Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,737 members, 7,824,086 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:28 PM

Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering (59670 Views)

Engineering Vs Medicine, Which Is More Expensive To Study / Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. / Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 12:10pm On Feb 07, 2017
Obaino2013:
Sorry for resurrecting this thread undecided
I just stumbled upon it.

I am a chemical engineer, I graduated with 2.2.
Plz what certification(s) can I get to have a chance with Oil Servicing coys since the main oil coys go for 2.1?

Someone said I should go for nebosh
But am looking at instrumentation or welding embarassed

Pls someone should help me out, don't know much about certifications.

Cc: 9ijaMan, jpphilips ...

As a chemical engineer, you are a process engineer, all your certifications must target process completion.
I will recommend the following for you;

# Engineering design application

# Mud engineering certification.

#Quality implementation certification ( NACE, ASNT, ISO, API , CWI, ASME etc)
# Integrity assessment and corrosion monitoring.

# Instrumentation is good but I will employ an electrical major with instrumentation before a chemical guy with it. It is not a standard procedure but just a matter of preference.

If you decide to stick to oil companies then the following will help;

# Production and test separation systems

# Oil export systems operations

# Chemical treatment

# crude oil storage, oil stabilization, pigging, oil fiscal metering.

If you prefer gas then these certifications may help;

# Two phase separation

# Gas sweetening, Gas compression and dehydration systems, Gas lift systems.

# water oil and Gas sampling analysis.

You can combine all of these individual certifications under

# Oil field surface facilities operations, it has an introductory and advanced, whichever you can afford.

If you watch closely, they are basically production operations, since service companies are employed to assist them in most operations, for sure one of these must land you in a servicing company.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 12:13pm On Feb 07, 2017
Obaino2013:

Thank you very much. I really appreciate.

Yeah, process is my thing, but am looking at changing to drilling, perhaps, an Msc in petroleum Engr.

Do u know any coy(s) I can apply to?

You don't need an MSc to become a driller, go and do their certification courses, you guys should stop wasting money.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 12:45pm On Feb 07, 2017
Nate7even:
I belive so too, with the construction industry booming and nigeria still developing, bridges,highrise buildings,tunnels,railways,roads,drainage systems etc are still in very high demands

You just mentioned the conventional civil
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 1:06pm On Feb 07, 2017
Dannyclemz:
Well am currently studying Petroleum Engineering in the university of Uyo and am planning bu God's grace to go in for Gas Engineering at my masters level! Haven't heard anyone talking about Gas Engineering...what do you guys think?

Don't do an MSC for Gas engineering at entry level, do their certifications and you are good to go, perhaps later in your career, you may consider that.

1 Like

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Obaino2013(m): 6:41pm On Feb 08, 2017
jpphilips:

Thank you very much sir.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jul 05, 2017
jpphilips:

Don't do an MSC for Gas engineering at entry level, do their certifications and you are good to go, perhaps later in your career, you may consider that.

What certifications can one acquire in Gas engineering?

Of how much use would training in Mechatronics be to a Petroleum Engineer that wishes to build a career in the gas/process/petrochemical/gas-to-power industry?
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by asamaigho(m): 8:38pm On Dec 30, 2018
elect, mech, chem, civil, agricultural are the parents while others fall below. under elect-,computer,electronics,avionics etc, mech-prod,auto etc, chem-pet,drilling,environmental,process,bio etc, civil-structural,highway etc agric-food, brewery etc. I STAND TO BE CORRECTED
civil……environmental,highway,structural,geotech,geoinformatics,tunnel,hydraulics,railway.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by asamaigho(m): 8:41pm On Dec 30, 2018
gbengadada2004:

Pls this your opinion in terms of job prospect is it in relation to getting job in oil and gas industry?
I have to ask this because, in these days of telecommunication apart from Electrical, Computer Engineering have more job prospect than Mechanical, Chemical, Petroleum and the other ones you have listed. I have so many jobless friends that studied Mechanical, Chemical, Petroleum etc. Infact the Head of Department of Chemical Engineering in my University once said that if he was opportuned to choose course as an undergraduate again, he will choose Computer Engineering. As an electrical or computer engineer, banks and telecommunication companies like mtn, glo, etisalat, etc are there to employ you.
1st- Electrical
2nd- Computer
Others can follow.

i wonder what computer engineers will be doing in o/g sector.......repairing and coupling pcs i gues

1 Like

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by thenewmunir(m): 8:58am On Dec 31, 2018
primusmaximus:

In my opinion... In terms of job prospect
1st- Electrical
2nd- Mechanical
3rd- Chemical
4th- Computer
5th- Met & Mats
6th- Civil
7th- Systems/Petroleum
But when it comes to salary range that list rearranges itself very quickly
1st- Petroleum
2nd- Mechanical
3rd- Chemical
4th- Electrical
5th- Systems
6th- Computer
7th- Civil/ Met n Mats
So you have to ask yourself some serious questions b4 making your decision. Keep in mind that only 1-2 petroleum Engrs at most out of 10 from a Nigerian university will make it into the oil and gas industry. Also keep in mind that there are more mechanical engrs in the oil and gas industry than any other engineering department.
(NOTE: IN MY OPINION)
U didn't rate mechatronics
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Eromonse: 3:23pm On Dec 31, 2019
primusmaximus:

In my opinion... In terms of job prospect
1st- Electrical
2nd- Mechanical
3rd- Chemical
4th- Computer
5th- Met & Mats
6th- Civil
7th- Systems/Petroleum
But when it comes to salary range that list rearranges itself very quickly
1st- Petroleum
2nd- Mechanical
3rd- Chemical
4th- Electrical
5th- Systems
6th- Computer
7th- Civil/ Met n Mats
So you have to ask yourself some serious questions b4 making your decision. Keep in mind that only 1-2 petroleum Engrs at most out of 10 from a Nigerian university will make it into the oil and gas industry. Also keep in mind that there are more mechanical engrs in the oil and gas industry than any other engineering department.
(NOTE: IN MY OPINION)
Please what of mechatronics engineering
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Charisgeorge: 5:06pm On Jan 01, 2020
opportunities in agriculture and bio resources engineering

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Man Buys N1500 Pencil In Ikoyi Lagos, Shares Photo / 10 Departments In The University Which Girls Admire Their Guys / Student Caught With 'Expo' In Glass Case In Exam Hall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.