Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,700 members, 7,820,444 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering (59634 Views)

Engineering Vs Medicine, Which Is More Expensive To Study / Agricultural Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering. / Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Histrings08(m): 8:55am On Sep 18, 2013
leatherman: i studied mechanical engineering, i'm working in a petroleum company and i'm doing the job of a chemical engineer. i sometimes work with electrical and mechanical engineers, while support the ministry of civil engineers with money.
...let's watch it carefully,some of those fields are kind of related,they can perform each others function....sometimes if you check ur curriculum you'll see that there's no much difference...that's why its advisable to study a course that isn't that restricted or has a wider application...Gracias
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Emmafrancis: 8:56am On Sep 18, 2013
Nobody is mentioning MARINE ENGINEERING. Its as important if not more than others
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 9:02am On Sep 18, 2013
kenneyyice: Tankz peepz but shuld i jugde it base on skul, base on d course or base on job opportunity.... I got petroleum engineering in uniben tru jamb and chemical engineering in unizik tru pre science.. Which one shuld i accept

For trainee positions, lay your emphasis on jamb vs pre-science, chemical vs pet.eng, at that level, it is only a HR who doesn't have a job for you will ask you the school you attended so long as the course you studied is accredited, you have absolutely nothing to worry about at this level.
further more, some charge and bail organizations have funny reasons why they turn down job applications, most of them are just taking orders not necessarily doing their jobs.
lastly, private universities are not well known to foreign HR's so they may discriminate and also most private universities do fail accreditation a lot so the HR's do keep tab on that. so long as accreditation checks out, nothing to worry about.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Tats(m): 9:20am On Sep 18, 2013
Emmafrancis: Nobody is mentioning MARINE ENGINEERING. Its as important if not more than others

LOL. But the thread is not about marine engineering and most engineering schools in Nigerian Universities don't offer marine engineering. So knowledge about it is limited.

By the way, how is marine engineering more important that others?

If there is no electrical, mechanical, civil, production, etc how will a ship (including its engines & Rudders) be constructed? undecided

If there is no petroleum & chemical engineering, how will the ship move from point A to B? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by primusmaximus: 9:22am On Sep 18, 2013
kenneyyice: Tankz peepz but shuld i jugde it base on skul, base on d course or base on job opportunity.... I got petroleum engineering in uniben tru jamb and chemical engineering in unizik tru pre science.. Which one shuld i accept
personally, I think you should take all 3 factors seriously.. Its a very tricky situation you are in and its a decision no one can really make for you. A graduate from uniben is more likely to get a job before a grad from unizik (All other factors being equal) and a Chemical engineering grad is more likely to get a Job than a Petroleum engineering grad (all other factors being equal).. Companies with job openings will even come to uniben during your undergrad years. Halliburton, shell and Total will come offering you guys(Top 10 in your department) programs too during you undergad years at Uniben.. If in your shoes I'll have gone with Uniben

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 9:24am On Sep 18, 2013
9ijaMan:

Virtually all the options in Elec/Elec Engineering (Power, Control, Instrumentation, Telecoms and to some extent computing) are applicable to the O&G industry. For ease of understanding, let's just assume E&P is a subset of the O&G industry. Hence O&G can be divided into two major components:
1. The E&Ps or Exploration and Production Companies (Oil Producing or Oil Majors such as Shell, Exxon, Agip, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, ConOil, PanOcean, Addax, Nexen etc).
2. The Oil Field Services Companies (e.g. Schlumberger, Halliburton, Baker Hughes, NOV - National Oilwell Varco, TransOcean, Saipem, KCA Deutag, Noble Drilling etc).

Similarly, the E&P sector can be broken down into 2 broad groups, the Upstream and the downstream.
Upstream represents the sector that handles everything about crude oil from beneath the surface of the earth through exploration phase, discovery, drilling and subsequently flowing the well to the surface.
Downstream refers to just about all the processing the oil will pass through once it gets to the surface until it gets into the tank of your car, or generator set (literarilly).

Abeg don't ask me why upstream has to do with below the ground and downstream above the ground, 'cos I know it defies logic.

Back to your question, on what option to specialize in out of Power, Control, Instrumentation, Telecoms and to some extent computing.
Power is most applicable to the downstream sector, e.g. when you have to work with turbines etc. However the other options are applicable to both upstream and downstream, albeit at varying degrees. I chose the Instrumentation & Control option while at Ife. Although this option is actually more applicable on surface (downstream) than subsurface (upstream), I started out with an Oil field services company as a Field Engineer and today, I'm working as a Drilling Professional where I have minimal interactions with any of the 4 or options listed above, besides using my mobile phone and other mobile devices (Telecoms); my office & home computers (Power & computing); and including some sub-surface and surface gauges (instrumentation & control) when I'm completing a well.

I'm honored to be your mentor, just don't ask me too much questions about Elec/Elec Engineering o grin grin!

I agree with most of your post but the bold phrase needs to be fine tuned a little, in the upstream sector, there are a lot of power processes, i don't think there is a production platform, FSO, FPSO, Terminal in Nigeria that doesn't have a gas Turbine or Gas generator at the very least, please correct me if im wrong. i believe such dept do have elect guys, i like your choice of instrumentation but that lad isn't coming to the industry till the next 6 or 7yrs, so you should equally consider the future of the industry.

A lot of oil majors are divesting to gas im referring to these major projects in the industry;

Shell: AGG projects
Tepng/ENI: brass LNG projects, NOPL
Chevron: EGTL projects
Exxon: AG re injection/export projects.

now, what are they seeing? they are seeing a future in liquified gas export and gas-power support.
i am not saying that instrumentation will die off neither am i insinuating that they wont need instrumentation engineers, i am only pointing out that there is a frame work that will create another super industry in power.
these Gas-power projects will create a lot of opportunities directly or indirectly with the oil industry. i foresee some power generating companies paying as much as the oil servicing companies, just like the telecom revolution, however, this power industry will be bigger than the telecoms industry.

great you did instrumentation, i like those guys.

1 Like

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Emmafrancis: 9:41am On Sep 18, 2013
Tats:

LOL. But the thread is not about marine engineering and most engineering schools in Nigerian Universities don't offer marine engineering. So knowledge about it is limited.

By the way, how is marine engineering more important that others?

If there is no electrical, mechanical, civil, production, etc how will a ship (including its engines & Rudders) be constructed? undecided

If there is no petroleum & chemical engineering, how will the ship move from point A to B? undecided

RUST and FUPRE(my sch) offers this Course. when I was referring to its important I had in mind the relevance to oil and gas, and at Bsc level the competitions for jobs is less.
The Pay is great. The options in marine are all challenging and exciting.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 9:43am On Sep 18, 2013
Histrings08: ...let's watch it carefully,some of those fields are kind of related,they can perform each others function....sometimes if you check ur curriculum you'll see that there's no much difference...that's why its advisable to study a course that isn't that restricted or has a wider application...Gracias

you are right in a way but the operations of a particular organization may to a large extent narrow it down.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 9:58am On Sep 18, 2013
deleted
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by lymelyte(m): 9:59am On Sep 18, 2013
9ijaMan:

Virtually all the options in Elec/Elec Engineering (Power, Control, Instrumentation, Telecoms and to some extent computing) are applicable to the O&G industry. For ease of understanding, let's just assume E&P is a subset of the O&G industry. Hence O&G can be divided into two major components:
1. The E&Ps or Exploration and Production Companies (Oil Producing or Oil Majors such as Shell, Exxon, Agip, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, ConOil, PanOcean, Addax, Nexen etc).
2. The Oil Field Services Companies (e.g. Schlumberger, Halliburton, Baker Hughes, NOV - National Oilwell Varco, TransOcean, Saipem, KCA Deutag, Noble Drilling etc).

Similarly, the E&P sector can be broken down into 2 broad groups, the Upstream and the downstream.
Upstream represents the sector that handles everything about crude oil from beneath the surface of the earth through exploration phase, discovery, drilling and subsequently flowing the well to the surface.
Downstream refers to just about all the processing the oil will pass through once it gets to the surface until it gets into the tank of your car, or generator set (literarilly).

Abeg don't ask me why upstream has to do with below the ground and downstream above the ground, 'cos I know it defies logic.

Back to your question, on what option to specialize in out of Power, Control, Instrumentation, Telecoms and to some extent computing.
Power is most applicable to the downstream sector, e.g. when you have to work with turbines etc. However the other options are applicable to both upstream and downstream, albeit at varying degrees. I chose the Instrumentation & Control option while at Ife. Although this option is actually more applicable on surface (downstream) than subsurface (upstream), I started out with an Oil field services company as a Field Engineer and today, I'm working as a Drilling Professional where I have minimal interactions with any of the 4 or options listed above, besides using my mobile phone and other mobile devices (Telecoms); my office & home computers (Power & computing); and including some sub-surface and surface gauges (instrumentation & control) when I'm completing a well.

I'm honored to be your mentor, just don't ask me too much questions about Elec/Elec Engineering o grin grin!
Bros,u neva answer me oo? Still waiting for ur rp.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 10:00am On Sep 18, 2013
primus_maximus:
personally, I think you should take all 3 factors seriously.. Its a very tricky situation you are in and its a decision no one can really make for you. A graduate from uniben is more likely to get a job before a grad from unizik (All other factors being equal) and a Chemical engineering grad is more likely to get a Job than a Petroleum engineering grad (all other factors being equal).. Companies with job openings will even come to uniben during your undergrad years. Halliburton, shell and Total will come offering you guys(Top 10 in your department) programs too during you undergad years at Uniben.. If in your shoes I'll have gone with Uniben

please do me a favor, can you show me a job advert from a reputable company (not one man company) who has "name of institution'' as a major criteria especially for a trainee or entry level, please. i want to learn from you as well thank you!!.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 10:08am On Sep 18, 2013
jp philips:

I agree with most of your post but the bold phrase needs to be fine tuned a little, in the upstream sector, there are a lot of power processes, i don't think there is a production platform, FSO, FPSO, Terminal in Nigeria that doesn't have a gas Turbine or Gas generator at the very least, please correct me if im wrong. i believe such dept do have elect guys, i like your choice of instrumentation but that lad isn't coming to the industry till the next 6 or 7yrs, so you should equally consider the future of the industry.

A lot of oil majors are divesting to gas im referring to these major projects in the industry;

Shell: AGG projects
Tepng/ENI: brass LNG projects
Chevron: EGTL projects
Exxon: AG re injection projects.

now, what are they seeing? they are seeing a future in liquified gas export and gas-power support.
i am not saying that instrumentation will die off neither am i insinuating that they wont need instrumentation engineers, i am only pointing out that there is a frame work that will create another super industry in power.
these Gas-power projects will create a lot of opportunities directly or indirectly with the oil industry. i foresee some power generating companies paying as much as the oil servicing companies, just like the telecom revolution, however, this power industry will be bigger than the telecoms industry.

great you did instrumentation, i like those guys.

As per the bold in your comment, FPSOs fall into the purview of a transition between the Upstream and Downstream sections, often referred to as midstream. Upstream essentially ends once the oil is on surface. Midstream takes over with surface storage and transport facilities. FPSOs are meant for storage, hence outside the upstream sector, but not necessarily in the downstream sector.

In layman terms, bringing crude from subsurface to surface: Upstream
At the surface, crude storage (with minimal processing to remove poisonous gasses) and raw crude transportation: Midstream
Crude processing and all refined output fall under Downstream.

I originally left out the midstream 'cos it's not as obvious as the other two.

I do see you point on the choice of specialty. However, you should take into cognizance that no gas or hydro turbine can operate without an instrumentation and control engineer. These are the guys who'll (again in simple terms) regulate and control the flow of fuel (gas or water) to your turbines. You cannot set up a hydro or gas power plant without them else there'll be disasters all over the place.

Lastly, the fact that Elec/Elec Engr'g is applicable in just about all of the sections of E&P makes the profession quite unique. You cannot be wrong if you chose to specialize in any of the fields. By the way, specialization often occur only in the final year, hence you will have the necessary basic in just about any of the specialties.

jp philips:

chief, i asked you to get in touch with HR to streamline that opinion of yours, have you done it? an MBa is not a first degree and we are talking about Nigeria not UK, do that and get back to us. the industry operate on standards and one of such that deals with structure of an organization recognized in the industry is ISO, if ISO does not stipulate that i don't see why we should form opinions based on that.
no doubt there are companies and organizations operating below standard doesn't mean that their disposition should form a benchmark for the industry.

I sighted examples in the UK not to spite Nigerian schools but to buttress my point. I'll give you another example, a certain multinational O&G Coy (they are also present in Nigeria); would always employ engineering grads (BSc Holders) from Heriot-Watt and Imperial College as international staffs straight out of school, but always place graduates (again BSc Holders) from Uni-Aberdeen and Robert-Gordon as local staffs.
You may not want to admit it, across the world and across just about every profession, the School you attend has some significant level of influence on where & when you'll secure a decent paying job. Nigeria is certainly not left out.

It's not the fault of the prospective students, it's just the fact of life we all have to live with.

An easy way to better understand my point is this: How come the multinationals don't organize job fairs in every University in Nigeria? How come there the HR departments of most of these oil giants consistently organize job fairs at specific schools in Nigeria on an annual basis?
Once you are able to get the answer to those questions you'll view the issue from my perspective.

As I stated earlier, it's not about which school, but each individual's capability. You may attend the best recognized Engineering School and still be a laggard.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by primusmaximus: 10:09am On Sep 18, 2013
jp philips:

please do me a favor, can you show me a job advert from a reputable company (not one man company) who has "name of institution'' as a major criteria, please. i want to learn from you as well.
Earlier this year Total Invited 300 people for a scholarship (IFP France) aptitude test we didn't apply for.. on getting there we asked how me were selected and their HR manager told us that they went to their database and picked 2.1 and 1st class graduates from the top universities in Nigeria.. anyone that wrote that test can verify what i just said... No company will ever publish that in an advert, its more of an HR thing, and its not only happening in the oil sector
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by primusmaximus: 10:11am On Sep 18, 2013
Really loving this discussion between jp philips and 9ijaMan... hope to be like you guys soon
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 10:25am On Sep 18, 2013
primus_maximus:
Earlier this year Total Invited 300 people for a scholarship (IFP France) aptitude test we didn't apply for.. on getting there we asked how me were selected and their HR manager told us that they went to their database and picked 2.1 and 1st class graduates from the top universities in Nigeria.. anyone that wrote that test can verify what i just said... No company will ever publish that in an advert, its more of an HR thing, and its not only happening in the oil sector

gentleman, i asked for a job advert for a trainee position not a scholarship, you can read my post again to respond accordingly, i appreciate your efforts.
if you still stand that it is a HR coded move then we can as well infer that your speculation cannot be verified.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 10:26am On Sep 18, 2013
primus_maximus:

My brother you are certainly right. No HR department will publish in the dailies that they only recruit from certain Unis and not from others. It's during the selection process that those schools they consider not to be top notch are left out.

In my final year at school some of our lecturers specifically told us that some Oil majors (names withheld) wrote them that the standards of the graduates the school was churning out from the Faculty of Tech and the department of Geology were dropping. Of course na my set our lecturers take do experiment as we went through a very crazy final year in the school. How many Unis in Nigeria do you really think these companies will send such letters to?

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 10:59am On Sep 18, 2013
author=9ijaMan]

As per the bold in your comment, FPSOs fall into the purview of a transition between the Upstream and Downstream sections, often referred to as midstream. Upstream essentially ends once the oil is on surface. Midstream takes over with surface storage and transport facilities. FPSOs are meant for storage, hence outside the upstream sector, but not necessarily in the downstream sector.

In layman terms, bringing crude from subsurface to surface: Upstream
At the surface, crude storage (with minimal processing to remove poisonous gasses) and raw crude transportation: Midstream
Crude processing and all refined output fall under Downstream.

I originally left out the midstream 'cos it's not as obvious as the other two.

I may have to correct you again though i appreciate some of your valid points,

FPSO means floating production storage offloading, from its name alone, you can deduce that it produces as much as it stores,
an example in Nigeria, is Bonga owned by shell, Akpo operated by Total. i give you specifics to enable you to verify and make corrections when i am out of line.

FSO, means floating storage offloading, it has only storage capacity examples are; exxon owned Yoho, Addax (now Sinopec) owned Knocka doom and Total owned Unity.

it is not correct to say that FPSO does not produce oil, i agree with your transition analogy but in reality they are upstream.

I do see you point on the choice of specialty. However, you should take into cognizance that no gas or hydro turbine can operate without an instrumentation and control engineer. These are the guys who'll (again in simple terms) regulate and control the flow of fuel (gas or water) to your turbines. You cannot set up a hydro or gas power plant without them else there'll be disasters all over the place.

You dont need to make the above comment if you read this part of my post

I have already agreed to that position no need over emphasizing it

Lastly, the fact that Elec/Elec Engr'g is applicable in just about all of the sections of E&P makes the profession quite unique. You cannot be wrong if you chose to specialize in any of the fields. By the way, specialization often occur only in the final year, hence you will have the necessary basic in just about any of the specialties.

I sighted examples in the UK not to spite Nigerian schools but to buttress my point. I'll give you another example, a certain multinational O&G Coy (they are also present in Nigeria); would always employ engineering grads (BSc Holders) from Heriot-Watt and Imperial College as international staffs straight out of school, but always place graduates (again BSc Holders) from Uni-Aberdeen and Robert-Gordon as local staffs.
You may not want to admit it, across the world and across just about every profession, the School you attend has some significant level of influence on where & when you'll secure a decent paying job. Nigeria is certainly not left out.

It's not the fault of the prospective students, it's just the fact of life we all have to live with.

I don't see how this post is quintessential to the subject of discussion, i like issues to be treated concisely and succinctly.

An easy way to better understand my point is this: How come the multinationals don't organize job fairs in every University in Nigeria? How come there the HR departments of most of these oil giants consistently organize job fairs at specific schools in Nigeria on an annual basis?
Once you are able to get the answer to those questions you'll view the issue from my perspective.

As I stated earlier, it's not about which school, but each individual's capability. You may attend the best recognized Engineering School and still be a laggard.

The answer is simple, most old universities have their Alumni in these organization and by virtue of their age, they have produced people at the highest level who wield a reasonable level of influence in the organization.
By law, there is what is called local content capacity, so these big ogas recommend their Alma matter for R and D outsourcing and the organization releases community project development funding and counterpart research funding.

that is why you may see a Total or chevron classroom block or Lab in University of Ibadan but may not find it in ESUT, it is basically natural, but we are emphasizing on its influence as an employment criteria.

About the HRO's going to lecture in schools, well, there is no industry guidelines that stipulates that but under community development and social awareness, a HR, may decide to do that, but there is no industry guideline on which school to go to.

in well structured organizations the recruitment process is sacrosanct (citeris paribus), such influence is inconsequential, when you hear "equal opportunity employers" i hope you know what that means.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Nobody: 11:05am On Sep 18, 2013
leatherman: i studied mechanical engineering, i'm working in a petroleum company and i'm doing the job of a chemical engineer. i sometimes work with electrical and mechanical engineers, while support the ministry of civil engineers with money.

WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THOSE THAT UNFORTUNATELY GOT IN CIVIL ENGINEERING, CAN THEY GO FOR MEK DURING MASTERS DEGREE? sad
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by primusmaximus: 11:12am On Sep 18, 2013
jp philips: author=9ijaMan]

[color=#000099]I may have to correct you again though i appreciate some of your valid points,

FPSO means floating production storage offshore, from its name alone, you can deduce that it produces as much as it stores,
an example in Nigeria, is Bonga owned by shell, Akpo operated by Total. i give you specifics to enable you to verify and make corrections when i am out of line.

FSO, means floating storage offshore, it has only storage capacity examples are; exxon owned Yoho, Addax (now Sinopec) owned Knocka doom and Total owned Unity.

it is not correct to say that FPSO does not produce oil, i agree with your transition analogy but in reality they are upstream.
Floating Production Storage and Offloading
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 11:14am On Sep 18, 2013
9ijaMan:

My brother you are certainly right. No HR department will publish in the dailies that they only recruit from certain Unis and not from others. It's during the selection process that those schools they consider not to be top notch are left out.

In my final year at school some of our lecturers specifically told us that some Oil majors (names withheld) wrote them that the standards of the graduates the school was churning out from the Faculty of Tech and the department of Geology were dropping. Of course na my set our lecturers take do experiment as we went through a very crazy final year in the school. How many Unis in Nigeria do you really think these companies will send such letters to?

Every HR, who knows his onion has a team with networks in all the universities in this country so thinking that letter is a big deal makes me laugh.
secondly, most standard companies do result and accreditation verification in schools so they already have a structure on the ground in those schools, unions like ASUU and their likes have programmes where they sell their institutions to companies and they interface with company HRs, during ASUU annual conferences take your time to note their special guests, i dont need to get personal or emotional about the subject but like i said previously, most obscure private universities may have a challenge, i formed this opinion on the Madonna vs law school saga.

beyond that i tell you that it doesn't matter at entry level.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by jpphilips(m): 11:18am On Sep 18, 2013
primus_maximus:
Floating Production Storage and Offloading

thanks, my auto correct is Nasty
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by cheapgadgets6: 11:31am On Sep 18, 2013
9ijaMan:

wow!!! U rili killd it...am well exposd nw,I'll jus sit dwn n mak ma choic frm d options(pick one I av keen interst n pass4)....first fin shld b to finsh wt gud grades nw n kip learnin frm ma IT experience for nw...can I get sm certificatns b4 I finsh sku? Cs am finkin of doin sm HSE courses mayb in ma final year and also autocad 2d n 3d or autoplant or evn a projct mgt course...OR can u recomend any I cn tk?(Consider money tins too o bro)...u r funi sayin u r honord 2b ma mentor,I shld b sayin am honord for u to accept d offer(trust me I won't bombard u wt questns...lols)tnx 1c agn..
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 1:11pm On Sep 18, 2013
cheapgadgets6: wow!!! U rili killd it...am well exposd nw,I'll jus sit dwn n mak ma choic frm d options(pick one I av keen interst n pass4)....first fin shld b to finsh wt gud grades nw n kip learnin frm ma IT experience for nw...can I get sm certificatns b4 I finsh sku? Cs am finkin of doin sm HSE courses mayb in ma final year and also autocad 2d n 3d or autoplant or evn a projct mgt course...OR can u recomend any I cn tk?(Consider money tins too o bro)...u r funi sayin u r honord 2b ma mentor,I shld b sayin am honord for u to accept d offer(trust me I won't bombard u wt questns...lols)tnx 1c agn..

Adding certification courses to your profile will surely give you an edge. You can learn AutoCAD without spending a dime, besides the cost of paying for internet connection. You are still young and very energetic, as such you can still grab a couple of certifications while in School. The option of taking a Project Management Course sounds fine to me, as long as it won't cost you an arm and a leg. However, if you need to push yourself a bit harder, ensuring it does not jeopardize your results in School, pay little attention to the cost. You'll make multiple returns once you start working. Just ensure you have a sound focus on what you really want to achieve.

As per AutoCAD, you'll learn a lot if you make good use of YouTube, there are tonnes of excellent videos there. Although I'm a drilling professional, I spend my spare time on taking management courses (for my personal business); I'm fairly good at Microsoft Excel (learnt a lot from YouTube) and I often mesmerize my colleagues and bosses using the excel skills I learnt from YouTube. Obviously I still attend drilling training courses to keep myself abreast with new developments in the industry.

Overall, any additional training you can acquire beyond what you are being taught in school will certainly be of great use for you when the time comes. I do not want to start recommending drilling (or O&G) related courses for you now because they are generally not cheap and may not be needed if you decide not to get mixed up with the sector. However any general Engineering training will do just fine.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 1:30pm On Sep 18, 2013
jp philips: author=9ijaMan]

I may have to correct you again though i appreciate some of your valid points,

FPSO means floating production storage offloading, from its name alone, you can deduce that it produces as much as it stores,

FSO, means floating storage offloading, it has only storage capacity examples are; exxon owned Yoho, Addax (now Sinopec) owned Knocka doom and Total owned Unity.

You dont need to make the above comment if you read this part of my post

[color=#000099]I have already agreed to that position no need over emphasizing it

I don't see how this post is quintessential to the subject of discussion, i like issues to be treated concisely and succinctly.

The answer is simple, most old universities have their Alumni in these organization and by virtue of their age, they have produced people at the highest level who wield a reasonable level of influence in the organization.
By law, there is what is called local content capacity, so these big ogas recommend their Alma matter for R and D outsourcing and the organization releases community project development funding and counterpart research funding.

that is why you may see a Total or chevron classroom block or Lab in University of Ibadan but may not find it in ESUT, it is basically natural, but we are emphasizing on its influence as an employment criteria.

About the HRO's going to lecture in schools, well, there is no industry guidelines that stipulates that but under community development and social awareness, a HR, may decide to do that, but there is no industry guideline on which school to go to.

in well structured organizations the recruitment process is sacrosanct (citeris paribus), such influence is inconsequential, when you hear "equal opportunity employers" i hope you know what that means.

Chief,
I didn't know this happens to be an English tutoring class. I suppose each individual has got his own way of viewing issues and we need not resort to implied insults.
In any case, FPSOs are built mainly to store crude side by side while producing and do some bit of processing. You can drill and complete an offshore well without the need for an offshore platform nor the need for an FPSO. I was part of the team that drilled a good number of the wells in the fields you mentioned (Akpo - Total, Bonga - SnepCo, Erha - Exxon and some others). I repeat, and stand very much to be corrected, FPSOs are classified under the Midstream sector of the industry. The internet is awash with the right info if you care to learn more.

On the issue of old Unis, you are essentially saying the same thing I've said all along. Perhaps you should return back and read some of my previous posts.

The reason, I'm here is simply to share experience with the up-coming ones and not to engage in a shouting match with anyone.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Capableben(m): 1:48pm On Sep 18, 2013
am realy enjoying dis. very fascinating thread. fp pls
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by 9ijaMan: 2:24pm On Sep 18, 2013
FPSOs allow some form of processing before the crude is transported out of the field, as such these have production/processing facilities installed. Once the crude is on surface, you are already out of the upstream mode. You cannot have an FPSO if the crude is not on surface for processing. On the other hand FSOs have no production facilities installed on them. These are meant for storage only. Both FPSOs and FSOs are classified as part of midstream.

The Upstream sector does not include any form of crude processing. I hope I have been able to make myself clear enough.

1 Like

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by cheapgadgets6: 2:38pm On Sep 18, 2013
9ijaMan:

Adding certification courses to your profile will surely give you an edge. You can learn AutoCAD without spending a dime, besides the cost of paying for internet connection. You are still young and very energetic, as such you can still grab a couple of certifications while in School. The option of taking a Project Management Course sounds fine to me, as long as it won't cost you an arm and a leg. However, if you need to push yourself a bit harder, ensuring it does not jeopardize your results in School, pay little attention to the cost. You'll make multiple returns once you start working. Just ensure you have a sound focus on what you really want to achieve.

As per AutoCAD, you'll learn a lot if you make good use of YouTube, there are tonnes of excellent videos there. Although I'm a drilling professional, I spend my spare time on taking management courses (for my personal business); I'm fairly good at Microsoft Excel (learnt a lot from YouTube) and I often mesmerize my colleagues and bosses using the excel skills I learnt from YouTube. Obviously I still attend drilling training courses to keep myself abreast with new developments in the industry.

Overall, any additional training you can acquire beyond what you are being taught in school will certainly be of great use for you when the time comes. I do not want to start recommending drilling (or O&G) related courses for you now because they are generally not cheap and may not be needed if you decide not to get mixed up with the sector. However any general Engineering training will do just fine.
touche....I roger dt..tnx
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by cheapgadgets6: 2:44pm On Sep 18, 2013
9ijaMan:

Chief,
I didn't know this happens to be an English tutoring class. I suppose each individual has got his own way of viewing issues and we need not resort to implied insults.
In any case, FPSOs are built mainly to store crude side by side while producing and do some bit of processing. You can drill and complete an offshore well without the need for an offshore platform nor the need for an FPSO. I was part of the team that drilled a good number of the wells in the fields you mentioned (Akpo - Total, Bonga - SnepCo, Erha - Exxon and some others). I repeat, and stand very much to be corrected, FPSOs are classified under the Midstream sector of the industry. The internet is awash with the right info if you care to learn more.

On the issue of old Unis, you are essentially saying the same thing I've said all along. Perhaps you should return back and read some of my previous posts.

The reason, I'm here is simply to share experience with the up-coming ones and not to engage in a shouting match with anyone.
yea..u guys r both hia to educate we ynga ones,I c no rison in counterin d oda person's view...jus gv your own view also,n lev us to setlin wt our choice frm d views,pls u aint competing wt each oda,jus bare ya mind,dts al.**constructive correction only**..I respct u both.Peace!

1 Like

Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by deepwater(f): 3:26pm On Sep 18, 2013
Double post
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Tats(m): 3:27pm On Sep 18, 2013
cheapgadgets6: yea..u guys r both hia to educate we ynga ones,I c no rison in counterin d oda person's view...jus gv your own view also,n lev us to setlin wt our choice frm d views,pls u aint competing wt each oda,jus bare ya mind,dts al.**constructive correction only**..I respct u both.Peace!

Bros or is it Sister?....please try to write English in a normal way. its a little difficult to read your posts.
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by cheapgadgets6: 3:38pm On Sep 18, 2013
Tats:

Bros or is it Sister?....please try to write English in a normal way. its a little difficult to read your posts.
did I hia u say difficult to rid,den u dnt send txt msgs...dey are evridae shrt frms u cm across(op u aint tryin to tackl me bro..abeg o)
Re: Chemical Engineering Vs Petroleum Engineering by Tats(m): 3:54pm On Sep 18, 2013
cheapgadgets6: did I hia u say difficult to rid,den u dnt send txt msgs...dey are evridae shrt frms u cm across(op u aint tryin to tackl me bro..abeg o)

I'm not trying to tackle you.

Well, I usually don't need to send really shortened text messages as I get unlimited text messages once I pay my monthly fee. So, I can send as many as I want. For international, I mostly make calls home and don't text that much. At most, I write You as U.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Anthony Obikwelu Invents Machine That Converts Pure Water Nylon To Fuel / 10 Departments In The University Which Girls Admire Their Guys / Man Buys N1500 Pencil In Ikoyi Lagos, Shares Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 190
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.