Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,219 members, 7,815,262 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai (2177 Views)

I Helped Make Jonathan President –tinubu / My removal will make Jonathan vulnerable –Tukur / NATIONAL Conference Will Make Jonathan A Hero –afenifere (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by Nobody: 9:21pm On Sep 14, 2013
Another issue of great concern is your persistent criticism of President Goodluck Jonathan. People are wondering that apart from politics, if both of you have any hidden agenda?

No, no, no. Jonathan was actually a good friend of mine at the time he was deputy governor. To me, when a friend of mine is destroying Nigeria, I have to speak. And I believe strongly that Jonathan has been systematically destroying the fabric of unity in this country. He has been promoting divisions and corruption and impunity at the highest level. Even if we were from the same mother, I would criticize him if he does that. I don’t care! I think Nigeria is more important than any relationship, personal or familiar. And if my own brother was the one running Nigeria the way Jonathan is ruining it, I will criticize him.

Don’t you think your criticism will be better channelled if you participate in his government?

No! I don’t believe that. I don’t believe that the devil will repent. I don’t believe that when you see something and you know how devilish it is, you will improve. There is a limit to how much you can change what is technically bad. I believe that the Jonathan government is completely and totally bad and anyone that joins will only come back spoilt. So, I don’t believe that. I have never for a moment even considered having anything to with the Jonathan government. Not even for a moment.

People believe he listens more than former President Obasanjo whom you worked with and that you were one of the arrowheads that made that government succeed. Those advancing this argument also believe that being part of this government, you would also make it succeed. What is your take on this?

Nothing can make Jonathan succeed. He is grossly incompetent, he doesn’t listen, he doesn’t even understand the issues. I am sorry! I know the man more than those that are shouting with Jonathan because when he was my friend, none of them even knew him. I knew Jonathan as a deputy governor in 2002. That was when I first met him and we have been relating. So, all these new found Jonathan lovers should just shut up. I know him and I know what he can do and what he cannot do. So, please, they should just leave me alone. Those that want jobs can go and take jobs. I don’t want.

You worked so hard to ensure the merger arrangement between your party, the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) and the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), including the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP). Now that the merger has been sealed, registered as APC, how do you feel? And how is your mood like?

I feel good. I feel happy that for the first time in Nigeria’s history, major political parties are coming together to provide a credible alternative platform for Nigerians. So, I feel quite gratified that our amount of efforts along with others, have come to fruition. So, we are grateful to God for His mercies.

Some believed that the party was dead on arrival. Can your party deliver Nigeria from its present political state?

Some said we will never merge, some said it will never be registered, some said that when we come to form the national executive committee, we will scatter. Some said this, some said that. They are hoping. These are all Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) agents that will not wish the country well. The APC has come to stay, we have merged, we have been registered, the national executives committee has been constituted, we are forming state harmonization committees, we are making progress, we are coming together, while even the PDP is falling apart. What more do I need to say?

A chieftain of the CPC once said General Muhammadu Buhari is the essence of the whole merger arrangement, that they want gatekeepers for him during election. How true is that?

I think Buhari is an essential element in the merger but he is not the only one. And that is because in the history of politics in Nigeria, there has never been a political leader with the kind of following that Buhari has. It is only a party backed by General Buhari that can garner 12 million votes without money, without organisation and only five months to an election. So, Buhari is a political phenomenon. Clearly, he is a major leg in the merger, but he is not the only one. There are leaders in ACN and ANPP that were equally part of it. Leaders like Audu Ogbeh, Chief Tom Ikimi, Chief Segun Osoba in the ACN. In the ANPP, Ali Modu Sheriff, Ibrahim Shekarau and Senator Kabiru Gaya. All these are important legs in the merger. So, to try to make the merger something just around Buhari, is not quite correct. He is a major issue, of course, in the merger and anyone that thinks Buhari is not a major issue in Nigerian politics, must be living somewhere else. And those of us from the CPC stock, are very proud that he has made the sacrifice needed to create a national party that will challenge and kick out the PDP.

Will you support Buhari in 2015 if he decides to contest for the presidency?

Absolutely! Absolutely! In fact, I am one of those that have been working on General Buhari since September 2011, to convince him to change his mind about never contesting again.

Why?

Because I think that where Nigeria is today, only someone like Buhari, with the experience of having run the country before, and having run it along certain principles of discipline, integrity and accountability, that Nigeria needs. Nigeria is suffering from the highest level of corruption in its history, from a culture of impunity and indiscipline and deliberately created divisions among the people. You will need a strong leader like Buhari who will unite everyone. You will need a leader like Buhari who has experience in war and peace, to deal with the insurgency that is cropping up all over the place. You need a leader that has been governor, minister, head of state without ever being accused of corruption, to face the issue of corruption and impunity in this country. There is no one like him. So, he is my candidate and I will be very, very happy to support him if he chooses to contest.

Some believe that the Nigeria Buhari ruled between 1993 and 1985 is different from the Nigeria of today…

(Cuts in) Of course!

That if General Buhari rules Nigeria today, corruption is going to happen under him because he is not going to be everywhere. Some have even said there was corruption under him while in Petroleum Trust Fund (PTF).

Of course! There will always be corruption. There is no society without corruption, but how much corruption? When you have a president who has ministers and all of them are actively engaged day and night in corruption, then you can’t stop it. But when you have a president who lives by example, who does not accept or participate in corruption and frowns at any kind of misconduct, then there is improvement. Yeah, under Buhari, there will be corruption. There is no where in the world where there won’t be any corruption. But how much corruption? This is the point. The issue is, under a Buhari presidency, you will know if you are corrupt and you are caught, you will be dealt with. Under a Jonathan presidency, you will get national honour or a pardon. That is the difference.

Some are also talking about the deification of General Buhari, that he is not the only clean man in Nigeria, that why Buhari? So, why Buhari?

I don’t know whether Buhari is the only clean man. No, we never said that. We never said Buhari is the only clean man. I am sure there are many clean men and women all over Nigeria but they have not offered themselves in the political space to run for president. Among those that are offering themselves, we believe that Buhari is one of those that are clean. Even the others, I am not saying that they are not clean. I know that Jonathan is not clean for sure. Ok? Because what has happened under his government clearly proves it. So, we are not saying he is the only one. We all make our personal choices. I have made the choice that for Nigeria of today, Buhari is the best candidate I see.

To govern Nigeria?

Yes! Of today! He is ideal for addressing our problems in Nigeria today and I intend to support him. Everyone of us can make his own choices and I am not imposing my own choice on anyone. Let us look at all the candidates and look at where Nigeria is and choose which one is the best for Nigeria no matter what his age, tribe and religion is. We want to save Nigeria oooooo! Ok? It is not age that will save Nigeria, it is not one’s religion and it is not one’s ethnicity. It is one’s capacity to identify problems and solve them and I think Buhari is the best qualified at this point in time.

CAN led by Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor, had twice, called for his arrest since the 2011 election. Is there any problem between General Buhari and CAN?

Look, Pastor Oritsejafor is the propaganda chief of the PDP. He lacks credibility…

(Cuts in) As a religious leader?

He is not a religious leader. He is a religious pretender. From his statements, he is a bigot, he is an ethnic irredentist and no one should take him seriously. It is sad that such a person is the head of CAN. So, he can say whatever he wants to say but we know who he is working for, we know who gave him his private jet. So, why should we worry about someone like that? He has zero credibility.

What do you make of the crisis in the ruling PDP of which you were once a member?

Well, I left the PDP long ago, so I don’t know what is happening there. But we read in the papers what is going on and it was bound to happen. The way and manner the PDP is being run, it was bound to happen.

Did you ever imagine that?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah! It was a matter of time. It was bound to happen. But those of us in the opposition, are focused at building our own young party and deepening it within the Nigerian political space.

Do you believe the crisis is about 2015 elections?

I don’t know what it is about. As I said, we are focused on our own party building. We really do not care about the PDP and what is going on there.

Do you think the president should drop his presidential ambition if he nurses any?

I think the president as a Nigerian, is entitled to run for any office if the constitution does not ban him. And those of us in opposition really think he is a better candidate because he will be easier to defeat. He has no track record to run on and we will defeat him.

What are your plans for 2015?

I am going to continue to work on building our party at every level and hope that we will present an excellent presidential candidate that will ensure that Jonathan goes back to Otuoke. That is my plan.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/my-problem-with-atiku-obasanjo-el-rufai/

1 Like

Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by Nobody: 9:29pm On Sep 14, 2013
Elrufai is 100% correct on this one; I am not a fan of his; buh he's very correct on this one...

1 Like

Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by Nobody: 9:31pm On Sep 14, 2013
Raymondenyi: Elrufai is 100% correct on this one; I am not a fan of his; buh he's very correct on this one...

Sure. Jonathan is clueless, corrupt and incompetent. End of story.

2 Likes

Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by Dpeacemaker101: 10:08pm On Sep 14, 2013
And Please who is ELrufai? Oh I remember the one that give Abuja land to his numerous girl friends and family members, the corruption master himself talk trash about corruption,Abeg who should go and write another book and sell to his fans with his lies. Verily, I say unto him that he shall never be in government at any level in Nigeria he can go and try Niger they could give him village head.lol

3 Likes

Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by taharqa: 10:09pm On Sep 14, 2013
lol... I heard that d BH operatives that these people piped to 'ensure that GEJ wud NEVER suceed' are running around now in search of food and shelter, dying of HUNGER, afta severe beatings by d People-wey-pass-them.... These people Never learn. Method 1 FAILED Woefully; other Methods are sure to fail

2 Likes

Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by Appliedmaths(m): 10:22pm On Sep 14, 2013
Make dem dey expose themselves. grin
Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by idumuose(m): 10:23pm On Sep 14, 2013
If El Rufai can team up with Tinubu, then who is deceiving who?
Ɣ☺u had better prepare to return to exile in 2015.

3 Likes

Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by Nobody: 10:25pm On Sep 14, 2013
Well, President Jonathan has already SUCCEEDED in moving Nigeria from the shameful era of fraudulent elections to a new era of FREE and FAIR elections. The people of Anambra, Imo, Edo, Ondo, Ogun, Lagos, Enugu, etc voted and for the FIRST TIME saw their votes counted and RECORDED. OBJ lost at his polling boot and it was RECORDED for him. Those who won at the polling boots had their votes RECORDED for them. That is the BEAUTY of democracy. That is the MOST IMPORTANT dividend of democracy. There's nothing as sweet as people using their thumbs to determine who leads them. That is what Nigerians were denied since independence.

GEJ has SUCCEEDED in returning the railways. El Rufai and his master were in power for 8 years, during which they did nothing to revive the comatose railways. Now, from the east, to west and north, the railways are roaring back to life. In addition, GEJ is about completing the FIRST modern railway project in Nigeria (Abuja-Kaduna fast railway) among others.

GEJ has SUCCEEDED in winning the African Cup of Nations, after 19 trophyless years.

GEJ has SUCCEEDED in converting the Enugu Airport to an international Airport and opening up the southeast to world for the FIRST TIME since independence.

GEJ has SUCCEEDED in seeing through the LARGEST single privatisation process in Africa. The World Bank doubted the ability of Nigeria to see through the PHCN privatisation process. But GEJ SUCCEEDED in getting the job done. Note, the law enabling privatisation of PHCN was passed in 2005 but between then and 2010, no regime had the liver to see it through.

GEJ is also doing other BASIC things- road construction, reconstruction and rehabilitation; Airport reconstruction; infrastructural upgrade in our higher institutions; agriculture reforms (rice self-sufficiency policy, sugar master plan,etc); direct job creation initiatives (eg YOUWIN, SURE-P),etc

GEJ has made tremendous progress in the last 2-3 years despite the contrived security challenges. GEJ has SUCCEEDED and will continue to SUCCEED. As a person he has SUCCEEDED (from deputy governor to the highest position one could ever aspire to as a Nigerian, the president of the federal republic of Nigeria) and the govt that he heads has also SUCCEEDED.

Ironically, it is El Rufai who cannot succeed. He has failed woefully in his goal of becoming president of Nigeria. Perhaps that is the source of his frustrations, hate and implacable bitterness.

11 Likes

Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by Nobody: 10:30pm On Sep 14, 2013
Privatization is now being listed as an achievement! grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by Nobody: 10:33pm On Sep 14, 2013

[size=18pt]Kidnapping in Nigeria is out of hand[/size]

DRIVING home through the darkness on September 6th towards Nigeria’s main oil city, Port Harcourt, Archbishop Ignatius Kattey and his wife had no idea that an armed gang was about to nab them. Yet it was not an extraordinary event. The kidnap of Nigeria’s second-ranking Anglican cleric, whose wife has since been freed, was just another instance, albeit at a higher level than usual, of a crime that residents of the swampy Niger Delta have become grimly accustomed to.

Kidnapping in the oil region is invariably for ransom. Foreign oilmen used to be the usual targets, but rich Nigerian businessmen, prominent academics and even footballers have become increasingly vulnerable. The kidnap menace has also got a lot worse this year in Lagos, Nigeria’s largest city and its economic hub.

There are so many abductions across the country nowadays that they rarely get into the news. During the first half of 2013, Nigeria had the most kidnap attempts in the world, accounting for 26% of all such recorded incidents. Mexico was second with 10%, and Pakistan third with 7%, reckons NYA International, a London-based firm that gathers intelligence on crime.

This year’s tally of kidnaps is expected to be higher in Nigeria than in 2012 and 2011, when 500 and 475 were recorded respectively, says a security expert. But the true figures may be still higher. “Half of all cases are not reported, with some people preferring to handle matters privately,” he explains. Because people have little faith in the police’s ability to arrest the perpetrators or negotiate with them, the victim’s family invariably resorts to settling quickly with the criminals.

In some of Nigeria’s 36 states there has been progress in tackling the kidnappers. But beefed-up security in some south-eastern states, such as Akwa Ibom and Abia, may have merely pushed the gangs westward to cities such as Lagos, where burgeoning middle-class districts are being increasingly targeted. A flashy car and swanky suit can be enough to catch a villain’s eye. In “express kidnappings”, as they are dubbed, victims are rarely kept for more than a fortnight; most of them are freed, after the cash has been handed over, in three or four days. “It’s a new way of making money in Lagos,” says the security expert. “But now it’s all too easy.”

When Lagos police arrested a gang of ten kidnappers in July, one of them explained that he held his Chinese boss for three days because he felt unfairly treated. He devised a plan with his driver to abduct the boss; they extorted $51,000 from the company. Another man said he kidnapped a friend out of jealousy, keeping him for two days before freeing him for $3,000.

It is against Nigerian law to pay ransoms, but most people and companies cough up, though many deny doing so. Captors usually start with huge demands before being haggled down. Settlements of $12,000-30,000 are standard, though there have been instances of people getting away with as little as $600. The kidnappers who snatched Mike Ozekhome, a human-rights lawyer, in August initially asked for the Nigerian equivalent of $915,000; as The Economist went to press, he and the archbishop were still being held. Until policing improves and people refuse to pay, the scourge of kidnapping will persist—and the best of lawyers and churchmen will be vulnerable.

http://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21586355-kidnapping-nigeria-out-hand-holy-mess
Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by Nobody: 10:35pm On Sep 14, 2013
GEJ has failed woefully to secure Nigerians-rich and poor.

1 Like

Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by taharqa: 10:36pm On Sep 14, 2013
Prof Corruption: Privatization is now being listed as an achievement! grin grin grin grin

The Privatisation and Reform of d Power Sector, just concluding, is actuali one of d Greatest and most SIGNIFICANT Achievements in the history of this country. It is also about sm of d most Complex undertaking ever done by any Govt in Nigeria or Africa, even. It is a VERY BIG deal.

4 Likes

Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by Nobody: 10:40pm On Sep 14, 2013
Kai!! grin grin grin this one na KO! How can one dispute? Chai!!! angry

1 Like

Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by Nobody: 10:41pm On Sep 14, 2013
Prof Corruption:

http://www.economist.com/news/middle-east-and-africa/21586355-kidnapping-nigeria-out-hand-holy-mess
The Lekki concession that your masters conjured in Lagos has already collapsed. After the residents of that area had paid immoral tolls for about 2 years, the state govt is planning to buy back the concession with N87billion.
Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by takeprofit: 10:43pm On Sep 14, 2013
Prof Corruption: GEJ has failed woefully to secure Nigerians-rich and poor.

i wonder why some nigerians will never appreciate good leadership. for ur information, we are glad to be free from the days of selfish ibb, abacha, obj etc. if i may ask, hw are u sure u can perform better than gej? ur username name is suspicious. by their username we shall know them.

2 Likes

Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by Nobody: 10:44pm On Sep 14, 2013
GEJ won African Cup of Nations? grin grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by takeprofit: 10:45pm On Sep 14, 2013
Prof Corruption: Privatization is now being listed as an achievement! grin grin grin grin

yes it is an achievement so pple like u wont have any opportunity to express corruption tendencies

8 Likes

Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by awodman: 10:48pm On Sep 14, 2013
El-rufai this bitterness is driving you to insanity...all I can deduce is an emotional outburst of a very bitter and frustrated man...when U̶̲̥̅̊ start dealing on VERIFIABLE facts of why GEJ can't suceed,maybe right thinking Nigerians will start taking you serious...

And lastly remember that this same GEJ you re castigating made it possible for you to return to this country after yardua hounded you out...Enuf said

5 Likes

Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by Nobody: 10:48pm On Sep 14, 2013
takeprofit:

yes it is an achievement so pple like u wont have any opportunity to express corruption tendencies

Selling government assets at undervalued prices to corrupt cronies is only an achievement for the Grand Commander Of Corruption called Goodluck Jonathan ruining Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by takeprofit: 10:52pm On Sep 14, 2013
which nigerian leader has developed nigeria better than goodluck Jonathan?

1 Like

Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by Nobody: 10:52pm On Sep 14, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
The Lekki concession that your masters conjured in Lagos has already collapsed. After the people had paid immoral tolls for about ever 2 years, the state govt is planning to buy back the concession with N87billion.

Insincere9erian, I won't go down that lane with you. If there's fraud in Lagos, it's the responsibility of federal controlled EFCC to investigate and prosecute officials who have one way or the other soiled their hands.

4 Likes

Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by Nobody: 10:54pm On Sep 14, 2013
taharqa: The Privatisation and Reform of d Power Sector, just concluding, is actuali one of d Greatest and most SIGNIFICANT Achievements in the history of this country. It is also about sm of d most Complex undertaking ever done by any Govt in Nigeria or Africa, even. It is a VERY BIG deal.

Is this a joke? grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by awodman: 11:00pm On Sep 14, 2013
Prof Corruption:

When the multiplier effects of this action you seem to be castigating starts taking place...hope you will be around to join in the celebrations

1 Like

Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by Nobody: 11:01pm On Sep 14, 2013
taharqa: The Privatisation and Reform of d Power Sector, just concluding, is actuali one of d Greatest and most SIGNIFICANT Achievements in the history of this country. It is also about sm of d most Complex undertaking ever done by any Govt in Nigeria or Africa, even. It is a VERY BIG deal.
Dont mind the medieval igoramus.

For me the number one achievement (priceless achievement) is free and fair elections. The second most important achievement of the GEJ govt is power sector reforms, followed by railways, then road construction and OTHERS.

1 Like

Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by Nobody: 11:04pm On Sep 14, 2013
awodman:
When the multiplier effects of this action you seem to be castigating starts taking place...hope you will be around to join in the celebrations

If privatizing power sector is "d most Complex undertaking ever done by any Govt in Nigeria or Africa", how should we describe the undertaking of those who built what's being privatized now?

The most complex undertaking in human history? Jokers!! grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by Nobody: 11:12pm On Sep 14, 2013
awodman:
Dont allow the ignoramus derail the thread with his dumb posts. His understanding of privatisation is simply "selling of govt assets". But his masters in Lagos could not do a successful concessioning of the state owed road.

1 Like

Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by takeprofit: 11:13pm On Sep 14, 2013
Prof Corruption:

If privatizing power sector is "d most Complex undertaking ever done by any Govt in Nigeria or Africa", how should we describe the undertaking of those who built what's being privatized now?

am sure u were happy when nepa was supplying power once a month. now we have hope of having power supply 24 x 7 x 365. is that not an achievement ?

1 Like

Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by Nobody: 11:17pm On Sep 14, 2013

[size=18pt]Theft and disruptions knock Nigeria oil output to four-year low[/size]
Nigeria is suffering the worst oil production disruptions in four years, with output falling to levels last seen before the government’s amnesty programme ended the militancy in the Niger delta. Industrial scale oil theft, sabotage and technical problems have caused crude output to drop to less than 1.9m barrels a day this summer, the lowest since mid-2009, when production briefly dipped to a 20-year low of 1.5m b/d. Any further fall would allow Angola to assume Nigeria’s position as the continent’s largest crude producer.

“Output has been less than 2m barrels a day for several months,” said Rolake Akinkugbe, head of energy research at Ecobank. “It’s a reflection of the headwinds facing oil companies in Nigeria.”The country’s production difficulties have helped push global crude prices to a five-month high of $111 a barrel. They have also damaged the financial outlook in Africa’s second-biggest economy, where oil and gas account for nearly 80 per cent of fiscal revenues.Nigeria budgeted for oil sales of 2.5m b/d in 2013, which combined with the high petroleum prices should have allowed for substantial savings in the Excess Crude Account, the government’s rainy-day fund. But instead of increasing, the fund has been run down from $9bn in December to $5.1bn in July.

Razia Khan, head of Africa research at Standard Chartered Bank, said falling oil revenues should be a worry for the Nigerian government, especially with a presidential election scheduled for early 2015. Previous polls have been preceded by a sharp increase in spending and leakages in revenue collection as politicians try to buy their way to power.“Nigeria still has a comfortable current account surplus, but it is declining, as is the Excess Crude Account,” said Mrs Khan. “Unless we see a turnaround in oil revenues, investors are going to start to get concerned.”Nigeria drastically reduced the number of oil worker kidnappings and pipeline bomb attacks in 2009 by persuading more than 26,000 militants to disarm in exchange for monthly cash payments, which are ongoing. While the violence has not returned, the theft of oil has grown into a vast and lucrative enterprise involving well-connected officials and security personnel.

Crude oil output
More than 150,000 barrels of oil are reportedly stolen every day, with some feeding illegal refineries in the Niger delta and the bulk shipped to destinations as far away as Asia. The Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative said in July that the country had lost $10.9bn in potential oil revenues to theft and sabotage from 2009 to 2011 – before the problem reached its current scale. By last year, losses had increased to $1bn a month, according to the government.Oil majors have at times had to stop pumping from onshore oilfields because of thieves tapping into their pipelines, with Shell and Eni declaring force majeure this year. Inadequate maintenance procedures and ageing infrastructure, especially the 6,000km pipeline network, has added to the companies’ production woes.Unless we see a turnaround in oil revenues, investors are going to start to get concerned

The disruptions caused oil output to slip below 2m b/d in April, reaching a floor of 1.88m b/d in June, before increasing slightly to 1.92m b/d in July, according to the International Energy Agency. In 2011 and 2012, the country’s average production was 2.2m b/d and 2.1m b/d respectively. Angola, which briefly overtook Nigeria as the continent’s biggest producer in 2009, exports about 1.8m b/d, and hopes to hit 2m b/d by 2015.
Besides the domestic factors, shifting international dynamics are also working against Nigeria. The US has long been the biggest buyer of its crude, but the growth of the American shale industry is changing that. In February, US imports from Nigeria dropped to 194,000 b/d, an 18-year low, forcing Nigeria to find new buyers. Meanwhile, new oil and gas discoveries elsewhere in Africa – from Ghana to Mozambique – mean that petroleum companies have much greater choice than a few years ago over where to invest.

With 37.2bn barrels of provable oil reserves – more than three times that of Angola – Nigeria has much scope to increase oil production, and the government has talked for years about output of 4m b/d. But uncertainly over the petroleum industry bill, which is meant to transform the domestic industry – and increase the government’s fiscal take – has caused oil majors to delay approving new projects.

The mounting security problems and costs onshore have caused the likes of Shell and Chevron to sell off some assets to local players, and concentrate more on deepwater blocks.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/fdd74c5e-0f09-11e3-8e58-00144feabdc0.html
Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by Nobody: 11:19pm On Sep 14, 2013
Left, right and center, GEJ's incompetence is obvious.

1 Like

Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by takeprofit: 11:22pm On Sep 14, 2013
Prof Corruption:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/fdd74c5e-0f09-11e3-8e58-00144feabdc0.html

and u think the whole nigeria should depend on crude oil? what happened to d natural resources from the other zones are they also being stolen?

1 Like

Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by Nobody: 11:27pm On Sep 14, 2013
Prof Corruption:

Were the power infrastructures built in 2 years? Besides what makes a country great is not signing of contracts and building roads or power plants. Rather it is well thought-out and well IMPLEMENTED policies.

Just an example. The first refinery in Nigeria was built by the private sector (one of the multinational oil companies), not govt and it served the country well then. Subsequently, there was policy change, govt took over that refinery and built more. But fast forward to today, no private company has a refinery and the govt built refineries (including the wrongly located Kaduna refinery) have become a burden rather than an asset. So what happened? Policy changes. The policy that allowed a multinational company to build a refinery 5 decades ago was changed. If we had continued with that policy or improved on it, the nation would have several local privately owed refineries by now. Also govt wouldn't have wasted money building public owned refineries. The money wasted in building Kaduna and other refineries would have been spent in education or health or other areas. That is what a good and well IMPLEMENTED policy can do.

7 Likes

Re: Nothing Can Make Jonathan Succeed-El Rufai by taharqa: 11:34pm On Sep 14, 2013
Prof Corruption:

Ewudan. The just concluding Privatisation of d Power Sector in Nigeria is d Largest Privatisation Programme in Africa (according to a study of d Harvard Business School) and also one of d Largest anywhere in d world. Add to that, d even more complicated processes that went into Reforming d Sector (eg, establishing and structuring such critical bodies as NERC, Bulk Trader, Gas Aggregator, EMS, TCN/Manitoba, Debt Company, etc; Signing of d various Gas and Power purchase Agreements; Providing part Gas Sales Guarantees; Payment and Disengagement of about 50,000 workers at once; etc, etc), and you wud get the extent of the complexity and Significance of d Programme- assuming you hv any remaining functional cells in that corruption laden brain of such, that is..

7 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Wedding Of Chief Obafemi Awolowo (in Picture) / Rochas Begins Monthly Million Naira Donation To APC state chapters / Reporter's Diary: How I Got Attacked At Synagogue Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.