Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,588 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:03 PM

Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need (12067 Views)

ECONOMISTS... Thinkers World. / New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones / Are ECONOMISTS Stingy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by uncleken: 3:54pm On Sep 11, 2013
Economists
Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by hyelhira: 3:57pm On Sep 11, 2013
@OP: Most Nigerian lecturers revel in smug ignorance. The wrong statements credited to him (if true) show the shallow-mindedness of the lecturer. I advise that you open your mind and acquire contemporary knowledge about the two complementing fields of study. Get the syllabuses of the two courses from good schools in climes where their educational system make sense and compare. You will be disappointed at the ineptitude of your lecturer.

1 Like

Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by Nobody: 4:01pm On Sep 11, 2013

1 Like

Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by jonescyras(m): 4:13pm On Sep 11, 2013
Don Snoogy Pon:

ask seun nau
you must be a prat. No adult with initiative can comment the way you do.
End time things is by no mean compatible with the debate.
Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by 0key: 4:21pm On Sep 11, 2013
What are the roles of those who read banking and finance in banking sector? Pls, somebody should enlighten me cos I'm not in any of the business courses.
Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by moscobabs(m): 4:22pm On Sep 11, 2013
extremelygolden: Breaking News

GEJ sacks 9 Ministers.
Those affected are:

1. Minister for National Planning
2. Minister of State for Defenece
3. Minister of Education
4. Minister of State for Power
5. Minister of Foriegn affairs
6. Minister of State for Agriculture
7. For Housing & Urban Development
8. Minister of Science & Techno
9. Minister of Environment
you don't know how to arrange things.....Minister of Education supose to come first,follow by Minister of Power then Minister of Defence...then others follow according to their responsibility
Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by abacusCm(m): 4:25pm On Sep 11, 2013
Your lecturers said the Economists will help the bank to minimise loss and mazimise profit.please help me to ask him the roles of management Accountants and cost Accountant.

1 Like

Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by moscobabs(m): 4:28pm On Sep 11, 2013
abacus Cm: Your lecturers said the Economists will help the bank to minimise loss and mazimise profit.please help me to ask him the roles of management Accountants and cost Accountant.
don't mind him jare.....that is the problem we have in Nigeria when a 1st degree holder is lecturing in a University.

1 Like

Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by Spacodinho(m): 4:31pm On Sep 11, 2013
Abeg, Ops you forgot to include those that actually studied banking and finance!
Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by veraponpo(m): 4:38pm On Sep 11, 2013
DEGREE2466: There is this controversy between we the economics students and our counterparts in accounting department due to a statement made by our economics lecturer when he said that banking sector is backsliding due to wrong hands at deck andd when we ask him why he said so he gave us the following reasons:

He said that banks are more of a profit making organisation than ordinary cash receiving and keeping organisation and therefore need works that is beyond that of an accountant which is recording transactions and balancing of accounts.

He further said that banks being a profit making organisation need the work of economists who will not only record transactions and balance accounts but will profer solution on how to minize cost/expenses, maximise profit and manage risk.

And that includes suggesting when to invest, how to invest and where to invest because of what is called short-run, long-run and very long-run in the economy.

Banks need accountants more than economists. For all I care, everything stated up there as an economist's job still fall under the purview of an accountant. Accounting goes beyond recording and balancing, it also involves data analysis, projections, interpretation, profering solutions, advisory services,financial management, risk management, forensic and assurance works,among many others.

What your lecturer said was just BOOK KEEPING which is baby of accounting. But economists too can work in a bank.

I want to know your view about this, should banks hire more of economists than accountants?
Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by yinka2011: 4:50pm On Sep 11, 2013
Anyway the bank I am most impressed with at the moment is [size=18pt]UNITY BANK - YES UNITY BANK.
[/size]

I walked in, opened account. No long lines, good service and much faster than what i was getting at my old over crowded bank that felt like a jungle cage.

and the staff so professional and attentive. This bank is coming up.
Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by DEGREE2466(m): 4:54pm On Sep 11, 2013
P.Stacks:
Look! This is nigeria... There are so many suare pegs in round holes in this Nigeria..

Work no dey! Unemployment is high so you have Pharmacist and engineers as bankers today.. The arguement of Economist and accountants can't even hold cos there are more of a related course as both are social sciences but what do you make of it when an engineer or Medical doctor works as a banker cos jobs are scarce..

I believe in the over-riding interest of the economy at large, Economist can take up policy and planning roles and programmes implementation and formulation for Banks while the accountants keep the books healthy.

Its ok to have economist in the bank provided their roles are clearly defined.

This is another issue too because some people said accounting is under social science but in my school accounting is under faculty of management science
Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by DEGREE2466(m): 4:59pm On Sep 11, 2013
#singing in Zachariah's voice#

At last all powerful master, you give leave to your servant to go in peace according to your promise for my eyes have seen your salvation which you have prepared for all nation.

Thanks MOD for the good job

Seun nwanne! Ana m ekele

And to my fellow nairalanders *winks*
Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by haibe(m): 4:59pm On Sep 11, 2013
abacus Cm: Your lecturers said the Economists will help the bank to minimise loss and mazimise profit.please help me to ask him the roles of management Accountants and cost Accountant.

Exactly what i wanted to say.

The truth is that both are needed but a bank can do without an economist but can't do without an accountant, A management/cost accountant can forecast, forsee, minimize costs, what else does an economist want to do again that a management accountant can't do, the work of an economist is mainly to aid the management in decision making and that is also one function of a cost/management accountant, providing information for decision making.

So the truth is both are needed but the accountants are needed more, any institution(profit or non-profit) needs an accountant as long as they receive some form of income, even a church. But an institution can still do without an economist.

1 Like

Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by jpphilips(m): 5:08pm On Sep 11, 2013
DEGREE2466: There is this controversy between we the economics students and our counterparts in accounting department due to a statement made by our economics lecturer when he said that banking sector is backsliding due to wrong hands at deck andd when we ask him why he said so he gave us the following reasons:

He said that banks are more of a profit making organisation than ordinary cash receiving and keeping organisation and therefore need works that is beyond that of an accountant which is recording transactions and balancing of accounts.

He further said that banks being a profit making organisation need the work of economists who will not only record transactions and balance accounts but will profer solution on how to minize cost/expenses, maximise profit and manage risk.

And that includes suggesting when to invest, how to invest and where to invest because of what is called short-run, long-run and very long-run in the economy.

I want to know your view about this, should banks hire more of economists than accountants?

There is a furrow between the Labor market and the Academic world, SMH for your lecturer, the same way they taught us that down hole well fishing and subsea fission are done by humans, we got there to meet Robots.
Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by jpphilips(m): 5:12pm On Sep 11, 2013
yinka2011: Anyway the bank I am most impressed with at the moment is [size=18pt]UNITY BANK - YES UNITY BANK.
[/size]

I walked in, opened account. No long lines, good service and much faster than what i was getting at my old over crowded bank that felt like a jungle cage.

Are you based in borno state? lol
Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by komek(m): 5:41pm On Sep 11, 2013
nicky_vick: ur Result Grade matters, Most banks hire Ppl wit 2:1 or 1st class now. then ur Aptitude test score and Interview. Also study hard to com out wit a gud grade (2:1 or1st class) most firms requires a gud grade now b4 dey can invite u for an interview. ur discipline doesn't realy count again. because dey will train you once u r employed.

Who is this? Read the Topic again pls.
Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by inyang007(m): 5:53pm On Sep 11, 2013
Cartigoricaly, their are 2 important things that takes any individual to a bank, its ether you there to invest your money or to save your money of which I think the duty of an accountant is to help you save your money while an economist is there to help you invest your money. Now 75% of the customers of so many banks are strictly there just to save there money while 25% are there for the investment run so by my calculations I think accountant are needed more in a bank than economist. But both are valuable in a banking system.
Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by yetunsbay(m): 5:55pm On Sep 11, 2013
What d chance of banking and finance graduate
Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by Nobody: 6:28pm On Sep 11, 2013
U nid 2 of dem.But The economist would b more of d oga at the top.U know wat i mean.Economists are brainy and clever,d work is more 4rm their number 6.U dnt expect an economist to carry out transactions 4 you when u av an accountant and u dnt expect an accountant to make VERY important planning and decisions for you when you av an economist.The two should work hand in hand for an effective and efficient organisation.To me,i dnt think an economist should av 2much paper work to do unlike d accountant.An economist would be more of an analyser,planner,predictor ,researcher,consultant,manager e.t.c.
Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by CooldudeY2J: 6:34pm On Sep 11, 2013
What d banks nid are managers a manager is trained 2 organise, coordinate both human & material resources in other 2 meet organisations goals & objectives. Without these skills a bank cannot move forward y do u tink a grad of accounting or economics would want a masters in biz admin. Managers are made not born
Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by binachi01(m): 6:45pm On Sep 11, 2013
Ur lecturer's knowledge bout accountin is myopic. There s a diff btw an acctnt and a bk keeper. D work of a book keeper s 2 keep records of daily transactn maintaing imprest dependin on d org. An acctnt functions beyond dat.they collct organise present interprete data 4 various financial users.mind u we also have managemnt acctnt dat deals specifically wit costs nd revenue which dey re also sumtyms calld cost acctnt.so ur lecturer needs more inf
Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by Ugom87(f): 6:47pm On Sep 11, 2013
Accountant
Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by Mustay(m): 6:56pm On Sep 11, 2013
I quite understand the partisan stance of the lecturer - I think we are overflogging his trying to prove a point. Like some have rightly pointed, accounting isn't just about book keeping however, cost accountants are an example. Additionally when we mention analysts, they do need some knowledge of both fields. That's the more reason why economics and FR are usually visible in syllabi of professional bodies' examinations.
Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by Mustay(m): 6:57pm On Sep 11, 2013
I quite understand the partisan stance of the lecturer - I think we are overflogging his trying to prove a point. Like some have rightly pointed, accounting isn't just about book keeping however, cost accountants are an example. Additionally when we mention analysts, they do need some knowledge of both fields. That's the more reason why economics and FR are usually visible in syllabi of professional bodies' examinations. Both are intertwined - in school, they tell you Economics is the father of all management courses which is quite true wink
Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by sunch(m): 7:27pm On Sep 11, 2013
manny4life: Each play a different role in the bank

This is not the job of an economist but of an accountant with the exception of "risk management".

Put it this way

Accountants - whether staff, cost , financial , tax or whatever accountant, they have one thing in common --- managing money for their enterprise.

Economist - Labor, Financial, Regional, etc...Whichever, they simply forecast for their enterprise.

Like I said, they need both, but it depends on what type of banking.
Rightly said
Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by Kx: 7:35pm On Sep 11, 2013
Apparently ur lecturer may not have experienced working outside d class room.
Otherwise he wud hv knwn dat dis question does not arise.
Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by Reference(m): 7:56pm On Sep 11, 2013

No. They need lawyers because the day of atonement is coming.
Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by Reference(m): 8:00pm On Sep 11, 2013
yinka2011: Anyway the bank I am most impressed with at the moment is [size=18pt]UNITY BANK - YES UNITY BANK.
[/size]

Hmm. No queues, courteous and attentive staff. Pally you sure you ain't in a morgue. That's the sign of imminent coll.... Please look again at the elevator sign again and watch where the arrow us pointing. Carefully.
Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by Tricialeah: 8:02pm On Sep 11, 2013
both are important cos of de diferent skills de poses
Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by calcal: 8:07pm On Sep 11, 2013
They need the profs and programmer to develop software that will do all jobs then get school certs to run the keyboard, they will make more money.
Re: Economists Or Accountants, Which Ones Do Banks Need by Boss13: 8:15pm On Sep 11, 2013
Your lecturer is responding from economics of Adam Smith (short-run indeed). Honestly, banks do not need your degree because they know Nigerian universities churn out graduates without the pre-requisite knowledge. Nigerian universities are yet to adapt to the changing world. Lecturers still teach from outdated syllabus. Yet they want huge allowances.

To answer your question, study hard, make a good grade, apply and pass bank aptitude test. You will gain employment. The bank will train you to fit into their organisation. Forget that your archaic lecturer who is still living in the short-run

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What do professors think of students who fall asleep in class? / Need Some Information On Caritas University Enugu / ASUU Fresh Strike Threat Causing Panic, No Agreement Yet – FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.