Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,759 members, 7,809,925 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:18 PM

Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? (6018 Views)

Ambode At The 22nd Anniversary Of June 12, 1993 Presidential Election (pics) / Those Who Signed-Away June 12, 1993 Victory To Military Government / 1993 Presidential Debate Between Late Bashorun Mko Abiola And Alhaji Bashir (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by Akolawole(m): 2:00am On Jun 05, 2006
What a day in Nigeria's history?

It is almost 13 years since that memorable election.

The custodian of that mandate is Bahorun M.K.O Abiola(of blessed memory)

What have we learn from that election?

What can you say about the principal characters of June 12?

The roles of Abubakar Atiku,Sheu Yaradua,Kudi Abiola, Arisekola Alao, Arthur Nzeribe,Abubakar Rimi, Alhaji Adedubu, Alhaji Sofela and of course .

The later roles of Bola Tinubu, Ladoja, Ajasin, Gani, Bola Ige.

I will never forget the "role" of Great Zik.

Lets not forget Option A4.

Lets hear from you guys.

Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by Akolawole(m): 2:02am On Jun 05, 2006
More pic:

Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by DaHitler(m): 2:04am On Jun 05, 2006
I have not forgotten. I hope other Nigerians have no forgotten too. Judging by the amount of votes IBB gets, we will be able to see who has forgotten.

Note: if IBB wins, I am going to give up my Nigerian citizenship and I will never speak of this country ever again.
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by Abeem(m): 5:40am On Jun 05, 2006
Administrator,
Please shame the printer's devil by changing the caption to: Is June 12, 1993 Presidential Election Forgotten?
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by Abeem(m): 6:17am On Jun 05, 2006
June 12, 1993, remains a watershed in the election history of the country. It was the date, Nigerians from all walks of life spoke in unison, albeit with their vote, in electing Alhaji M.K.O. Abiola and Alhaji Babagana Kingibe as president and vice president of the country. This day should have been set aside for remembrance as democracy day and not May 29 as Obasanjo's administration has decreed contrary to the voice of reason of pro-democracy and human rights organizations.
If Nigeria were to be a country that respect its citizens, it would've been possible for the people to force the government to change its stand by declaring June 12 as democracy day instead of May 29. In a civilized country, this is easily achievable by submitting a petition duly signed to the president and he is duty bound to honor it.
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by Akolawole(m): 1:52pm On Jun 05, 2006
@Everyone

have we learn anything from that election?
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by ono(m): 2:03pm On Jun 05, 2006
Well, me think we've learnt quite a lot from it. And it's time to move on and ''forget'' the past
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by Akolawole(m): 12:40am On Jun 06, 2006
The electionis the fairest and most freest election in Nigeria.

I think Option A4 is the best.
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by zebudaya(m): 1:05pm On Jun 06, 2006
everybody says the election was freest and fairest in nigeria, which election is free and fair in Nigeria ?, at that time we were top 2 most corrupt countries in the world, and since leopards can't and dont change their spots, and old habits die hard there is a huge possibility that the election was rigged.

Now back to the issue at hand Abiola financed every major coup at least 10 years before 93, he financed babangida's so since you reap what you sow i have no pity left for a ruthless person.

yes i have forgotten june 12 and it seems some in his family have forgotten too check this out http://odili.net/news/source/2006/jun/3/605.html
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by otokx(m): 1:30pm On Jun 06, 2006
I have not forgotten it, this was an election that broke all religious and cultural barriers. Even Bashir Tofa if I remember correctly lost his state to MKO.
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by omogenaija(f): 2:11pm On Jun 06, 2006
June 12 is my uncle's b-day.
The day my grandpa died.
And the day we found out that my grandma had cancer.
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by jeffolala(f): 3:04pm On Jun 06, 2006
june 12 4ever
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by bluenubian(f): 3:45pm On Jun 06, 2006
i hope we all remember it in a positive way, i was soo young and didnt understand what was going on then, all i remember was the one year anniversary, and the riots and killings, imagine being a 9 yr old kid, hearing all the horrible stories of the violence on the streets, SCARY!!!
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by wiseguy(m): 4:25pm On Jun 06, 2006
No Sir! I have not forgotten. This is the most freest and fairest election in the history of this country. An election where Igbos, hausas and yourubas voted for one man without looking at his ethinic origin or religion. That was the only election I have ever participated in my life in this country. The 99 and 2003 election was too violent for me to even step out of my house not to talk of getting close to the polling booth.

I pray God to forgive us and give us that kind of election again and option A4 remains the best for this country for now.
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by princeonx: 5:14pm On Jun 06, 2006
Thank God I hate politrick! but I remember June 12 and all the drammer that came with it!
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by Alexos(m): 5:26pm On Jun 09, 2006
I WILL NEVER FORGET THAT DAY!!!

EVEN IF I DO FORGET ABOUT ABIOLA'S CASE, I WILL ALWAYS REMEBER ITS MY PASTOR'S BIRTHDAY
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by bluenubian(f): 8:34pm On Jun 09, 2006
ur pastors birthday, hmmm ?
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by pascal(m): 9:30am On Jun 10, 2006
June 12 1993 is history now and can only be made reference to. Any way our children unborn will still talk about it.

And the option A4 still remains the best in selecting the president of the country.

wink
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by Akolawole(m): 12:32pm On Jun 11, 2006
I learnt a lot about June 12.

Among them is:

1) Though quite a lot of money is needed to win political post, but one need to know the "art and rudiments of politics", which was lacking in the person of Chief Abiola.
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by Gkings(m): 8:19am On Jun 12, 2006
Today is june 12, ibb is launching his presidential ambition. At abuja, watch out for the real reasons behind the annulment
lipsrsealed
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by favourite(f): 10:22am On Jun 12, 2006
There is always confusion in Lagos state whether people should go to work on June 12 or not. what do u think the government (both state and federal) should do to clear this
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by twinstaiye(m): 11:24am On Jun 12, 2006
If the state government declare June 12 as public holiday, it has to be observed, because it has the constitutional right under exclusive list (I hope it is in exclusive list) to declare public holiday just like its federal counterparts.
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by Rottweiler(m): 3:27pm On Jun 12, 2006
There are two reasons why anybody would question the declaration of June 12 as a public holiday:

1. The person was still a kid in 1993 so the date doesn't make a meaning to him/her
2. The person is one of the anti-democratic forces around. The mere mention of June 12 gives him/her the jitters.

June 12 is a very symbolic date in the lives of all democracy-loving Nigerian. That was the day Nigerians irrespective of ethnic grouping, religious affiliations, geographical distribution, educational background, financial status, etc decided to kick the military out by voting for people with vision. People that feel the pulse of the citizens. People that know the cost of petrol. People that know the cost of a tuber of yam in the market. People that are not arrongant. People that are not self-centered.

Tell me, what happened on May 29 that marks it out as DEMOCRACY DAY? The election that ushered the present government into power in 1999 was characterised by massive riggings. People did not vote in most areas because a lot did not know where the voting centers were. The ballot boxes were hijacked and votes alloted! May 29 is DEMONCRACY DAY!
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by Akolawole(m): 4:11pm On Jun 12, 2006
Bashir Tofa saysthe result is inconclusive.

http://odili.net/news/source/2006/jun/11/310.html

Thanks to option A4 anyway.
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by SirKay3(m): 9:50pm On Jun 12, 2006
So far so good, June 12 is not forgotten in our minds, but the situation of things in Naija made it so. It's the only election so far that cuts through all the nooks and crannies of the country, even beyond, cos of the responses of people despite the heavy downpour of rain, coincidentally in every part of the country that day. The election bound us together despite our religious and ethnic differences.

It can never be wished away just like that
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by Akolawole(m): 10:32pm On Jun 12, 2006
No Rigging.

We queue up behind either Bashir Tofa and Moshood Abiola.

Votes were counted there and then.

Results announced there and then.

Before that evening, nearly everybody had colated the results only wait for Nwosu to declare the winner.
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by kitaun(m): 1:06pm On Jun 13, 2006
did u see sunny okosun at the opc event to commemmorate june 12,he looked so sick,or probably he is still mourning his good old friend,hmmh so much for how we kill our leaders and thereafter declare them as the best leaders we never had cry cry
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by Nobody: 7:26am On Jun 17, 2006
wink
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by ATLANTA96(m): 2:23am On May 22, 2007
is unforgetable day,
i pity those that lust the life and families is a bad day
for mostly the east,
may there soul rest in peace
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by ATLANTA96(m): 3:22am On May 22, 2007
I WAS IN NIGERIA WHEN THIS CHURCH JUST CAME OUT, BUT BEFORE U KNEW IT IS ALL OVER THE PLACE,
PLS TELL ME MORE ABOUT THIS CHURCH I REALLY CARE TO KNOW
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by thecolonel: 5:21am On May 22, 2007
no body will forget it
Re: Is The June 12 (1993) Presidential Election Forgotten? by abiodunade(m): 6:50pm On May 22, 2007
Akolawole:

No Rigging.

We queue up behind either Bashir Tofa and Moshood Abiola.

Votes were counted there and then.

Results announced there and then.

Before that evening, nearly everybody had colated the results only wait for Nwosu to declare the winner.
Honestly speaking, u make me remember one of d day i will never 4get n my life and d political history of nigeria is nt complete witout d mentioning of dat great man who sacrified his life 4 d enthronement of democracy n nigeria. I always tell pple dat care to listen dat M.K.O Abiola needs to b celebrated n dis country because his election brought d attention of d world to dis country which made 4 ibb to step aside. Abiola was d hero of our democracy, am nt happi dat d government is nt celebrating june 12 as democracy day n nigeria, if Abiola have nt dead n custody, Obj wouldnt ve got d opprtunity to b president. Money Kudi Owo(M.K.O) was a great man and he dead 4 a cause he believed in, he wanted to liberate d poor masses 4r abject poverty bt ibb and some useless elites did nt allow him to actualise his dream. He has his shortcoming too, bt his good deeds out weight his bad deeds to humanity when he was alive. I love courageous men like him, he fought to end, he will always b rememberd by d good pple of nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! / Obi Grants Amnesty To 21 Prisoners In Anambra / [PHOTOS] Buhari Pictured With Obasanjo's Alleged Money Launderer 'anne Welsh'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.