Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,130 members, 7,821,868 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:29 PM

Yar’adua Declares War On Militants - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yar’adua Declares War On Militants (8732 Views)

Pipeline Bombings: Soldiers Declare War On Militants, Comb Creeks / Gov Ganduje Declares War On Kwankwaso / Adesola Amosu Declares War On South-south Militants,Orders Air Bombing Of Creeks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by blackchief(m): 4:46pm On Jul 01, 2008
We have try peace, reconciliation meeting, master plan development, Niger delta development commission (NDDC)release of criminals (what the Americans would call a terrorist) etc but no result. it is time we try the military option after all we are paying the Army for fighting other people's fight, is time we use them for our who problems.
Mr president right step in the right direction.

my own view.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by otokx(m): 4:51pm On Jul 01, 2008
When you reconcile politicians and release criminals; how will that bring development? Considering the fact that the militants bought their weaponry straight from the army armory in Kaduna then you should know that those soldiers will surely meet an untimely end in watery graves.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by 1luvkipsus: 5:48pm On Jul 01, 2008
Toothless president.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by Sammy107d(m): 8:38am On Jul 02, 2008
its been ages since this militant thing has been on. i understand the militants plight, but i feel they are stubborn and over-reactive. it's about time this ends already. it's a whole federal government they r up against. And i believe the government has tried negotiating. im with yaradua on this one and i hope its turns out well. violence is never the way but,  undecided
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by youngies(m): 10:48am On Jul 02, 2008
I dont care about peace in the ND, all I want is justice for the ND people. Peace doesn't necessarily mean absence of war, but presence of justice.

How I wish all the oil platforms both onshore and offshore will be blown into pieces and bring the Nigerian State to its ugly knees, only then will they know that there cannot be peace without justice. cool
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by sherrylo: 6:04pm On Jul 03, 2008
Youngies, so you think if they blew the oil platforms up that will bring Nigeria to its knees? boy sorry!. Certainly it would affect the economy but my dear not ruin it. Oil came and if oil went,Nigeria will remain. All we will have to do is open our eyes to other resourses we have which are abundant, atleast so many Nations without oil are triving
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by drnonye(m): 12:11am On Jul 04, 2008
Hi
iseobio no disrespect, but i believe u should listen to Sky Blue. It is not rocket science to figure out that those so called 'freedom fighters' r bunch of criminals. I total agree the people in general have every reason to be angry, but carrying arms is unacceptable. What kind of image r they trying to display. They are no better than the terrorists we see in Iraq and Afghanistan. Why don’t they tailor their anger to the state government? Moneys given to the state and local government are published. Why don’t they hold them accountable rather than acting like bunch of illiterates killing, kidnapping and raping innocent people? I believe the catch is the oil. Their aim is to break up Nigeria so they can own the oil. Even if they succeed, I see destruction amongst them selves. They r lucky i am not the president. I would make sure they never live to hurt any body again.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by Wallie(m): 9:23pm On Jul 06, 2008
I think the Niger Deltans have a legitimate issue of underdevelopment and the issue was exacerbated by their corrupt leaders (although corruption is not limited to just their leaders). I also don’t think that they will lay down their weapons and settle for whatever the government gives them, even if it is the greater control they seek, because they can make a lot more from illegal bunkering.

You can’t let people take the law into their own hands no matter the cause because all you’re going to end up with is chaos.

I don’t know what the constitution says about declaring state of emergency but assuming it can be done, my solution will be as follows:

I’ll declare a state of emergency in the Niger delta region and appoint a military administrator to take control of the region. Then I’ll bring in consultants to evaluate the area and suggest how to make the area self-sustainable. Then I’ll pump money into the area and turn it into a modern city. The money will come from the PTF.

But since corruption and mismanagement runs through the blood of our leaders, I’ll appoint 3 separate completely independent oversight committees with each of them having conflicting interest. Committee 1 will be the one awarding the contract while committee 2 will be responsible for monitoring the appointment and development of the project. Committee 3 will be responsible for watching committees 1 & 2. The name of the game will be micro-managing; weekly substantive updates by all 3 committees to the president.

Also in order to bid for a contract, you have to demonstrate proficiency along with previous verifiable experience in that particular area. NO more contract to general contractors who know absolutely nothing about what they’re bidding on.

Punishment: Since the area is under state of emergency, anybody caught defrauding the government if proven by a special tribunal will bag an automatic 10 years in Kirikiri including forfeiture of their personal property even though it was acquired before bidding on the contract. Any committee member caught colluding with contractors or being derelict of their duty will bag an automatic 8 year jail term. This will be the ground rules before anybody bids for contracts or vie for the committee member position. Oh… you also have to submit your passport and will only get it back after being certified by the committee as completed.

I know that my suggestion seems archaic and undemocratic but I believe for development to happen in that area as soon as possible, people need to be held accountable with REAL serious consequences.

By the way, my reason for suggesting a state of emergency rule is to bypass the normal process of the law because drastic times call for drastic measures.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by KukuraontheMove(m): 11:25pm On Jul 06, 2008
SkyBlue, you are being mischievous with your line of argument. Edwin Madunagu( I hope I got the surname right) wrote in the Guardian some years ago and posited that all the authentic leaders of the Niger Delta that have tried to better the lot of their people by negotiating with the Nigerian govt, have always ended under six feet.
You do not negotiate with thieves and robbers! That is what they are. They see the nigerian project, if indeed it can be defined as such as a well acquired for their thirst. Plans are made on how to loot and covertracks if necessary!
Rather than pure violence, an analysis of the baseline conditions should be done, strategies for moving forward, players involved, know the reactionary characters that are within the context of the situation, detractors, identify and encourage authentic leaders, identify the frauds and make it hell on earth for them, identify thecriminal elements and ensure that they are set up and handed over e.g. child kidnappers,
A review of the situation with a commitment to move forward.
People like skyblue and others who have never set foot in the niger delta should please not insult the years of silence and patience of this long-suffering people and their justified demand to get a share of what actually belongs to them. The leaders are a reflection of the country and its rabid leadership that foisted false opportunistic leaders on the people. When they do realise this and take action they are called odious names. Remember the 4 vultures of ogoni land? Thats one of the excuses that was used to kill Ken saro-wiwa. Find out.
If we should find out now in the case of skyblue, his LG chairman is supposed to have done certain projects, but left them undone, nothing happens, the insincere leaders are only in the niger delta because they are given such huge sums of money to perform and they fritter it away, Please go and clean up your own stinking kitchen!
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by KukuraontheMove(m): 11:28pm On Jul 06, 2008
Sherry Lo,
As arrogant as the ones that have been there in power, If you had all these resources , why did you leave and face oil? In the 50s and 60s, what was the derivation formula? Idiots!
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by KukuraontheMove(m): 11:49pm On Jul 06, 2008
The hypocrisy of Nigerians is only equalled by their cowardice and refusal to take the appropriate steps to stop the injustice and genocide the people have suffered under the so-called union of Nigeria.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by kingdong(m): 12:08am On Jul 07, 2008
Wallie:

I think the Niger Deltans have a legitimate issue of underdevelopment and the issue was exacerbated by their corrupt leaders (although corruption is not limited to just their leaders). I also don’t think that they will lay down their weapons and settle for whatever the government gives them, even if it is the greater control they seek, because they can make a lot more from illegal bunkering.

You can’t let people take the law into their own hands no matter the cause because all you’re going to end up with is chaos.
I don’t know what the constitution says about declaring state of emergency but assuming it can be done, my solution will be as follows:

I’ll declare a state of emergency in the Niger delta region and appoint a military administrator to take control of the region. Then I’ll bring in consultants to evaluate the area and suggest how to make the area self-sustainable. Then I’ll pump money into the area and turn it into a modern city. The money will come from the PTF.

But since corruption and mismanagement runs through the blood of our leaders, I’ll appoint 3 separate completely independent oversight committees with each of them having conflicting interest. Committee 1 will be the one awarding the contract while committee 2 will be responsible for monitoring the appointment and development of the project. Committee 3 will be responsible for watching committees 1 & 2. The name of the game will be micro-managing; weekly substantive updates by all 3 committees to the president.

Also in order to bid for a contract, you have to demonstrate proficiency along with previous verifiable experience in that particular area. NO more contract to general contractors who know absolutely nothing about what they’re bidding on.

Punishment: Since the area is under state of emergency, anybody caught defrauding the government if proven by a special tribunal will bag an automatic 10 years in Kirikiri including forfeiture of their personal property even though it was acquired before bidding on the contract. Any committee member caught colluding with contractors or being derelict of their duty will bag an automatic 8 year jail term. This will be the ground rules before anybody bids for contracts or vie for the committee member position. Oh… you also have to submit your passport and will only get it back after being certified by the committee as completed.

I know that my suggestion seems archaic and undemocratic but I believe for development to happen in that area as soon as possible, people need to be held accountable with REAL serious consequences.
By the way, my reason for suggesting a state of emergency rule is to bypass the normal process of the law because drastic times call for drastic measures.

Niger Delta is experiencing hell in everyway (enviromentally, physically, materially and even spiritually)  in return for nature's abundance thanks to years of neglect born out of capitalistic curruption and senselessness of leadership on all levels, from chiefs, traditional rulers, councillors, l.g chairmen, reps, governors allll the way to abuja, Now the people shouldn't just sit back and watch all this injustices going on so through time the Saro-wiwas and co have stood to fight for justice and equity with some positive results though insufficient when you consider that it cost them their lives and and yet things did not change for the better. So a new type of freedom fighter came on board who though they have evolved into all manners of opportunistic criminals and all what nots with active support and empowerment by our so-called leaders have also brought badly needed attention to the plight of the people.

Now we are dealing with multiple problems here, the deprivation and impoverishment of the people and the degradation of their enviroment, deriving from inept and corrupt leadership which empowers socially irresponsible multinational oil companies  and of course the criminal millitants and cultists.

If you are going to solve the problems (multiple) of this region by going to war with the millitants and ignoring other aspects then success will definitely not endure and the area will be under continous military siege. And this is no way for the people to live hence the need for a multi prong approach to the problem which requires a whole lot of sincerity and political will which i am sad to say i personally do not see this government as possessing .

So which way Niger Delta? I ordinarily would sbscribe to what Wallie proposes with a few adjustments here and there but it requires massive political will and of course deep sincerity. So for now thats a zero and even then those fuckas are not listening. And like someone said they (the evil fuckas) are proposing the military option only so that there will be undisturbed churning up of crude dollars into theirs and their croonies swiss accounts wwith whatever is left tricking into asorock and maybe a drop will get to the people whose degraded region produces the oil.

That tells you that we the poor people of the niger delta are caught between the devil (abuuja) and the deep blue sea (criminal millitants) The devil has absolutely nothing to offer but you can still fish inthe sea. i mean these people are part and parcel of the region so at all at all something must everly drop directly or indirectly into the local village economy while the abuja people globetrot buying up choice real estate in qatar, dubai and the west.
Sad story for nigeria as a whole. But me feels someway sha, e go (must) beta,
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by SkyBlue1: 1:19am On Jul 07, 2008
Kukura on the Move:

SkyBlue, you are being mischievous with your line of argument. Edwin Madunagu( I hope I got the surname right) wrote in the Guardian some years ago and posited that all the authentic leaders of the Niger Delta that have tried to better the lot of their people by negotiating with the Nigerian govt, have always ended under six feet.
You do not negotiate with thieves and robbers! That is what they are. They see the nigerian project, if indeed it can be defined as such as a well acquired for their thirst. Plans are made on how to loot and covertracks if necessary!
Rather than pure violence, an analysis of the baseline conditions should be done, strategies for moving forward, players involved, know the reactionary characters that are within the context of the situation, detractors, identify and encourage authentic leaders, identify the frauds and make it hell on earth for them, identify thecriminal elements and ensure that they are set up and handed over e.g. child kidnappers,
A review of the situation with a commitment to move forward.
People like skyblue and others who have never set foot in the niger delta should please not insult the years of silence and patience of this long-suffering people and their justified demand to get a share of what actually belongs to them. The leaders are a reflection of the country and its rabid leadership that foisted false opportunistic leaders on the people. When they do realise this and take action they are called odious names. Remember the 4 vultures of ogoni land? Thats one of the excuses that was used to kill Ken saro-wiwa. Find out.
If we should find out now in the case of skyblue, his LG chairman is supposed to have done certain projects, but left them undone, nothing happens, the insincere leaders are only in the niger delta because they are given such huge sums of money to perform and they fritter it away, Please go and clean up your own stinking kitchen!

@Kukura how do you know whether i have never set foot in the Niger Delta? What exactly do you know about me? So because i don't agree with you i don't know what i am talking about? Whatever you want to believe, i won't go through exhaustive lengths to argue anymore about such (no disrespect to you). So who are the "real" leaders that Edwin Clark speaks of and if Peter Odili and co were not the "real" leaders why were they supported so much by the traditional "rulers" who are mostly nothing but a shame? Is Edwin Clark not a traditional ruler? How many chieftancy titles did Peter Odili obtain or are this all from "fake" traditional leaders? Are these traditional leaders who were collecting "allowance" also "fake" leaders? All i need to say on this i have said i will not repeat myself. If you choose to dismiss my arguement even after not knowing anything about me and say it is mischevious without towing any debate, whatever, i am not offended or moved by such and don't need such validation. Have a nice day.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by otokx(m): 2:01pm On Jul 07, 2008
thats the problem, very few role model niger delta leaders who are not out to enrich themselves hence everybody is now doing his own thing.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by sherrylo: 6:06pm On Jul 07, 2008
@Kukura I feel you. Straight attack, you go soon turn terrorist stupid child.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by dayokanu(m): 9:23pm On Jul 07, 2008
Governor Fashola is speedily transforming Lagos State with his own Ideas with less that the income of Bayelsa, Delta and Rivers In a few year time Niger Delta would come to Lagos See the beauty and decide to blow it up because their own leaders have been irresponsible all the while . Who is to blame for that?

Can anyone deny that Niger Delta states have received more allocation than any part of the country?

Can anyone deny the Niger delta Indegenes get scholarships in Universities to aid them in their studies which other parts of the country do not get?

Can anyone deny that NDDC , OMPADEC and those organs have been funded by government and headed by Niger Deltans all the while?

Can anyone deny that Oil companies have community slots for indegenes of oil producing states?

Has anyone ever heard of Hamas or Hizbollah kidnapping and demanding for Monetary Ransom from Israel?

Can anyone deny that a Niger Delta man is the number 2 man in Nigeria is a Niger Deltan? They said he is a social prefect Just stay there till the man becomes president in 2015.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by kosovo(m): 9:29pm On Jul 07, 2008
war? lol.
yar adua WAKE UP!
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by Danoe(m): 12:45pm On Jul 09, 2008
This message was sent to my MTN line from an MTN line 0866226858 it reads " We ar angry boys. U have not given us anything before. Give us something peacefully. We know u well and we have been watching u. We are angry.

Could this be militant or cowards! who do not want to be part of the nation building by choosing a legitimate work to do?

All Nigerians should support our President towards this challenge of fighting this lazy militants out of our system.

Say no to illegal Militants!!
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by otokx(m): 10:03am On Jul 10, 2008
Which one come be legal militants?
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by skolche: 11:25am On Jul 10, 2008
i think they are taking the struggle too far and are beginning to lose public sympathy. there are better approaches to resolving the issues. they should be stopped 'cos all they now cause are pains while they enrich themselves
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by otokx(m): 3:24pm On Jul 10, 2008
what has public sympathy achieved? if you say they are loosing the support of the indigenes of the devastated communities then you make score a point. By the way are you referring to the criminal kidnappers or the militants?
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by CyberG: 9:17pm On Jul 14, 2008
Yaradua, generally Nigerian Leadership, is the most stupid thing that ever happened in this whole world, quote me!! There's no proof of any sense in the black man, what a shame?

Way forward, let Yaradua get some clue by following the constitution: let each state be truly independent and pay taxes to the Federal Government. Let each state in Nigeria generate their own power, provide their own security, draw a master plan for their states, provide their own water supply, provide social welfare and security for their people, build and maintain their own roads, develop their own infrastructure and COMPETE with each other and create trade and business opportunities among other states. This is the ONLY true way to develop Nigeria and forget that stupid VISION 2020 deception he is mouthing like a retarded lunatic.

Anything less than this is a waste of time and resources. Each state in Nigeria is capable to develop and sustain itself. This way, no one gets free handouts of money from Oil producing areas while some do nothing, contribute nothing but steal the country blind! Until this is done, SHAME ON YARADUA, SHAME ON NIGERIAN LEADERSHIP AT ALL LEVELS, SHAME ON NIGERIANS WHO CANNOT SEE THE TRUTH AND ACT ON IT IN GOOD FAITH.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by drnonye(m): 12:48pm On Jul 26, 2008
CyberG your point is valid but u and i know it will not work in Nigeria. Maybe we have a pathological problem in corruption. Give a state power 2 run its affairs and u will see the story of animal farm. They will oppress their people with militants and pay the military 2 b quiet. Working out the solution 4 Nigeria is possible but it may not b in our time.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by otokx(m): 2:12pm On Jul 26, 2008
Nigeria will be great in our time.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by drnonye(m): 1:37am On Jul 29, 2008
otokx i love your spirit. Do me a favour. Go out 2day and ask any1 u see on the street, if they would accumulate illegal wealth if given the opportunity. U will be amazed how deep our corruption is. Even if they say they will not, their family will b disappointed with them. No doubt Nigeria will get better but not in our time
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by CyberG: 2:25am On Jul 29, 2008
CyberG your point is valid but u and i know it will not work in Nigeria. Maybe we have a pathological problem in corruption. Give a state power 2 run its affairs and u will see the story of animal farm. They will oppress their people with militants and pay the military 2 b quiet. Working out the solution 4 Nigeria is possible but it may not b in our time.

otokx i love your spirit. Do me a favour. Go out 2day and ask anyone u see on the street, if they would accumulate illegal wealth if given the opportunity. You will be amazed how deep our corruption is. Even if they say they will not, their family will b disappointed with them. No doubt Nigeria will get better but not in our time

It is the kind of thinking suggested by drnonye that has destroyed Nigeria and will forever hold us as a people down forever! What is the rationale behind the thinking that ", Nigeria will get better but not in our time, "? I am unable to find the most extreme adjectives to describe this kind of "gutter-type" thinking! So, if the elders who the young ones ought to look-up to fail so miserably, and now "we" (this generation) also admit that Nigeria will not be good in our time, what magic will make it better in several generations from now? Haven't you ever considered that the progressive countries of the world derive inspiration from their "founding fathers" or their leaders and now, each new generation does its beat by improving on the legacy of their fathers??

Now, it seems that there's almost no limit to the advancement and developments of these countries, and whatever things they do, it might take a long time, but they achieve it! The "it is NOT POSSIBLE" kind of thinking that you suggested has no place here, so any wonder why Nigeria WILL NEVER PROGRESS for as long as we think this way? I am aware that a major percentage of Nigerians think this way, hence, we can never catchup with  any progressive country of the world in even the most basic things! What a shame!

My poser: would you as a man run your personal life or your own family in a way that you have never seen any progressive changes till you are almost 50 years and you refuse to make no changes? In fact, make radical changes and try another persons point of view? So, when Nigeria is stuck in the dark ages without making any changes, ever wonder why there's a multitude of problems in Nigeria? I have lived in Nigeria and traveled quite extensively within that country so I know what is Nigeria is like right now. I was home for my vacation barely a month ago and I can tell you that Nigeria will make NO progress with your kind of thinking.

Only if Nigeria will have ONE true leader who can inspire us (Nigerians) to dream and believe in ourselves again, a leader who has true vision and the political will to make changes, not an IDIOT that keeps mouthing a meaningless and useless 7-point agenda, a leader who is not consumed by greed and lustful desires for filthy lucre, a leader who puts the people first and who rekindles the patriotic zeal of his people, a leader who not only leads but himself "sits" on the shoulders of past successful world leaders and hence can see even much farther, a leader who pours all of himself and all our resources into the system to create the kind of robust systems that runs efficiently giving equal opportunity to all, a leader that builds young leaders at all levels who will be more than capable to take the baton of leadership and run much faster and more efficiently than he could in his lifetime, a leader that encourages fair and healthy competition within Nigeria: state-to-state, local-government-to-local government, company-to-company, school-to-school, person-to-person will succeed in creating a Nigeria that can become truly competitive with other countries in Africa and the world. That will be the TRUE father of a MODERN Nigeria. Until then, let us "upgrade" our thinking because Nigeria would never rise with base, mediocre, defeatist and IMPOSSIBILITY mentality with which it seems to have been afflicted.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by drnonye(m): 8:06pm On Aug 04, 2008
CyberG, i read your very very long reply. When do u have the time to write all that. Anyways regards your comments, may b I am just been realist rather than optimistic. I will not enter in2 an augment battle wit u. let time be the judge

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

We’ll Return Nigeria To Good Old Days Of Accountability – Buhari / . / Hamisu Chidari Emerges New Speaker Kano House Of Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.