Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,034 members, 7,821,573 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:12 PM

USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. (56610 Views)

Please Sign This Petition To Increase Nigeria's Minimum Wage. / MINIMUM WAGE: Oshiomhole Disowns Govs, Backs Workers / How Long It Takes To Earn USA Minimum Wage Around The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 6:12pm On Sep 15, 2013
pleep: Do you know the median net worth for a black woman in America is $5?

FIVE FUCKIN DOLLARS http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/news/us/study-finds-median-wealth-for-single-black-women-at-5-236905/

You try spending 20, 50 $60,000 dollars to go to school before you act like america is a cakewalk. I know people who have over 100,000 in student loan debt at 8% interest. America is no promised land

Dude, do you want us to go to our vital Statistics office and search each others records because I really dont know what the hell you think ure trying to teach me?
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by ballabriggs: 6:13pm On Sep 15, 2013
pleep: The minimum wage is one of the worst laws in America. If you have a basic understanding of economics you would realize that a price floor (a minimum price for a product) creates a surplus in said product. This is because they are some positions that are simply not worth 10/hour.. so employers save money by not hiring people.

This is one of the chief causes of unemployment in the united states. If we had no minimum wage some people would be working for $4, 5, 6/hour, but atleast they would have jobs, not sitting at home on welfare smoking weed and producing children.

Waoh this is a very interesting argument and perspective. Impressive, I will have to read more about this.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Kayforly(m): 6:14pm On Sep 15, 2013
i love naija.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by dheaven: 6:16pm On Sep 15, 2013
Nigeria is better than India in terms of cash
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by pleep(m): 6:22pm On Sep 15, 2013
shymexx:

@ the bolded is where the problem lies. And since the manufacturers/companies have no say in government policies and, in that system of government - the government is run like a corporation to maximise its profits. Then it's going be the same vicious cycle.

Minimum wage isn't really a bad thing since it's like an equilibrium constant. However, it's just too low compared to the cost of living.
haha your acting like America is not a democracy

We have a trillion dollar deficit, and Obama still cannot gather support to increase tax on the wealthy. Contrary to what you believe corporate interests are extreamly strong in the American government, and at the end of the day every politician is trying to get re-elected.

Trust me there is a 0 percent chance of tax increases in the near future, especially not after a recession.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by pleep(m): 6:23pm On Sep 15, 2013
ballabriggs:

Waoh this is a very interesting argument and perspective. Impressive, I will have to read more about this.
Thanks mate wink
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Lebee4(m): 6:28pm On Sep 15, 2013
atlwireles: This's how you send yourselves to the land of suffering. Find out, what kind of life you live in California with $10/hr job.

hw do you mean?
Most Nigerians work more than 10hrs without being paid overtime and later end up in a terrible traffick jam like the one along Aba road in Ph everyday which will not happen in Cali.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Okeikpu(m): 6:30pm On Sep 15, 2013
manny4life:

It's easy to state they earn $10/hr but you did not include taxes (SS, State, Federal, and Medicare), the cost of living vs Nigeria are way different. Nigeria has her own problems and while Nigerian wage is low (peanut), Nigeria does have it good to a certain degree. Please don't envy $10/hr, it's NOTHING.
oboy na malaria fever hold u sooo grin
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Legendbaba1(m): 6:32pm On Sep 15, 2013
pls let say d trust usa is ok by me and u naija gov is a big Bleep
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Legendbaba1(m): 6:33pm On Sep 15, 2013
pls let say d trust usa is ok by me and u naija gov is a big Bleep if d visa is given 2 me a de goooo
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Godogwu: 6:33pm On Sep 15, 2013
fact is that the person in Nigeria earning $2000 a month is living way better than his/her counterpart in the US.....
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by BlueMagic2(m): 6:34pm On Sep 15, 2013
I honestly can say its going to be hard to live on $10/hr in california because its a really expensive state to live in bt u can get by in some less expensive states. $10/hr covers ur health insurance, car insurance & other bills bt at the end of the day u still get by somehow. At the same time everyone is trying to better themselves than be stuck at $10/hr job. That being said I recently came back to Nigeria & was amazed at how expensive things cost in Nigeria. It actually cost more to live in Nigeria than in U.S. So how can some1 survive on #18,500 per month. That is just absurd.

2 Likes

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by hallengray(m): 6:35pm On Sep 15, 2013
manny4life:

It's easy to state they earn $10/hr but you did not include taxes (SS, State, Federal, and Medicare), the cost of living vs Nigeria are way different. Nigeria has her own problems and while Nigerian wage is low (peanut), Nigeria does have it good to a certain degree. Please don't envy $10/hr, it's NOTHING.
Don't we have to go to the hospital too? Cost of petrol for generator, house rent, bribe u pay to go further in life. My brother! The list continues....
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by trolling(m): 6:39pm On Sep 15, 2013
larger_20:

I live in California and trust me when i say you don't want to live for 10/hr here.......California is just too expensive.....to live in a comfortable apartment here, you need to pay about 1200/month and that does not include heat/gas/electricity. California car insurance and fuel is one of the highest in the country. It cost about $4.2 per gallon to fill up your gas tank here, now compare that with Nigeria...

California rich vs poor income gap is too wide but mostly because majority of the poor Californians has defaulted to government support..

but why Cali,its cheaper to live in the south, i reside in Georgia,if you live within your means with minimum wage making 40 hours a week you'll be straight.

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by pleep(m): 6:40pm On Sep 15, 2013
kingoflag:

Dude, do you want us to go to our vital Statistics office and search each others records because I really dont know what the hell you think ure trying to teach me?
lol what?

What i'm saying is that the minimum wage is not a good law, and it has not created prosperity.

Any benefits it has created has been defrayed by increased unemployment, increased cost of goods, increased taxation to pay for wallfare programs... and increase idleness that leads to crime trapping people in a cycle of poverty.

The standard of living Americans enjoy is because of one thing: debt. Without debt we wouldn't be able to go to college, buy cars, buy houses etc etc.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Okeikpu(m): 6:42pm On Sep 15, 2013
Baybe: How can you compare Nigeria with USA? undecidedundecided

After paying taxes, you'd be left with nothing.
see pple wey never cross seme boda...follow dey comment too.. sad

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by trolling(m): 6:52pm On Sep 15, 2013
i'd rather be making minimum wage,live comfortably with all basic amenities at my reach than live in that shithole of a country, you guys should keep fooling yourself with i'd rather be in niger(dark) area called Nigeria than in America,we know you are saying that to console your misery,i can understand kpele,and who told you people dont save after taxes, AA's might not save but we foreigners save
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by GAR3TH(m): 6:55pm On Sep 15, 2013
Why do I keep getting the impression that Nigerians are just a bunch of lazy welfare sucking, tax evaders. Really It doesn't take an ounce of brain cells to know that $10 minimum wage in the USA is light years better the minimum wage in Nigeria.

People here are giving excuses saying tax will chop most of the money. Okay then lets add tax to the minimum wage. California has a scale-able income tax so with our $10/hr we will be taxed 2% of our income. in other words we will now earn $9.80/hr That is still more than nigeria's minimum wage. ontop of that you get great roads, schools, infrastructure, electricity, security, various job opportunities, reliable healthcare, financial opportunities etc. If you live on a minimum wage salary in Nigeria ($00.60/hr) what do you get, apart from tax evasion absolutely nothing.

But noooooo according to nigerians $0.60/hr is better than $10/hr because you dont pay tax, really?!? what type of dumb logic of reasoning is that. Also the cost of living in the Usa is about the same as Nigeria (actually a little bit lower) so you have no excuse to say Nigeria is better than the USA. Blind patriotism is what got us into this current state of suffering and smiling.

Cost of living
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/rankings_by_country.jsp

California tax rates
http://www.tax-brackets.org/californiataxtable

3 Likes

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 7:03pm On Sep 15, 2013
pleep: haha your acting like America is not a democracy

We have a trillion dollar deficit, and Obama still cannot gather support to increase tax on the wealthy. Contrary to what you believe corporate interests are extreamly strong in the American government, and at the end of the day every politician is trying to get re-elected.

Trust me there is a 0 percent chance of tax increases in the near future, especially not after a recession.

Regardless, I doubt the labour unions would even allow that. Minimum wage as it's, is too meagre vis-a-vis the cost of living and I doubt a government that's already running on a deficit would want a fixed variable for other things it can continually maximise its profits on. The US government as it is, is like a corporation. Sourcing cheap labour from other places seems to fine with them and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Anyway, let's leave naija folks to debate the minimum in their country vis-a-vis the yank's.

And TouchDown Riley Cooper - leggo Eagles!!!!! grin

I'm out!
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by redsun(m): 7:03pm On Sep 15, 2013
It doesn't matter where you live,america or nigeria if you are working for somebody,you will never have enough to get by.

There are more opportunities to explode financially with ease in nigeria as virgin land,but you have to take the pain to condescend very low,be sometimes irrational and take on the irrational system in nigeria.It is hard but could be done.

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Zikdik(m): 7:03pm On Sep 15, 2013
taiocol: $2000 is aChicken change, that money cant feed me 4 3hrs.
Talk is cheap.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by MrMann1(m): 7:22pm On Sep 15, 2013
Okeikpu: see pple wey never cross seme boda...follow dey comment too.. sad
grin
Okeikpu: see pple wey never cross seme boda...follow dey comment too.. sad
grin , which border you don cross, grin
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by EMERITUS1(m): 7:22pm On Sep 15, 2013
what are u guys saying even my cousin that is working as a gateman in us is richer than the one working in a bank here, just school abroad for an msc program and marry an oyinbo, your life go change se, olx.com
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by rhames(m): 7:23pm On Sep 15, 2013
have u factored in the current tax rate at 56% of Gross income,Rents at $500 average,Gas & Electricity $800 and your own running costs? Greener pastures indeed.You better sit down and work hard and make cool money here before some dum dum deceives u.Who is living on minimum wage alone in Nigeria. Good luck.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Godogwu: 7:30pm On Sep 15, 2013
Blue Magic: I honestly can say its going to be hard to live on $10/hr in california because its a really expensive state to live in bt u can get by in some less expensive states. $10/hr covers ur health insurance, car insurance & other bills bt at the end of the day u still get by somehow. At the same time everyone is trying to better themselves than be stuck at $10/hr job. That being said I recently came back to Nigeria & was amazed at how expensive things cost in Nigeria. It actually cost more to live in Nigeria than in U.S. So how can some1 survive on #18,500 per month. That is just absurd.

it costs more to live in Nigeria than the US? c'mon man, are you even alright?. I'm a student here and my housing alone cost $650 a month (without gas, electricity and all) and its a two-bedroom apt. In every year i'd spend about $7800 (N1.2m) or more on just housing; i could rent a bigger house/apt in lekki, GRA or wuse for that amount.

10 bucks and hr is relatively useless in the us...you are freaking poor!
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by ayobase(m): 7:32pm On Sep 15, 2013
yinkard4me: are u living in igbo irunmole?

U gat my ribs cracked!
grin
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Godogwu: 7:33pm On Sep 15, 2013
GAR3TH: Why do I keep getting the impression that Nigerians are just a bunch of lazy welfare sucking, tax evaders. Really It doesn't take an ounce of brain cells to know that $10 minimum wage in the USA is light years better the minimum wage in Nigeria.

People here are giving excuses saying tax will chop most of the money. Okay then lets add tax to the minimum wage. California has a scale-able income tax so with our $10/hr we will be taxed 2% of our income. in other words we will now earn $9.80/hr That is still more than nigeria's minimum wage. ontop of that you get great roads, schools, infrastructure, electricity, security, various job opportunities, reliable healthcare, financial opportunities etc. If you live on a minimum wage salary in Nigeria ($00.60/hr) what do you get, apart from tax evasion absolutely nothing.

But noooooo according to nigerians $0.60/hr is better than $10/hr because you dont pay tax, really?!? what type of dumb logic of reasoning is that. Also the cost of living in the Usa is about the same as Nigeria (actually a little bit lower) so you have no excuse to say Nigeria is better than the USA. Blind patriotism is what got us into this current state of suffering and smiling.

Cost of living
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/rankings_by_country.jsp

California tax rates
http://www.tax-brackets.org/californiataxtable

the cost of living in Nigeria is way less man, and frankly i'd rather earn 10bucks an hour in Nigeria than Earn that in the Us.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by ifebosco: 7:39pm On Sep 15, 2013
pleep: The minimum wage is one of the worst laws in America. If you have a basic understanding of economics you would realize that a price floor (a minimum price for a product) creates a surplus in said product. This is because they are some positions that are simply not worth 10/hour.. so employers save money by not hiring people.

This is one of the chief causes of unemployment in the united states. If we had no minimum wage some people would be working for $4, 5, 6/hour, but atleast they would have jobs, not sitting at home on welfare smoking weed and producing children.
your stupid conservative views are for wicked capitalist , who think only for their pocket and not the general good.minimum wage help every society to set parametres for inflection control
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by ayobase(m): 7:46pm On Sep 15, 2013
Arsenate: Nice replies.@ Op, you're busted. We are not as dumb as you thought. Hehehe

Busted?

Did u read the part that says #im just saying##
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by ayobase(m): 7:57pm On Sep 15, 2013
mayten30: can you see how dumb u can be?........

Thank you, but atleast he knows mathematics!

Go read my post again to be sure if all the saliva u pour for my head worth am!

"#Im just saying#"
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 8:01pm On Sep 15, 2013
rozayx5:

Sorry to Ask, are you an Aircraft Carrier undecided

Lmao!
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by oluboyo04(m): 8:09pm On Sep 15, 2013
wise_many2k: No place like home!

I love 9ja, I no go lie... Na inside am I go live and prosper cool
me too

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (15) (Reply)

Oshiomhole Threatens To Suspend Ngige: If Presidency Condones Disrespect.. / "We Are Not Lazy" Billboard In Akwa Ibom Over Buhari’s Statement In London. Pics / I Saw This Fuel Price List From My Parents Register. Who Did We Offend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.