Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,128 members, 7,818,384 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:03 PM

Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? (36832 Views)

List Of Vehicle Papers Needed To Drive A Vehicle In Nigeria / What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced??? / The Implications Of Buying A Vehicle With High Odometer Reading? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by lastpage: 11:58pm On Sep 21, 2013
Ikenna351: Simple, because Americans don't drive diesels. The moment they start, Petrol cars will become "problematic" in Nigeria, to Nigerians.

Ikenna.
So you saying Nigerians are stewpid and just do 'follow-follow' ?
C'mmon, that is a very silly and self-denigrating opinion.

Diesel vehicles are still comparatively noisy (reason l hate them) and they are "slow to pick-up speed from zero", .....compared to a petrol engine.

Its a no-brainer really and l am surprised you cant figure that out.

I dont know what anyone can do about "combustion rate" of diesel fuel (compared to petrol) since its inherent in its "chemical make-up" to burn slowly (why it lasts longer) but then slow combustion simply translates to less "power bust"

Lastpage!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by redcliff: 12:13am On Sep 22, 2013
Find Out!:

On this thread alone, people are learning how to improve their lives via questions and reading other people's views. But the first thing you did here was to criticize the educative topic which brings me to wonder what exactly you are doing to improve your life!

He who knows not and knows not he knows not: he is a fool - shun him. He who knows not and knows he knows not: he is simple - teach him. He who knows and knows not he knows: he is asleep - wake him. He who knows and knows he knows: he is wise - follow him.

http://thinkexist.com/quotation/he_who_knows_not_and_knows_not_he_knows_not-he_is/149147.html

Going by the bolded, you sir, need not look further than the reflection you see in your mirror if you are looking for a fool. And for that reason, including the fact that this exchange is coming in the way of this thread's intent, i will now shun you and hope that you seek an appointment with a brain surgeon soonest, before your situation becomes irredeemable. Goodluck.

Tko. This thread has been closed. Lmao
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by redcliff: 12:15am On Sep 22, 2013
lastpage:
So you saying Nigerians are stewpid and just do 'follow-follow' ?
C'mmon, that is a very silly and self-denigrating opinion.

Diesel vehicles are still comparatively noisy (reason l hate them) and they are "slow to pick-up speed from zero", .....compared to a petrol engine.

Its a no-brainer really and l am surprised you cant figure that out.

I dont know what anyone can do about "combustion rate" of diesel fuel (compared to petrol) since its inherent in its "chemical make-up" to burn slowly (why it lasts longer) but then slow combustion simply translates to less "power bust"

Lastpage!

You dont have to be in denial. Nigeriams are actually stewpi.d
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by adconline(m): 12:20am On Sep 22, 2013
redcliff: Once Nigerians sterotype an item, its only a mircale that can make it step out of that circle..
Naija stereotype: Bourvita causes malaria. Wrong, but most folks believe this.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by ocelot2006(m): 1:31am On Sep 22, 2013
in my opinion, i'll say the fuel itself is the problem, especially with the amount of crudely refined blackmarket diesel (AGO) products dumped in the market and currently in circulation. One must be very careful.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by KA24DETT(m): 2:22am On Sep 22, 2013
Nuzo':
Siena, Ikenna, cooldun et al.

These aforementioned are just like Jakumo, Mannylife etc in aeronotics. They are well versed, experienced and well traveled.
Some months ago, I was opportune to follow Ikenna's journey from Abuja to Anambra via Enugu. His story or maybe the way he told it made me feel like I was the actual traveller. I could count that thread as one of my most educating yet entertaining threads I've come across on Niaralnd since when I joined the forum in 2006.

I've leant a lot of maturity, professionalism and straight to the point kind oof approach to issues, especially in the auto section. I appreciate them. wink

That being said, I must note that sometimes I don't feel comfortable with the way they counter/confront some Nigerian regarding their opinions on automobiles. This confrontation is very evident in Siena, Ikenna nd Cooldun's comments here.

1. Siena and Ikenna stated clearly that Nigeriiaans are only using diesel cars because their "mentor" (America) is using it. More like saying that we Niigerians foolishly copy whatever the Americans do.

2. Ikenna and Cooldun also made a condescending statement about how Nigerians suck up auto-transmission vehicles...just because its lazy Americans favorites..

3. Ikenna and co has also been furious about Nigerian preferring the Toyota brand of cars to other brands. They went further to beret Nigerians for thinking very high of American specs when compared to European version.

I can't claim to know the major reasons why Nigerians are "ignorant" of their automobiles and their preferences. But I can't at least speak for myself. And before I do that, I want to also make it clear that I'm not a car/auto enthusiast...but I'm a big fan of sophistication, simplicity and efficiency in all I do. And that includes automobiles. grin

As I agree with assertion that Nigerians prefer petrol cars cos America do same. I would want Siena and co to do further research oon why Nigerians prefer this other than using the usual line "Nigerian likes copying Americans for the sake of it" to shut down any debate.

Aside from first hand experiences affecting the use of diesel engine cars like:
A. Higher pump price
B. Lack of good auto mechanics
C. Excess carbon dioxide
D. Noisy engine
E. Low speed (for older version)
F. Faulty injector
Et al.

I would love you guys to look into the fact that this love for American product and service is not just a Nigerian thing but a global phenomenon. From Brasili, Beijing, London to even Germany...the residents of these places prefer American specs of most products even if the product is an ididgenous to those places.
Now, the question is why is the world in love with American specs. Simple! High quality nd standard plus its uniqueness! So, what's actually wrong in people believing and going for American specs?

And as for Nigerians preferring Toyota to any other brand, I stand with them on that. I've been blessed to accelerate different brand of cars in my life; Datsun/Nissan, Mazda, Ford, Honda, Peogot GM, Mercedes and Toyota. I drove cars from these brands between 2 months to 10 years. Nothing compares to Toyota!

Aside from the value and compatibility, I would choose Toyota Tundra over Mercedes GLK450 (no be me get am o) without thinking it thru. I can't begin to recount my sweet times with Toyota Tundra as opposed to the not-so memorable time I had with the GLK450.
Is it the cheap maintenance, availability of spare parts, fuel economy, engine durability? There's just something about Toyota!

I'm not going to respond to Cooldun's comments regarding auto-transmission and manual. Cos if I do, he may even come with the idea that we should even prefer animal transportation to automobile...just because we want our roads to be free from accidents.

Once again, these guys are professionals and experts in automobile but the whole country can't be wrong.

Ps: Please pardon my incoherent essay.

Toyota Tundra and Mercedes GLK are not in the same class. One is a work truck and the other a luxury SUV with a high ground clearance. You have to compare Toyota tundra with the benchmark of that class which is the FORD F-150. No other truck comes close to FORD. Not even Toyota.
Now, u have driven all these cars u have mentioned and you say u will chose a toyota . You are not a driver. Toyota dont build drivers cars. They build cars that move people from point A to B. Everybody that have driven cars and knows alittle about cars knows that. Recently, they are trying to change that mentality and building interesting cars but time will tell. Mazda 6 is more sporty and well balanced than a Camry, same as Mazda 3 vs Toyota Corolla .
Ikenna, Siena and yours truly despise Toyota because Nigerians think toyota is better than everything. Nigerians LOVE Toyota because of reliability and i dont blame them. They are very reloable but to say they build the most ENTERTAINING AND FUN cars is BS.
I drive a 6 speed manual transmission., i love using my left foot, the connection between man and machine you get in an manual transmission is amazing.You feel connected to the car. Young guys into cars in Canada and the states shift gears. I wouldnt trade my car for an Auto any day.
Diesel makes more emission than an equivalent petrol car but with advances in technology i.e ULSD (Ultra low sulfur diesel), Better catalytic converter and Nx filters. They are getting cleaner. I dont know where u got your faulty injector assessment (beer parlour i would say).
All in, Diesel is coming back in America because of better fuel economy and advancement that makes it burn cleaner. THE TORQUE CURVE OF DIESEL IS UNMATCHED BY THE SAME GASOLINE CAR.
THE WHOLE COUNTRY IS WRONG, IT IS A HERD MENTALITY...

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by shootsight(m): 6:06am On Sep 22, 2013
Who is that dude comparing a Mercedes GLK and a Toyota tundra? U αяє not being fair @ all. Τhe tundra is a TRUCK, while GLK is a luxury SUV. I am tempted †̥σ believe u drove and reviewed both vehicles on the screen of your computer! Even amongst SUV's Τђε GLK is in a class of its own. Toyota's may be reliable generally but are pretty much bland and uninspiring in ride handling , design and Wђã† have you. Toyota is more or less a point A †̥σ point B car .. And please diesel cars αяє no longer noisy and smoky. Do not use Τђε noisy and smokestack old heavy duty vehicles u encounter on our roads as a yardstick †̥σ judge. Except Τђε initial growl when started up u wouldn't tell ∂ difference in newer cars.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by shootsight(m): 6:29am On Sep 22, 2013
I think the issue between automatic and manual cars is a no brainer. I drive an automatic but then automatics by nature deprives one of that connect between man and machine. With a manual u feel and indeed have much more input in Τђε driving experience. Car enthusiasts go for manual anyday anytime.
Even if one were †̥σ look @ it from an economic point of view, manuals are less prone †̥σ issues. Infact a manual gearbox with issues can βε̲̣ safely driven for kilometres if the driver knows Wђã† he's doing. Try that with an auto tranny and kiss it goodbye! And for those who claim manuals are tasking and painful on the arms. Let them go †̥σ the transport companies and ask their drivers... They'∂ pick a manual oVer an auto tranny tιℓℓ infinity. Besides I am yet to see a manual car driver whose arms got paralysed due to frequent gear changes
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nuzo1(m): 7:34am On Sep 22, 2013
Go easy Shoot@sight and Ka24dett. grin

I thot I was pretty clear about my comparism between GLK450 and Tundra...at least in relation to the point I was trying to make. I said; aside frm its value, compatibility and luxury...I would go for a Toyota Tundra cos of its durability and reliability.

Hear you "Toyota don't build driver's cars, they build cars that move you from point A to B". This your statement confirms my point; Nigerian prefer cars that move them from point A to B without much ado...and Toyota is one of the few brands that does that.
Except for the rich minority, Nigerians don't really care about luxury and very fast automobiles...they go for cars they can easily maintain in this tough and rough environment. Toyota is the name!

Honestly, I feel most of you car enthusiasts are not being fair to the average Nigerians hence why you made statements like "you are not a driver. Young Canadians love manual. To have a connection with your car, it must be a manual transmission".

Sometimes I wonder if you guys live in Nigeria and commute our roads like most Nigerians do everyday; (slaughter to second artillery, Town to Oil Mill, GRA all in PH) (Wuse zones to Maraba, Gwags, Kuje and other neighbouring settlements) (Opebi/Allen, 3rd Mainland, Tinubu Square area, Ikeja/Ogba axis, Awolowo way, Milie2-Ojo and Ebutta Metta in Lagos). Aside from experience, common sense will tell you that after laboring the whole day...it just doesn't make sense to add to the stress by driving through these roads with manual transmission everyday. The environment is already stressful, so why compound it with driving manual just so you could feel the connection with our cars? We are not Lewis Hamilton! angry grin

And as for the diesel engine cars, please let us agree that the reasons most of us gaave here are true...at least for the older version. Your counter arguments are purely based on newer versions of diesel engines of which most Nigerians cannot readily afford for now.

Finally, its so wrong to assume Nigerians prefer certain things cos of herd mentality. We have solid reasons for doing or preferring some of the things we do or buy. Well, except for most northerners being in love with Honda. grin

So, I would advise you guys to walk in our shoes before you write us off. undecided cry

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nuzo1(m): 7:55am On Sep 22, 2013
adconline:
Naija stereotype: Bourvita causes malaria. Wrong, but most folks believe this.

I can only hope you are joking, cos its unheard of where a group of people will continue to prefer a certain product after believing that the same product is harmful to their health.
Bournvita is still by far, the most consumed chocolate drink in Nigeria till date.

Find another example sir. tongue
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by shootsight(m): 8:06am On Sep 22, 2013
@ nuzo; Oga Ɣоυ αяє still comparing tundra and glk .. Why №ω ? Haba! Also Wђã† do u mean by newer diesel cars being expensive? Isn't it Τђε same Nigerians that buy crosstour and Toyota venza which year models start from 2009 or thereabout ?and cost anywhere from 30,000usd for a used model. Why will newer diesel versions №ω cost an arm and a leg ? Why should we even discuss diesel cars in relation †̥σ older models ? Mr, I experience hellish traffic jams as I am based in Lagos. I am sure Mr ikenna has been stuck too in traffic severally... I still maintain that I am yet †̥σ see anyone who complained of arm paralysis because he pushes a manual car. Even at that, most newer manual cars have barely perceptible gear changes, perhaps u have been driving an older make of manual.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by shootsight(m): 8:13am On Sep 22, 2013
Where is Mr ikenna ? Please clear Τђε air if u would pick an auto tranny D9 over Τђε one u have presently, and why ?
Input from other manual car owners is highly welcome and appreciated too
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Ikenna351(m): 8:29am On Sep 22, 2013
shoot@sight:
Where is Mr ikenna ? Please clear Τђε air if u would pick an auto tranny D9 over Τђε one u have presently, and why ?

Am washing my SV D9 now, preparing for my Sunday Mass at Maitama. When am through with the Mass or less busy, will respond to Nuzo' posts. Good morning all.

Ikenna.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nobody: 8:29am On Sep 22, 2013
shoot@sight:
Busted!!! wink you're deviating from the topic to D9 manual peugeot eh? Oya stick to the topic "Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle?" cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nobody: 8:47am On Sep 22, 2013
Nuzo':
Go easy Shoot@sight and Ka24dett. grin

...And as for the diesel engine cars, please let us agree that the reasons most of us gaave here are true...at least for the older version. Your counter arguments are purely based on newer versions of diesel engines of which most Nigerians cannot readily afford for now...
well Nuzo, u are to a large extent wrong here. Most diesel cars are always cheaper than their petrol counterparts eg, if you have say a mercedes E class blueTEC and another Mercedes E class petrol engine with similar engine displacement, its most probably, the diesel variant that is cheaper either at time of purchase or overtime when cost of running and maintenance is considered. Diesel powered cars are meant for those who want a car yet want to avoid the environemntal tax punishment. It is most times placed as a base trim level of a car specific model (I stand corrected) I no fit shout today na my birthday. cheesy grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by chucky234(m): 8:47am On Sep 22, 2013
Who drives manual cars with our death trap roads couple with hard economy, auto tranny allow me the time to think of how I'm going to make money to pay my bills,fend for my family and save for the future without having to switch gear pedal at every distance,especially in Lagos traffic.
Dumped my manual in 2005 and no going back,I'm in love with auto for the freedom it gives.
Click " like" if you are team AUTO.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by shootsight(m): 9:00am On Sep 22, 2013
lomomike:
Busted!!! wink you're deviating from the topic to D9 manual peugeot eh? Oya stick to the topic "Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle?" cheesy grin
loOoooooooool . Oga mi I sight u jare . I was begining †̥σ wonder where u were hiding. ℓ☺ℓ
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Ilaje44(m): 9:01am On Sep 22, 2013
shejane: Dot kw much abt diesel cars thou bt I love my fuel car

Mayb if I try diesel car is possible I wil lyk it

Bt 4 now fuel car all d way nd toyota is d best

Fuel: Diesel, Petrol, Kerosene, Methyl Alcohol, LPG, CNG etc.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nobody: 9:15am On Sep 22, 2013
chucky234: Who drives manual cars with our death trap roads couple with hard economy, auto tranny allow me the time to think of how I'm going to make money to pay my bills,fend for my family and save for the future without having to swith gear pedal at every distance,especially in Lagos traffic.
Dumped my manual in 2005 and no going back,I'm in with auto with the freedom it gives.
Click " like" if you are team AUTO.

Easy. Chucky234, we aren't discussing about manual or auto tranny, we are talking about Diesel and Petrol so don't derail this highly educative/informative thread. Btw, pls if you must think better sit in the passenger side or at home and do all the thinking while someone drives the car especially an automatic. If you do you might end your journey in a crash. DON'T think and drive. Concentrate, be very observant and sober when driving. #TEAM DRIVE 2 STAY ALIVE.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nobody: 9:18am On Sep 22, 2013
shoot@sight:
loOoooooooool . Oga mi I sight u jare . I was begining †̥σ wonder where u were hiding. ℓ☺ℓ

Oga mi I dey Oº°˚˚°! I just dey follow this thread with keen interest bumper2bumper, I lock up because I wan learn more from our other ogas @ d top.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Dantedasz(m): 9:19am On Sep 22, 2013
It is true that many Nigerians stereo type vehicles without actually having any practical experience of such vehicles.
Instances-
1. Vehicles fitted with injectors are problematic compared to one with a carburator.
2.Front wheel vehicles are not as good as those fitted with back axles.
3.Mannual gear system is better than auto gear system because you can not jump start a vehicle with an auto gear if your battery runs down one wet,rainy morning.
4.Vehicles produced by Toyota are better than ALL other cars.
5.Diesel powered cars are slow,noisy,smoke belching hunks of ugly metal.
Back to topic-while in reality these stereo types may not match the reality on the ground,it is also important we note that these stereotypes are guided by economic realities of Nigeria. Why buy a diesel powered vehicle when you are not sure of the availability of the commodity at many fuel stations?
Why use a diesel powered car when no one can vouch for the purity of the diesel you will certainly have to buy from the black marketeer on the street corner?
And of course,we all know there are NO good mechanics/technicians,who can repair these diesel powered engines in Nigeria.
So to answer the OP,while stereotypes may not be true,the harsh economic reality of Nigeria makes it more practical and reasonable to buy and use a petrol powered vehicle.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nuzo1(m): 9:26am On Sep 22, 2013
lomomike: well Nuzo, u are to a large extent wrong here. Most diesel cars are always cheaper than their petrol counterparts eg, if you have say a mercedes E class blueTEC and another Mercedes E class petrol engine with similar engine displacement, its most probably, the diesel variant that is cheaper either at time of purchase or overtime when cost of running and maintenance is considered. Diesel powered cars are meant for those who want a car yet want to avoid the environemntal tax punishment. It is most times placed as a base trim level of a car specific model (I stand corrected) I no fit shout today na my birthday. cheesy grin grin grin

If you can end your submission with "I stand to be corrected", one wonders how you came up to conclusion that I was wrong to a large extent.
By the way, I will appreciate it if you can list the part where I'm "right". wink

HBD bro!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nobody: 9:37am On Sep 22, 2013
Nuzo':

If you can end your submission with "I stand to be corrected", one wonders how you came up to conclusion that I was wrong to a large extent.
By the way, I will appreciate it if you can list the part where I'm "right". wink

HBD bro!

Oº°˚˚° jare tnx brother mi, "...It is most times placed as a base trim level of a car specific model (I stand corrected) ..." The placing or non placing of a diesel engine as a base trim level for a model was the reason for the "(I stand corrected)". Sometimes the rationale behind manufacturers placing a variant as a base trim may be based on but not limited to:
1. type of engine diesel or petrol,
2. Engine displacement / number of cylinders,
3. Level of equipment upgrade found as standard,
4. Size of vehicle. (Short or long base). Etc. That's why I said "(I stand corrected)".

Hope I explained my clause clearly? smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Denn(m): 9:38am On Sep 22, 2013
A little bit of economics.....bandwagon theory.

If you own a business in Nigeria, just pray that the bandwagon does not swing against you because no amount of logic and advert will be able to win back your customers....

Shina Peters, IBB, ST Soap, dadawa seasoning, aji no moto, etc all have these in common

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by shootsight(m): 9:40am On Sep 22, 2013
Nuzo':

HBD bro!

I believe ∂ gentleman added that †̥σ indicate he's not infallible . On a lighter note , HBD lomomike. Hope oga ikenna won't ban mε for derailing☺
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by elektra80: 10:11am On Sep 22, 2013
COOLDUN:

You are very right my dear, that is how Nigerians are today going crazy for Automatic cars instead of Manual, juts because Americans are driving Automatic. The cars that were made for the disabled is the best options for the Nigerians today.

Many accidents in Nigeria roads nowadays is as a result of the driving made easy Automatic cars, when someone moves an Automatic car today, tomorrow he/she will enter road without knowing the road signs, before you know it he/she begins to apply long distance routes. When there a little problem on the road you would see them shaking like moi moi. Automatic cars are very easy to drive, and that is why people jump into them as if they are the best. But manual cars make one a good and real driver.

I am not saying that manual drivers do not get accident, but there many Automatic cars easily made drivers on our roads today.

I don't know much about diesel cars but all i know is that, there must be an advantage in every invention. We Nigerians too copy from America, mostly on the bad things. Tell me more of Diesel cars plsease.

most of the points u made are invalid. Where did u learn that automatic cars are made for the DISABLED? Driving a manual car is by choice and in this world where technology is making things easier, why stress urself driving a manual when automatic is available. Let me ask u a simple question... In ur house do u still use the big old CRT television? If not, then why did u switch to LCD and LED TV's, after all nothing wrong with CRT. technology is advancing and dynamic, we grow with it, hence why people switch to auto cars as it makes life easier, not because of laziness. Why do u use keyless remote to open the door of ur car, why not use the key all the time to open ur door and trunk? Why do u play a CD in ur car? Why not play the good old cassette. So bro, switching to automatic is not doe to laziness. In case u don't know, the newer exotic cars like Ferrari and Lamborghinis are ditching manual for automatic.

And where did u get ur statistics that most accidents that happen involve automatic cars. Last time I checked, I have never seen a truck or bus that use automatic transmission... These are most causes of accidents on the highway.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nuzo1(m): 10:11am On Sep 22, 2013
shoot@sight:
@ nuzo; Oga Ɣоυ αяє still comparing tundra and glk .. Why №ω ? Haba! Also Wђã† do u mean by newer diesel cars being expensive? Isn't it Τђε same Nigerians that buy crosstour and Toyota venza which year models start from 2009 or thereabout ?and cost anywhere from 30,000usd for a used model. Why will newer diesel versions №ω cost an arm and a leg ? Why should we even discuss diesel cars in relation †̥σ older models ? Mr, I experience hellish traffic jams as I am based in Lagos. I am sure Mr ikenna has been stuck too in traffic severally... I still maintain that I am yet †̥σ see anyone who complained of arm paralysis because he pushes a manual car. Even at that, most newer manual cars have barely perceptible gear changes, perhaps u have been driving an older make of manual.

You are a very funny guy Shoot@sight. I like that.
But the problem is you are so bent on shooting yourself at the foot. cheesy

Given, I may have bitten more than I could chew by comparing a GLK to Tundra. Pardon me, I was merely looking for the easiest way to let you guys into my mind and of course the mind of Nigerians when it comes to brands and their workability (Toyota compared to other brands). That example was lost in translation.

Now, allow me to compare a GLK to Toyota Highlander. I was opportune to drive a friend's Highlander a couple of times. After all said and done, a Toyota Highlander still comes out tops in terms of durability, reliability and cost. I mean why average Nigerian would prefer a Toyota brand shouldn't be a topic for debate.

Again, you guys are so disconnected with realities in Nigeria. Otherwise, you should've known by now that average Nigeriaans (majority) don't go for Venza and crosstour. They are exclusively for the rich (few). Also bear in mind that this debate arose with one of you not being comfortable with Nigerians preference of Toyota camry (pencil light).

You again showcased your disconnect with average Nigerians when you said we shouldn't be discussing older models of diesel engines. Why if I may ask? Again, are you not away that we are discussing about the average Nigerians and the model of cars they are driving now and in the near future (1998-2005 models)?

Bruh, I pushed a manual car for over 5 years in a less traffic jaam prone environment. I didn't get paralyzed but I sure cant forget what my family...especially my elder brother went through. Fatigue, muscle pull et al.

Fast forward such manual situation to our today's office/biz stress, bad roads, weather and traffic jam in our busy cities...Dude, its a killer!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nobody: 10:14am On Sep 22, 2013
Dantedasz: It is true that many Nigerians stereo type vehicles without actually having any practical experience of such vehicles.
Instances-
1. Vehicles fitted with injectors are problematic compared to one with a carburator.
2.Front wheel vehicles are not as good as those fitted with back axles.
3.Mannual gear system is better than auto gear system because you can not jump start a vehicle with an auto gear if your battery runs down one wet,rainy morning.
4.Vehicles produced by Toyota are better than ALL other cars.
5.Diesel powered cars are slow,noisy,smoke belching hunks of ugly metal.
Back to topic-while in reality these stereo types may not match the reality on the ground,it is also important we note that these stereotypes are guided by economic realities of Nigeria. Why buy a diesel powered vehicle when you are not sure of the availability of the commodity at many fuel stations?
Why use a diesel powered car when no one can vouch for the purity of the diesel you will certainly have to buy from the black marketeer on the street corner?
And of course,we all know there are NO good mechanics/technicians,who can repair these diesel powered engines in Nigeria.
So to answer the OP,while stereotypes may not be true,the harsh economic reality of Nigeria makes it more practical and reasonable to buy and use a petrol powered vehicle.

Bros there are mechanics to maintain diesel powered vehicles. Even if the mechanics are few, but there are mechanics who are very skillful with diesel engines. Who repair all the trucks, bulldozers, buses, and other diesel power equipment in nigeria? Are they shipped back abroad for servicing?

You claim u can't vouch for the purity of diesel. Can you also vouch for the purity of the purity of petrol in Nigeria where even food and water is adultrated?

Nigeria is a crude oil producing Nation, yet can we lay claim to having crude oil at all times? What happen to the petrol scarcity we experience, strike actions by petrol/crudeoil workers n allied personnel?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nobody: 10:27am On Sep 22, 2013
elektra80:

Last time I checked, I have never seen a truck or bus that use automatic transmission...
I have seen hundreds of trucks that uses automatic transmission system with artificial intelligence Eg. Mercedes Benz Actros. smiley

Gearbox
The second Actros generation comes with an
electronic sequential gearbox that Mercedes-Benz
has dubbed the "Telligent Gearbox". It pushes
forward the principle used in some earlier
Mercedes-Benz tractors; using the gearshift lever
to command a pneumatically actuated system
that changes the gears. The Telligent gearbox
utilizes a computer, together with a load-sensing
system on the fifth-wheel coupling, to estimate
the proper gear that the truck must be in. For
example, if you want to upshift, the computer
estimates the load on the tractor and the current
engine mode, and gives you the proper gear for
decreasing engine RPM. On the other hand, if you
want to downshift, the computer assumes you
wish to overtake, and gives you a proper gear for
acceleration.

There's an automatic version which works like the
Tiptronic system found in Mercedes-Benz cars.

The fourth-version launched in 2011 offers
exclusively the 12-speed powershift transmission.
Operation
The system consists of a small lever mounted
under the right armrest and a flat switch
underneath. The lever is slightly tilted, so that it
matches the natural curve of the driver's hand
when it's on the armrest. The lever has two
buttons on either side. When at a standstill, the
driver must push the left button, then (while
holding it), push the lever forward and release it
select fourth fast. The current gear is shown as a
large number on the main display. After doing
this, the driver steps on the clutch pedal and
waits for approximately two seconds. After the
gearshift has completed, a double click is
sounded through the speakers, and the driver
proceeds with pulling off as normal.
Once moving, the driver has two choices. He or
she may push or pull the lever to let the
computer choose the gear for them, or they can
use the splitter switch (the small switch under
the lever) to pre-select gears. Either way, the
gear is selected first, then the clutch is
depressed. For example, if you're in fourth fast,
pulling the splitter switch up once pre-selects fifth
slow.
The right button (known as the 'flush button', as
it is flush with the lever) is used to switch to
neutral.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by Nuzo1(m): 10:31am On Sep 22, 2013
Dantedasz:

Egbon, I have to admit that your submission here is the most confusing or complicated comment I've come across in recent times.

Its either they are sterotypes or they are prototpyes (true realities).

No hanging on the fence as border guards will be handy to deal with you squarely. angry grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? by babyboy3(m): 10:35am On Sep 22, 2013
I dont live in Nigeria, here in the UK most Nigerians or Afro-Caribbean avoided diesel engine cars because it sounds like a lorry and its not quick of the mark, but about 11 years ago I bought a Peugeot 406 1.9 diesel engine, and drove up to the North (somewhere between Liverpool and Manchester) and back to Kent on one tank of fuel, that was the day kissed good bye to petrol (when in Nigeria its different)

I finally sold it to my Polish neighbour who drove the car all the way Poland and back. The only problem with Peugeot diesel engine according to my Mech was the glow plug and changing it! but I didnt experience it when I had the BMW 325TD and the 320D

I now have my eyes on the A4 or A6 2 litre diesel engine

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Accident Occurs On 3rd Mainland Bridge This Evening / what will you do if you got This Car As A Gift ? / Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.