Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:23 AM

USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. (56614 Views)

Please Sign This Petition To Increase Nigeria's Minimum Wage. / MINIMUM WAGE: Oshiomhole Disowns Govs, Backs Workers / How Long It Takes To Earn USA Minimum Wage Around The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 5:04pm On Sep 15, 2013
manny4life:

It's easy to state they earn $10/hr but you did not include taxes (SS, State, Federal, and Medicare), the cost of living vs Nigeria are way different. Nigeria has her own problems and while Nigerian wage is low (peanut), Nigeria does have it good to a certain degree. Please don't envy $10/hr, it's NOTHING.

Name just one, JUST ONE, freaking area where that hell hole called Nigeria got it better than even a local street in Cali!

See the reason why I despise you now? Dude, is it just in u guys' genes to be unable to tell a simple truth?

3 Likes

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by anonimi: 5:08pm On Sep 15, 2013
ayobase: The state of California's minimum wage of $10 (N1,500) per hour to start by 2016. It seems it is about $8 (N1,200)at the moment.

A US citizen that works 10 hrs daily for 20 days gets approximately N300,000 ($2,000) per month!

Nigeria's is N18,500 ($123) per month. Meaning N92 ($0.6) per hour pay.

Why won't people wanna run go greener pasture.

#Im just saying ni o#

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/9/12/bill-set-to-raisecaliforniaminimumwageto10.html

The minimum $2,000/month gives 24,000/year.
Let's compare with what a city council member earns in California.

The 2,000 folks who serve on California's city councils -- fielding complaints about pot holes, and about how that new development will destroy the neighborhood's character, etc. etc. -- received more than $38.9 million in compensation for their troubles last year, according to figures from the state controller's office.

That's an average of nearly $20,000 per council member, including what the city pays toward their retirement, deferred compensation and the perk that's often more pricey than the council stipend itself -- health insurance.

That $20,000 figure does not include what councilmembers are paid for representing their cities on other boards -- such as the transportation or fire authority or vector control district boards. Those extra boards pay per-meeting, which can mean many thousands of extra dollars in the pockets of councilmembers who serve on them.

In Orange County, the most well-compensated city council folk were in Irvine, Tustin, Laguna Hills, Anaheim, Santa Ana, Buena Park and Huntington Beach. But we'll get to that in a minute.

STATEWIDE

The big-city mayors hauled in the most in 2009, with San Francisco's mayor topping the list at $283,702, followed by Oakland's mayor at $220,543, and Los Angeles's mayor at $218,342.

The best-paid city councilmembers, not surprisingly, are also in the state's biggest cities, where politics is a full-time game. In LA, councilmember comp ranged from $191,800 to $179,417; in San Diego, it ranged from $100,706 to $79,429; and in Oakland, it ranged from $93,402 to $80,894.

http://www.ocregister.com/taxdollars/strong-477790-city-council.html

Thus a minimum wage earner is about the same for the base wage for a councilmember.
If we take an rough average of their (total?) compensation (comp) at $120,000 that is 5 times the MINIMUM wage of 24,000.
In Nigeria a LGA Councillor (equivalent of US councilmember) collects N=250,000 monthly for doing almost NOTHING compared to the 18,000 minimum wage. That is almost 14 times the minimum wage. And some Nigerian graduates are even "empowered" with much less as "stipend" of 8,000.

Meanwhile the Nigerian councillor also collects monthly from simply sharing the federal allocation from Abuja's national cake aka Niger Delta oil
revenue.

Do we see where the problem is
Also partly explains why there was no massive brain drain in up to the early 1980s from Nigeria of people going into socio-economic EXILE!!!

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by pleep(m): 5:08pm On Sep 15, 2013
The minimum wage is one of the worst laws in America. If you have a basic understanding of economics you would realize that a price floor (a minimum price for a product) creates a surplus in said product. This is because they are some positions that are simply not worth 10/hour.. so employers save money by not hiring people.

This is one of the chief causes of unemployment in the united states. If we had no minimum wage some people would be working for $4, 5, 6/hour, but atleast they would have jobs, not sitting at home on welfare smoking weed and producing children.

2 Likes

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 5:09pm On Sep 15, 2013
Lamasta :
Nigeria is better than the US the reason is that Nigeria has so many opportunities that if one tap into one of them one will be richer than any rich man in Carlifornia but in the US everything has been occupied by the Govt thats why you have to pay tax there on all properties used, though we are not at per with them now but as China is growing beyond expectation so we too will grow, but until we have the right people at the right place before we enjoy this country to the fullest.

Look at the thinking of an illiterate: "I can be richer than everyone around me. I will be super rich while, everyone around me will be super poor all I need to do is just 'tap' into this one area...", abi no be so you talk? I also see that you despise paying taxes. Soooo, u think your job on earth is to accumulate as much wealth as possible without giving to Caesar's what is his?

P.S: Youre hinging ur hopes of development and progress on China's?! lmaooo U guys are freaking clowns.

2 Likes

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by pleep(m): 5:12pm On Sep 15, 2013
kingoflag:

Look at the thinking of an illiterate: "I can be richer than everyone around me. I will be super rich while, everyone around me will be super poor all I need to do is just 'tap' into this one area...", abi no be so you talk? I also see that you despise paying taxes. Soooo, u think your job on earth is to accumulate as much wealth as possible without giving to Caesar's what is his?

P.S: Youre hinging ur hopes of development and progress on China's?! lmaooo U guys are freaking clowns.
Tax is no joke... in my state we pay 10% on everything we buy, on top of social security, income tax, property tax, capital gains tax, bla bla bla bla...

Thats more than you niggas give to jesus every sunday.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 5:12pm On Sep 15, 2013
pleep: The minimum wage is one of the worst laws in America. If you have a basic understanding of economics you would realize that a price floor (a minimum price for a product) creates a surplus in said product. This is because they are some positions that are simply not worth 10/hour.. so employers save money by not hiring people.

This is one of the chief causes of unemployment in the united states. If we had no minimum wage some people would be working for $4, 5, 6/hour, but atleast they would have jobs, not sitting at home on welfare smoking weed and producing children.

What the hell is this crap you just posted?

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by MrMann1(m): 5:16pm On Sep 15, 2013
mayten30: are you sure u live in america?is either you live a low life in america or you live on the streets or na togo u dey wey u dey talk say america,800 dollars per month being saved from 10 dollars per hour?are you not paying taxes?or are u not eating or are you not living in a house?I smell big lies.
Guy, he could be offered 20$ per hour, remember 10$ is minimum pay, but he could have a better job, do some overtime at work, or have 2 jobs. Juz saying
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 5:16pm On Sep 15, 2013
pleep: Tax is no joke... in my state we pay 10% on everything we buy, on top of social security, income tax, property tax, capital gains tax, bla bla bla bla...

Thats more than you niggas give to jesus every sunday.
We get it dude, youre trying to show us you live in the States. E don do. Youve made your point. Oya, buzz off and start stating your foolishnes elsewhere, abeg, I no get time.

P.S: Im not Christian. I do not follow organized religion. And, if you dont feel like paying taxes, theres always a banana boat to hop back on: destination Africa. Either that or go to Prison like Fat Joe, Wesley Snipes and co. Notice, we dont do the "Big Man" thing out here. We will lock ur aszz up with a quickness.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by pleep(m): 5:16pm On Sep 15, 2013
kingoflag:

What the hell is this crap you just posted?
Its called economics. The point where the supply and demand curves (S, D) intersect is called the market price. The minimum wage sets the price above this level, (green line)

resulting in a surplus.

i'm sorry if this goes a little over your head.

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 5:17pm On Sep 15, 2013
pleep: The minimum wage is one of the worst laws in America. If you have a basic understanding of economics you would realize that a price floor (a minimum price for a product) creates a surplus in said product. This is because they are some positions that are simply not worth 10/hour.. so employers save money by not hiring people.

Bruv, there are Mexicans who earn as little as the bolded above. grin

Loads of mofo just exist on this planet - it's a crazy world, yo.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 5:20pm On Sep 15, 2013
pleep: Its called economics. The point where the supply and demand curves (S, D) intersect is called the market price. The minimum wage sets the price above this level, (green line)

resulting in a surplus.

i'm sorry if this goes a little over your head.

Youre a clown! A dense one for that matter. If this goes over my head?! You do realize that youre the one still not used to the concept of minimum wages and/or taxation?

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 5:21pm On Sep 15, 2013
freakyhat:

which tax? dont we have PIT in nigeria? and besides, if u v a car u spend less on mtce as against nigeria, u get electricity u pay for as against naija where u fuel ur gen and still pay phcn electricity bill u did not use. u better open ur eyes . . . compare life expectancy, then u ll knw d magic of $10/hr

Manny4life, is just a deceptive dunce. Id ignore him if I was you.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by pleep(m): 5:23pm On Sep 15, 2013
shymexx:

Bruv, there are Mexicans who earn as little as the bolded above. grin

Loads of mofo just exist on this planet - it's a crazy world, yo.
Yes indeed, speaking of which... its only because of those Mexicans working below minimum wage that we are able to enjoy cheap lettuce and tomatoes in the grocery store. grin

Which illustrates another point; if we got rid of the minimum wage the price of goods in America would fall... probably to the point where the 5 dollars/hour could actually sustain a family.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 5:24pm On Sep 15, 2013
Baybe: How can you compare Nigeria with USA? undecidedundecided

After paying taxes, you'd be left with nothing.

And in Nigeria you wont earn even a penny, to talk of paying taxes. Now tell me which is worse!

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by locust01(m): 5:24pm On Sep 15, 2013
Chinwem: Labour is cheap in Africa
As in like seriously serious labour is cheap in Africa. There is what I call co-operate slavery.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by pleep(m): 5:28pm On Sep 15, 2013
kingoflag:

And in Nigeria you wont earn even a penny, to talk of paying taxes. Now tell me which is worse!
Do you know the median net worth for a black woman in America is $5?

FIVE FUCKIN DOLLARS http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/news/us/study-finds-median-wealth-for-single-black-women-at-5-236905/

You try spending 20, 50 $60,000 dollars to go to school before you act like america is a cakewalk. I know people who have over 100,000 in student loan debt at 8% interest. America is no promised land
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by oyunoyun: 5:30pm On Sep 15, 2013
the tax is not that much, for that amount, the tax is like 8%, a student friend of my in a sch there, earns $880 per month, and after tax, is $811 and u will enjoy the dividend of the tax, unlike naija, i payed tax of 11% in a private company work in Naija, there is nothing working in naija, and that is a waste of 11%, if one earns that kind of money in US, and come back to spend it in naija, it is 160 more better values!!!!!!
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 5:33pm On Sep 15, 2013
pleep: Yes indeed, speaking of which... its only because of those Mexicans working below minimum wage that we are able to enjoy cheap lettuce and tomatoes in the grocery store. grin

Which illustrates another point; if we got rid of the minimum wage the price of goods in America would fall... probably to the point where the 5 dollars/hour could actually sustain a family.

I don't think dropping the minimum wage would have a bearing on the price of goods, since in the west, the government isn't really an employer of labour. Things that affect the price of goods are: taxes, cost of transportation and other miscellaneous things. So getting rid of the minimum wage won't stop the government from increasing taxes, cost of transportation and other things.

Personally, I think the problem lies with extreme capitalism because the society is for the rich and rich alone. The poor are just there to complete the hierarchical structure and serve the rich.

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by pleep(m): 5:34pm On Sep 15, 2013
locust01: As in like seriously serious labour is cheap in Africa. There is what I call co-operate slavery.
That is a good thing. When wages go up in china, they will start outsourcing jobs to africa! grin

Low wage = high employment.. this is how china became a superpower, by stealing jobs from America. Now its our turn

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 5:37pm On Sep 15, 2013
Arsenate: If you are honest with yourself, you would know that one can live on 500naira (about 3 dollars) per day (15000 naira per month) in almost all Nigerian towns. I strongly doubt if one can survive with 3 dollars per day in the most American cities.
Not that I'm saying we can't do better but your thread reeks of insincerity.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by MrMann1(m): 5:37pm On Sep 15, 2013
iyobs7: Wait and someone is even talking about house rent compared to USA
Lets say u receive 18k monthly in Nigeria and that amounts to 216000 per annum and
at the end of the day u get urself a NICE 2-3 bedroom flat in Benin city which is about 120k in Abuja self contain u go see for about 150-200k and u are here talking about house rent is expensive in America abeg make una dey talk well abeg...
I hate hypocrites and those living in california or USA or abroad that is complaining, please come back home biko angry angry angry
True yarns bro, production companies yapa, jobs plenty.
Why would a naija over there be complaining, when americans are lazy to work, it makes work plenty for you, na ur money dey pile up every hour nah.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by MrMann1(m): 5:41pm On Sep 15, 2013
adconline:
Delusion of Grandeur. If $5000 is small change for most Naija in US, how much do most bankers in Naija earn? 5k a month=$60k/yr=N10,000,000.00. How many Nigerians in Naija earn up to $18k/N3m/yr? Compare a Naija with a BS in US who is gainfully employed with a Naija in Naija with same qualification. From engineers to doctors, the pay is abysmal.
Now back to minimum wage, compare a gate man's pay of N18k with a security officer's pay in the US $7.25/hr. Sexurity officer has a car, a house, TV, fridge. Compare rents in Lekki to Rents in NYC. Compare Naija best with Yankee's best and Naija worst ro Yankee's worst!
Nice one joor, yankee's worst na naija best. Gbam!

2 Likes

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by pleep(m): 5:41pm On Sep 15, 2013
shymexx:

I don't think dropping the minimum wage would have a bearing on the price of goods, since in the west, the government isn't really an employer of labour. Things that affect the price of goods are: taxes, cost of transportation and other miscellaneous things. So getting rid of the minimum wage won't stop the government from increasing taxes, cost of transportation and other things.

Personally, I think the problem lies with extreme capitalism because the society is for the rich and rich alone. The poor are just there to complete the hierarchical structure and serve the rich.
Dude, economic theory has to be analyzed "ceteris paribus" All things constant. Assuming no other variables change, eliminating the minimum wage will almost certainly decrease the cost of living in America. This is for 2 main reasons:

1. The cost of producing products would go down. This is because of the decrease in wages expense for manufacturers

2. The price elasticity (price consumers are willing and able to pay) would become more rigid, simply because people would have less money to spend.... and so producers would be further incentivized to lower their prices.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by oyunoyun: 5:43pm On Sep 15, 2013
manny4life:

It's easy to state they earn $10/hr but you did not include taxes (SS, State, Federal, and Medicare), the cost of living vs Nigeria are way different. Nigeria has her own problems and while Nigerian wage is low (peanut), Nigeria does have it good to a certain degree. Please don't envy $10/hr, it's NOTHING.

the tax is not that much, for that amount, the tax is like 8%, a student friend of my in a sch there, earns $880 per month, and after tax, is $811 and u will enjoy the dividend of the tax, unlike naija, i payed tax of 11% in a private company work in Naija, there is nothing working in naija, and that is a waste of 11%, if one earns that kind of money in US, and come back to spend it in naija, it is 160 more better values!!!!!!
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by wonderfulson: 5:49pm On Sep 15, 2013
The nominal value of $10per hour is nothing compared to the real value.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by MrMann1(m): 5:52pm On Sep 15, 2013
pappilo:

I earned £7/hr in England for 2 years working in a call centre and guess what? I bought my first car and flat (joint mortgage with missus) from my salary. I made about £1100 after taxes and after paying rent in a flatshare, Travelcard, bills, food, entertainment. I had about £400 left over. I had a second partime job as a match day steward at a London football club and that gave me an extra £200 or so. I lived well comfortably.

I dont know what N18,000 can do for anyone in Naija. My mum has employees earning N20,000 per month and they are wretched. After transport and food, I doubt they can afford to rent more than a room in a rundown face me I face you building in the worst part of town.

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 6:00pm On Sep 15, 2013
pleep: Dude, economic theory has to be analyzed "ceteris paribus" All things constant. Assuming no other variables change, eliminating the minimum wage will almost certainly decrease the cost of living in America. This is for 2 main reasons:

1. The cost of producing products would go down. This is because of the decrease in wages expense for manufacturers

2. The price elasticity (price consumers are willing and able to pay) would become more rigid, simply because people would have less money to spend.... and so producers would be further incentivized to lower their prices.

@ the bolded is where the problem lies. And since the manufacturers/companies have no say in government policies and, in that system of government - the government is run like a corporation to maximise its profits. Then it's going be the same vicious cycle.

Minimum wage isn't really a bad thing since it's like an equilibrium constant. However, it's just too low compared to the cost of living.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by ceejayluv(m): 6:02pm On Sep 15, 2013
innokings: no place like home broda and sister. right now am South Africa de cost living here is very high, am workin here do u knw much dey pay me month is 1200ran dat's 24000 bt do u knw de funny thins here, my house rent will eat de whole money every month which cost me 750ran dat's 15000naira now tell me hw much is saves after eatin nthing, pls dia's no place like home.
We dey talk of Yankee here,,not Kwazulu natal...
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by ziccoit: 6:07pm On Sep 15, 2013
0lumide: I'll say this. I can feed my self with 250 naira per day in Nigeria. that is $1.50 That shit can't feed an insect in UK, Canada or US or any European country sef.

So why the comparison?

I opened a small time business in NY after school. I had access to some native fishermen who supply sea food to me at a very low cost. I was running this business and making some bucks until some Jewish mobsters bullied me into selling my business. I still get 10% but that's peanuts compared to what I get when i was managing my own business. The native fishermen stopped supplying to the mega company because they said it's against their native laws to desecrate their waters to earn money. Hence why they were only supplying small timers like me. The Jewish community is buying up majority of small businesses in NYC and the world will call that what? Just a hint of what's going on over there.

I came back to Nigeria feeling broken for two months. After two months, I found another trade that pays way better. I calculated my expenses in US (I'm still a bachelor) and Nigeria, I figured apart from the everyday hassle Nigeria has because of lack of infrastructures, Nigeria is way more affordable and enjoyable than the US.

Even though we have bad government, the people are making it work for themselves very well.

My friend Obinna in the US is also planning on removing his ties with the US, he was born and raised there. Used to be scared of Nigeria until I showed him how well Nigerians are doing as fresh graduates with ideas not job seekers. US is a nation where government decides national interest and the government is tooo damn powerful even to Americans. Nigerians going to the US, unless you can't get loan to start up in Nigeria, you can go there to hustle for a year or two, your main goal should be establishing in Nigeria.

No Nigerian born of woman can come and tell me to sell him or her my source of livelihood in my Lasgidi. We go die there!!!!!!!!!!! Use all your government might in 9ja, I will get support from Oba of Lagos as a sure boi and even get my area bois to disturb you. grin grin grin Just kidding but seriously no one in 9ja wants to forcefully buy businesses.

Before reading your comment:
Come home and I bet you can not live on 2500 Naira per day. Except if you drop from planet pluto and you don't get family to feed.

After reading:
Are you still "boboing" us that u are living on N250?

2 Likes

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Originalsly: 6:08pm On Sep 15, 2013
Ha!....if you really want to compare....calculate in percentage....at the end of the month after all expenses...what percentage of your salary is left? ...if any.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Kayforly(m): 6:09pm On Sep 15, 2013
naija for lyf........................i love naija.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by biomedixexcel(m): 6:12pm On Sep 15, 2013
You can't compare an American working in his country and receiving $10/hour to Nigerian working here with meagre #18500 per month! Let's use are brain. Kaki no be leather

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply)

"We Are Not Lazy" Billboard In Akwa Ibom Over Buhari’s Statement In London. Pics / 4-Million-Man March In Lagos: Obidients Are Ready (Photos) / Oil Price Collapses To $11 Per Barrel Amid Covid-19 Pandemic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.