and we don't want to know how yours looks like.....

The people who went are government officials like the police and not touts.....they are men doing their jobs and God loves them like he loves your pastor....... if you feel okay calling people touts then what do we call your pastor who prides in slapping children and your church workers who beat up people......even if they were touts no one should be attacked by so called Christians in a so called church......

BY THEIR FRUITS WE SHALL KNOW THEM
Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by Nobody: 3:13pm On Sep 07, 2013

How did you get here? Did someone leave your cage open?
undecided
AdoreKIZITO: you're jealous... Sorry 4 u
Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by anigold(m): 3:13pm On Sep 07, 2013
koonbey: After taxing the "Sheep" to build the School,charging obscene amounts there;they begin giving "holy Ghost Slap"s to Government Officials who come to collect what is due unto the Government. undecided

wao this so anti-oyedepo...
Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by NOLONGTIN1(m): 3:20pm On Sep 07, 2013
Let's not be quick to judge without hearing the side of the school authorities(not even the church). Let's not be quick to drag the church's name into the mud. And those christians who blindly argue that churches must pay tax, how often do you see talks about mosques or alfas paying tax by muslims?

I understand you point of view, but I don't think we not should emulate the Muslim.

One of the many reason I like about being a Christian is our ability to question ourselves, now although it's the school and not the church workers that 'allegedly' fought the taxmen, Christians would have called the church to order if they(the church) had beaten them.

So, it's a good thing we question ourselves when we go wrong but we must do that peacefull without insults, it helps us grow - not by killing or threatening people who write, print or say negative stuffs about us, our God or the church.

Now because we have heard different stuff from people, we don't react violently when things are said about us compare to our Muslim brothers.

We should continue to criticize ourselves constructively, it will make us stronger /grow in this our race
Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by NOLONGTIN1(m): 3:35pm On Sep 07, 2013
Xriss: Jesus never asked Christians to pay tithe but Pastor must collect tithe, first fruit and seed........

Jesus asked Christians to pay tax but Pastor will disobey and fight the government........

....but people will never study and follow God's word.....they will be following pastor

LWKMD!!! Why do Muslims feel they know the Bible better than Christians when they have never studied it, they base their facts on what their imams tell them, forgetting they(imams) try hard to paint Christians in a bad light so that the Muslims don't try to understand/go near the Bible

I also noticed that anytime a church is being discussed someone would talk about tithes?? Na so e dey pain you?

I wonder when you would realise that saying /spewing ur uninformed/misinformed statement about tithing does not change a thing... Haven't you noticed??

I will continually strive to pay my tithes whether you like it or not - it's my money!!!

I pay my tithes not because I need your approval or disapproval but because I understand the Bible better than you do!!!
Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by NOLONGTIN1(m): 3:35pm On Sep 07, 2013

I understand you point of view, but I don't think we not should emulate the Muslim.

One of the many reason I like about being a Christian is our ability to question ourselves, now although it's the school and not the church workers that 'allegedly' fought the taxmen, Christians would have called the church to order if they(the church) had beaten them.

So, it's a good thing we question ourselves when we go wrong but we must do that peacefull without insults, it helps us grow - not by killing or threatening people who write, print or say negative stuffs about us, our God or the church.

Now because we have heard different stuff from people, we don't react violently when things are said about us compare to our Muslim brothers.

We should continue to criticize ourselves constructively, it will make us stronger /grow in this our race
Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by NOLONGTIN1(m): 3:49pm On Sep 07, 2013
Xriss:

After sending several mails without reply, the tax officials have every right to physically go there to inform the school authorities incase the letters sent didn't arrive,..... In developed countries, people are sometimes paid to serve court notices personally and get a pix of the notice being served.

Keep you opinion to yourself because it is one of many possibilities.....when looking for fact opinions become like the azzhole, everybody has got one and we don't want to know how yours looks like.....

The people who went are government officials like the police and not touts.....they are men doing their jobs and God loves them like he loves your pastor....... if you feel okay calling people touts then what do we call your pastor who prides in slapping children and your church workers who beat up people......even if they were touts no one should be attacked by so called Christians in a so called church......

BY THEIR FRUITS WE SHALL KNOW THEM

Are you Trying to confuse me??

1. Did the touts sorry taxmen go to the school or church?? I. E. Did the alleged attack occur in the church or school?? Are you putting the church to garner sympathy/support??

2. They claimed their equipment were destroyed, abeg which Kian equipment taxmen they carry? Biro and pencil?

3. Do you honestly think they went to serve notice to the school with their 'equipment '?? I'm sure they went to cause trouble, because no one beats somebody for delivering notice/letters.

Anyway, as I said before if they went to inform them of their tax default either verbally or written, they would never have been attacked except they go do another thing like bribe or arresting people!
Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by freddycuga: 4:04pm On Sep 07, 2013
We should not be ignorant of issues that affect national development.

(1) All over the world, schools and churches are seen as public trust. this is why they don't pay tax. the government can only take tax from the salary of workers but not the school. However, the Ogun State govenment wants to collect tax from schools, which is wrong

(2) No matter the situation, we must never speak ill of any prophet of God. Let God punish his annointed. Many people have died because what they said or wrote down; please, do not be a victim
Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by Xriss: 4:12pm On Sep 07, 2013
NO LONG TIN:

Are you Trying to confuse me??

1. Did the touts sorry taxmen go to the school or church?? I. E. Did the alleged attack occur in the church or school?? Are you putting the church to garner sympathy/support??

2. They claimed their equipment were destroyed, abeg which Kian equipment taxmen they carry? Biro and pencil?

3. Do you honestly think they went to serve notice to the school with their 'equipment '?? I'm sure they went to cause trouble, because no one beats somebody for delivering notice/letters.

Anyway, as I said before if they went to inform them of their tax default either verbally or written, they would never have been attacked except they go do another thing like bribe or arresting people!

Jesus died for the people you are calling touts, and if you are a Christian then you will know that they also deserve to be loved and respected no matter what they do (love your enemies)but your pastor doesn't teach you this ........ you sound as bitter and violent as he and his workers do.....

1 Like

Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by AkamuandStew: 4:52pm On Sep 07, 2013
freddycuga: We should not be ignorant of issues that affect national development.
Let's see who's ignorant..... grin grin

(1) All over the world, schools and churches are seen as public trust. this is why they don't pay tax. the government can only take tax from the salary of workers but not the school. However, the Ogun State govenment wants to collect tax from schools, which is wrong
Are you sane?? A school that charges almost 200k as fees is nothing but a BUSINESS VENTURE and should be appropriately taxed. After collecting outrageous fees you want the school to be exempted from taxes, You're a THIEF!!

Besides where is "all over the world"??

How many countries have you been to you this senseless sheepie!!

(2) No matter the situation, we must never speak ill of any prophet of God. Let God punish his anointed.
Another senseless thought from your rotten brain. Man of God my black A55..

Many people have died because what they said or wrote down; please, do not be a victim
people die every other day including Men of God... so zip it!!

You churchies are so dumb I swear.....

cool
Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by Cityguy: 5:34pm On Sep 07, 2013
SUBMARINE: Yes we must pay our taxes just as Jesus instructed us. But may I ask the ogun state govt, the air they breath do they pay for it.? Lets be wise enough to avoid unknowing showing ungratefulness to God.
This is serious BS! Dumbest ever to me.
Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by Cityguy: 5:40pm On Sep 07, 2013
Kingscee: NO!!!!!!!!!! Nobody fight for our God almighty, but our heavenly father fight for himself. Not like our M.U.S.L.I.M people who fight 4 dem god.
Pls don't derail this topic.
Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by Cityguy: 5:45pm On Sep 07, 2013
tallceejay:

I beg to say this...with all due respect. Your account is so one sided..."in the course of discussion,our men were beaten blue black and our equipment were destroyed" will anyone just started being anoda blue black in the course of a discussion??

I've witnessed a visitation by tax officials, I'd say they r arguable d worst set of people to deal with! People think VIO is wicked ?? Wait and meet with diz tax guys!

No doubt, taxes must be paid. Even the bible advices that. I'd say, someone was provoked and it ensused in physical assault, both parties were wrong.

If the school had paid up in the first instance, there would not have been basis for alleged 'provocation'
Re: Winners Chapel Workers Fight Ogun State Tax Men by tallceejay(m): 5:51pm On Sep 07, 2013
Akamu and Stew:

You churchies are so dumb I swear.....

cool

So much for akamu and stew undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

VIDEO: Nigerian’s React To The Fuel Price Hike / Governor Ortom Mourns Priests And Parishioners Killed In Benue Attack (Graphic P / Any Man Of God Against Buhari Is Fake – Interfaith Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.