Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,128 members, 7,821,864 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:22 PM

USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. (56612 Views)

Please Sign This Petition To Increase Nigeria's Minimum Wage. / MINIMUM WAGE: Oshiomhole Disowns Govs, Backs Workers / How Long It Takes To Earn USA Minimum Wage Around The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by iyobs7(f): 1:34pm On Sep 15, 2013
We lived in a very comfortable 3bedroom flat in Suncity Estate in Abuja and we were paying 3.5million annually undecided undecided undecided
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by emmatok(m): 1:34pm On Sep 15, 2013
mayten30: so forex trading is lottery?tell me u do not know what forex trading is all about instead of you just saying thrash about what u do not know,incase if you do not know what forex trading is then go to google to get info,google is ur friend,go to google to know more about forex trading

Forex is about predictions of foreign exchange
Sports betting is also predictions.
If you claimed to be earning 300k every month from these, then you are scammer.
Even trained Pros don't get 300k every month from forex and betting.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by deebsman1(m): 1:38pm On Sep 15, 2013
Ism4b: think of how you will live there, the prices of the commodities and so on. may be that minimum wage may not be effective to earn you a better living.
A pri skul teacher here for instance has to go to d us and btw, d $8 is just minimum wage o, mind u.....it will definitely b more. Now for d skul teacher, is that not a step-up for him/her??. And moreover, do u wanna live there for life?
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by mathskill: 1:38pm On Sep 15, 2013
Did you factor in cost of living from rent and bills to education and medical expenditure at the end of the day. finally tax.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by emmatok(m): 1:39pm On Sep 15, 2013
iyobs7:

Obviously u omitted where I wrote 120 THOUSAND for a 2-3 BEDROOM FLAT for a YEAR and in ABUJA
150-200 THOUSAND FOR A YEAR FOR SELF CONTAIN

Even if u rcive 50k a month, add money for Fuel for Generator, Electricity, Transport, Feeding and if u have a car, God know u haff died grin grin grin

Abeg if u know u live abroad and it is way expensive for u, please, I beg u come home biko angry angry angry
iyobs7: Wait and someone is even talking about house rent compared to USA
Lets say u receive 18k monthly in Nigeria and that amounts to 216000 per annum and
at the end of the day u get urself a NICE 2-3 bedroom flat in Benin city which is about 120k in Abuja self contain u go see for about 150-200k and u are here talking about house rent is expensive in America abeg make una dey talk well abeg...
I hate hypocrites and those living in california or USA or abroad that is complaining, please come back home biko angry angry angry

That is your last post.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 1:40pm On Sep 15, 2013
emmatok:

Forex is about predictions of foreign exchange
Sports betting is also predictions.
If you claimed to be earning 300k every month from these, then you are scammer.
Even trained Pros don't get 300k every month from forex and betting.
hahaha are you serious?you do not know what u are saying?300k is not up to 3000 dollars,go to betfair.com when you get there let me know and u will see how you can earn even 3000 dollars or more easily,I will even teach u for free..
Next time try to find out how someone is becoming successful in a business before talking rubbish,na people like you go always assume say anybody wey don dey rich for naija na fraudster of him do ritual money,smh
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nentongsh(m): 1:40pm On Sep 15, 2013
wise_many2k: No place like home!

I love 9ja, I no go lie... Na inside am I go live and prosper cool
Imagine som pple tryna live happily in our sorry state we need a change attitude fellas not dos dat will encourage it,its a shame

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by pappilo(m): 1:42pm On Sep 15, 2013
manny4life:

It's easy to state they earn $10/hr but you did not include taxes (SS, State, Federal, and Medicare), the cost of living vs Nigeria are way different. Nigeria has her own problems and while Nigerian wage is low (peanut), Nigeria does have it good to a certain degree. Please don't envy $10/hr, it's NOTHING.

I earned £7/hr in England for 2 years working in a call centre and guess what? I bought my first car and flat (joint mortgage with missus) from my salary. I made about £1100 after taxes and after paying rent in a flatshare, Travelcard, bills, food, entertainment. I had about £400 left over. I had a second partime job as a match day steward at a London football club and that gave me an extra £200 or so. I lived well comfortably.

I dont know what N18,000 can do for anyone in Naija. My mum has employees earning N20,000 per month and they are wretched. After transport and food, I doubt they can afford to rent more than a room in a rundown face me I face you building in the worst part of town.

7 Likes

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by AK481(m): 1:43pm On Sep 15, 2013
Earning 300k in lekki and living in lekki

Or

Earning 20k in ajegunle and living in ajegunle

Choose one,which one will you choose?

For thoes of you looking for an excuse to suffer will not agree that no matter the tax and expenses you pay you will still have 250k as take home.
In summery,a ssce degree holder nanny in carlifornia earns more that most bank middle manager.

Bro emeka sending cars for you to sell might be a waiter in carlifornia,bt you as a graduate working in a good company in nigeria cant even pay for ur flat.

What is bad is bad,there is no 2 ways about it.nigeria is bad!.and anybody in ur status that leaves this country to a better one is likly to be better than you in 5 years time.

The good news,i believe in the journey the president is taking us.

#fresh air till 2019#

7 Likes

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by eluquenson(m): 1:43pm On Sep 15, 2013
mayten30: so forex trading is lottery?tell me u do not know what forex trading is all about instead of you just saying thrash about what u do not know,incase if you do not know what forex trading is then go to google to get info,google is ur friend,go to google to know more about forex trading

You hide under forex, I also have a marketiva account, which you should understand I do forex but i can't say that's my job, I work full time with a reputable bank, so don't think I'm a scammer like you.
You said you earn from "forex trading and sport
betting I earn just 300k per month" whatever.

Scammer or simply say you categorically earn from "baba ijebu" grin
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by pastor4real: 1:44pm On Sep 15, 2013
@emmatok: You are right about the infrastructures, accommodation and the purchasing power. You totally wrong about getting good accommodation for $500. In Pennsylvania, Delaware and New York; you will need at least $900 to rent 1bedroom flat to live in good location with rest of mind. You are right that u can get a used car for less than $1000, my friend that will be a good one, be ready to spend extra $1000 plus on the car. You cannot survive with $8/hr unless u want to rent a room from som1 who own a house, that will cost between $300 to $400 a month.
That is more reason most people cannot afford to go to school. Some schools charge up to $25,000 a year. At the end of your program you will be in debt because you have to pay back your student loan. To get job is hard these days, and when you get one, you will be lucky if they offer you $30,000 a year for an entry level job. If you have brother/sister abroad ask them how much they make per year, also ask them there take home pay because here they don't joke with tax.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Btruth: 1:45pm On Sep 15, 2013
Whatever. Been there, done that....home is still better. Anyway, I wish you goodluck.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 1:50pm On Sep 15, 2013
eluquenson:

You hide under forex, I also have a marketiva account, which you should understand I do forex but i can't say that's my job, I work full time with a reputable bank, so don't think I'm a scammer like you.
You said you earn from "forex trading and sport
betting I earn just 300k per month" whatever.

Scammer or simply say you categorically earn from "baba ijebu" grin
hahah very funny looser,even my mum has a trading account but does that mean she is good at forex trading?because you do forex trading and u are a looser do not mean everyone will be the same with u,whereas not everyone doing forex trading that is successful,go to forex trade alert thread on the business section of nairaland and you will see for yourself how some earn so much from forex trading and also how some lost big money too,
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by eluquenson(m): 1:50pm On Sep 15, 2013
AK 48: Earning 300k in lekki and living in lekki

Or

Earning 20k in ajegunle and living in ajegunle

Choose one,which one will you choose?

For thoes of you looking for an excuse to suffer will not agree that no matter the tax and expenses you pay you will still have 250k as take home.
In summery,a ssce degree holder nanny in carlifornia earns more that most bank middle manager.

Bro emeka sending cars for you to sell might be a waiter in carlifornia,bt you as a graduate working in a good company in nigeria cant even pay for ur flat.

What is bad is bad,there is no 2 ways about it.nigeria is bad!.and anybody in ur status that leaves this country to a better one is likly to be better than you in 5 years time.

The good news,i believe in the journey the president is taking us.

#fresh air till 2019#

You said the truth , but reduce your spacing & forget about your Gej cos you are just dreaming, regions are set for disintegration if he wins.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 1:52pm On Sep 15, 2013
pastor4real: @emmatok: You are right about the infrastructures, accommodation and the purchasing power. You totally wrong about getting good accommodation for $500. In Pennsylvania, Delaware and New York; you will need at least $900 to rent 1bedroom flat to live in good location with rest of mind. You are right that u can get a used car for less than $1000, my friend that will be a good one, be ready to spend extra $1000 plus on the car. You cannot survive with $8/hr unless u want to rent a room from som1 who own a house, that will cost between $300 to $400 a month.
That is more reason most people cannot afford to go to school. Some schools charge up to $25,000 a year. At the end of your program you will be in debt because you have to pay back your student loan. To get job is hard these days, and when you get one, you will be lucky if they offer you $30,000 a year for an entry level job. If you have brother/sister abroad ask them how much they make per year, also ask them there take home pay because here they don't joke with tax.
you have just made my day,tell him ooo,
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by emmatok(m): 1:54pm On Sep 15, 2013
pastor4real: @emmatok: You are right about the infrastructures, accommodation and the purchasing power. You totally wrong about getting good accommodation for $500. In Pennsylvania, Delaware and New York; you will need at least $900 to rent 1bedroom flat to live in good location with rest of mind. You are right that u can get a used car for less than $1000, my friend that will be a good one, be ready to spend extra $1000 plus on the car. You cannot survive with $8/hr unless u want to rent a room from som1 who own a house, that will cost between $300 to $400 a month.

Pastor minimum wages are for unskilled-semiskilled workers.e.g cleaners,gateman,messengers e.t.c.
Taste might not be the priority here.

But they can live better than some Graduate Nigerians earning 15000 per month.

4 Likes

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by nadesh(f): 1:55pm On Sep 15, 2013
mayten30: and after you get the room what other taxes do you pay?u people are only talking about getting the house,what about the taxes u will pay?abi u think say na like nigeria where u go live for a house for 8 years without even paying tax.since you have paid your rent?
You must be living in the slums. We pay service charges in tune of 150 to 160K each month.It covers diesel,cleaning,security etc.

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by eluquenson(m): 1:55pm On Sep 15, 2013
mayten30: hahah very funny looser,even my mum has a trading account but does that mean she is good at forex trading?because you do forex trading and u are a looser do not mean everyone will be the same with u,whereas not everyone doing forex trading that is successful,go to forex trade alert thread on the business section of nairaland and you will see for yourself how some earn so much from forex trading and also how some lost big money too,

Forex is very ok if you earn well from it, but its like your case is sport betting where you earn a living, I don't know why Nigerians can't do without gambling.
Why don't you stick to your forex if you are not a loser.... tongue
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by anonimi: 1:56pm On Sep 15, 2013
One missing element is how much does a PUBLIC SERVANT also earn in the US compared to their minimum wage
How does that DISPARITY compare with what obtain in our dear country, Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 1:56pm On Sep 15, 2013
Adex097: Why didn't you compare the cost of living too?
the cost of living is high but you will still live well.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by anonimi: 1:58pm On Sep 15, 2013
emmatok:

Pastor minimum wages are for unskilled-semiskilled workers.e.g cleaners,gateman,messengers e.t.c.
Taste might not be the priority here.

But they can live better than some Graduate Nigerians earning 15000 per month.

Or those graduates "empowered" to earn 8k net by some states that will remain unnamed for now.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 1:59pm On Sep 15, 2013
eluquenson:

Forex is very ok if you earn well from it, but its like your case is sport betting where you earn a living, I don't know why Nigerians can't do without gambling.
Why don't you stick to your forex if you are not a loser.... tongue
go to betfair.com and see for urself,u will know why sport betting at betfair pays than forex trading,and let me remind you is not football betting again I even now call it football trading,visit the site and u will understand why it is now called football trading and not football betting,infact some people that do sport betting do not even use the site not to even talk about strategies that they can use to make money
Like my dad will say when you are not informed u will be deformed
ampdoria v Genoa
Selections (3) Back (142.3%) Lay
25pts and Under 10.0 (£30) Offer
30 - 40pts 3.0 (£20) Offer
45pts and Over 1.01 (£1,069) 1.39 (£96)
Total Matched: £0.00
That is an example of football trading
Incase if you do not understand the example,just go to google and ask more info about what lay and back bet means and what booking odds mean,that will give u an idea what all this is about
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by emmatok(m): 2:00pm On Sep 15, 2013
mayten30: hahaha are you serious?you do not know what u are saying?300k is not up to 3000 dollars,go to betfair.com when you get there let me know and u will see how you can earn even 3000 dollars or more easily,I will even teach u for free..
Next time try to find out how someone is becoming successful in a business before talking rubbish,na people like you go always assume say anybody wey don dey rich for naija na fraudster of him do ritual money,smh
We know about you forex and betting they are all predictions.

Prove me wrong.

But they are not part of wages and salaries.
Its you personal business.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by woletoys: 2:01pm On Sep 15, 2013
[color=#990000][/color]
manny4life:

It's easy to state they earn $10/hr but you did not include taxes (SS, State, Federal, and Medicare), the cost of living vs Nigeria are way different. Nigeria has her own problems and while Nigerian wage is low (peanut), Nigeria does have it good to a certain degree. Please don't envy $10/hr, it's NOTHING.

U are saying its noting, afta removing all d taxes u mentioned, there system works perfectly, wen dey remove taxes 4m our #18,000 minimum wage, do we have light, no access to good water, no good hospital den wats ur point?
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 2:04pm On Sep 15, 2013
emmatok:
We know about you forex and betting their are all predictions.

Prove me wrong.

But they are not part of wages and salaries.
Its you personal business.
you are very correct they are personal business and not a wage and salary,that is why I am am making all my opinion on this thread personal,am speaking for myself
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by emmatok(m): 2:04pm On Sep 15, 2013
anonimi:

Or those graduates "empowered" to earn 8k net by some states that will remain unnamed for now.

I don't understand your post.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 2:13pm On Sep 15, 2013
Maybe Government should also make our minimum wage 1,000,000 and impose crazy tax on us, Triple PHCN bills and make sure people pay them (not direct connection guys), triple water bills, impose insurance, medical cards, etc on us, impose heavy payments for difference kinds of unlawful acts (road offenders, Noisemakers, indiscriminate killing of animals etc...) and so much more!

Ignorance kills....Until you try to live outside Nigeria, You won't know Nigerians are enjoying!

I just laugh when Nigerians claim they pay tax. Try to check out the crazy bills citizens of other countries pay, them you'll know wassup.

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by ceejayluv(m): 2:13pm On Sep 15, 2013
stagger: You can make N8 and spend N3, leaving you with N5 (Naija).

OR

You can make N30 and spend N28, leaving you with N2 (US).

Stop comparing us with the US. The only good thing they have going is that they have a social security structure, which is totally absent here. Apart from that, nothing!
Yes, minimum wage anywhere is minimum wage, but can you compare the standard of living of a minimum age earner in Nigeria to one in America?.
Believe me, many Nigerians abroad remitting cash for fees and rent for their folks in Nigeria are earning barely above minimum wage there .
Can a minimum wage earner here sponsor anyone in school comfortably?

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by ifebosco: 2:20pm On Sep 15, 2013
vladimiros: This is why Nigerians should pay tax
what happen to the ones we are paying??
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by eluquenson(m): 2:20pm On Sep 15, 2013
ceejayluv:
Yes, minimum wage anywhere is minimum wage, but can you compare the standard of living of a minimum age earner in Nigeria to one in America?.
Believe me, many Nigerians abroad remitting cash for fees and rent for their folks in Nigeria are earning barely above minimum wage there .
Can a minimum wage earner here sponsor anyone in school comfortably?

That's true, many people are just having a wrong perception of it, they forget that US govt has subsidized food over there compared to Nigeria where govt only subsidized fuel & yet we still buy fuel at a high price.
Nigeria is simple lagging behind in all endeavors whether you compare cost of living or maximum wages it makes no difference to the truth of the matter.

1 Like

Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by pastor4real: 2:21pm On Sep 15, 2013
@emmatok: You are wrong again. Most foreigners and citizens live by the minimum wage here, most of these foreigners have degree from there home countries but it is very difficult to get into the system here with your foreign education unless you are a doctor, pharmacist, nurse etc. With your degree you will end up with the minimum wage jobs. Ask our people with degree from Nigeria where they work. Most Nigerians with degree from Nigeria work in Parking lots, walmart store making $7.25, $8 or $9 an hour plus tips if you come across a good customer.

This place is good if you are young and you are coming here to school. Also make sure you study something that will be marketable, something like doctor, pharmacist, nurse, engineer.
Re: USA Minimum Wage Vs Nigeria Minimum Wage. by Nobody: 2:21pm On Sep 15, 2013
Cost of living in the States is much more than that of naija...
Consider the tax,bills,...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Oshiomhole Threatens To Suspend Ngige: If Presidency Condones Disrespect.. / "We Are Not Lazy" Billboard In Akwa Ibom Over Buhari’s Statement In London. Pics / 4-Million-Man March In Lagos: Obidients Are Ready (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.