Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,880 members, 7,817,591 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:08 PM

Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? (9232 Views)

An Engineer Needs An Advice / Can One Be Called An Engineer After Registering With ImechE? / Advice Needed: Join The Millitary Or Become An Engineer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by Tats(m): 4:49pm On Jun 27, 2008
jay bee:

No one is making it less important. was only highlighting the fact that civil/structural engineers stand better chance of getting jobs once graduated to the young lady.
Since you seem to know about engineering. can you explantiate on how critical mechanical engineering is to a working traffic light.

There you go! I am now in trouble with you!!!  grin grin

Who does the designs of the moulds and other components and oversee fabrication of the street light casings or housings? Certainly the mechnical/Production Engineers.

I guess you may start asking me about each and every item in this world, when I did not say that Mechanical Engineers create every item grin grin
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by jaybee3(m): 4:51pm On Jun 27, 2008
Gamine:

elct elec is so basic, what are these mech people talking about.

Anyways all engineering is good
Thanks Gamine.
If at all one needs to talk about backbone, they ought to be mentioning elect/elect because:
manufacturing companies need robots which are mainly built by elect/elect (PIC micro-controllers, sensors, control systems design)
aeronautic : sensors, control systems, power generated which inturn turns to energy
oil & gas: power, control systems, instrument, measurement
Computers: programs, data communication,
Telecoms: mobile communication, switch
nuclear: using the power created by nuclear fission to turn turbines which in turn generates electricity that gets channel to the power grid (electrical)
i can go on and on but even though i am an elect/elect engineer i didn't for one ask the poster to choose the course over her preference because having asked her of the stuffs she likes best, the natural transformation for her would be civil/structural
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by jaybee3(m): 4:59pm On Jun 27, 2008
Tats:

There you go! I am now in trouble with you!!! grin grin

Who does the designs of the moulds and other components and oversee fabrication of the street light casings or housings? Certainly the mechanical/Production Engineers.

I guess you may start asking me about each and every item in this world, when I did not say that Mechanical Engineers create every item grin grin

i specifically said a "working traffic light"
mould/casing is less important compared to the gates, JK flip flops, time delays, programs used to make people go home safely.
and they don't fabricate components. they are done by robots (precision engineers)

And for your information production engineering is different from mechanical engineering.
mechanical engineering is a course that one studies whilst production engineering is a job that any engineer can do.

They are all important my guy but in terms of job prospect, mechanical is still very low on the pecking order. prove me wrong pls!
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by Ohenry(m): 5:10pm On Jun 27, 2008
I'm an engineer myself and I know it is a challenging profession but what you really need to be successful in the engineering field is a passion for mathematics.

It is what will see you through the academic stresses and rigors of an engineering program. As for being successful as an engineer in the real world, that depends on your people skills. It doesn't really matter if you are a man or a woman. It is your competence and ability to work with others in a team that count.
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by Tats(m): 5:15pm On Jun 27, 2008
jay bee:

i specifically said a "working traffic light"
mould/casing is less important compared to the gates, JK flip flops, time delays, programs used to make people go home safely.
and they don't fabricate components. they are done by robots (precision engineers)

And for your information production engineering is different from mechanical engineering.
mechanical engineering is a course that one studies whilst production engineering is a job that any engineer can do.

They are all important my guy but in terms of job prospect, mechanical is still very low on the pecking order. prove me wrong please!

Before something can become working, it ought to have gone through a process! So that can't be discounted.

Yes, Casing is less important, but can gates, JK flip flops, time delays, programs hang in the air without a casing? Most Engineering functions complement each other. Turbines that generate electricity do not fall off the sky! They are designed and manufactured.

Lets not go into pay matter. I like Elect/Elect and recognise its importance, so lets not waste time on which is and which is not important.
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by TayoD1(m): 5:37pm On Jun 27, 2008
@Tats,

I like Elect/Elect and recognise its importance, so lets not waste time on which is and which is not important.
I totally agree with you here. We could go on and on about which is more important and end up with arguments like "which comes first, the egg or the hen"? All engineering fields are interwoven and one can not exist or go far without the other. It is when all the fields are equally developed that you offer the best product and options to humanity.
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by SmallAnus: 5:38pm On Jun 27, 2008
Poster - this your question is so foolish o.
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by phattgirl: 5:57pm On Jun 27, 2008
Small_Anus:

Poster - this your question is so foolish o.

So is your name tongue

I'm the poster with a diff screen name

I don't live in NIGERIA and i am still very young so what will I know about employment in a foreign country. I only know about the issues concerned in London angry

Maybe your trying to get a reaction I don't know but you got one anyway cool
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by echelon(m): 6:14pm On Jun 27, 2008
@genius33

You can become an engineer. I'm an electronic engineer and guess what?,,,,,,,,,,, my direct supervisor is a lady,,,,,,,,,,very gifted and technically sound at that. I can assure you that there's no such thing as pay discrepancy or intimidation where I work just because you are a lady engineer.
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by SmallAnus: 6:16pm On Jun 27, 2008
phattgirl:

So is your name  tongue

I'm the poster with a diff screen name

I don't live in NIGERIA and i am still very young so what will I know about employment in a foreign country. I only know about the issues concerned in London angry

Maybe your trying to get a reaction I don't know but you got one anyway cool

That your question make me think say your pu ssy is small.
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by UKGNLD(m): 10:57pm On Jun 27, 2008
You should do well, as a male engineer I have always had respect for female engineers. Some of the best engineers I have met have been female, so though it is a male dominated industry don't let that intimidate you. Go for it!  wink
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by patorini(m): 11:19am On Jun 28, 2008
i work with alot of female engineers here. they are really smart people.

whatever you put your mind to do. just maintain focus.

only you know what is good for you.

work hard though, nothing productive comes easy.

cheers.
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by JUNIT1(m): 11:42am On Jun 28, 2008
what's all this nonsense i'm hearing, what does gender have to do with anything, take your passion, link it to your career, just because a career is male dominated doesn't mean that a female can't go into that career, a female can go into mining engineering if that is her passion. wink
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by realFXpips(m): 1:28pm On Jun 28, 2008
I would rather watch my little daughters pulling memory
chips off a computer CPU on a table than watching
them walking around a construction site in helmets!!

Personally, I would encourage any girl wishing to study
engineering to go for the "soft engineering" like computers,
electronics, production, biogenetics, materials, etc than "hard
engineering" like structural, civil, electrical, etc.

By hard I don't mean degree of difficulty since all engineering
courses essentially apply maths, physisc, chemistry, etc but
the extent of field work involved. I believe men are more suited
for the hard engineering courses than women.

Just my lone opinion. Cheers!
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by genius33: 4:36pm On Jun 28, 2008
Everyone's comments are very much appreciated, they've given me more insight into the reality of the actual career prospects than most Universities, I've been to, have done. Thanx   smiley
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by mayrho(m): 4:47pm On Jun 28, 2008
Firstly, engineering is cool but to tell you d truth in Nigeria all u need is first degree. u can also delve into any field of engineering i mean switch in Msc to try any other aspect of engineering. Chase your dream girl All the best
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by totalfact(m): 6:08pm On Jun 28, 2008
In fact,this issue is a concern,and it balls back to the status of engineers generally in Nigeria. Are they ok generally?
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by debosky(m): 6:19pm On Jun 28, 2008
@ Tats and jay bee

you guys want to turn this into 'which engineering field is better' eh? wink

Don't make me add my own portion to this drama - without chemical engineers to design the materials and devise processes to make any of these things, you mechs and elects would simply be dreaming up things with no mass production implementation. wink

I don't really subscribe to the 'hard engineering' and 'soft engineering' thing - people keep propagating those stereotypes and it doesn't help. As long as you're talking about being an engineer and not a 'technician' or 'floor hand' or 'rough neck' that needs to get on the ground and do the heavy lifting and manual labour (which some women excel at anyways) then a woman can be highly successful in either the 'hard' or 'soft' engineering fields. She just needs to discover where her passion lies and go with it.

There is every possibility that she'll be very successful as an engineer - whichever field she chooses.
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by legba1(m): 12:58am On Jun 29, 2008
just dont seem to get what the trouble is about being an engineer.why not just dump these whole paparassi and do what i do.Trying to guess what i do?try harder girl, Am a , Farmer.dare a farmer,dare to starve, kinji ko? grin
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by TCUBE(m): 8:31am On Jun 29, 2008
keep working at it,
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by anewsong(m): 2:53pm On Jun 29, 2008
well there are but may be they must lay down something to be recognised , i dont know
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by lenwang: 4:52pm On Jun 29, 2008
my dear Engineering is quite interesting, it depends on interest and dedication,im a female read computer science in
school, i work as an engineer in a telecoms firm that is into fiberoptics, my dear it,s fun,going out to site to work and supervise,
it,s more interesting especially if u are going out for troubleshooting cos u do alot of thinking,instead of putting on suit
and staying under ac u put on ur jean and go to site, i hate staying in the office cos i see it as someting boring,to cut the long story short
engineering is fun,dont allow any body to discourage u follow ur dreams.
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by endychux: 8:07am On Jun 30, 2008
Just for the records, I will like to correct an impression. somebody said mech engineering is limited but that's not true. Globally mech engineering are hired most than other engineering profession though that does not mean that other engineering professions are not good. For instanst in the oil and gas industry where I work, a mechanical engineer can be : a subsea Engineer, Piping Design Engineer, HVAC Engineering, Rotatory/Static Equipment Engineer, Pipeline Engineer, QA/QC Engineer, Process Engineer, Package Engineer,Planning Engineer, Cost Engineer, Material Engineer, Corrosion Engineer etc. the list goes on .
you can't regret working as an engineer if you have the passion especially in the oil & gas industry.
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by bebure(m): 10:15am On Jun 30, 2008
@ phattgirl

I'm going to my final year in mechanical engineering. Mechanical Engineering is the most central discipline because it has aspects of every other discipline in it (even software engineering). The head of the systems engineering group at the company I'm doing my placement studied mechanical engineering as did the head of the sofware and electrical groups. If you are going to go into engineering (same goes for any other degree) make sure it's not for money or because your parents want you to but because you are really, really passionate about it or else you'll end up regretting doing the course (which quite a number of people do). I can tell you that my work load at university is way, way, way more than that of my friends doing other courses at the undergraduate level because for one I have coursework every week and then I've always got one project or the other running year round. On the other hand, engineering degrees are widely respected so it would be quite easy for you to get into another field unless you failed your engineering degree or got a bad degree (3rd class). I hope I'm not discouraging you, I'm just trying to share my experiences with you before you make a choice. Also, make sure you learn about how the programme at the university you want to go to is run.

With all that said, I've got a female (Nigerian) friend who is doing a year long placement this year (just like I am) and if anything she gets preferrential treatment from her colleagues who are all white males, so discrimination should not be an issue for you. Just make sure you really enjoy engineering and work hard at school and you'll get there.
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by icezik1(m): 11:11am On Jun 30, 2008
I've been reading through all the posts and I'm surprised no one is mentioning Communication Engineering? It is taught in several Universities in Nigeria under various guises so you have to do some searching to make sure u're doing it. For example, in Covenant University, it's called ICT (Information and Communication Technology). My point is, the Telcommunication market is really huge in Nigeria. Foreign companies are beginning to realise what a gold mine Nigeria is and are all rushing down here. MTN makes almost 30% of it's total profit from Nigeria alone despite being in many countries in Africa and the middle East. Already, Nigeria has many Telecomms companys whom are forced to hire foreign professionals because many Nigerians ain't qualified enough. Huawei, ZTE, D-link and Linksys (which are all Telecom Harware companies) have Nigerian offices in which they're hiring engineers. In fact, D-link plans to open a manufacturing plant later on. We have all the CDMA networks like Starcomms, Visafone, Multilinks and Reltel. And of course, the GSM networks which are MTN, Glo and Celtel. There is going to be a fourth GSM operator, Etisalat, and they are already hiring people. So I'm shocked you guys are ignoring Telecoms!
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by icezik1(m): 11:18am On Jun 30, 2008
As far as Communication Engineering goes, the reason there are so few women, if any at all, is that the women themselves don't actually want to work! What I mean is, it's very rare to see a woman who is ready to go from site to site doing various projects. They'd rather sit in some office than go to the field. This presents a serious problem as most Communication (Network) Engineers do a lot of fieldwork. So if you're going to stray into Telecoms be ready to work.
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by obillyj(f): 2:54am On Jul 01, 2008
hey, you need not exercise any fear as regards being a female engineer cos there are alot of them out there. i for one, am a computer engineer and guess what dearie, it's really fun. why not check out this site, www.apwen.com, it's an orgnization for women engineers in nigeria
. i also want u to know that my school graduated a lot of female engineers in my set and are still doing so, so imagine when u bring all higer instiutions in nigeria together, go for it girly and have fun
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by Wallie(m): 11:51pm On Jul 02, 2008
In the US high tech industry, Electrical Engineers have the most opportunities available to them and, yes, they work in concert with other engineers especially Mechanical. With electrical engineering you can work in almost any field doing substantive related work. On any particular project, we usually have about 10 electrical engineers to 1 mechanical engineer. I think part of the reason is that mechanical-type work is limited to the beginning of the project (design/fabrication stage).

For example, if engineers were to develop a computer from scratch,

System engineers (electrical engineer) will layout the specifications
         Electrical engineers will select and/or design the chips according to spec including power supply
         Mechanical will ensure adequate cooling/hot spot and design of the structure; they might also layout the wiring
         Electrical engineers (computer science) will write the software (think drivers, firmware middleware and application program)
         Electrical engineers will be responsible for integration and testing of the product.

I think the reason why electrical engineers might be in more demand is the fact that the field is so broad. Depending on your first job out of college and the type of electives you took while in school, you can do the work of the following majors:
Computer science
Software engineer
RF engineer
Computer engineering
Communications engineering

I guess what I’m trying to say is that the type of work you do will be more fluid once you get into the field especially if you work for a “do it all” type company. I work with a few people with BS in Mechanical that went on to get their master in electrical.

At least in the US, another option you shouldn’t rule out is getting a law degree after your engineering degree to become a Patent Attorney, which is the route I’m pursuing. Again, even with attorneys, there's more demand for engineers with electrical engineering background than any other engineering.

By the way, I have two female electrical engineers in my family that graduated at the top of their class here in the US. One went back to school to get another degree in the medical field and the other is doing her second masters in management. What I'm trying to say is that you (male or female) could be book smart but you might not like engineering-type work. Whatever field you get into make sure you have a passion for it
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by ophelia: 8:55am On Jul 04, 2008
smileyam proud to be a lady engineer,its rear to see a lady study engineering.once you make ur good grades from school do some certifications such as CCNA,CCNP,or even OSA or OCP,PMP or Prince 2.to attach to your CV ,the sky is your limit.the only thing is to study well so as to meet up with the standard of the guys in the buisness or to become better.i enjoy being a lady engineer.we are not payed less than the male engineers.
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by moshoodn(m): 4:36pm On Jul 04, 2008
That is very scintillating and beautiful.

that would be very 9ice.
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by AkpoJude(m): 1:49am On Jul 06, 2008
Girl
know that I you want to study any of the discipline engineering
You must be up and doing

we do have female professional engineers

And you could become One if your interest is there

Ride on girl You can Be one smiley
Re: Female, Wants To Be An Engineer? by Ivvie: 7:59am On Aug 22, 2008
`

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

6 Simple Tips For Beating Deadlines / Things To Do While Waiting For A Busy Big Man / Aviation Scholarship.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.