Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,172 members, 7,815,103 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:20 AM

Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? (16987 Views)

Nigerian Education Sector Needs Attention (fynestboi) / FG Reverts The Decision To Upgrade Colleges Of Education To Universities / FG Upgrades Four Colleges Of Education To Varsities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Sep 21, 2013
Bolushalom: Hello Everyone. :-)
As a student in a Nigerian University, would you drop your education in Nigeria to start over from the beginning abroad, for a course generally perceived to be inferior to the one you are currently studying in Nigeria. You however don't mind studying the course. By abroad, I mean the U.S
Dis is one of d easiest question dat I've seen today. My answer is capital HELL NO! Though ASUU is messing up buh c'mon, we gotta compare & contrast.
U.S is a racist country. I may get shot by any mad dog [remember Trayvon Marvin?] due to d availability of guns... Don't wanna type too much buh, I prefer 9ja to U.S
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by elrony(m): 10:02pm On Sep 21, 2013
Leo Adewale: Dis is one of d easiest question dat I've seen today. My answer is capital HELL NO! Though ASUU is messing up buh c'mon, we gotta compare & contrast.
U.S is a racist country. I may get shot by any mad dog [remember Trayvon Marvin?] due to d availability of guns... Don't wanna type too much buh, I prefer 9ja to U.S

Lmao..! cheesy grin

You might also be shot dead by Naija cultists lol grin

2 Likes

Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Sep 21, 2013
elrony:

Lmao..! cheesy grin

You might also be shot dead by Naija cultists lol grin
that's only if I pass my boundary. Abi who wan die before?
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Bamsdayo(m): 10:12pm On Sep 21, 2013
Bolushalom: LoL
lols
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Bamsdayo(m): 10:14pm On Sep 21, 2013
4mula22: Naaahhhhh!!!

I bet most pple that are saying they'll leave really don't know what they r talking about.
I had the opportunity when I was in my year 3 in uniport but I didn't go since I already had good grades
I have friends who studied in the UK, came out with good results, but are back to 9ja hustling with me.

they are doing him from home
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Bamsdayo(m): 10:17pm On Sep 21, 2013
pDude: Yes.

As I have come to see, Nigerian degree is like toilet paper even inside Nigeria sef.
HND in Nigeria is a car wash entrance in US

3 Likes

Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Aerocrystals(m): 10:35pm On Sep 21, 2013
Hmm...c Jamb question na...Capital YES!! I wil drop everytn in naija nd study abroad...as far as d country i'm going 2 dosent include d lyks of Pakistan, Iraq, Iran, Sudan, etc
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Aerocrystals(m): 10:39pm On Sep 21, 2013
Leo Adewale: Dis is one of d easiest question dat I've seen today. My answer is capital HELL NO! Though ASUU is messing up buh c'mon, we gotta compare & contrast.
na 4 Naija wey killings in d university no dey abi?...abeg i no gbadu dis ur point...its even safer studying there dan studying here
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by elrony(m): 10:44pm On Sep 21, 2013
Leo Adewale: that's only if I pass my boundary. Abi who wan die before?

Lolz sumtymz person no D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ even reach boundary sef...talk more of pass!!! grin
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by factorial1(m): 10:47pm On Sep 21, 2013
U've all spoken well...ma bosses!
I hate mediocrity with passion, as to wat others av said!...better answers could be infer'd! Swt dreams Sirs/Ma'ams'
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by lana1878(m): 11:17pm On Sep 21, 2013
Bolushalom: Hello Everyone. :-)
As a student in a Nigerian University, would you drop your education in Nigeria to start over from the beginning abroad, for a course generally perceived to be inferior to the one you are currently studying in Nigeria. You however don't mind studying the course. By abroad, I mean the U.S

You can easily make a transfer to the uni of your choice within the same decipline than begin again on another programme just request for your transcript from ur current skool and forward it to the uni u want and they will advise you on the level u to begin with them. That's what I did and I ended up finish 2yrs before my peers at UI
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by lovetterrison(m): 11:21pm On Sep 21, 2013
ayobase:

Sharrap, don't u see the sense of humour in his post!

I am a gentle man with a superb integrity you will never be able to achieve ,I won't waste my life seconds to educate you..Meanwhile continue to sip my tea and watching cool
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by lovetterrison(m): 11:24pm On Sep 21, 2013
Booty4me: why d name calling?
u shld have countered him or give ur opinion
Birdz of same feather lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Ndipe(m): 11:52pm On Sep 21, 2013
Absolutely, there is a remarkable difference between studying in Nigeria and abroad.
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Trypant(f): 12:15am On Sep 22, 2013
Gush! Are you still asking with the way things are in Nigeria? Or just maybe you are blind! Same day i received the news, am already in the destined country! ASUU is here holding me when am suppose to be a graduate by this september and you are asking? Where is the offer?
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Bootylicious(f): 1:22am On Sep 22, 2013
U shld quit and move on if u don't feel fulfilled, I was in d same shoes couple of years back, I applied for computer sciences in Nigeria, got meteorology and I wasn't happy abt it and did very poor in sch, my grades were bad buh deep down I knew I was not a poor student just lack of enthusiasm. I had 2 quit, travelled and did 3months program 2 rediscover myself and find my major strength and I chose human resources management... it was worth it at d long run....
Bolushalom: Thanks for your contribution. This is btw Law and Communications and media studies. I really dnt mind any of the courses. I want to be a Lawyer but I really find Nigerian Law boring, the whole process, the court system, and I dnt look forward to court visits, I didnt find what I expected when I applied and it killed my enthusiaasm. As for communication and Media studies, I really dnt mind.
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Bootylicious(f): 1:30am On Sep 22, 2013
Drop ur agric econs and go for Info tech in malaysia!!!!
Dongozzy6: I have wished to open a thread like this but I'm still a novice inthe site...I have a similar issue just like hers!I'm a 100level student going to 200lvl(ASUU strike)...an Agric-economics student!I have been given the opportunity to study "Information Technology" in malaysia but I'm being skeptical about making the rightful choice....pls!i need a sincere and witty advice from viewers!tnks
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by sholasho(m): 4:00am On Sep 22, 2013
lana1878:

You can easily make a transfer to the uni of your choice within the same decipline than begin again on another programme just request for your transcript from ur current skool and forward it to the uni u want and they will advise you on the level u to begin with them. That's what I did and I ended up finish 2yrs before my peers at UI

Shikenna. Thats Just it.
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Nobody: 4:11am On Sep 22, 2013
Thank God I wasn't educated in Nigeria cry
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by succyreal(m): 6:08am On Sep 22, 2013
Yes of cos
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Idrismusty97(m): 8:07am On Sep 22, 2013
turl:

Lol not true. If you study a course that isn't marketable anywhere, you will starve! abroad or not.
lol.if he will starve abroad plz tell me what is worse than starving because that is what he will do in nigeria.
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by opeyemi2012(m): 9:18am On Sep 22, 2013
@OP, from your post, I can deduce that you are a law student of a Nigerian University whose law programme is not accredited by the NUC (maybe Lead City University or NOUN).

Aside the above fact, I see no reason why you would abandon your studies in Nigeria and start afresh in the US. Of course, a UK/US/Canadian degree is priceless......yet it isn't worth abandoning your studies at home in your penultimate year.

Law is a fine course especially in Nigeria where people always have a reason to seek for legal assistance in one way or another. If your law degree is accredited by NUC, then it is recognized worldwide. My advise to you is to complete your law degree and seek a postgraduate degree abroad.

You may think you are young and time is still on your side but what stops you from using your productive years to build a career and garner experience instead of pursuing an undergraduate degree over again. Let me tell u categorically that should you decide to go to US to start an undergraduate, you will be shocked to see what your mates have achieved upon your return. A law graduate from Nigeria with a postgraduate degree obtained in Nigeria is better recognised than an ordinary graduate of Law from US or UK, quote me!

The honest truth about the Nigerian labour market of today is that experience and skill is considered more valuable to an employer than certificates. Hence, an international degree is not considered above one obtained within the shores of Nigeria. I have friends who have foreign degrees but are unemployed, I also have friends with degree from University of Maiduguri working at NNPC. Infact, most of the NNPC staff I met recently had their postgraduate degrees from National Open University of Nigeria.

Except your course is not accredited, it's wiser to just round up your law degree here and pursue a higher degree in Law from the vast array available in the UK or US universities (Oil and Gas Law, Entertainment Law, Criminal Law, International Law etc) or better still, you can diversify with a higher degree in Criminology, International Relations, Peace and Conflict Resolution etc.

Good Luck!!!
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Theblessed(f): 11:32am On Sep 22, 2013
[b][size=16pt] There is no such thing as 'Nigerian Education' here, ok!

First and foremost, the current Education system in Nigeria is, British Education - they laid the foundation and structures.

British Education is revered all over the world. Unfortunately over the years, this quality education has been destroyed by our corrupt system. It was never like this, when my father's generation went to school in this country - theirs were quality education gained first hand and directly from Missionaries/Priests that came to develop Nigeria at the time.

And you can see it from the way that generation spoke and use English language - it feels as though, they were educated in Britain.

Imagine, our own generation, we can not even put sentences together let alone spell correctly.

It is this shortfall in the education system, that people are running away from thus, seeking educational relief abroad and who would blame them, as the British Education, generations of Nigerians grew up with, is no longer there rather, blame the corrupt Nigerian system as a whole that brought it to its knees - that is what people are running away from therefore, if people can afford to study abroad, I can not see why they shouldn't.

So, what seems as Nigerian education, is British - after all, they laid down the structure.

And, for all Nigerians to embrace quality Education again, here in this country, both our leaders and ourselves must strive to change our attitudes and love our country a little bit more instead of working against its growth, development and prosperity that way we will have confidence and pride in ourselves and appreciate what we have/produced - eh, I do not mean crude oil here o o! grin grin grin
[/size][/b]

2 Likes

Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by joe4christ(m): 11:43am On Sep 22, 2013
Never, what's so special about this abroad thing that is so overrated
I have a dream and a vision, and i wont let no abroad sh*t distract me.
I know where i'm headed!

1 Like

Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by DarryOsh(m): 12:07pm On Sep 22, 2013
Dear Theblessed, typin in mega fonts in bright colours is equivalent to sreaming to be heard. It is distracting and offensive. Thnkz
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Tbozz2013(m): 12:33pm On Sep 22, 2013
Big Yes..........Cuz 9ja admission self ‎​Na̶̲̥̅̊ wahala..... A̶̲̥̅♏ i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ final year of study d course ℓ̊ dn't like cuz of admission frustration ℓ̊ dey manage it....... ℓ̊ go leave big time
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Sep 22, 2013
lana1878:

I'm a UIte too lol. But the Law is different, I dnt think I can transfer, and to study law in the US, you must have had a Bachelor's degree.

1 Like

Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Sep 22, 2013
hmmm undecided
hmmm
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by EreluY(f): 8:18pm On Sep 22, 2013
amnestylaw1:

I will talk from experience. Before I got admission to OAU, I had studied Mass Comm up to the ND level. At OAU, I was in LLB 3 when the opportunity to travel abroad to further my education arrived. People advised me not to unless I finish my legal studies but I said NO. Of course I got admitted into Law at the University of London International Programmes. This year my mates are just finishing from Law school in Nigeria while I am still at school here. I found out that even when I graduate from London International Programmes Law, I cannot be a Barrister and Solicitor in Nigeria because the programme I am taking is considered distance learning by the Council for Legal Education in Nigeria. Any Law degree earned via distance learning or part time outside Nigeria (even within Nigeria) is not recognized for NYSC mobilization and Law School mobilization.

So, I would advise you to finish your law programme in Nigeria and then go abroad to continue your LLM. That is better. But, if you must travel abroad, then please do not attend a distance learning program- especially if it is Law. With Communication and Media Studies, I would like that course because I am currently eyeing teaching positions in one of our universities or colleges. Of course you may work in the media as a presenter or journalist. My one cent.

@the bolden and coloured text: UK does not grant visas for international students to pursue distance learning courses. You must have been granted UK visas on the basis of an entirely different claim. I share your view concerning completing your course in Nigeria and then doing your PG studies abroad, especially if the individual concerned is already in her/his final year.

About your own situation, forget about the Nigerian Law School requirements. Many retired judges and SANs including Gani Fawehinmi took their LLBs from London University as external candidates. Listen, if you're in the UK, and you complete your LLB with 2.1 within the time allowed (normally 6 years), the LLB is a QLD, and you can proceed to undertake your BVC or LPC, depending on whether you wish to become of a Barrister or a Solicitor. Nigeria is a dead, rotten meat, don't let it's obnoxious rule truncate your legal calling.

1 Like

Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by valigil: 10:20pm On Sep 22, 2013
Work from your Mobile Phone, Tablet, Laptop & get paid. Visit http://www./WDMAz now. You have NOTHING TO LOOSE. ALL countries ACCEPTED
Re: Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? by Manchidede(m): 2:31am On Sep 23, 2013
B4 nko?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Federal Polytechnic Ilaro Locks Out Students From Entering School Premises / Quacks: "I Was Specific About 3, Not All State Universities" - Prof Osodeke / How ASUU Strike Is Promoting Prostitution, Unemployment, Poverty – Stakeholders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.