Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,215 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:31 AM

What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? - Literature (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? (126109 Views)

What Books Are You Reading At The Moment-share It With Us / Love Reading, Right? Well, Check This Site Out! / What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (61) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by moneyallowed(m): 8:59pm On May 20, 2015
nicholausian:

She is a professor in the US, has lived there most of her life. What do you expect? When will we see homegrown Nigerian writers with no affiliations to First World countries?
Yea i checked up on her bio afterwards. She's not as new as i thought, won her fair share of awards too
I agree, it's a problem when most of a nation's best writers are those in diaspora. It would be easier to understand if Nigeria had an oppresive military regime and all the intellectuals were in exile but that's not the case. I think the background is important, it's easier to suceed abroad definitely. It is no coincidence that Chimamanda Adichie, Helon Habila, Sefi Atta and Teju Cole all have postgraduate links to foreign universities. There they get exposure, constructive literary criticism and inevitably a loyal following of fans who have read and liked their work. We lack all three here in Nigeria. The publishing houses have the odds stacked against them here while our universities are more concerned with nepotism and mediocrity. Our reading culture isn't great either. Maybe with the rise of self publishing we'll get to see more voices from home. If anything can bridge the gap, it's the internet

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by SIRcumalot: 3:45am On May 21, 2015
moneyallowed:

Yea i checked up on her bio afterwards. She's not as new as i thought, won her fair share of awards too
I agree, it's a problem when most of a nation's best writers are those in diaspora. It would be easier to understand if Nigeria had an oppresive military regime and all the intellectuals were in exile but that's not the case. I think the background is important, it's easier to suceed abroad definitely. It is no coincidence that Chimamanda Adichie, Helon Habila, Sefi Atta and Teju Cole all have postgraduate links to foreign universities. There they get exposure, constructive literary criticism and inevitably a loyal following of fans who have read and liked their work. We lack all three here in Nigeria. The publishing houses have the odds stacked against them here while our universities are more concerned with nepotism and mediocrity. Our reading culture isn't great either. Maybe with the rise of self publishing we'll get to see more voices from home. If anything can bridge the gap, it's the internet
For some very strange reason, I haven't yet figured out why i find it very difficult to read a book written by a Nigerian or an African writer I think the only ones i have read are recommended reading for my Junior Waec and my personal favorite Bassey and company.
I tried reading famished road by ben okri but it got so weird I had to stop.
Maybe eventually I would overcome this hump and try to read some,so please recommend your favorite novel written by people from this continent.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by moneyallowed(m): 6:42am On May 21, 2015
SIRcumalot:

For some very strange reason, I haven't yet figured out why i find it very difficult to read a book written by a Nigerian or an African writer I think the only ones i have read are recommended reading for my Junior Waec and my personal favorite Bassey and company.
Maybe eventually I would overcome this hump and try to read some,so please recommend your favorite novel written by people from this continent.
I totally get you bro, it's not strange at all. If you compare the number of western novels i read to the african books, the ratio is about 1000:1, and i liked very few out of that little ratio. I plan to read more widely from the pool of African authors soon though. Just saying this so you won't take my personal favourites as a definitive guide.
Since we got that out of the way, here goes..

Chaka by Thomas Mofolo. If you're looking for a classic rise and fall adventure story minus the happy ending, this is it.

An African Night's Entertainment by Cyprian Ekwensi. I have to say Cyprian is my favourite Nigerian author of all time and this is my favourite book of his. So i'm probably biased here grin

Time Changes Yesterday by Nyengi Koin. I had to choose between this and Second Chance, in the end i went for it. Romance, coming of age story, it's good, very good

A Grain of Wheat by Ngugi Wa Thiongo. Of all the anti-colonial books written by Africans, i think this is the best. It has some disorienting flashbacks though so be prepared

Memoirs of A Porcupine by Alain Mabanckou. It's funny as hell yet so deep, i think he meant it as a satire. And yes, it's about a porcupine, don't worry it's not just the porcupine. The main problem with the book is his writing style. There are no commas, or full stops. Takes some getting used to but when you do it's worth it. If you don't dig it, try Broken Glass by the same guy

Dust by Yvonne Owuor. Best book i've read recently by an african author. If i have to include someone contemporary, she's my pick. The books strength is the beautiful descriptions, they're so rich that when you're done it feels like you actually visited Kenya.

Now for plays, i love plays so i'll have to include some. Most of the ones i know are by nigerian authors so that's why it's like this. I'll pick Holding Talks by Ola Rotimi, just cos it was a play about nothing really. Morountodon and Other Plays and Twingle Twangle by Femi Osofisan just cos it's Osofisan. Death of A King's Horseman by Wole Soyinka, oh and Trials of Brother Jero too. Finally i'll pick The Ozidi Saga by John Pepper Clark, cos it's the closest african work i've seen to The Odyssey, and no i am not exaggerating.
I would have added The Palm wine Drinkard by Amos Tutuola but since you didn't enjoy Famished Road, maybe not cos they're kinda similar

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Illuminatus(m): 9:18am On May 21, 2015
So, I read the Blood Song by Anthony Ryan. I just finished it and I admit that it's an entertaining book. Quite different from R. A. Salvatore's work. I particularly enjoyed the ending, the suspense that was built up and the intrigue that came with the revelation of the witcher's son. However, it was nothing like The Furies of Calderon from Codex Alera, which is what I was expecting. Shrug. Anyway, the first time Vaelin met his half sister, he made a comment about wondering why his father did something and how he now knew. That part didn't make full sense to me. What was he talking about?
I've looked for the second book. I couldn't find it from my trusted sites. Anyway, I guess I have to use torrents which I can't do with my iPhone. Could anybody help me with it somehow? Thanks.
In the meantime, I'll be reading The Martian by Andy Weir and probably The Blood of Olympus after that.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by ellachic95(f): 9:46am On May 21, 2015
An0nimus:
467 pages? several times? receive grace grin
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by SIRcumalot: 9:54am On May 21, 2015
moneyallowed:

I totally get you bro, it's not strange at all. If you compare the number of western novels i read to the african books, the ratio is about 1000:1, and i liked very few out of that little ratio. I plan to read more widely from the pool of African authors soon though. Just saying this so you won't take my personal favourites as a definitive guide.

Chaka by Thomas Mofolo. If you're looking for a classic rise and fall adventure story minus the happy ending, this is it.

An African Night's Entertainment by Cyprian Ekwensi. I have to say Cyprian is my favourite Nigerian author of all time and this is my favourite book of his. So i'm probably biased here grin

Time Changes Yesterday by Nyengi Koin. I had to choose between this and Second Chance, in the end i went for it. Romance, coming of age story, it's good, very good

A Grain of Wheat by Ngugi Wa Thiongo. Of all the anti-colonial books written by Africans, i think this is the best. It has some disorienting flashbacks though so be prepared

Memoirs of A Porcupine by Alain Mabanckou. It's funny as hell yet so deep, i think he meant it as a satire. And yes, it's about a porcupine, don't worry it's not just the porcupine. The main problem with the book is his writing style. There are no commas, or full stops. Takes some getting used to but when you do it's worth it. If you don't dig it, try Broken Glass by the same guy

Dust by Yvonne Owuor. Best book i've read recently by an african author. If i have to include someone contemporary, she's my pick. The books strength is the beautiful descriptions, they're so rich that when you're done it feels like you actually visited Kenya.

Now for plays, i love plays so i'll have to include some. Most of the ones i know are by nigerian authors so that's why it's like this. I'll pick Holding Talks by Ola Rotimi, just cos it was a play about nothing really. Morountodon and Other Plays and Twingle Twangle by Femi Osofisan just cos it's Osofisan. Death of A King's Horseman by Wole Soyinka, oh and Trials of Brother Jero too. Finally i'll pick The Ozidi Saga by John Pepper Clark, cos it's the closest african work i've seen to The Odyssey, and no i am not exaggerating.
I would have added The Palm wine Drinkard by Amos Tutuola but since you didn't enjoy Famished Road, maybe not cos they're kinda similar

Cyprian ekwensi was very good, I read african night entertainment for school I remember it has a (white cover version) but he also wrote this awesome book
it was about a man who wanted to marry a beautiful wife but had to fight other contestant in the dark I remember somebody cheated the(main bad guy) by wearing a chain mail. Can't remember much more
I'll be reading all your recommendation soon as i get them, am starting with Wole soyinka though have to see what the hype is all about.
Thanks.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by SIRcumalot: 10:02am On May 21, 2015
Illuminatus:
So, I read the Blood Song by Anthony Ryan. I just finished it and I admit that it's an entertaining book. Quite different from R. A. Salvatore's work. I particularly enjoyed the ending, the suspense that was built up and the intrigue that came with the revelation of the witcher's son. However, it was nothing like The Furies of Calderon from Codex Alera, which is what I was expecting. Shrug. Anyway, the first time Vaelin met his half sister, he made a comment about wondering why his father did something and how he now knew. That part didn't make full sense to me. What was he talking about?
I've looked for the second book. I couldn't find it from my trusted sites. Anyway, I guess I have to use torrents which I can't do with my iPhone. Could anybody help me with it somehow? Thanks.
In the meantime, I'll be reading The Martian by Andy Weir and probably The Blood of Olympus after that.
I see you're drizzt fan
I think it is the fact that his father remarried am not so sure, you should give more detail but I don't fact is relevant to the story.
Heard good things about the Martian have got the audiobook version haven't gotten around to listen sha,
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by moneyallowed(m): 10:06am On May 21, 2015
SIRcumalot:

Cyprian ekwensi was very good, I read african night entertainment for school I remember it has a (white cover version) but he also wrote this awesome book
it was about a man who wanted to marry a beautiful wife but had to fight other contestant in the dark I remember somebody cheated the(main bad guy) by wearing a chain mail. Can't remember much more
I'll be reading all your recommendation soon as i get them, am starting with Wole soyinka though have to see what the hype is all about.
Thanks.
That was Passport of Mallam Ilia, lovely book. Good luck with your reading and if you find any more african gems please let me know

1 Like

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by moneyallowed(m): 10:09am On May 21, 2015
Illuminatus:
You could pm me so i can send the 2nd book to your mail. I've tried so hard to get into Salvatore without success. What book of his do you recommend i start with, preferably something dark and heavy. I have to check that passage you mentioned again, is it the one where he meets her gathering flowers?
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by oyinlolami(f): 12:14pm On May 21, 2015
The Brothers Karamazov. Page 305. smiley

2 Likes

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by ellachic95(f): 12:27pm On May 21, 2015
An0nimus:

467 pages? several times? receive grace grin
..lollllzzz.big books rock any day,find one and u'l dread finishing it.

2 Likes

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by sage1000: 12:34pm On May 21, 2015
Illuminatus:

he was thinking the reason his father sent him to the order was to make room for his new family and that he was unwanted. This was before he learnt d choice was his mother

2 Likes

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by nicholausian(m): 1:21pm On May 21, 2015
moneyallowed:

You forgot to mention Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, A Bend in the River by V. S. Naipaul, Disgrace by J M Coetzee and Poor Christ of Bomba by Mongo Beti. There's also Confessions of a Lioness.

1 Like

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Illuminatus(m): 1:58pm On May 21, 2015
moneyallowed:

I don't read much of African novels too. In fact, the only contemporary African author I read is Adiche and then my friends on Facebook who produce good flash fiction. For some reason even I can't decipher, I don't enjoy old classics.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Illuminatus(m): 2:26pm On May 21, 2015
SIRcumalot:

I see you're drizzt fan
I think it is the fact that his father remarried am not so sure, you should give more detail but I don't fact is relevant to the story.
Heard good things about the Martian have got the audiobook version haven't gotten around to listen sha,
Yeah. Homeland is still my favorite Salvatore novel. But I'm deeply in love with the Cleric Quintet series... :-). I've solved the puzzle about that Vaelin said. Thanks.
The Martian is so far...good. The character is funny and entertaining. The plot isn't loose and plausible.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Mczigx(m): 3:45pm On May 21, 2015
Funjosh:
Presently in Auchi Edo State but will be in Lagos this week

pls where do u buy ur books in auchi.....i skul dere
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Funjosh(m): 8:39am On May 22, 2015
Mczigx:
pls where do u buy ur books in auchi.....i skul dere
I do get my books from Lagos before travelling down to Auchi.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Illuminatus(m): 9:14am On May 22, 2015
So I'm done with The Martian and I'm recommending it for everybody. It's entertaining, somewhat educative and provides a good laugh once in a while. Andy has a fan in me now. Lol.
I finally got The Tower Lord, thanks to @moneyallowed but I don't know when I'll start it. My free time is up, again. But I'll definitely be reading it before the latest book in the Heroes of Olympus series...
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by oyinlolami(f): 1:54pm On May 27, 2015
For sin is sweet; all abuse it, but all men live in it,
only others do it on the sly, and I openly.
And so all the other sinners fall upon me
for being so simple.

- Fyodor Pavlovitch Karamazov

Page 353, The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky

1 Like

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Illuminatus(m): 4:40pm On May 27, 2015
Reading Life of Pi by Yann Martel. Just started. This book is supposed to be entertaining and...spiritual. What with it winning the Man Booker...
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by moneyallowed(m): 9:24am On May 28, 2015
nicholausian:

You forgot to mention Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, A Bend in the River by V. S. Naipaul, Disgrace by J M Coetzee and Poor Christ of Bomba by Mongo Beti. There's also Confessions of a Lioness.
Thanks for the recs i'll start with heart of darkness
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by beryl04(m): 11:50pm On May 28, 2015
reading the lost symbol by Dan Brown.
on page 201

1 Like

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by ojeota(f): 5:48am On Jun 02, 2015
timpaker:

Done!

My apologies for the late reply. I just checked my email now and found it.

Thanks
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by BasseyJ(m): 11:17am On Jun 04, 2015
kay9:
Brandon Sanderson - Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, Book 2). Halfway through.

Hey, just had to share this.. Do u like fantasy? Enjoyed the Song of Ice and Fire series? Have a soft spot for Tolkien? Or did u grow your literary milk teeth on Sword of Shannara and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time books? Well, guess what? smiley The good ol' days are back again!
The name is The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (Stormlight Archive bk 1). Seriously, this is probably the best novel of its genre i've ever read. So...now u know. Oya, find it and read and tell others the good news! cheesy

Thanks man, just finished reading Words of Radiance and it was better than I hoped for, can't wait for the next book in the series. I've already read the Shannara series and Wheel of Time. Can you recommend more fantasy novels as good as those?? I'll appreciate
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by spyglaxx: 11:01pm On Jun 04, 2015
Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole , I'm in the next page
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Emyemyberry(m): 11:17pm On Jun 04, 2015
Finished "sands of time",80% into "if tomorrow comes",all by sidney sheldon

1 Like

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jun 05, 2015
Just finished reading The Liar's Key, The Red Queen's War #2.... Really good book, but had to plough through some parts of it... Prefer the first book
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by SIRcumalot: 9:06pm On Jun 05, 2015
pyrokardia:
Just finished reading The Liar's Key, The Red Queen's War #2.... Really good book, but had to plough through some parts of it... Prefer the first book
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jun 09, 2015
Currently reading Interpreter of Maladies. ~ Jhumpa Lahiri. Read Junot Diaz' This Is How You Lose Her before this one.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jun 09, 2015
SIRcumalot:

The Famished Road is of a very unusual genre: magical realism, and that, mayhaps is why you found it weird. Another reason may be that you're the kindda person who has become used to blood pumping thrillers. If so, try Frederick Forsyth books : far more enjoyable than Tom Clancy's, IMO.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jun 09, 2015
Reading if tomorrow comes by sidney sheldon,page 224.
Damn! Con Artistry. Jeff Stevens and Tracey Whitney.

1 Like

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jun 09, 2015
Bassey and Company. God, brings back such nostalgia. I'd love to get the paperback now.
@topic, Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (61) (Reply)

S€X Story : My Lovely Houseboy Episode 1 To 10 / The Godmother / Despite All Odds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.