Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,938 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:35 PM

How Does Receiving $ From Western Union Work In Naija? Do You Need An Account? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Does Receiving $ From Western Union Work In Naija? Do You Need An Account? (1465 Views)

Please Help: UBA Block My Account For Receiving 200k Payment / GTBank Stops Over-The-Counter Western-Union Transactions, Use Internet Banking / Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Does Receiving $ From Western Union Work In Naija? Do You Need An Account? by TrickofTech: 7:08pm On Sep 13, 2013
Please help me with this someone...it is driving me mad o!!! I am trying to send my dear friend some money from abroad for her birthday. Apparently her bank (GTB) require a 3 month current account before she can transfer the money!!!

This is ridiculous!

Do the other major Nigerian Banks (Access, Skye, UBA, Ecobank, Keystone etc.) demand similar conditions for a WU transfer? What I mean is...could a Nigerian walk into one of these banks, with no existing savings OR current account...and withdraw a WU transfer in cash?

I will be very sad if I cannot get her it by her birthday.

Thanks.
Re: How Does Receiving $ From Western Union Work In Naija? Do You Need An Account? by georjay(m): 7:11pm On Sep 13, 2013
U SURE SAY NA BUFFDAY MONEY U WAN SEND...ABI U DON COLLECT CONTROL NUMBER....ABI DEM WAN USE UR HEAD...WICH ONE
Re: How Does Receiving $ From Western Union Work In Naija? Do You Need An Account? by TrickofTech: 7:13pm On Sep 13, 2013
georjay: U SURE SAY NA BUFFDAY MONEY U WAN SEND...ABI U DON COLLECT CONTROL NUMBER....ABI DEM WAN USE UR HEAD...WICH ONE

Do you need an account with a bank...to receive funds from Western Union?
Re: How Does Receiving $ From Western Union Work In Naija? Do You Need An Account? by georjay(m): 7:21pm On Sep 13, 2013
TrickofTech:

Do you need an account with a bank...to receive funds from Western Union?

NO NO NO
Re: How Does Receiving $ From Western Union Work In Naija? Do You Need An Account? by TrickofTech: 7:23pm On Sep 13, 2013
georjay:

NO NO NO

Then why have GTB Bank told my friend that "I am sorry...you have a savings account, you must have a current account for 3 months to recieve a Western Union transfer"!!!!

Why?!

Is there a bank or shop that she can just walk into...and withdraw the cash? WITHOUT BANKING AT THAT BANK AND HAVING AN ACCOUNT THERE?
Re: How Does Receiving $ From Western Union Work In Naija? Do You Need An Account? by happyday: 7:32pm On Sep 13, 2013
While most banks will tell you this on the face value, don't be carried away. I've used UBA and Skye Bank before now, and sincerely, it's easier if she has an account there, or know someone who does.
Although I now own an account in Skye, my first time had me approaching a guy in the banking hall, who signed for me with his account, and let me used his account to withdraw.
So, let her go to Skye, and meet the Security guys or the cashier, they are nicer than UBA.
Hope this helps.
Re: How Does Receiving $ From Western Union Work In Naija? Do You Need An Account? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Sep 13, 2013
If she doesn't have an account with a particular bank she can ask someone who does to Reference him/her, GTbank and Zenith requires strictly current account, others do accept savings, best bank i will recommend is tell her to ask someone who owns a first bank account to reference her.

(1) (Reply)

Do You Have A Paypal Account In Lagos? Please I Need Your Help / Help: How To Use USD Google Account To Buy On Aliexpress / Would You Like A One On One Domain Flipping Training? Come In Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.