Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,228 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. (56592 Views)

Please Sign This Petition To Increase Nigeria's Minimum Wage. / MINIMUM WAGE: Oshiomhole Disowns Govs, Backs Workers / How Long It Takes To Earn USA Minimum Wage Around The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by jpphilips(m): 3:55pm On Sep 15, 2013
segcy.moor:

Me
Loser? Over what ...anyway I won't blame you because you don't know who you addressing

lolzzzzzzz
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by freakyhat: 3:56pm On Sep 15, 2013
manny4life:

It's easy to state they earn $10/hr but you did not include taxes (SS, State, Federal, and Medicare), the cost of living vs Nigeria are way different. Nigeria has her own problems and while Nigerian wage is low (peanut), Nigeria does have it good to a certain degree. Please don't envy $10/hr, it's NOTHING.

which tax? dont we have PIT in nigeria? and besides, if u v a car u spend less on mtce as against nigeria, u get electricity u pay for as against naija where u fuel ur gen and still pay phcn electricity bill u did not use. u better open ur eyes . . . compare life expectancy, then u ll knw d magic of $10/hr

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by MrMann1(m): 3:59pm On Sep 15, 2013
Idi Amin: I guess Op is not in the US. House rent in Los Angeles is $1200 per month as against maybe 300k per year in Naija. America is good if you have a dependable wife which 99% of Nigerians here don't have. Also one can have two jobs anyway unlike in Naija where one works for 8hours and waste the other 16hrs drinking beer. One can as well develop himself educationally because of school financial aids by govt. Generally, America is good if you plan your stay very well.
You mean house rent that comes in ready to use bed, fridge, home phone, air condition, washing machine, WATER, heater and nice stuffs, well painted..... If you are hardworking in USA, you will get an apartment for yourself or pair up with good and understanding people. Guy AMERICA beat naija flat...
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 4:02pm On Sep 15, 2013
Baybe: How can you compare Nigeria with USA? undecidedundecided

After paying taxes, you'd be left with nothing.
Bro, If USA give you visa today, talk true if you no go sell your papa land run comot. I know it's not easy anywhere in the world but comparing life in Nigeria to life in America is madness undecided
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by jpphilips(m): 4:06pm On Sep 15, 2013
eluquenson:

Pls do your statistics well, ask of the cost of a 2bed flat in surulere & give us a feedback, its like you are staying in a face me I slap you, where you pay 10,000naira a month for room & parlour, that means you live in a slum like I said, cos in major lagos city you get a 2bed-flat for 350k per annum so do your mathematics well.
May be you are still under your parent.
tongue

you are right, dat guy hasn't paid house rent in his life.

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by IJI777: 4:09pm On Sep 15, 2013
Naija minimum wage is too poor. Private schl owners pay graduates just,when it's meant 4 1st schl leaving cert
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by NaLaugh: 4:11pm On Sep 15, 2013
taiocol: $2000 is aChicken change, that money cant feed me 4 3hrs.

Haha.. Naija peops are some major mouth-runners though.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by MrMann1(m): 4:13pm On Sep 15, 2013
adconline: Ignorant Mofos talking as if 18k is going to feed someone in a month and pay rent. It's blind patriotism that has destroyed Naija. A country like Venezuela with similar oil status pays over 62K in a month. Now, senators who earn more the US president want remove wage law from federal law; leaving governors to determine how much to pay workers.
Can we pay like Venezuela, Quatar, Saudi Arabia, Iran and Iraq?
Na ur talk I feel since, BLIND PATRIOTISM, like e go better, proudly 9ja, mtchew... I have a friend in Qatar, He has been there within a year and already comfortable with a good job, he wasn't a graduate when he left here and yet he got a job a graduate find so hard to get here. He changed jobs easily, now he is a safety engineer that gat trained on the job with good pay.
People will be happy to pay tax when govt can give them social amenities: JOBS, quality education, water, steady power supply... E go better!

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by ziccoit: 4:15pm On Sep 15, 2013
Your per hour work in Nigeria worths more than $10 yet you get $0.6!

With $10/hr in America you can rent a good house, eat good food and have access to every good things of life within a reasonable limit. Are these apply in Nigeria?

Thinking that @OP is totally wrong is being stupidly patriotic.

Nigerians certainly deserve the hardships they are subjected to by their rulers.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by ziccoit: 4:16pm On Sep 15, 2013
Your per hour work in Nigeria worths more than $10 yet you get $0.6!

With $10/hr in America you can rent a good house, eat good food and have access to every good things of life within a reasonable limit. Are these apply in Nigeria?

Thinking that @OP is totally wrong is being stupidly patriotic.

Nigerians certainly deserve the hardships they are subjected to by their rulers.

2 Likes

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by MrMann1(m): 4:18pm On Sep 15, 2013
taiocol: is dangote reacher than i am.
YES! He's richer than your FATHER!
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Layolaw(f): 4:19pm On Sep 15, 2013
either Nigeria or USA, the best thing is to eat the fruit of our labour
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by MrMann1(m): 4:20pm On Sep 15, 2013
ajalaolanr: There's tax returns for every American by dec of every year, this also includes money paid to the children under 18, yes they pay a lot of tax but, they see the impact of their taxes, food is so cheap, you can feed a whole house less than 100 dollars a month and this is having good food...I can go on..
You're damn right, wake up check ur mail, and voila your govt gave you a certain percent of all the tax u paid.... Can it EVER EVER happen in naija Huh, I beg your pardon
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by gnykelly(m): 4:21pm On Sep 15, 2013
great patriot. Do all the math about cost of living and expenses. What about savings. Saving just $100 of the $2000 a month for 5yr equal $6000=960000naira. Now exclude ur expenses from N18000. Tell me what is left. Nigeria work best for those with high income not the million of masses that earn peanut. If i'm granted visa today i will delightly take the next available flight.

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Pasca07: 4:21pm On Sep 15, 2013
Hmmmm i have been reading lots of comments here,which makes me laugh.its is only a fool will praise nigeria minimum wage compare to usa,even some naija graduates don't earn upto 18000k per month let alone having a decent living which poor americans are enjoying.It is only a fool dat will compare a whole USA with dat useless country called nigeria.......
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by infolekan(m): 4:28pm On Sep 15, 2013
Lots of blind patriotism on this thread.
In Nigeria...people that warn 18000 don't pay rent and provide for basic essentials.
That lady sweeping the road that earns 18000 probably depends on her husband for support and lives in the "family house " with 16 other couples.
Life expectancy is different for both countries and you'll mist likely get a fast, effective and prompt health care delivery over there than here. Nigeria life expectancy is still at 49 and you're comparing standard of living there to US at 71?
Minimum wage is minimum wage anywhere and won't take anyone home..... the basics such as electricity, security, food are easily accessible(at a cost) there than here.
Accommodation in LA is very high and so also is Laos but the quality of life aren't the same.......a man is twice as likely to die because he's rich in Nigeria than in US(and that's my own conservative personal statistics).
With the insane amount of money spent on individual security and fuel for generator and transportation and HEALTH...its no surprise that Nigeria is a developing country and the US is not hut the problem starts when people think you pick the money from trees there.
You work for each penny you earn there and the lower you're on the ladder...the worse it is for you. there's no such lander in Nigeria and what the average Nigerian calls living is just a form of suffering and horror that no human should go through.

2 Likes

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by MrMann1(m): 4:28pm On Sep 15, 2013
9jadelta: but u can ask or government to give u all that right? if American citizens run away to another country that have electricity and good roads when their country was still bad, who would have built the country that u want to run to today?
The politicians are there to build the country, join them while I live my life in yankee, shebi na my life, at least I serve naija for one year NYSC
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by addictiv(m): 4:29pm On Sep 15, 2013
Arsenate: If you are honest with yourself, you would know that one can live on 500naira (about 3 dollars) per day (15000 naira per month) in almost all Nigerian towns. I strongly doubt if one can survive with 3 dollars per day in the most American cities.
Not that I'm saying we can't do better but your thread reeks of insincerity.
is this really possible....people de try o..
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by awolols(m): 4:35pm On Sep 15, 2013
Did u take time to compare prices of goods and services?
Baseless comparison
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by innokings: 4:35pm On Sep 15, 2013
no place like home broda and sister. right now am South Africa de cost living here is very high, am workin here do u knw much dey pay me month is 1200ran dat's 24000 bt do u knw de funny thins here, my house rent will eat de whole money every month which cost me 750ran dat's 15000naira now tell me hw much is saves after eatin nthing, pls dia's no place like home.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Pasca07: 4:39pm On Sep 15, 2013
Imagine some fools defending dis useless country can a family man live on 18000 naira per month with kids and have three solid square meal?and have a meaniful life?u all talking about tax in usa pls try and come to naija and see how ppl are suffering.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Pasca07: 4:43pm On Sep 15, 2013
Innoking pls stop comparing SA with usa the difference is clear
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Lamasta(m): 4:48pm On Sep 15, 2013
Nigeria is better than the US the reason is that Nigeria has so many opportunities that if one tap into one of them one will be richer than any rich man in Carlifornia but in the US everything has been occupied by the Govt thats why you have to pay tax there on all properties used, though we are not at per with them now but as China is growing beyond expectation so we too will grow, but until we have the right people at the right place before we enjoy this country to the fullest.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by MrMann1(m): 4:48pm On Sep 15, 2013
Baybe: They use the taxes gotten from rich men to take care of the poor.

That's why I envy them other than that, the cost of living over there is ridiculously high
I prefer to live in a place I can hustle 2 jobs, work overtime and still enjoy good food and social amenities. I CARELESS if the standard of living is high. Is the standard of living in Nigeria not high? Yet you pay tax and the jagabans share your tax amongst themselves and you say e go better. Sorry o!
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 4:55pm On Sep 15, 2013
Arsenate: If you are honest with yourself, you would know that one can live on 500naira (about 3 dollars) per day (15000 naira per month) in almost all Nigerian towns. I strongly doubt if one can survive with 3 dollars per day in the most American cities.
Not that I'm saying we can't do better but your thread reeks of insincerity.
hmmmm;i don't tink people in a plaace lyk aby can survive with 500 naira a day...
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 4:57pm On Sep 15, 2013
Idi Amin: Bro, If USA give you visa today, talk true if you no go sell your papa land run comot. I know it's not easy anywhere in the world but comparing life in Nigeria to life in America is madness undecided
Who is bro? undecidedundecidedundecided
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 4:58pm On Sep 15, 2013
Mr. Mann:

I prefer to live in a place I can hustle 2 jobs, work overtime and still enjoy good food and social amenities. I CARELESS if the standard of living is high. Is the standard of living in Nigeria not high? Yet you pay tax and the jagabans share your tax amongst themselves and you say e go better. Sorry o!
Okay undecided
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by usewisdom: 5:01pm On Sep 15, 2013
ayobase: The state of California's minimum wage of $10 (N1,500) per hour to start by 2016. It seems it is about $8 (N1,200)at the moment.

A US citizen that works 10 hrs daily for 20 days gets approximately N300,000 ($2,000) per month!

Nigeria's is N18,500 ($123) per month. Meaning N92 ($0.6) per hour pay.

Why won't people wanna run go greener pasture.

#Im just saying ni o#

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/9/12/bill-set-to-raisecaliforniaminimumwageto10.html

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 5:02pm On Sep 15, 2013
manny4life:

It's easy to state they earn $10/hr but you did not include taxes (SS, State, Federal, and Medicare), the cost of living vs Nigeria are way different. Nigeria has her own problems and while Nigerian wage is low (peanut), Nigeria does have it good to a certain degree. Please don't envy $10/hr, it's NOTHING.

So move back to Africa and enjoy $0.06/hr u ungrateful Homo SOB!
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by MrMann1(m): 5:02pm On Sep 15, 2013
omibia: After all said and done, some of us still manage to save close to $800 per month even while receiving $10/hr (your so called minimum wage). I wonder if some of you who claim to be living good over there can afford to save that at the end of the month. Anyway, continue leaving in 9ja because we ain't complaning here.
Lol, naija guys wey dey america no dey complain, cos dem be naija, they work, they save. Weldone bro. Me go join u very very soon.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 5:03pm On Sep 15, 2013
I'll say this. I can feed my self with 250 naira per day in Nigeria. that is $1.50 That shit can't feed an insect in UK, Canada or US or any European country sef.

So why the comparison?

I opened a small time business in NY after school. I had access to some native fishermen who supply sea food to me at a very low cost. I was running this business and making some bucks until some Jewish mobsters bullied me into selling my business. I still get 10% but that's peanuts compared to what I get when i was managing my own business. The native fishermen stopped supplying to the mega company because they said it's against their native laws to desecrate their waters to earn money. Hence why they were only supplying small timers like me. The Jewish community is buying up majority of small businesses in NYC and the world will call that what? Just a hint of what's going on over there.

I came back to Nigeria feeling broken for two months. After two months, I found another trade that pays way better. I calculated my expenses in US (I'm still a bachelor) and Nigeria, I figured apart from the everyday hassle Nigeria has because of lack of infrastructures, Nigeria is way more affordable and enjoyable than the US.

Even though we have bad government, the people are making it work for themselves very well.

My friend Obinna in the US is also planning on removing his ties with the US, he was born and raised there. Used to be scared of Nigeria until I showed him how well Nigerians are doing as fresh graduates with ideas not job seekers. US is a nation where government decides national interest and the government is tooo damn powerful even to Americans. Nigerians going to the US, unless you can't get loan to start up in Nigeria, you can go there to hustle for a year or two, your main goal should be establishing in Nigeria.

No Nigerian born of woman can come and tell me to sell him or her my source of livelihood in my Lasgidi. We go die there!!!!!!!!!!! Use all your government might in 9ja, I will get support from Oba of Lagos as a sure boi and even get my area bois to disturb you. grin grin grin Just kidding but seriously no one in 9ja wants to forcefully buy businesses.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply)

Vote For Buhari To Return Power To South-west In 2023 – Fashola / Abdulkadir Kure Son, Umar Sues Mother, Siblings Over Late Father’s Property / Muhammadu Buhari And Goodluck Jonathan Curriculum Vitae

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.