Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,236 members, 7,818,792 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! (19460 Views)

How To Link Your BVN To Your UBA Account Without Going To The Bank / GTB Account Issue / Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by Asorwood(m): 4:16pm On Sep 16, 2013
Lmao!!!
Waiting ds Bank do u like ds na!!!
Abeg 4give dem... Cos U've report dem already and we are aware of dae Problem!!
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by Kelvindwaplord(m): 4:18pm On Sep 16, 2013
Good For The Staff , Buh Seriously Who Cares If He Was Sacked...

Hit 'Like' If You Care...lol
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by Temismith(f): 4:18pm On Sep 16, 2013
My condolense to d man dat just lost his job. Pls accept my sympathy.
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by chosen04(f): 4:19pm On Sep 16, 2013
Leopantro: interesting. shows the power of social media

*****shakes head****

This is truly disgusting! Its appalling that same people who cant do anything when the political leaders are stealing the country blind can go at any length to have their fellow ladder-trying-to-climb citizens sacked! Its truly a curse to remain at the ladder bottom with some peeps

What has happened to forgiveness as recommended by our saviour?

Sacked staff! its all your fault! if not, you should have stolen from the bank and climbed far beyond the bottom of the ladder, if that was the case, there is no way this your fellow bottom laddered friends, sorry enemies would have got you sacked.

*****And they develop cold feet when politicians are involved*****
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by Boll2010: 4:19pm On Sep 16, 2013
moscobabs: Is like God they Nairaland oooo.......I will update my experience in this GTB Ogba branch today maybe the lady could be sacked.
lyk seriously Don't misuse the power of ur voice#itCountsBrother!
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by Nobody: 4:27pm On Sep 16, 2013
Okija_juju: OP

I hope you know say you just remove food from person mouth for this our harsh economy...

Anyways.. Sometimes its necessary.

How can I also get somebody sacked at Etisalat biko nu?! Those thieving bastards have stolen over 13thousand Naira in credit from me.. angry

Easy Sir. Go do some abracadabra in your shrine! grin
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by EveryLadY(f): 4:29pm On Sep 16, 2013
ukcars:

There is nothing interesting in someone being sacked

Why do Nigerians have this special gift of leaving the main point in an issue and going for frivolities? We are experts when it comes to majoring in minors. What this whole issue is about is incompetence on the side of the said UBA staff. Now all of us gave our voice in condemnation against his/her action/in-action. Now that penalty measure is served,we are still shouting foul play. Why this terrible disconnect in our way of reasoning?

7 Likes

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by Egbagirl(f): 4:30pm On Sep 16, 2013
chosen04:

*****shakes head****

This is truly disgusting! Its appalling that same people who cant do anything when the political leaders are stealing the country blind can go at any length to have their fellow ladder-trying-to-climb citizens sacked! Its truly a curse to remain at the ladder bottom with some peeps

Sacked staff! its all your fault! if not, you should have stolen from the bank and climbed far beyond the bottom of the ladder, if that was the case, there is no way this your fellow bottom laddered friends, sorry enemies would have got you sacked.

I am not familiar with the story but form what the OP wrote, it seems the customer only came to Nairaland to vent their frustration and not demand that the staff be sacked. It is rather unfortunate that it got to the attention of management. I don't think the customer is to blame for expressing their opinion on something of that nature. It's the same as giving reviews about a product/service (which I think many people find useful).

Now as per the punishment, maybe management should have suspended him/her or whatever but in no way should a customer be blamed for the shortcomings of an employee. It's all about the customer in the business world. Without them, you have no business. Gotta stay on top of your game. It's about time people took customer service in Nigeria seriously!

4 Likes

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by EveryLadY(f): 4:37pm On Sep 16, 2013
chosen04:

*****shakes head****

are u in any way suggesting that the ineptitude of the staff be condoned? Rules are meant to be obeyed and strictly adhered to. Sentiments does not have much place in a well groomed organization please. this is what is killing Nigerian businesses.
And what has banks got to do with politicians? there are structures put in place in all organizations to check mate errant practices, and banks are not one of those structures for political office holders please.

2 Likes

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by naijacutee(f): 4:40pm On Sep 16, 2013
of Nairaland is the best medium to make firms start sitting up on their customer service delivery, then so be it.

To those talking about how it is unfair to be happy that someone loses their job - it is not unfair. What is unfair is for someone who only cares about his pay packet, (not about customers) to occupy a position that thousands of people in the job market would do with a smile on their face, if only they were given the opportunity.

3 Likes

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by sweetponmo(m): 4:44pm On Sep 16, 2013
gboss4sure: Nothing much, banks doesn't allow their customers to be treated badly. One guy @ gtbank was nearly sacked because I sent an email to gtbank stating my frustrations with the customer service. Later on I have to weigh in and apologize on behalf of the guy, dats wot saved him his job
Thanks for saving the guy's job. I hope that you guys have struck the chord of friendship after...
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by cold(m): 4:44pm On Sep 16, 2013
chosen04:

*****shakes head****

Just listen to yourself. You talk about forgiveness,talk about the saviour then go ahead to recommend theft as a panacea to getting sacked. Very Christlike. See why we can't even take you folks seriously

1 Like

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by EveryLadY(f): 4:47pm On Sep 16, 2013
Egba girl:

I am not familiar with the story but form what the OP wrote, it seems the customer only came to Nairaland to vent their frustration and not demand that the staff be sacked. It is rather unfortunate that it got to the attention of management. I don't think the customer is to blame for expressing their opinion on something of that nature. It's the same as giving reviews about a product/service (which I think many people find useful).

Now as per the punishment, maybe management should have suspended him/her or whatever but in no way should a customer be blamed for the shortcomings of an employee. It's all about the customer in the business world. Without them, you have no business. Gotta stay on top of your game. It's about time people took customer service in Nigeria seriously!

tanx soo much for giving clarity to some of our peep.meanwhile nothing in this post suggested the staff has not been warned b4.we all know how these things works.
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by doctokwus: 4:48pm On Sep 16, 2013
First,didn't see d word sack in d article frm uba d op quoted,unless it was a typo.
Secondly,if every staff of an institution shud b sacked for poor attitude to work,both in public& private sectors,den,less dan 50% of nigerians wud b keeping a job.Those commending d bank for its so called prompt response are conveniently also overlooking d fact dat d employee's right may av been infringed upon if he was summarily dismissed w/o hearing his own side of d tale& giving him appropriate compensation as regards to his employment.No organisation worth its salt summarises dismisses its employees without going thru d route of query-reappraisal-suspension-sack.Walk into any bank,right frm d gateman to d manager& u wud conclude dat if weighed on d same scale as d dismissed employee,den many banks in nigeria wud b shortstaffed.
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by sweetponmo(m): 4:48pm On Sep 16, 2013
gboss4sure: Nothing much, banks doesn't allow their customers to be treated badly. One guy @ gtbank was nearly sacked because I sent an email to gtbank stating my frustrations with the customer service. Later on I have to weigh in and apologize on behalf of the guy, dats wot saved him his job
Thanks for saving the guy's job. He would be grateful to you...
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by Leopantro: 4:51pm On Sep 16, 2013
believe me, if you have been at the receiving end of an obnoxious egotist bank staff, you will understand my comment. I have suffered under such staff, especially in regards to UBA. i hate uba so much that if I have to send money to anyone and the person mentions UBA, I will demand for another bank account or the person will come and pick up the money in person. some years back, UBA sent their staffs to our company to encourage us to use their services. the angry way I responded to them, people had to hold me back. It's not the bank itself that caused it, it's their staff. they have lost a customer and I would do everything to convince anyone else not to use their services.

now imagine the same effect of that one staff on ten customers in a day, multiplied by 7 days and understand the negative effect it would have. I however believe they would have suspended him and made him go through customer satisfaction classes again but I don't own the company. he now knows that it is the same customer you disregard that provides food on the table.

2 Likes

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by ukcars: 4:52pm On Sep 16, 2013
UBA: What's Killing Your Great Brand?- READ HOW UBA HANDLED THE ISSUE BELOW

https://www.nairaland.com/1418785/uba-whats-killing-great-brand
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by Acidosis(m): 4:53pm On Sep 16, 2013
I will readily fire and re-fire any dum.p individual..

My own case with UBA is a laughable one...

but I will let it 'slide' before the pitiable-pitiful online dum.b follks harrass me with their constant pitiable display of useless 'pity'.
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by Nutase: 4:58pm On Sep 16, 2013
Remember the world rotates ......what goes around comes around. The guy has lost his job and some people are rejoicing over it. It could have been any of us. Think of his family and all his dependants. They are all back to square one. If u have worked in a big organisation you will understand what some of these poor staff go through. The organisation employs one to do the work of five in the name of cost cutting. It is not possible to avoid these kinds of errors in such circumstances. The real problem lies with the organisations but they always look for a scape goat to punish for their wicked acts.
Empathy is what we lack on this thread cos if you have never been in someone's shoes you would never know where it pinches. UBA should address their staff shortages if they want these kind of problems to stop.
May God help us all.

1 Like

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by Acidosis(m): 5:03pm On Sep 16, 2013
Leopantro: believe me, if you have been at the receiving end of an obnoxious egotist bank staff, you will understand my comment. I have suffered under such staff, especially in regards to UBA. i hate uba so much that if I have to send money to anyone and the person mentions UBA, I will demand for another bank account or the person will come and pick up the money in person. some years back, UBA sent their staffs to our company to encourage us to use their services. the angry way I responded to them, people had to hold me back. It's not the bank itself that caused it, it's their staff. they have lost a customer and I would do everything to convince anyone else not to use their services.

now imagine the same effect of that one staff on ten customers in a day, multiplied by 7 days and understand the negative effect it would have. I however believe they would have suspended him and made him go through customer satisfaction classes again but I don't own the company. he now knows that it is the same customer you disregard that provides food on the table.

My brother..

The greatest life mistake I made recently was opening an account with UBA.

After 7 working days of opening an account without an "account number", then I realised how f00lish I was for running away from the usual crowd in other banks..

7 days after opening an account with them, I wanted a permanent closure of the account and all my details on their database..

Till now, I still they vex..
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by kulex2k1(m): 5:04pm On Sep 16, 2013
eyoiba: I know you all still remember how a Nairalander dissatisfied with how he was treated at one of the UBA Branches took to the forum to express his frustration while trying to open an account with the Bank.

Well, when I got home I discussed the issue with a neighbor of mine who is a staff of UBA and also a Nairalander. He told me he has also seen the post and was very sad about the incident, that was on Thursday, 12 of September.

I got a call from him this morning that the bank’s Management got know about the issue posted on Nairaland (some UBA staff who are member of this forum promised to take up this issue and I guess they did) and the matter was investigated and the CSO (the guy that collected the account opening form from the Nairalander without doing anything) has been sacked and the BOM (the senior officer whom the CSO referred the Nairalander to) was placed on one month suspension without pay.

I didn’t believe it until my neighbor sent a clip of the weekly in house newsletter where the issue was reported (See below).

Though Nairaland was not mentioned in the article, but you will know that the case is the same as the one posted on Nairaland. Most of the time the Management don’t know what is happening at the branch level considering the size of an organization like UBA and some staff just act as they please even though the management frowns on issues like this especially when the Management is making strong efforts to reposition the Bank as a quality service provider .

I commend UBA for listening to the public perception of their services and taking immediate step to punishing the erring staff. This is shows the undeniable great influence Nairaland has on our society. Nairalanders, I hail thee!!! Afi igba te je ki she bo lowo bobo yen! (Your efforts led to the sacking of the guy!)
Below is the article:

I just hope d guy doesnt know where to find you....lol
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by DexxyAlebs(m): 5:04pm On Sep 16, 2013
point5: Interestin..but such treatmnt shud also go for most silly staff of First Bank Nig.PLC,,dey sob a lot..
dey can para for u ehn
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by gulfer: 5:05pm On Sep 16, 2013
What if the sacked staff turn out to be a Nairalander as well, and decides to post the story of his sack here? I am sure we will all have sympathy to express. This case should make all NLders irrespective of what sector we work and where to sit up. undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by Acidosis(m): 5:07pm On Sep 16, 2013
Nutase: Remember the world rotates ......what goes around comes around. The guy has lost his job and some people are rejoicing over it. It could have been any of us. Think of his family and all his dependants. They are all back to square one.
May God help us all.

Instead of displaying the usual life of pity.. Why not employ the man? Give him a job in your company..

This is not a civil service job where some of you even run away from your office to party in the village for days and weeks..

1 Like

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by Mexyz(m): 5:07pm On Sep 16, 2013
Ok...later u guys wl cme here nd start shoutn unemployment nd blaming Gej. We re busy getn those dat ve jobs out of their positions thereby increasn dse in the labour market.

1 Like

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by Exponental(m): 5:10pm On Sep 16, 2013
ukcars:

I'm not really happy about d sack thing but truly, when u feel d hit, u will react.
Let me share my fiancee's experience with this same UBA some yrs back:
she was to pay a token of 2k to a relative who urgently needed d cash. She got to d bank @ abt 3.57pm (by her own time) n was told its 4pm. She begged but it fell into deaf ears. Some minutes after 4, she saw someone coming out (but within d compound), she explained to d person n handed over d cash to him to help deposit (on trust). Lo n behold, d security went into d banking hall, explained to d tellers, n he was denied payment. He returned d cash angrily n she left d bank disappointed. That was d reason she closed her account with UBA. Her phobia for d bank has grown dat she cant even apply for a job there.
If u were in her shoes, what would be ur reactions?
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by Acidosis(m): 5:17pm On Sep 16, 2013
Exponental:
I'm not really happy about d sack thing but truly, when u feel d hit, u will react.
Let me share my fiancee's experience with this same UBA some yrs back:
she was to pay a token of 2k to a relative who urgently needed d cash. She got to d bank @ abt 3.57pm (by her own time) n was told its 4pm. She begged but it fell into deaf ears. Some minutes after 4, she saw someone coming out (but within d compound), she explained to d person n handed over d cash to him to help deposit (on trust). Lo n behold, d security went into d banking hall, explained to d tellers, n he was denied payment. He returned d cash angrily n she left d bank disappointed. That was d reason she closed her account with UBA. Her phobia for d bank has grown dat she cant even apply for a job there.
If u were in her shoes, what would be ur reactions?

If I were in her shoes, I'd go and deposit the money some hours before 4pm

2 Likes

Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by kunlesehan(m): 5:35pm On Sep 16, 2013
medicine after death.
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by adconline(m): 5:37pm On Sep 16, 2013
ukcars:

It's more interesting to sack someone for incompetence!
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by ngwaba(m): 5:57pm On Sep 16, 2013
Na lie joor
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by An0nimus: 6:03pm On Sep 16, 2013
@OP so your neighbour shares his workplace's 'inhouse' newsletter with you? undecided. why do I keep getting this feeling this is some publicity stunt?
Re: Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! by Osogagba(m): 6:17pm On Sep 16, 2013
Nonsense. Did you follow the original post? Did you see how long it took the guy to sit on his butt while doing absolutely nothing about facilitating the opening of the said domiciliary account after all the requested documents had been submitted? Did you note his maddening indifference to the customer who confessed her frustrations and stated that only the fact that she stutters when angry prevented her from a verbal confrontation of the guy there? And what makes you think the guy had not been trained, even repeatedly, by the bank on appropriate customer service and yet he persisted in treating his customers shabbily? I think he had his sack, honestly. The damage to his employer's reputation caused by his carelessness is unquatifiable. His departure can only be a timely warning for others of his ilk within and without the bank that there will always be consequences. In this country people have literally gotten away with murder for too long. Time all that is checked.

t
AjanleKoko: It was wrong of UBA to fire that employee in my view.

It's not just about sacking someone. Companies in Nigeria need to do a lot more to train their staff on customer service.
This one sounds like eye service/scape-goating to me. It's not only about paying people lots of money, but instilling the right attitude through training in the employees. That one person was sacked does not mean someone else will not do worse next time. Even worse, it reinforces a negative attitude in the other staff members.

Punitive action is fine, but not firing. Are they going to fire someone every time there is a complaint? Why not be proactive and train employees, develop customer service KPIs, and monitor the customer interfaces for compliance?
Typical Naija draconian approach angry

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

One-stop-shop POS Machine to make money/Your digital service supermarket / Walmart In Nigeria / The Central Bank Of Nigeria - Owned And Controlled By 'the Rothschilds'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.