Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,364 members, 7,815,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:08 PM

Yar’adua Declares War On Militants - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yar’adua Declares War On Militants (8724 Views)

Pipeline Bombings: Soldiers Declare War On Militants, Comb Creeks / Gov Ganduje Declares War On Kwankwaso / Adesola Amosu Declares War On South-south Militants,Orders Air Bombing Of Creeks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by Gbosko: 6:04pm On Jun 25, 2008
@Youngies,

Now that you seem to know so much about the ND region (your long endless threads suggests that), what would you profer as the right thing for a responsible government to do at the point in time?
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by IykeD1(m): 6:27pm On Jun 25, 2008
The Nigerian state doesn't really take the Niger Delta issue serious which is why things
have gotten out of hand. The off-handed manner, and the lack of sensitivity with which
Nigeria treats the Niger Delta affair is really what angers people of that region and as long
they continue to perceive that "outsiders" are the ones running affairs of the cash cow
of the country, this agitation/criminality will continue.

The Nigerian government as usual is without any direction, imagine someone suggesting
Gambari's name to head a Niger Delta peace summit? How insensitive? Do people honestly
think the Niger Delta people are that dumb? I guess that's what happens when one group
is so used to calling the shots or when they feel they have to manage anything at all that
has to do with oil in Nigeria.

Of course, there is a criminal element to the Niger Delta struggle. Of course, the states have
gotten a bit more allocations than in the past and there isn't much to show for it on the ground.
Of course, the "militants" have kidnapped babies and expats, so they are all bad people and
should be dealt with full force of the Nigerian military.

If this so-called war is escalated by the government, then the rest of the country need to sit back
for a very rocky ride. If you guys are thinking just send the armed forces and they will wipe them
out in a month, you are seriously mistaken.

The militants will "almost" bring Nigeria to its knees. Angola is now producing more oil than
Nigeria and by the time the militants are done, Nigeria may not even produce enough to be an
OPEC nation. It will be a guerrilla affair and all the militants have to do to win is hit a few oil
facilities here and there in a protracted manner.

Wrong move, right move? Only time will tell. While a lot of deprived and innocent Niger Delta
people may lose their lives (trust Nigerian army's recklessness), the rest of the country will also
pay a very steep price for tacitly supporting the neglect that has been going in the Niger Delta.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by Beline(f): 6:36pm On Jun 25, 2008
alexleo:

I do not see any need why people should abuse Yaradua for his actions. Mind you he is the president of this country and deserve to be honoured at least for the sake of that office. Niger delta millitants have pushed this country to the wall and this is the way the deserve to be treated so i see nothing wrong in what Yaradua did. By the way who says a amn will not reap what he sowed? Of course we wont forget in a hurry how the Niger people betrayed their brothers, the igbos during the work and took our hard earned properties in the name of "abandoned property". They are reaping the fruits they sowed. The north deceived them intop supporting them but today have realised rather late that the north has cheated them all this while. And igbos are still better off. All those properties they took from us illegally, today we have bought them back from them thats why it seems Ph is filled with igbos. They only have to appologise to us. Gowon has done his own on behalf of the north. Thats the only way they will prosper.

Has bad leaders not pushed the citizens to the wall? and what office are you talking about?
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by totalfact(m): 7:09pm On Jun 25, 2008
how true is this epistle
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by Jakumo(m): 7:21pm On Jun 25, 2008
Right now as we speak there is in progress a ferocious exchange of machine gun and mortar fire between the Nigerian federal forces and militants in the swamps of the Niger Delta. Significant body counts are claimed by both sides. A new stage of the conflict is being reached today at this very moment.

The oil fields of Nigeria have become its killing fields, and it doesn't take a degree in economics to guess at what will ensue if all Nigeria's oil exports are choked off as is being threatened by the militants.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by Okejazz(m): 7:53pm On Jun 25, 2008
youngies:

There is no confusion of who rules the country, Yaradua to be exact. But who leads the country? Is Yaradua showing leadership? I'm sorry you are going to worry more if your only concern is that the country is losing millions of dollars. Soon there will be nothing to lose, because those "crooks" will be making it very difficult for the Nigerian State to continue stealing their oil,

Dude, your writing reflects the anatomy of your deranged divisive reasoning. But first, I'll remind u that Nigeria's natural resources isn't a right to inheritance of lazy faceless thieves cowardly hiding behind black veils causing rawkus in their communities. As a president of the country it is incumbent of Yaradua to control and contain the situation at hand in the interest of Nigeria as a Federation----nothing to do with small boys (youngies) in the delta. Therefore brace yourselves or MAN UP and get a real job.

What is the definition of a Freedom fighter? Where is the UN Freedom Fighting Chatter? Dude if you don't have anything meaningful to say, why not continue sipping your coffee than ridicule yourself in a public forum,

You look that up phoney baloney Freedom fighter and tell us if it entails raping women, killing at will and demanding ransoms from foreigners.  Put yourself in the position of the voiceless minorities in your community and imagine that was your own very mother that was raped or killed under the thwarted perogative of sick men really fighting for bigger pockets. You have exactly no point here bro---  

Yaradua should roll in the tanks and the troopers and get them crushed? You are a [b]neophite in conflict resolution and management.
You can only say this because you have managed to smuggle yourself into another man's country.

[/b]

Resolving this conflict is quite easy----It's Nigeria's way or the highway for one. It could entail creating more jobs in the Niger delta, it also could involve community development through social amenities, good roads, state of art hospitals, etc. But it is hypocritical of the militants to stage as freedom fighters when nothings shows real and true development in their communities with the ill-gotten monies from ransoms to innocent fishermen, expats, pepper sellers, and the rest . Rather, they buy more arms and recruit more ex-cons. This emanates their tainted mindsets and an encounter where men will be men while the boys live up to tell of their history is just necessary.

GUN TALK
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by SENATORJD(m): 8:58am On Jun 26, 2008
Okejazz:

Rather, they buy more arms and recruit more ex-cons.
and they complain there is no development? Cant they channel such monies into productive usage?
Now bodies are counting on both sides.(army and militants)
An arguement at my workplace this morning was related to the 'WAR'
it would take nothing for Mr President to order a full RED alert on that zone(which would result on terrible losses), but as a nation what would we gain?
more dead bodies and a tendecy of another civil war in view?
The US  gorvenrmnet would support a war because their interest in that region is being tampered on, this is a very dicey situation and Mr president is trying to be very diplomatic and careful, Nigeria cannot survive another 1 minute of a civil war and at the way things are going except a divine intervention, we might just be heading towards that.
Blood would flow, militants would want to avenge their loss, same as the army.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by grandjedi(m): 9:44am On Jun 26, 2008
@ SENATOR J D
How r u doing man?

@Poster
Yar'adua needs to show these goons that they cannot hold a whole nation to ransome no
matter what their greviances are. True that the use of guerilla warfare may be resorted to
by the militants in a view to prolonging the situation, but then at the end of the day even
guerillas can be betrayed / dealt with by their own brothers when they realise that the
militants' war is just to feather their own nests.

A lot of injustice & corruption has gone on in this region and to continue kidnapping and
vandalising national assets by these trigger-happy nincompoops is not the solution to the
empowerment and emancipation of the people of the region.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by ahf(m): 9:56am On Jun 26, 2008
Well,

I hope the Americans & Japanese work on alternative fuelling quickly so that the demand for this oil would reduce.

Nations have oil and have built string economies ! Nations dont have oil and have also built strong economies !

Agreed, in the past, our leaders have not been committed to the Niger Delta development, but tell me anywhere in the world where violence has solved problems.

Remember oil is a finite reserve, eventually it would not be as abundant as we see it now, then ask yourself what the children of tomorrow would think of their forefathers.

The companies are gradually & quietly shifting their investment to more peaceful countries (though they deny it !), even Angola coming out of a war have learnt and are planning well.

Every body has a part to play in this mess, but if one group decides not to make it work, it wont, but believe me, the day might/would come when Nigerians might sit down and bite their fingers saying if they had known.

On the issue of flaring, let me clarify something:-

"These companies are Joint ventures, typically made up of say 4 companies (including NNPC representing government). The spread is that NNPC is typically 51% owner, funding and revenue are shared based on equity ownership.  Over the years the government has not been funding their part and as such the JV's cannot execute the projects that would put flares out."

The best we can do is to be honest about this issues and tackle them.

Greatness of a nation is not by oil revenue but the wisdom to apply the wealth properly. The Nigerian greed is just too much !

I recommend DEATH PENALTY for corruption ! (National Assembly would never agree to this !!!!)
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by codedguy1(m): 9:58am On Jun 26, 2008
Okejazz:

But it is hypocritical of the militants to stage as freedom fighters when nothings shows real and true development in their communities with the ill-gotten monies from ransoms to innocent fishermen, expats, pepper sellers, and the rest . Rather, they buy more arms and recruit more ex-cons.

SENATOR JD:

and they complain there is no development? Cant they channel such monies into productive usage?

These are some of the most stupid contributions i have ever seen on N/L.

How can you think militants/gendames who get money from kidnappings will use that money for development? The implication of what you are saying is that, as long as they continue to get monies from the kidnappings and these monies are used for development, no matter how little that development is, it is justified. The amount of Ransom money that would have been collected by the militants, put together, is peanuts compared to what that region deserves.

That means kidnappings and asking for ransom will now be a viable way of developing the ND. Please you guys should try and reason like human beings, it is pathetic that your thoughts even accepts such a terrible process. Are they modern day Robbin Hood?

Please can someone tell me how many times Yar Adua has sent emiseries to the ND to Amicably find a solution, to justify his sudden declaration of war on the Militants. This is another wrong step that will not achieve anything, infact i think this war action has actually taken us a copple of steps backwards in finding a solution.

i am in no way justifying the actions of the militants but when one has been quiet over the years hoping, negotiating and praying that some sort of succour/development comes to his area, knowing that most of the money the nation is making come from his region, but year in year out you see nothing, this is what it will come down to.

The ND people are not saying that all the wealth coming from that region shud be for them alone, if the larger part of the wealth is coming from that region, with the attendant environmental problems which affects their day-to-day livelyhood, then i think they deserve more than what has been done/given to them.  

Abuja was quite a barren land, see what it has become today.
Where did they get the money to build Abuja over the years, if the ND had half of the development Abuja has, we most probably would be on a round table trying to discuss further development plans, instead of making more widows and orphans, causing more grieve.

grand jedi:

A lot of injustice & corruption has gone on in this region and to continue kidnapping and
vandalising national assets by these trigger-happy nincompoops is not the solution to the
empowerment and emancipation of the people of the region.

Why do you make it sound as if it is only in this region that there has been injustice and corruption, i have said it before there are thieves everywhere both at federal and state level.
The issue here is that, as at this moment 95% of the wealth of this nation comes from that region and they deserve better treatment, especially as the drilling of oil affects there immidiate environment negatively, Do you think if the oil was found in the north or in the igbo states, that there would not be agitations if they were neglected.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by otokx(m): 10:32am On Jun 26, 2008
This our president must be under the influence of bad advisers - the samballachs and tobiahs.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by SENATORJD(m): 11:11am On Jun 26, 2008
grand jedi:

@ SENATOR J D
How r u doing man?
am doing good my brother,hope ure aight?

coded guy:

These are some of the most stupid contributions i have ever seen on N/L.

if u read through what okeyjazz posted and what i wrote,if u were smart enough u would understand what i meant.
if they have enough money to go buying arms and weapons to fight the government, which makes more sense using the money to start a development(no matter how small) or procure arms to fight the government? .
If your friend walks up to u and he is dying of hunger( because he hasnt eaten in 2days) and cannot eat because he has no money,you give him N2000 to go eat and off he goes to go carry a prostitute and co mes back telling you he his hungry.
would u call him wise or stupid? does that make sense to a reasonable person?
whoever said anything about kidnapping. do u read before u post at all? did i ever justify their action or the kidnappings. dude its way to early in the day ok?
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by codedguy1(m): 11:35am On Jun 26, 2008
SENATOR JD:

if u read through what okeyjazz posted and what i wrote,if u were smart enough u would understand what i meant.
if they have enough money to go buying arms and weapons to fight the government, which makes more sense using the money to start a development(no matter how small) or procure arms to fight the government? .
If your friend walks up to u and he is dying of hunger( because he hasnt eaten in 2days) and cannot eat because he has no money,you give him N2000 to go eat and off he goes to go carry a prostitute and co mes back telling you he his hungry.
would u call him wise or stupid? does that make sense to a reasonable person?
whoever said anything about kidnapping. do u read before u post at all? did i ever justify their action or the kidnappings. dude its way to early in the day ok?

okeyjazz's post attested to the fact that the monies used in buying the arms, or the monies which should have been used for development are ill gotten monies frm ransom.

You then suppOrted it by saying

SENATOR JD:

Which monies are you refering to, or what do you think is the meaning of ILL GOTTEN MONIES FROM RANSOM
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by ziga: 11:50am On Jun 26, 2008
We Nigerians have a funny way of using sentiments to cover up, regarding lots of issues.
Isnt it obvious that these militants are not interested in negotiation, abi na Jesus be the negotiator wey dem dey wait?
If you are trying to solve a problem and you've tried in a particular way but there have been no results, isnt it obvious that you have not yet got the solution, And I believe the next rational thing will be to try a new approach.
Fire for fire is a new approach, and it just might be the solution that Yaradua has been afraid of using all these days. At least, make them try and if e no work, dem go find another technique wey fit work.

We go come dey talk like say the militants be God,
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by otokx(m): 11:53am On Jun 26, 2008
The militants do not engage in kidnapping so the issue of ransom does not arise.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by codedguy1(m): 12:01pm On Jun 26, 2008
otokx:

The militants do not engage in kidnapping so the issue of ransom does not arise.

Please enlighting me with your statement.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by samorijack(m): 12:34pm On Jun 26, 2008
I don't agree with everything the president has done this past year but this is one cause I agree with him whole heartedly. These criminals should be smoked out.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by lucabrasi(m): 12:54pm On Jun 26, 2008
ok then we hear you,so yar adua is doing the right thing by telling the army to flush them out , i dont think we should be kidding ourselves first off the bonga oil fields were heavily armed with these same soldiers before they were over run so unless the new soldiers are coming from america or israel then i m waiting to see the miracle.
someone talked about the millitants using the money they get to develop the community,first have u been to these areas we r on about??if you have then u wont be saying that at all,how much are we talking about here??first of all the millitant together are fighting for themselves first,but the thing is that in the absence of any other voice other than them the people have no choice but to support them in making their grieviances heard,ken saro wiwa tried the peaceful means but the government replied by murdering him and our representative in the united nations calling them common criminals,not knowing that phrase will come back to bite him in the ass several years later.
we keep talking about negotiations,what happened to the results of the past negotiations,the recommendations are in a room gathering dust,
what happened to the recommendations of the nobel laureates, its in one room gathering dust
and so many other summits of so called stake holders in the region??
why is yar adua shielding the prosecution of ibori,odilli and the other south south crooks,knowing it ll do a lot to assuage the people's mind??
instead of some summite YET AGAIN with someone like gambari,why not have a marshall plan?same as in germany after the world war,america dropped mega bucks and uk too and while the german leaders where signing the cease fire agreements,and the rest the country was going through both physical and psychological re construction,look at germany today, if it can work in a country that size,then i dont see why it cant work in thesouth south,
the funny thing is that the south south apart from the natural resources can even be a great foreign exchange earner for the country through tourism,with the water ways,the creeks,it can be our own miami where the rich will travel to chill out on their lake front aprtments,estates
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by samorijack(m): 12:58pm On Jun 26, 2008
My people in the Niger Delta cannot expect the Government to make reparation for every injustice they have endured.

This Government has a mechanism  and process in place, to address the problems plaguing the Niger Delta.

My counsel is that my People in the Niger Delta take advantage of this process and hold their leadars to greater levels of accountability (they all seem to be living well)

If they continue to allow these criminals give them a bad name,very soon nobody will care or
sympathize with them anymore
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by samorijack(m): 1:04pm On Jun 26, 2008
SUP LUCABRASI(I happen to be a big God father fan )
I AGREE WITH YOUR INDEPTH ANALSIS ON THIS ISSUE,HOWEVER THE IRREFUTABLE FACT IS NO GOVERNMENT CAN ALLOW ELEMENTS WITHIN IT'S JURISDICTION CARRY ARMS AND USE THEM FLAGRANTLY TO PURSUE THEIR OWN SECTORIAL GOALS. IF EVERBOPDY WITH A BONE TO PICK RESORTED TO VIOLENCE ------YOU FILL IN THE BLANKS.
WE ALL DON'T HAVE TO DIE FOR THEM TO LIVE,SOME OF US HAVE GREVIANCES TOO YOU KNOW

THERE IS A PROCESS ONGOING THEY SHOULD TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by grandjedi(m): 1:16pm On Jun 26, 2008
Quote from: grand jedi on Today at 09:44:30 AM
@ SENATOR J D
How r u doing man
Yeah bro, we're holding it down at this end.

@coded guy
Whoever said anything about there being no corruption in Nigeria?
The discussion is about the Niger Delta which is the goose that's laying the golden egg
in this country.So that region being a microcosm of the nation definitely would reflect the
general trend. What makes it all the more relevant is the dichotomy you mentioned in which
the region is underdeveloped as compared to the FCT.
  Now imagine some people trying to further destabilise the already bad situation. sad
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by SENATORJD(m): 1:24pm On Jun 26, 2008
@coded guy ure getting me wrong,
notice I isolated a sentence from what okey posted, understand what am saying first
who says most of the money used in procuring arms are the ransom ones?
my point is this,if they feel they have been neglected( by not been given money)
why use the little u have to go buy arms?i find it unwise for them to do such
thats what am trying to say
cheers
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by otokx(m): 2:29pm On Jun 26, 2008
@coded guy

its criminals that kidnap people and collect ransom money not militants.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by codedguy1(m): 2:33pm On Jun 26, 2008
@senator

I agree that one shud use the little he/she has to try to sustain himself which would be a wise decision, no doubt.
But its not that simple.

for example, if i (ND people) get N100 worth of grains everyday to feed my family from a plantation around my home, and then a greater body (govt, who is supposed to have some form of devlopment impact on me) comes to this same land to plunder it. take N2000 worth of grains everyday, and then destroys the very environment where i manage to make my N100 to feed my family. I dont think even you would not react. It gets to a stage where people are resolve to using their last meagre resources to fight for they believe in.

@ Grand

ok i get your point.
If you say the discussion is bout the ND, then corruption is a major factor in the equation.

CORRUPTION, INSINCERITY AND GREED, is what this whole thing is all about, we cannot isolate them from our leaders and the situation of the ND.

Ibori, Alams, Odili, Nnamani, Igbinedion are all thieves and corrupt people at the state level, that is why when monies are allocated to the states they probably satisfy their selfish desires and then use peanuts to start a project that never gets completed. (thats why someone would be given a contract, it would not be done or completed and nobody say a thing bout it)

Ibb, Obj, Anenih, Bode george, Aborisade, Even el Rufai etc are all thieves at the federal level. That is why they would want the status quo to remain where they can continue to conieve with the oil coys to take the oil from that part while neglecting the development of the people of that region.

its a sad complicated situation.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by codedguy1(m): 2:43pm On Jun 26, 2008
otokx:

@coded guy

its criminals that kidnap people and collect ransom money not militants.

i hope you can actually differentiate a criminal from a militant. or are you telling me that if these militant see a white Foreigner while on their mission to blow up any station, them no go Kidnap am, or automatically become criminals after the kidnap.

Look, my friend, criminals/militants, they are all the same as far as this fight is concerned now.

The genuine fight has now turned to taking advantage of the chaotic situation. Nobody knows who is fighting a good cause now, everyone, govt, militants, criminals all seems to have a selfish agenda.

Thats how sorry and pathetic we are in this country.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by lucabrasi(m): 3:05pm On Jun 26, 2008
samorijack:

My people in the Niger Delta cannot expect the Government to make reparation for every injustice they have endured.

This Government has a mechanism and process in place, to address the problems plaguing the Niger Delta.

My counsel is that my People in the Niger Delta take advantage of this process and hold their leadars to greater levels of accountability (they all seem to be living well)

If they continue to allow these criminals give them a bad name,very soon nobody will care or
sympathize with them anymore

i agree with you but they dont expect the gov to make reparations for anything,all they are asking for is for development,infrastructures,basic amenities and resource control,they r not asking for anything that has not been done before but for the same practise as it is done in other oil poducing places all round the world,u think the government mechanism is working?common now lets be honest it has failed woefully because of corruption,dirty politics,e.tc
have u ever heard of money expiring, thats what the government said of the nddc money with them,that the money has expired because its a new budget year,ppl blame the man that he is embezzling the money given to him while the government is not giving him what is on the books,they are trying to hold their leaders to account but what does the government do again?they free ibori and he s moving freely in and out of aso rock,same as odilli,same as alams what will d ppl do?nothing
the thing is that nobody cares, common look at the way they r living, the government is spending more to arm soldiers than earmarked for development in the niger delta check the budget, that place should be like miami but its a hell hole
samorijack:

SUP LUCABRASI(I happen to be a big God father fan )
I AGREE WITH YOUR INDEPTH ANALSIS ON THIS ISSUE,HOWEVER THE IRREFUTABLE FACT IS NO GOVERNMENT CAN ALLOW ELEMENTS WITHIN IT'S JURISDICTION CARRY ARMS AND USE THEM FLAGRANTLY TO PURSUE THEIR OWN SECTORIAL GOALS. IF EVERBOPDY WITH A BONE TO PICK RESORTED TO VIOLENCE ------YOU FILL IN THE BLANKS.
WE ALL DON'T HAVE TO DIE FOR THEM TO LIVE,SOME OF US HAVE GREVIANCES TOO YOU KNOW

THERE IS A PROCESS ONGOING THEY SHOULD TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT.
i agree with you but im sure u have heard the saying also that these who resist peaceful change make violent change inevitable(not sure if i said it right but u get the gist lol)
die for them to live ke,they r the ones dieing and have no chance to live,me and u can still drive to our home towns,eat fish and other farm produce they cant.
yes o the godfather sleeps like a fish smiley
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by BluMalam(m): 4:18pm On Jun 26, 2008
First of all, i'd like to state that

1. I am a DE-TRIBALIZED NIGERIAN

2. I HAVE been to the Niger- Delta

3. My mother is FROM the Niger-Delta

It is a known fact that the oil-producing states benefit a 13% derivation of all oil-related reciepts (i.e daily

proceeds from oil sale, royalties e.t.c) monthly in addition to their statutory allocations. This means that these states

recieve higher monthly allocations than any state, including Lagos, which accounts for the bulk of non-oil related

national income (ports, taxes, duties e.t.c) . In the course of my visit to the Niger-Delta, it was evident that less than

1% of all this money gets to the people at the grassroot. Then, why don't our dear "militants" blow up the mansions of

Odili, Ibori and their cohorts if they are truly seeking justice?

2. To the people shamelessly insulting presido, If our dear president folds his hands and maintains the status-quo

(as regards this issue), you all will say he has done nothing, is too sick to think, or is not capable. Now he has declared

war, and you are saying he is over-reacting. You guys should make up your minds and stop using DUAL MEASURES

OF PERFORMANCE.

3. OIL GO FINISH. Blinded by acute ethnicity, you guys are quick to forget that before the discovery of oil,

agriculture was the mainstay of our economy. The leather and groundnut pyramids of the north, oil palm and cocoa

plantations of the east and west respectively were the major sources of national income. This income funded the

research and discovery of this same oil. Nobody complained. HOLD YOUR LEADERS RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR WOES.

PERIOD.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by SENATORJD(m): 4:55pm On Jun 26, 2008
coded guy:

@senator

I agree that one should use the little he/she has to try to sustain himself which would be a wise decision, no doubt.
But its not that simple.

for example, if i (ND people) get N100 worth of grains everyday to feed my family from a plantation around my home, and then a greater body (govt, who is supposed to have some form of devlopment impact on me) comes to this same land to plunder it. take N2000 worth of grains everyday, and then destroys the very environment where i manage to make my N100 to feed my family. I don't think even you would not react. It gets to a stage where people are resolve to using their last meagre resources to fight for they believe in.
respect ur view coded G, definitely one would be compelled to react but must it be by force? both parties(govt & militants) are equally wrong on the actions taken.
but what do you expect the govt to do when the militants are adamant on their views, no dialogue can occur and they are becoming a threat to not just properties, but lives as well. if u were the president forget tribe and reion(i detest it)
what would you have done given the situations on ground?

coded guy:

The genuine fight has now turned to taking advantage of the chaotic situation. Nobody knows who is fighting a good cause now, everyone, govt, militants, criminals all seems to have a selfish agenda.
exactly what i was trying to make u see,even if the cause is just, is this the way to go about it?
we dont know who is fighting for the good of the people and who is for their own interest.
whichever way the cause is no more as far as am concerning.
we do have a pathetic situation like u rightly said only God can intervene
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by EKENEA(m): 5:07pm On Jun 26, 2008
Hmmmmmmmmmm, Yaradull declares war on militants or militants will declare war on yaradull, visit the swamp and see what is happening. today militants hijack a passenger boat and at list two people were confermed dead along Bonny water way
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by alexleo(m): 5:19pm On Jun 26, 2008
ziga:

We Nigerians have a funny way of using sentiments to cover up, regarding lots of issues.
Isnt it obvious that these militants are not interested in negotiation, abi na Jesus be the negotiator wey them dey wait?
If you are trying to solve a problem and you've tried in a particular way but there have been no results, isnt it obvious that you have not yet got the solution, And I believe the next rational thing will be to try a new approach.
Fire for fire is a new approach, and it just might be the solution that Yaradua has been afraid of using all these days. At least, make them try and if e no work, them go find another technique wey fit work.

We go come dey talk like say the militants be God,

Ziga, I support you 100 times and over. Fire for fire is it. All these unneccessary senitiments that some people are whipping here and there is uncalled for. Those boys have taken too much and they must be stopped by all means. After all they should have started this war by fighting the past niger-delta governors for their failure to develop their states. Cross River state is the seventh state in the Niger delta in terms of allocation, yet with the meager amount (compared to that of Rivers, Bayelsa and Edo) Donald Duke was able to turn calabar into a beautiful city and the pride of Nigeria where politicians, foreingners,and wealthy Nigerians likes to spend their holidays, do their retreat, AGM and other things. Instead of them to blame their Odili, alams, Lucky Igbinedion, Ibori etc they are blaming Nigeria for their woes. Is calabar not a Niger Delta state? So why is calabar now as beautiful as Abuja? simple answer- because a man called donald Duke detemined to use his office as a governor to turn his state into a haven. Let other Niger Delta governors emulate him and do same in their states. All this noise will stop. Let me also say that most of these boys are cultists who have just seen a means of making quick and big money under the coak of freedom fighters. We know the freedom fighters- Asari. Do you listen to that guy, he doesnt support all this nonsense that the so called millitants are doing.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by Ohenry(m): 5:44pm On Jun 26, 2008
I'm against President Yaradua declaration of war against the militants.

The money being spent on arming the JTF should be used instead to meet the challenges of under-development and environmental degradation in the Niger Delta.

The military option worked against Biafra. It will not work in the Niger Delta.
Re: Yar’adua Declares War On Militants by chrisibu(m): 5:51pm On Jun 26, 2008
The ranks of the militia groups involved in the bloody clash that has rocked the Bayelsa creeks and waterways was yesterday broken by men of the Joint Military Task Force (JTF), Operation Restore Hope, with the arrest of one of the militia commanders known as Jairus Profit, while three others are on the run.

The entry of the men of the JTF into the conflict of supremacy among the militia groups, Leadership gathered, was coincidental as they have been under the security searchlight of the intelligence unit of the Task Force over their alleged execution of opposition and community leaders working with military and other security agents.

The battle for supremacy involving Prince Igodo-led group and Ogunbos group broke and reached its peak in the early hours of Sunday. The animosity, it was gathered, had been building up since February when the latter group attempted to establish its base at Peremabiri, a move that did not go down well with Igodo. But fresh facts emerged yesterday in Yenagoa that the intelligence unit of the JTF visited the camp of Igodo and found it destroyed. The combined team of soldiers and Naval officers has however mounted a cordon and search operation around the Southern Ijaw Local Government axis.

u can get more information on - http://hubpages.com/hub/mfbms

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Wike Plans Anti-Amaechi Protest In London / Emir Debunks Reports That He Fled His Palace In Mubi - / How The General Elections Are Going To Be Decided

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.