Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,505 members, 7,812,556 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:20 PM

Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide (62805 Views)

The Top 20 Biggest And Most Popular Songs In Nigeria 2015 / 2015 Top 20 Richest Nigerian Musicians, See Their Net Worth / Where Are These Nigerian Musicians? (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by eluquenson(m): 7:16pm On Sep 13, 2013
Fela Kuti was a Nigerian multi-instrumentalist musician and composer, pioneer of Afrobeat music, human rights activist, and political maverick.
Fela was born Olufela Olusegun Oludotun Ransome-Kuti on 15 October 1938 in Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria into a middle-class family. His mother, Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti, was a feminist activist in the anti-colonial movement; his father, Reverend Israel Oludotun Ransome-Kuti, a Protestant minister and school principal, was the first president of the Nigeria Union of Teachers. His brothers, Beko Ransome-Kuti and Olikoye Ransome-Kuti, both medical doctors, are well known in Nigeria. Fela was a first cousin to the Nigerian writer and Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka, the first African to win a Nobel Prize for Literature.Fela was sent to London in 1958 to study medicine but decided to study music instead at the Trinity College of Music. While there, he formed the band Koola Lobitos, playing a fusion of jazz and highlife. In 1960, Fela married his first wife, Remilekun (Remi) Taylor, with whom he would have three children (Femi, Yeni, and Sola). In 1963, Fela moved back to Nigeria, re-formed Koola Lobitos and trained as a radio producer for the Nigerian Broadcasting Corporation. He played for some time with Victor Olaiya and his All Stars.

In 1967, he went to Ghana to think up a new musical direction. So lets also remember him not only the living but his legend is still living in the world.

2 Likes

Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by dexentity: 7:16pm On Sep 13, 2013
wat abt d lighthouse family guy?
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by RedCard1(m): 7:26pm On Sep 13, 2013
Nobody knows 2face, D'banj and even P Square. Forget the hype they all get over here. Wale and many others you listed are not claiming to be Nigerians so they don't qualify to be on that list. As for Asa and Nneka, I agree @least for the quality songs they are both known for.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by GCRS87: 7:27pm On Sep 13, 2013
WHERE IS NEYO CHIMEZE ON DA LIST? OR IS NEYO NT POPULAR?
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by mooregan(m): 7:33pm On Sep 13, 2013
shymexx: How did you number it? Is it in terms of popularity or who you feel is popular?

Sade is definitely the most popular and Wale should be next.

Tinie Tempah is only popular in the UK and Europe.

I don't know what Cham is doing on the list, he's irrelevant outside Houston.

And nobody knows Tuface! undecided
Are u 4 real?? Nobody knows 2face? Its not a must to comment bro. I think a visit to youtube will educate u bout 2faces' popularity.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Wallie(m): 7:34pm On Sep 13, 2013
Who is Tinie Tempah? Who is Taio Cruz? I have honestly never heard of either of them.

There's no way Tinie Tempah and Taio Cruz are more popular than Sade, Seal, Wale, or Chamillionaire! Here's an anecdote on popularity: P Square is very popular among francophone Africans for some reason! They are very popular among Canadian Africans.

Also, most people do not know TuFace by name but when you say "You’re My African Queen," most blacks will know which song you're talking about.

Lastly, where's Fela and Femi Kuti? I've heard Fela's instrumental being used over here in the States. I’ve even heard it a few times on National Public Radio (NPR) being used as a sound track to a News story outro. Also, check the link below to see artists that have sampled Fela's songs:

http://www.whosampled.com/Fela-Kuti/sampled/?sp=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLF39513uwM
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Nobody: 7:36pm On Sep 13, 2013
spade:

Tuface you mean?

yes jare
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by himclfgud(m): 7:38pm On Sep 13, 2013
King sunny ade grin
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by GCRS87: 7:41pm On Sep 13, 2013
Is NAS is not a Nigerian?
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by dayokanu(m): 7:41pm On Sep 13, 2013
Davido nko?
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by cumpaddre(m): 7:43pm On Sep 13, 2013
OP u dey eff-up ooo. U 4got 2 add Ne-yo of all people who shud even be at d top of this list!
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by bakynes(m): 7:45pm On Sep 13, 2013
Let me re-arrange the Ranking according to Popularity.Popularity nt in terms of nw only but all time and Global recognition as well as Worldwide Hits.

1.Seal
2.Sade Adu
3.Wale
4.Taio Cruz
5.Tinnie Tempah
6.Chamillionaire
7.D'banj
8.2face
9.Psquare
10.Nneka
11.Asa

Though I feel likes of Fela Kuti,Femi kuti,Tunde Bayiewu and Lemar Obika should have been included and Note that I didn't select based on Ethnic sentiments.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by cumpaddre(m): 7:52pm On Sep 13, 2013
Wallie: Who is Tinie Tempah? Who is Taio Cruz? I have honestly never heard of either of them.

There's no way Tinie Tempah and Taio Cruz are more popular than Sade, Seal, Wale, or Chamillionaire! Here's an anecdote on popularity: P Square is very popular among francophone Africans for some reason! They are very popular among Canadian Africans.

Also, most people do not know TuFace by name but when you say "You’re My African Queen," most blacks will know which song you're talking about.

Lastly, where's Fela and Femi Kuti? I've heard Fela's instrumental being used over here in the States. I’ve even heard it a few times on National Public Radio (NPR) being used as a sound track to a News story outro. Also, check the link below to see artists that have sampled Fela's songs:

http://www.whosampled.com/Fela-Kuti/sampled/?sp=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLF39513uwM

My Nigg*a, are u living in Mali?
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by solomon111(m): 7:55pm On Sep 13, 2013
Tribalism everywhere.
Na wa o.

1 Like

Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by BlackBaron: 7:56pm On Sep 13, 2013
bakynes: Sway is also Nigerian though only Popular in London.

Sway is Ghanaian mate.

Top 4 in no order would be

Shirley Bassey
Sade Adu
Fela
Seal

These names would certainly ring a bell with most
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by UyiIredia(m): 7:56pm On Sep 13, 2013
The list is on-point but pardon my sentiment: dead as he is that list isn't complete without a honorary mention of Fela, the Afrobeat king and father of all Afro genres (infusion of pidgin and indigenous African languages with English in music).
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by hopeyemih(m): 8:05pm On Sep 13, 2013
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by bakynes(m): 8:11pm On Sep 13, 2013
BlackBaron:

Sway is Ghanaian mate.

Top 4 in no order would be

Shirley Bassey
Sade Adu
Fela
Seal

These names would certainly ring a bell with most

Just Checked Sorry abt that thought he was Nigerian. I shd have known better considering the fact I lived in London for many yrs.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Nobody: 8:14pm On Sep 13, 2013
Red_Card: Nobody knows 2face, D'banj and even P Square. Forget the hype they all get over here. Wale and many others you listed are not claiming to be Nigerians so they don't qualify to be on that list. As for Asa and Nneka, I agree @least for the quality songs they are both known for.

Wale reps naija well! He isn't lost on who he is.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by lepasharon(f): 8:15pm On Sep 13, 2013
I just clocked that scorcher is nigerian
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by donpope1(m): 8:23pm On Sep 13, 2013
Shu.tup dude!! you know nothing
odua boy: Mr man stop posting false information neyo is not nigerian

Ne-Yo was born in Camden, Arkansas. His mother is of African Americanand Chinese descent, and his father is African American.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ne-Yo?seg=1
And dont think because he bears"chimere"that automatically makes him nigeria

The meaning of the name Chimere is Dream
The origin of the name Chimere isFrenchhttp://www.babynames.com/user/ login.php

1 Like

Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Katsumoto: 8:30pm On Sep 13, 2013
stillwater:

About time you dropped Seal, taio Cruz (these ones don't even recognize their roots, even Sade that is mixed recognizes hers than these guys lol).

Seal & Taio Cruz both lived in Naija. Sade Adu was born in Nigeria as well.

Do they have to wrap themselves in the Nigerian flag before they rep their roots?
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Katsumoto: 8:32pm On Sep 13, 2013
@ OP

Perhaps you are referring to living artistes because none of them got nothing on Baba 70.

Nneka Egbuna can't be higher than DBanj.

1 Like

Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by oduaboy1: 8:35pm On Sep 13, 2013
don.pope:
Shu.tup dude!! you know nothing
Fools resort to insult when they have nothing reasonable to say:/:/:/

1 Like

Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Nobody: 8:40pm On Sep 13, 2013
Nas and Ne-Yo are not Nigerians people!!!

Psquare and D-banj are rated lowly on this list.

Tinie Tempah is not bigger than Wale in any way ....

Sade and Seal should be higher on this list....
Sade is best-selling Brit act of all time...
Seal might be a one-hit wonder but that hit is timeless and has done a lot for his career ...

Cheers...
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by topazjosh(m): 8:43pm On Sep 13, 2013
Wale actually rep nigeria than,check most of his tweets,I know some of his cousins in ondo.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by topazjosh(m): 8:46pm On Sep 13, 2013
Red_Card: Nobody knows 2face, D'banj and even P Square. Forget the hype they all get over here. Wale and many others you listed are not claiming to be Nigerians so they don't qualify to be on that list. As for Asa and Nneka, I agree @least for the quality songs they are both known for.
Wale actually rep nigeria than,check most of his tweets,I know some of his cousins in ondo.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by tomakint: 8:58pm On Sep 13, 2013
ajasa4link: is this list just for hiphop and r & b artists?..I think sunny ade was also well known globally during his world tours where he always had sold out shows ...I still have some of the clips where white men jiggle to the rhythm of his juju music...
You just beat me to it, at least going by the title of this thread the likes of King Sunny Ade, Majek Fashek,Fela, Femi Kuti should be mentioned on that list they were worshipped by the 'Whites' during their shows!
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Koninda(m): 9:14pm On Sep 13, 2013
airmark:

Jordan musa? Mumu Aboki feelin funky. grin
Musa *moses* Aboki *friend* stop bn 2 personal airmark
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Nobody: 9:16pm On Sep 13, 2013
mooregan:
Are u 4 real?? Nobody knows 2face? Its not a must to comment bro. I think a visit to youtube will educate u bout 2faces' popularity.

Nobody knows Tuface. African Queen - yes. The artist - NO!!

Wizkid is more popular than that man!

2 Likes

Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Nobody: 9:17pm On Sep 13, 2013
Wallie: Who is Tinie Tempah? Who is Taio Cruz? I have honestly never heard of either of them.

I think the list is for those who are alive.

Fela is definitely on a different level.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Nobody: 9:21pm On Sep 13, 2013
lepasharon: I just clocked that scorcher is nigerian

Scorcher is not Nigerian, he just has a Yoruba first name like a lot of Jamaican especially the rasta.

His name is Tayo.

But Dizzie Rascal is half-Nigerian. His Dad was Nigerian and his mum is Ghanaian.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

8 Nigerian Musicians That Needed To Stop Making Music In 2016 / What Are You Listening To Right Now? / Blackface Releases His Version Of 'African Queen' As 2face Fails To Credit Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.