Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,942 members, 7,824,961 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 09:54 PM

Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? (17485 Views)

These Habits Will Kill Your Auto Transmission Fast Please Avoid Them. / Acura Mdx Tech Package 2008 Model Showing Check Transmission With Flashing D / Help , Accura Mdx 2008 Showing Check Transmission With Flashing D (shift) Lever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by Nobody: 5:48am On Sep 20, 2013
I've been thinking, how many people out there who drive their automatic cars like go carts; one foot on each pedal, and how many that drive with just one foot. I drive with one, the "right" while the left foot chills out.

I noticed my mom, my sister and my girlfriend they all uses both feet. I think that's a lot of hustle for an automatic vehicle.

What about you? Do you drive with both or one?

2 Likes

Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by DesChyko1(m): 5:52am On Sep 20, 2013
I think I alternate without thinking so. Let's say I drive with two feet.. Basically, I operate both pedals with my right foot, but my left foot hovers around the brake pedal..just in case

2 Likes

Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by micklplus(m): 5:57am On Sep 20, 2013
Just one and that's my right one. The left is always in chill mode! Driving an automatic with both feet at the same time is not even advisable professionally.

......But manual drive, I use the two infact, I need a third foot mehn. Lol

10 Likes

Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by Nobody: 6:00am On Sep 20, 2013
Before I started using Automatic transmission, I used a manual transmission which entail operation with both feet, when I switched to Auto transmission, I used both feet. Over time, I ressigned using my left foot meaning only my right foot did all the job. Nowadays any time I try taking my left foot any where the brake pedal to give even the slightest pressure, it results to an error. I over depress the damn brake pedalangry Gosh I missed those sweet good ol' days when I do the two feet driving technique cry But... I shall bounce back someday wink

3 Likes

Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by Nobody: 6:02am On Sep 20, 2013
micklplus: Just one and that's my right one. The left is always in chill mode! Driving an automatic with both feet at the same time is not even advisable professionally.

Yes I think so too but I think they are pretty much comfortable driving with two feet just like some folks drive without shoes on lol.

Lol @ 3rd foot

♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:
I think I alternate without thinking so. Let's say I drive with two feet.. Basically, I operate both pedals with my right foot, but my left foot hovers around the brake pedal..just in case

Ever tried using one?

1 Like

Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by Nobody: 6:54am On Sep 20, 2013
I do with one foot, I also drive with my shoes on, but when i wear flip- (Palm) i normally pull it off and use my bare foot

1 Like

Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by 9icetoo(m): 7:36am On Sep 20, 2013
Like u rightly pointed out OP, automatics are meant to ease the stress of driving. driving an auto with both feet is just stressful. To the guy who said his left foot hovers over the brake pedal just in case, i wonder how u would feel after an eight hour drive. lol. You would die of cramps i tell. I drive the auto with one foot as it is suppoed to. Even in a manual, u do not brake with the left foot, u still do it with the right while the left controls the clutch. Unless you are a rally driver, u should drive an auto with one foot.

3 Likes

Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by elektra80: 8:55am On Sep 20, 2013
lomomike: Before I started using Automatic transmission, I used a manual transmission which entail operation with both feet, when I switched to Auto transmission, I used both feet. Over time, I ressigned using my left foot meaning only my right foot did all the job. Nowadays any time I try taking my left foot any where the brake pedal to give even the slightest pressure, it results to an error. I over depress the damn brake pedalangry Gosh I missed those sweet good ol' days when I do the two feet driving technique cry But... I shall bounce back someday wink

Do u use ur left foot to depress the brake while driving manual? No I guess , the left foot is just for the clutch and since there's no clutch in automatic, it is meant to be driven with just one foot. It is a bad habit to drive automatic with both feet, I have a friend that does that and he has mastered depressing the brake with his left foot. But in the etiquette of driving, u can't have both feet on the brake and throttle at the same time, so one foot should be used.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by Ngutor(m): 9:53am On Sep 20, 2013
I rep the right foot. Some times no foot sef; cruise control mode activated. wink
Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by Nobody: 10:08am On Sep 20, 2013
elektra80:
.....it is meant to be driven with just one foot. It is a bad habit to drive automatic with both feet, .... But in the etiquette of driving, u can't have both feet on the brake and throttle at the same time, so one foot should be used.....

No pun intended but I disagree with you Mr Elektra80 on the above selected phrases pls read this article. Thanks

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-foot_braking

1 Like

Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:23am On Sep 20, 2013
lomomike:

No pun intended but I disagree with you Mr Elektra80 on the above selected phrases pls read this article. Thanks

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-foot_braking

you are both right and wrong

generally that technic is for racing cars and drivers and the pedals are designed for such manuvours (the mili seconds counting in racing) not in general driving
though people with general cars use that technic, but then what is the point of using an automatic when you are using both legs
Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by Nobody: 10:52am On Sep 20, 2013

3 Likes

Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by DesChyko1(m): 11:20am On Sep 20, 2013
chiebube: Already discussed...

https://www.nairaland.com/1145920/one-two-leg-driving-automatic/3

That poster of that thread sought an advice.. This thread is an open discussion.. I think the difference is clear.
Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by Nobody: 11:58am On Sep 20, 2013
The very notion of using both feet when driving an automatic is plain absurd. Those who drive automatics (as a preference over manuals) do so because of the freedom it offers. Automatics are nowhere near as reliable as manuals. So why pay the extra, buy an automatic, if you're not going to drive it as one?

If you use both feet to drive an automatic during your driving test, you'll fail, plain and simple. In an emergency, as in panic situations, it's very possible to stamp on both the brake and gas pedals at the same time. Left-foot braking is beneficial if you're driving on a circuit or track, when using your left foot on the brake pedal (of a manual car) can pull the car round a tight curve, yet still keep the power on (gas pedal).

There is NO instance whereby you'll need to press both brake and gas pedals of an automatic simultaneously. All you're doing is wearing the internal clutch packs out, and boiling the fluid.

Those who drive with both feet, ask yourself if your automatic issues are related to your driving style.

5 Likes

Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by amiskurie(m): 4:13pm On Sep 20, 2013
ahhh! I dey craze ni?
Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by biodunpro(m): 4:15pm On Sep 20, 2013
micklplus: Just one and that's my right one. The left is always in chill mode! Driving an automatic with both feet at the same time is not even advisable professionally.

lmao

1 Like

Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by manny4life(m): 4:16pm On Sep 20, 2013
One feet --- RIGHT, and a few times I tried braking with my left, it did feel awkward, as in I step on it like boom. I don't feel the ease like using the right foot, so I drive with one feet... Daz all
Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by Ninilowo(m): 4:17pm On Sep 20, 2013
Only righr foot is adequate for operating auto transmission cos when u need to press the brake, u dont accelerate thatz why it is designed so.

1 Like

Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by Ama28(f): 4:17pm On Sep 20, 2013
One foot!
Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by Okijajuju1(m): 4:18pm On Sep 20, 2013
I dont drive...

I have drivers.. Lemme ask them.

Baba Ayo!! How many leg you dey use drive my Jeeps!?

1 Like

Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Sep 20, 2013
I don't drive, i use no feet or foot, wotever.
Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by airclipse(m): 4:18pm On Sep 20, 2013
One foot my broda na dat one sure pass.....the other foot go dey dashboard or sum place else....bet bottom line be say na chill the other foot go dey chill.... grin

2 Likes

Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by kenx1(m): 4:20pm On Sep 20, 2013
I use both wen I drive,i really don't c anything wrong with it
Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by spoilerx: 4:21pm On Sep 20, 2013
use one foot, so as to avoid left foot braking
Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by creativino: 4:22pm On Sep 20, 2013
Jus one, always with shoe!
Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by arelano(f): 4:22pm On Sep 20, 2013
well, let's see where it end
Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by TheMan3: 4:22pm On Sep 20, 2013
REALLY!!! This made front page Unbelivable!!!!!
Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by fhemyxXx(m): 4:25pm On Sep 20, 2013
embarassed most of dz ppl wey dey comment,na all of u sabi drive or get ride?..
Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by 3ace(m): 4:25pm On Sep 20, 2013
I think it is more comfortable driving an automatic car with one foot. I have never used two feet before and thinking about it right now makes me feel it can't be convenient for me. I think those who use both feet are just unnecessarily being scared. I think these cars are made to be driven with one feet making it also convenient for one legged amputee.
Re: Do You Drive Auto Transmission With One Foot Or Both? by plainmirror(m): 4:25pm On Sep 20, 2013
I drive wif both foot

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Murano Transmission Problem / love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria / Chinese Volvo Owner, Geely, Becomes Largest Shareholder In Mercedes-benz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.