Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,404 members, 7,812,190 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:49 AM

Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide - Music/Radio (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide (62802 Views)

The Top 20 Biggest And Most Popular Songs In Nigeria 2015 / 2015 Top 20 Richest Nigerian Musicians, See Their Net Worth / Where Are These Nigerian Musicians? (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by swezenberg(m): 9:25pm On Sep 13, 2013
Wooooow! So Sade Adu is Nigeria's first grammy winner. She deserves it anyway. Very sonorous and pretty. Could you provide me with other Nigerians that have achieved the same. I used to think there was no grammy winner from Nigeria
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Nobody: 9:45pm On Sep 13, 2013
Katsumoto:

Seal & Taio Cruz both lived in Naija. Sade Adu was born in Nigeria as well.

Do they have to wrap themselves in the Nigerian flag before they rep their roots?

Dayumm!! I always knew Taio Cruz lived outside the UK for a bit. His accent is a give-away, however, I thought it probably had to do with being raised outside London. grin Still don't why he doesn't rep that green-white-white. Heck, even Lemar reps naija all the time but it's just a pity that he didn't get the crossover in America like he should have. Tinie Tempah also flopped as well but he's still making money off singles despite his dumb lyrics.

Anyway, most people don't even know how big Sade Adu is and how her fan base are the most loyal on the planet. This is a woman that goes platinum every time she releases an album. And she does that like once in every decade with no publicity and in an inconspicuous way. That's legendary!

As for Fela Kuti, nothing out of Africa can touch his music and star-power - that's the most sampled African artist ever. Then Shirley Bassey is ever-green.

Seal is more like a one-hit wonder to me. grin But he's defo very popular.

2 Likes

Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Mybettingtips(m): 9:46pm On Sep 13, 2013
shymexx:

Nobody knows Tuface. African Queen - yes. The artist - NO!!

Wizkid is more popular than that man!
African queen by 2face gets 2million views on youtube... oliver twist by d'banj gets 22million views on same youtube
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Nobody: 9:49pm On Sep 13, 2013
Mybettingtips:
African queen by 2face gets 2million views on youtube... oliver twist by d'banj gets 22million views on same youtube

African Queen was/is a big tune and it's ever-green but the man who made it is defo not popular. Nobody knows that man apart from Nigerians. Heck, we can say Nigerians in Nigeria. I only got to know he made the "African Queen" tune like three or four years ago.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by funkybaby(f): 9:53pm On Sep 13, 2013
shymexx:
Heck, even Lemar reps naija all the time but it's just a pity that he didn't get the crossover in America like he should have. Tinie Tempah also flopped as well but he's still making money off singles despite his dumb lyrics.

Anyway, most people don't even know how big Sade Adu is and how her fan base are the most loyal on the planet. This is a woman that goes platinum every time she releases an album. And she does that like once in every decade with no publicity and in an inconspicuous way. That's legendary!

As for Fela Kuti, nothing out of Africa can touch his music and star-power - that's the most sampled African artist ever. Then Shirley Bassey is ever-green.

Seal is more like a one-hit wonder to me. grin But he's defo very popular.

You are spot on with your analysis. smiley
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by souljay007(m): 9:56pm On Sep 13, 2013
Where is KING SUNNY ADE.. Have u guyz forgotten his song was featured by over four hollywood movies which include: O.C sting and Breathless..
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by peleson: 10:06pm On Sep 13, 2013
I never knew tinie was nigerian. Tot he was ghanian. Nice one
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by johnkayvii: 10:11pm On Sep 13, 2013
Dey forgot 2 mention d most popular due

Ma grandpa
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by hopeyemih(m): 10:16pm On Sep 13, 2013
Mybettingtips:

when african queen was released..did u knw what youtube meant*no offence bro

1 Like

Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Nobody: 10:16pm On Sep 13, 2013
@ops, tinie tempah wasnt the owner of i'm coming home which was used in wrestlemania 27.. He was featured by diddy dirty.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by alotofgrace(m): 10:33pm On Sep 13, 2013
where is tunde of light house family?
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by guyANDROID1: 11:03pm On Sep 13, 2013
Wat about my guy Kanye Chuckwu Tunde West....LOL....*wink*

As everybody dey mention name. I don't wanna be outer it so make I contribute

I'm a learner here ooo at shymmex
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:05pm On Sep 13, 2013
Fela is Nigeria's greatest music product for me. And Im surprised by how many foreigners I've spoken too (elderly people usually) who know him. In fact, I got into Fela's music because of some white dude and I've been a big fan ever since. Love his arrangements, particularly the various discernible layers he gradually builds into his slow starting songs as more instruments get added to the beat. "Lady" is a perfect example of this genius. The satire of the government and African society in the songs only add to the legend of the great man.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by sarutobie(m): 11:28pm On Sep 13, 2013
OP missed the lead singer in the group 'lighthouse family'..
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by rman: 11:58pm On Sep 13, 2013
King Sunny Ade should be on the list!
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Lordave: 12:37am On Sep 14, 2013
Who said Ne-Yo is not a Nigerian?
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by BlackPikiN(m): 12:49am On Sep 14, 2013
Mybettingtips:

African queen had almost 10million views on youtube before it was taken down.

p square had 12 million views for "no one like you", 8 million views for "e no easy", 5 million views for ifunanya, 4 million for roll it and some of their songs before iroking became the sole owner on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuai3RtX71M

African queen in samoa the pacific, 2010.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHKcOhHsSZQ

The pacific 2007
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by BlackPikiN(m): 12:49am On Sep 14, 2013
Katsumoto: @ OP

Perhaps you are referring to living artistes because none of them got nothing on Baba 70.

Nneka Egbuna can't be higher than DBanj.

Lol...
Nneka is higher and way more popular.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by oluamid(m): 12:56am On Sep 14, 2013
Y'all got your list and I got mine.

1.Psquare
2.Dbanj
3.Olamide
4.Modenine
5.Vector
6.Terry D Rapman
7. Banky W
8.Wizkid
9. Asa
10. Oluamid
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Stunner1(f): 12:57am On Sep 14, 2013
@katsumoto nneka is way way way higher n bigger dan dbanj ooo u tynk itz by singing street songs or club songs... dt gal is gon b a legend jst lyk 2face n asa... dbanj's career will end soon cos in d future most of his songs wont b heard by d unborn ones
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Nobody: 1:37am On Sep 14, 2013
Red_Card: Nobody knows 2face, D'banj and even P Square. Forget the hype they all get over here. Wale and many others you listed are not claiming to be Nigerians so they don't qualify to be on that list. As for Asa and Nneka, I agree @least for the quality songs they are both known for.
U DEY MIND THEM?
LIKE MOST NARROW MINDED PPLE
NIGGERIANS BELIEVE THE SUN RISES
AND SETS ON THEM. EVERY SUCCESSFUL
BLACK PERSON IS AUTOMATICALLY NIGERIAN
I REMEBER WHEN SOME DELUDED FOLKS
WENT TO CLAIM SOME RELATIONSHIP
WITH BARACK OBAMA
SMH
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by seankay(m): 1:53am On Sep 14, 2013
Nas shoulh be number1 on the list!
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by suavemezie: 2:53am On Sep 14, 2013
airmark: It seems south west Nigeria has more musical talents than others. Northern part not repping on your list. At least put MI or Iceprince. smiley

At least No1 and 2 originated from South East. Quality not quantity

2 Likes

Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by kabaka1: 3:23am On Sep 14, 2013
JMOI: What do you make of the list?
I think ur list doesn't make much sense in terms of some artistes on ur list. For eg, even though artistes from Sade down 2 Tinie Temper gave Nigerian ancestry u can't really classify them as Nigerian artistes because their musical influence genre and influence comes from d Western society n also their of music is made mainly 4 d western market even though we Nigerians/Africans like to forcefeed ourselves with their type of music unlike dem d westerners. Also some of d artistes in ur list like Seal n Taio Cruz don't really like to relate publicly with their naija ancestry, so I wonder why u included them in this list
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by bokohalal1: 3:26am On Sep 14, 2013
Obi1kenobi: Fela is Nigeria's greatest music product for me. And Im surprised by how many foreigners I've spoken too (elderly people usually) who know him. In fact, I got into Fela's music because of some white dude and I've been a big fan ever since. Love his arrangements, particularly the various discernible layers he gradually builds into his slow starting songs as more instruments get added to the beat. "Lady" is a perfect example of this genius. The satire of the government and African society in the songs only add to the legend of the great man.

It's amazing how popular Fela Kuti is outside Nigeria. In fact, I had a chat with a Caucasian male who may be in his 50s (give or take) last year who said he has a good number of Fela's albums even though he's never been to Africa or personally knows any African. He even sang some of the tracks.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Nobody: 3:54am On Sep 14, 2013
BlackPikiN:

Lol...
Nneka is higher and way more popular.
This is debatable. Dbanj became more popular after oliver twist was released. I remembered the first time I heard about nneka was on an airfrance continental flight. That girls is good.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by tubolancer(m): 4:59am On Sep 14, 2013
Seal was living in Nigeria before he had a quarrel with his mother.,
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Nobody: 6:29am On Sep 14, 2013
Tyler,The Creator.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by philfearon(m): 7:38am On Sep 14, 2013
airmark: It seems south west Nigeria has more musical talents than others. Northern part not repping on your list. At least put MI or Iceprince. smiley
I just confirmed That You are a Tribalist! Change ur ways!
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Caseless: 8:27am On Sep 14, 2013
2face and chamillionaire are notherners.
Psquare are more of notherners; born and brought up in d north.
I even heard d'banj spent some of life in zaria(born there).
So what ar u saying?
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by cprince1000(m): 8:41am On Sep 14, 2013
Guys dis list is faulse check forbes magazine for the list... Dis list is not real at all... Fankz.. Kindly visit www.finestouch..com for the real list from forbes magazine and channel o..thankz

Ff@finestouch
Ff@c_prince1000
For more update or like finestouch media and design productions on facebook
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Okeikpu(m): 8:43am On Sep 14, 2013
Ich liebe dich: I stil believe they shudnt be on the list they dnt recognize their 'nigerian descent', then why shud we
just wait, when they get 2the age of 60 to 70s.... then they ll remember their fathers land...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

8 Nigerian Musicians That Needed To Stop Making Music In 2016 / What Are You Listening To Right Now? / Blackface Releases His Version Of 'African Queen' As 2face Fails To Credit Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.