Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,407 members, 7,812,203 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:59 AM

Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide - Music/Radio (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide (62803 Views)

The Top 20 Biggest And Most Popular Songs In Nigeria 2015 / 2015 Top 20 Richest Nigerian Musicians, See Their Net Worth / Where Are These Nigerian Musicians? (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Rilwayne001: 9:00am On Sep 14, 2013
Yu dey crsze 4 nt addin BADOLEEEE
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Youpele52: 9:12am On Sep 14, 2013
You forget Tyler, the creator. And i think Wale is more popular than Tinie

2 Likes

Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by airmark(m): 9:46am On Sep 14, 2013
caseless: 2face and chamillionaire are notherners.
Psquare are more of notherners; born and brought up in d north.
I even heard d'banj spent some of life in zaria(born there).
So what ar u saying?

Chams' is seriki from yorubaland, I even know his sister, 2face is a middle belter, and that you were born in the north while your parents are from other tribe does nt make you a northerner. Stop claiming wats not yours bro. Like your moniker, this is caseless.
cheesy
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by mufex(m): 9:56am On Sep 14, 2013
Look, you are talking nonsense.......No, Sunny Ade?! I bought a book on the influential and popular musicians of all time and he was in the book...with John lennon, Mick Jagger, Jayz, Beach boys, and many more. Get your facts right next time.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Caseless: 11:26am On Sep 14, 2013
airmark:

Chams' is seriki from yorubaland, I even know his sister, 2face is a middle belter, and that you were born in the north while your parents are from other tribe does nt make you a northerner. Stop claiming wats not yours bro. Like your moniker, this is caseless.
cheesy
it seems u are bereft of that native understanding 2 talk about their origin. I'm sure middle belt(benue) is part of south , and not north...smh! Hakeem sarki(not seriki d last time i checked) is frm kwara. Maybe kwara is part of sw too. What's ur grade in geography(ssce)?lolling...
If u think place of birth or residence doesnt play so much in terms of identity, then read again.
How many lagos state govs b lagosians originally sef? And they'r now lagosians today by birth..huhn..
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Nobody: 11:57am On Sep 14, 2013
1derfulGod: What about Light House Family?!

Yes..Tunde Baiyewu(vocalist)....I can't believe i've always considered Light house as one of my favorite bands of all time, and have always listened and still listen to their songs; but just realizing that the vocalist (front man), is a Nigerian .
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Nobody: 12:02pm On Sep 14, 2013
Youpele52: You forget Tyler, the creator. And i think Wale is more popular than Tinie

Tinnie although is popular in the States(he's song written in the stars,was used as a theme song for Wrestlemania last year), but Wale is yes I'd say more popular.... He's very well respected and well known ).
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Nobody: 12:10pm On Sep 14, 2013
shymexx:

Dayumm!! I always knew Taio Cruz lived outside the UK for a bit. His accent is a give-away, however, I thought it probably had to do with being raised outside London. grin Still don't why he doesn't rep that green-white-white. Heck, even Lemar reps naija all the time but it's just a pity that he didn't get the crossover in America like he should have. Tinie Tempah also flopped as well but he's still making money off singles despite his dumb lyrics.

Anyway, most people don't even know how big Sade Adu is and how her fan base are the most loyal on the planet. This is a woman that goes platinum every time she releases an album. And she does that like once in every decade with no publicity and in an inconspicuous way. That's legendary!

As for Fela Kuti, nothing out of Africa can touch his music and star-power - that's the most sampled African artist ever. Then Shirley Bassey is ever-green.

Seal is more like a one-hit wonder to me. grin But he's defo very popular.

Tinnie Tempah flopped ?....you must be joking.....Tinnieh Tempah's cross over to America was a great success...He had two songs that made it big in the Us, especially "written in the Stars'', which is he's biggest hit till date....You don't call someone's music career a flop, when he's had he's song as an official song for Wrestlmania).
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by matoyeh(m): 1:06pm On Sep 14, 2013
soloxxng: Dont know most of them....
gbam! Tell them abeg
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by victorkc(m): 8:13pm On Sep 14, 2013
You cant include SEAL without including Dr Alban-Carolina crooner. Afterall SEAL refused to come home to bury his mother and you are still including him as a Nigerian, if he commits murder now the he becomes a Westerner that adopted Nigerian name. angry sad
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Katsumoto: 9:05pm On Sep 14, 2013
victorkc: You cant include SEAL without including Dr Alban-Carolina crooner. Afterall SEAL refused to come home to bury his mother and you are still including him as a Nigerian, if he commits murder now the he becomes a Westerner that adopted Nigerian name. angry sad

Check out logic

He is not a Nigerian because he refused to return to Nigeria to bury his mother? So all those Nigerians who kill their sons/daughters/mothers/fathers/brothers are also no longer Nigerians?
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by KDULAR: 10:15pm On Sep 14, 2013
caseless: 2face and chamillionaire are notherners.
Psquare are more of notherners; born and brought up in d north.
I even heard d'banj spent some of life in zaria(born there).
So what ar u saying?
Chamillionare is from Ibadan ( father is a native of Ibadan ). He even spoke Yoruba in one of song Creeping on the low low where he said ' Say in Spanish In Japaneseis like Sainaro African is gonna say O dabo I'll be here when you gone tomorrow". Idibia is an Idoma middle belter and Psquare are squarely Igbotenics. Don't need this.Really I thought Sade should have been up in 1. Like someone said earlier since the middle 80's she's been consistent with 2 albums per decade and each time its platinum all the way. Besides she has a regular fan base I think that cut across demographs. A good listthough. Kudos
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Caseless: 10:52pm On Sep 14, 2013
KDULAR:
Chamillionare is from Ibadan ( father is a native of Ibadan ). He even spoke Yoruba in one of song Creeping on the low low where he said ' Say in Spanish In Japaneseis like Sainaro African is gonna say O dabo I'll be here when you gone tomorrow". Idibia is an Idoma middle belter and Psquare are squarely Igbotenics. Don't need this.Really I thought Sade should have been up in 1. Like someone said earlier since the middle 80's she's been consistent with 2 albums per decade and each time its platinum all the way. Besides she has a regular fan base I think that cut across demographs. A good listthough. Kudos
oga mi, check my reply to airmark and u'd see see that he's cleared on the issue already.

chamillionare is from kwara(north)
2face from benue, born in jos, idoma by tribe(north)
psquare born and brought up in jos, of course they feel more attached to jos than anywhere in nigeria.

i wish shade, fela, were there, since we have the likes of seal, nneka on the list.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by airmark(m): 11:21pm On Sep 14, 2013
caseless: it seems u are bereft of that native understanding 2 talk about their origin. I'm sure middle belt(benue) is part of south , and not north...smh! Hakeem sarki(not seriki d last time i checked) is frm kwara. Maybe kwara is part of sw too. What's ur grade in geography(ssce)?lolling...
If u think place of birth or residence doesnt play so much in terms of identity, then read again.
How many lagos state govs b lagosians originally sef? And they'r now lagosians today by birth..huhn..

Ask Dbanj and Psquare their states of origin, they will tell you Ogun state and Anambra. This is Nigeria not United States, thats the system. Stop fooling yourself.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Caseless: 11:35pm On Sep 14, 2013
airmark:

Ask Dbanj and Psquare their states of origin, they will tell you Ogun state and Anambra. This is Nigeria not United States, thats the system. Stop fooling yourself.
i'm not fooling myself, u seems to be doing that. all u trynna do is to disconnect the men fro their place of birth forgetting that this will remain an integral part of them and their history.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Katsumoto: 12:22am On Sep 15, 2013
caseless: i'm not fooling myself, u seems to be doing that. all u trynna do is to disconnect the men fro their place of birth forgetting that this will remain an integral part of them and their history.

You aren't making sense. Place of Birth has no influence on origin. You are from where ever your father is from. Or where your mother is from if both your parents are from a matriarchal society.

And Chamilliionaire is from Ibadan. Don't let pride stop you from using simple logic.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Caseless: 12:39am On Sep 15, 2013
Katsumoto:

You aren't making sense. Place of Birth has no influence on origin. You are from where ever your father is from. Or where your mother is from if both your parents are from a matriarchal society.

And Chamilliionaire is from Ibadan. Don't let pride stop you from using simple logic.
u are discobombulated dude! u should take ur time and check how we kick-started this whole issue. u cant deny how the environment influence them. i'm bamboozled that u feel i'm not making sense to u. smh!
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Katsumoto: 12:49am On Sep 15, 2013
caseless: u are discobombulated dude! u should take ur time and check how we kick-started this whole issue. u cant deny how the environment influence them. i'm bamboozled that u feel i'm not making sense to u. smh!

How does how you started the debate have any bearing on origins of peoples? Maybe I am thick; can you explain it to me? Joanna Lumley (a famous British actress) was born in Kaduna, does she claim to be Nigerian from Kaduna? How many of the children of British colonialists who were born in Nigeria, Ghana, India, Kenya, Uganda, etc claim those places? Until very recently, being born in Germany doesn't make you German or get you a German Passport. Being born in the UK these days doesn't guarantee anyone British citizenship.

And final warning, don't use childish insults on me again.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Nmeri17: 1:34am On Sep 15, 2013
So why is taio cruz using latin american names
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Katsumoto: 1:50am On Sep 15, 2013
Nmeri17: So why is taio cruz using latin american names

For the same reason Marion Morrison preferred to go by John Wayne. Same for Nicolas Coppola who prefers Nicolas Cage, Carlos Estevez who goes by Charlie Sheen.

For the same reason many minorities in the West use English names.

Pseudonyms are used for many reasons. It is down to the individual.

1 Like

Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by kabaka1: 2:11am On Sep 15, 2013
Nmeri17: So why is taio cruz using latin american names

His mum is brazilian
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by birdman(m): 3:58am On Sep 15, 2013
Katsumoto:

Lmao. No, he is not. And he doesn't give a damn about Ibadan either. And if you ever met him, you would realize how ridiculous it is to classify him as one. If we follow your logic, Obama is kenyan. We all know he may have is roots there, but he is anything but Kenyan.

I'll be frank - being labeled a Nigerian is a distraction to some musician's careers. Lets celebrate the artistes who have enough balls and savvy to put their nationality out there. eg. Nneka and stop trying to conscript guys who dont give a f' about it.

Any list of real Nigerian musicians must include:

Fela
Nneka
DBanj
Tuface
PSquare
heck, even Dr. Alban
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by Katsumoto: 8:36am On Sep 15, 2013
birdman:

Lmao. No, he is not. And he doesn't give a damn about Ibadan either. And if you ever met him, you would realize how ridiculous it is to classify him as one. If we follow your logic, Obama is kenyan. We all know he may have is roots there, but he is anything but Kenyan.

Your angle is based on a social construct - Nationality. In anthropology, human classifications is generally based on biological definitions of race such as Lineage, Essentialist, Taxonomic. i.e genes, skin colour, blood lines, genotypes, and stretched to include language, localization of populations to certain regions.

Using social construct, Obama is an American but who really is an American? Are you referring to the voluntary (15th century to present Europeans, and 20th century immigrants from other places) and involuntary (Slaves) immigrants? Or are you referring to the native indigenous people of America? Other than language, what does Obama share culturally, biologically with Americans native to Hawaii, or Caucasians resident in the deep south or Latino Americans? Obama has more in common with the ethnic group of his father in Kenya because that is the most pure bloodline in him. The same goes for Hakeem Seriki (Chamillionaire).

Going by any of the controversial means of classifying humans used by anthropologists, Hakeem Seriki is of the Yoruba Ethnic Group. His nationality may be American but he shares nothing in common with the indigenous ethnic groups of America. Similarly, during the age of colonization, many British sons and daughters were born and raised in Africa and India. Many of these British citizens spent a greater part of their lives in Africa and India, spoke African & Indian ethnic languages but never identified themselves as Africans or Indians.

My point is not to use anthropology to classify them so that they can be claimed as Nigerians; I could care less whether an individual sees himself as a Nigerian, American, or Brit. I use anthropology to classify because that is the only way to classify humans. If your parents are Indians and you spend all your life in Britain, you are still an Indian although you may be a British citizen and feel culturally British. If you raise African elephants in a Chinese zoo, do they become Chinese Elephants?
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by swezenberg(m): 8:54am On Sep 15, 2013
caseless: oga mi, check my reply to airmark and u'd see see that he's cleared on the issue already.

chamillionare is from kwara(north)
2face from benue, born in jos, idoma by tribe(north)
psquare born and brought up in jos, of course they feel more attached to jos than anywhere in nigeria.

i wish shade, fela, were there, since we have the likes of seal, nneka on the list.

My brother. Benue and Plateau na middle belt o. In fact those fellas never regard themselves as northerners.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by airmark(m): 11:10am On Sep 15, 2013
Katsumoto:

How does how you started the debate have any bearing on origins of peoples? Maybe I am thick; can you explain it to me? Joanna Lumley (a famous British actress) was born in Kaduna, does she claim to be Nigerian from Kaduna? How many of the children of British colonialists who were born in Nigeria, Ghana, India, Kenya, Uganda, etc claim those places? Until very recently, being born in Germany doesn't make you German or get you a German Passport. Being born in the UK these days doesn't guarantee anyone British citizenship.

And final warning, don't use childish insults on me again.
I can't just understand his argument. I remember when filling forms in nigeria, my state of origin was never my place of birth, because they were different. I filled my Dad's state of origin, which was the right thing to do.
He was insulting me too on his senseless point.
Re: Most Popular Nigerian Musicians Worldwide by birdman(m): 8:33pm On Sep 15, 2013
Katsumoto:

Your angle is based on a social construct - Nationality. In anthropology, human classifications is generally based on biological definitions of race such as Lineage, Essentialist, Taxonomic. i.e genes, skin colour, blood lines, genotypes, and stretched to include language, localization of populations to certain regions.

Using social construct, Obama is an American but who really is an American? Are you referring to the voluntary (15th century to present Europeans, and 20th century immigrants from other places) and involuntary (Slaves) immigrants? Or are you referring to the native indigenous people of America? Other than language, what does Obama share culturally, biologically with Americans native to Hawaii, or Caucasians resident in the deep south or Latino Americans? Obama has more in common with the ethnic group of his father in Kenya because that is the most pure bloodline in him. The same goes for Hakeem Seriki (Chamillionaire).

Going by any of the controversial means of classifying humans used by anthropologists, Hakeem Seriki is of the Yoruba Ethnic Group. His nationality may be American but he shares nothing in common with the indigenous ethnic groups of America. Similarly, during the age of colonization, many British sons and daughters were born and raised in Africa and India. Many of these British citizens spent a greater part of their lives in Africa and India, spoke African & Indian ethnic languages but never identified themselves as Africans or Indians.

My point is not to use anthropology to classify them so that they can be claimed as Nigerians; I could care less whether an individual sees himself as a Nigerian, American, or Brit. I use anthropology to classify because that is the only way to classify humans. If your parents are Indians and you spend all your life in Britain, you are still an Indian although you may be a British citizen and feel culturally British. If you raise African elephants in a Chinese zoo, do they become Chinese Elephants?

chinese elephants cheesy. Good and valid points.... but my reading of the OP's post is popular musicians who give us a sense of pride by being Nigerians. This by definition has to be a social construct as you pointed out. Based on that line of thought, I as a card carrying Nigerian have a sense of national pride when I see an Nneka or Asa performing at a concert. I might like Seal and Chamillionaire, but there is no "naija" connect there. So yes, you are right that they are Nigerians by lineage, but socially, you might as well be talking to a door if you bring up Nigerian stuff.

Iguodala refused to play for the national team because as he said, he honestly had no connection to his father's country. Same goes with a host of others. Nothing wrong with that, but associating with your homeland ought to be a thing of pride, not stuff we conscript people into.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

8 Nigerian Musicians That Needed To Stop Making Music In 2016 / What Are You Listening To Right Now? / Blackface Releases His Version Of 'African Queen' As 2face Fails To Credit Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.