Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,658 members, 7,820,297 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:42 PM

Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! (6030 Views)

People In Jos Climb Mast Just To Listen To Buhari During Campaign / Warning; Jos Is Burning / Alert! Alert! Alert! Jos Is About To Boil Now! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by Enjoyment1(f): 7:13pm On Apr 11, 2010
Jos boils again
By Agency Reporter, Published: Sunday, 11 Apr 2010

Plateau State Governor, Jonah David Jang

Suspected Fulani gangs on Sunday burned homes in the village of Kura Jenta in Jos South Local Government Area of Plateau State. The Berom village of Kura Jenta has been at the centre of tit-for-tat attacks this year which have left hundreds dead.

The suspected Fulani attackers targeted homes belonging to three top officials in Kura Jenta, according to residents.

”Apparently the attackers were on a murder mission, they wanted to use the same tactics used in Dogo Nahawa, setting homes ablaze and then waiting for people to come out to be killed,” a local cleric Raymond Gboum told AFP.

The occupants of the houses -- built with concrete blocks and zinc roofs -- did not come out until the attackers had fled, he added.

The targets were two former senior government officials and a brother of a local chairman of Jos south local government area, residents said.

Army spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Galadima Sherika said at least three houses and four cars were torched in the attack staged shortly after midnight.

Kuru Jenta is close to Kuru Karama, a former mining village and Muslim enclave in a Christian district south of Jos, where attackers killed more than 150 Muslim villagers in January.

Corpses were stuffed in water wells, pits, and sewer and irrigation canals, while others were burnt.

Fulani herdsmen launched a wave of attacks on five Berom villages in March, slaughtering more than 500 people according to state officials.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2010041117405398
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by Nobody: 7:14pm On Apr 11, 2010
Heard about it, nobody died, thank God !
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by Enjoyment1(f): 7:15pm On Apr 11, 2010
Will these killings ever end? Shot at sight order will reduce this killings, at least!.
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by Enjoyment1(f): 7:16pm On Apr 11, 2010
frosbel:

Heard about it, nobody died, thank God !

Government really have to do something, to end this madness!.
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by safeact(m): 7:30pm On Apr 11, 2010
Hv not heard of it even at DSTV.
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by Enjoyment1(f): 7:37pm On Apr 11, 2010
safeact:

Hv not heard of it even at DSTV.

You may not have it on DSTV, except on local channels on DSTV. Meanwhile, if Nigeria was to be like other African countries, civil war would have been imminent.
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by chidichris(m): 7:43pm On Apr 11, 2010
our jonathan is busy travelling to usa while our ppl are dying here and there.
can someone pls tell jonathan to come back home and put his house in order
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by Enjoyment1(f): 7:50pm On Apr 11, 2010
chidichris:

That is exactly what I told many, that were praising Jonathan, that is too early. Nigerian leaders can never be trusted with power. Right now, he is being invited to US, and it is an opportunity for him to sell his manifesto to Americans, and the western world.
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by DL(m): 7:58pm On Apr 11, 2010
chidichris:

Please tell me why you're blaming Jonathan? Is he the omnipotent that can be everyewhere? These gangs have been killing since OBJ's regime.
Rather you should address the real issue which is - what do these northern militants(as I would like to call them) want?
FYI they also killed some muslims in previous riots.
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by Nobody: 8:02pm On Apr 11, 2010
These things will unfortunately continue untill we face these problems head on.

The expansion of the jurisdiction of Sharia law must be challenged by Federal Government.
Federal Government must also begin National re-orientation and enforcement of the right of ever Nigerian to live anywhere.
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by Enjoyment1(f): 8:08pm On Apr 11, 2010
mikeansy:

These things will unfortunately continue untill we face these problems head on.

The expansion of the jurisdiction of Sharia law must be challenged by Federal Government.
Federal Government must also begin National re-orientation and enforcement of the right of ever Nigerian to live anywhere.

The annoying aspect of it all is that, the same idiot that blow open this sharia madness in Nigeria, is daily committing sin against the same law he enforced. What can be said of a man that married a 13 year old girl, if actually the girl is 13?
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by MeAboki(m): 8:32pm On Apr 11, 2010
mikeansy:

An obvious ignorant statement, kindly inform us as to how sharia law or your perceived expansion of its jurisdiction has anything to do with the killings in jos? Please feel free to explain how. angry
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by haronky7: 8:53pm On Apr 11, 2010
Why is this country so lawless?

People just go on rampage killing others, and getting away with it without being arrested or brought to book. And I dont think Jonathan needed to be around to tell the Police or Men of the Armed Forces to respond to a civil unrest, and maintain order in their jurisdiction.

Of course, this kind of lawless behaviour would only be reinforced if these people are not apprehended.

God help us!
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by Nobody: 8:55pm On Apr 11, 2010
Me_Aboki:

An obvious ignorant statement, kindly inform us as to how sharia law or your perceived expansion of its jurisdiction has anything to do with the killings in jos? Please feel free to explain how. angry

General Domkat Bali, Nigeria's former Defence Chief says what has also helped stoke up the mistrust in Jos is the attempt by the Hausa/Fulani community to institute Sharia Law in Jos while the Berom people are not willing to accept it.

Now because there has been an illegal expansion of the Jurisdiction of Sharia Law in 12 core Northern States including the neighbouring state of Bauchi and the Federal Government refused to challenge it. The Islamic extremists are emboldened and are trying to export it to other parts of Nigeria.
The export of Sharia Law to Oyo is evidence of this.

So while you have the luxury to call me ignorant or naive, I doubt you can say that General Domkat Bali does not know what he is talking about.

If the Federal Government defends the Nigerian Constitution and prevents these expansions in 12 Northern States, and also implements every Nigerian's right to live anywhere. It will become clear to all that the Hausa/Fulani have every right to live in Jos and pursue their business legitimately. It will also be clear to the Hausa/Fulani that Nigeria is a secular society where the practice of state religion is illegal and where all must avoid the imposition of a certain way of life on others.
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by Enjoyment1(f): 9:05pm On Apr 11, 2010
mikeansy:

General Domkat Bali, Nigeria's former Defence Chief says what has also helped stoke up the mistrust in Jos is the attempt by the Hausa/Fulani community to institute Sharia Law in Jos while the Berom people are not willing to accept it.

Now because there has been an illegal expansion of the Jurisdiction of Sharia Law in 12 core Northern States including the neighbouring state of Bauchi and the Federal Government refused to challenge it. The Islamic extremists are emboldened and are trying to export it to other parts of Nigeria.

So while you have the luxury to call me ignorant or naive, I doubt you can say that General Domkat Bali does not know what he is talking about.

If the Federal Government defends the Nigerian Constitution and prevents these expansions in 12 Northern States, and also implements every Nigerian's right to live anywhere. It will become clear to all that the Hausa/Fulani have every right to live in Jos and pursue their business legitimately. It will also be clear to the Hausa/Fulani that Nigeria is a secular society where the practice of state religion is illegal and where all must avoid the imposition of a certain way of life on others.

Hmm undecided
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by Oboma1(m): 9:12pm On Apr 11, 2010
Enjoyment1:

Jos boils again

Suspected Fulani gangs on Sunday burned homes in the village of Kura Jenta in Jos South Local Government Area of Plateau State. The Berom village of Kura Jenta has been at the centre of bosom-for-tat attacks this year which have left hundreds dead.

The suspected Fulani attackers targeted homes belonging to three top officials in Kura Jenta, according to residents.

”Apparently the attackers were on a murder mission, they wanted to use the same tactics used in Dogo Nahawa, setting homes ablaze and then waiting for people to come out to be killed,” a local cleric Raymond Gboum told AFP.

The occupants of the houses -- built with concrete blocks and zinc roofs -- did not come out until the attackers had fled, he added.

I tire for these crisis in Jos. The solution is simple, let the government show more commitment to Jos killings, and these crisis will reduce at least.
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by violent(m): 9:17pm On Apr 11, 2010
What amazes me in this is that the said occupant refused to run out when their home got touched.

Now i guess the simple solution to prevent yourself from being butchered is to stay home even if your house is being razed down

And as for those screaming Jonathan's name, i really don't see how his presence could have curbed such situation.

What the government ought to do is to force Hausa, Fulani and Muslim leaders to condemn violence openly, many of these guys that take part in such unprovoked acts are sheep by nature, they listen to their leaders
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by Nobody: 9:22pm On Apr 11, 2010
violent:

What amazes me in this is that the said occupant refused to run out when their home got touched.

Now i guess the simple solution to prevent yourself from being butchered is to stay home even if your house is being razed down

And as for those screaming Jonathan's name, i really don't see how his presence could have curbed such situation.

What the government ought to do is to force Hausa, Fulani and Muslim leaders to condemn violence openly, many of these guys that take part in such unprovoked acts are sheep by nature, they listen to their leaders

Thats another good one. Did you see the condemnation from Jacob Zuma when a Black South African killed a White Supremacist and supporter of the Apartheid regime?

Nigerian leaders from North fail to reject the babarism that goes on in their neighbourhood.
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by Oboma1(m): 9:28pm On Apr 11, 2010
mikeansy:

Thats another good one. Did you see the condemnation from Jacob Zuma when a Black South African killed a White Supremacist and supporter of the Apartheid regime?

Nigerian leaders from North fail to reject the babarism that goes on in their neighbourhood.

Good talk.
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by Goldmind1(m): 9:59pm On Apr 11, 2010
The same goodmorning Ojukwu told the people of Niger delta is what I say to the people of Jos and to the rest of Nigeria, except the North west and North east geo-political zone.
I know Gowon is seeing how the Nigeria he fought for, is ravaging his home state.

Well, thank God they have tried this madness in the south east. I know the south eastners would not condone this.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA. I STILL STAND ON SOVEREIGN NATIONAL CONFERENCE, THAT IS THE ONLY WAY FORWARD FOR NIGERIA.
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by Nobody: 10:14pm On Apr 11, 2010
@mikeansy

I guess your comments is borne out of limited info.
Contrary to your assertion. Muslim leaders, Christian leaders, northern leaders & muslim bodies condemn the ugly incidence in Jos.

Moreover, the crisis is simply a political one which at least borders on citizenship and/or its terms & condition (which again is a political failure.)

Let's demonstrate fairness to others.

FYI
http://politifi.com/news/Nigerian-Islamic-leader-Islam-is-a-Religion-of-Peace-265841.html
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5538684-146/religious_leaders_denounce_jos_violence_.csp
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by Nobody: 10:28pm On Apr 11, 2010
AIRDIG:

@mikeansy

I guess your comments is borne out of limited info.
Contrary to your assertion. Muslim leaders, Christian leaders, northern leaders, muslim bodies condemn the ugly incidence in Jos.

Moreover, the crisis is simply a political one which at least borders on citizenship and/or its terms & condition (which again is a political failure.)

Let's demonstrate fairness to others.

FYI
http://politifi.com/news/Nigerian-Islamic-leader-Islam-is-a-Religion-of-Peace-265841.html
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5538684-146/religious_leaders_denounce_jos_violence_.csp

This claim that the crisis is political is very very very hollow.

Has the killings been PDP targeting ANPP? Has it been PDP targeting AC? are the kids butchered in Jos card carrying members of any political party?
Are you telling me that the chuches and Mosques burnt down in Jos sometimes on days of worship does not contain people of different political spectrum?
What is the basis of this claim that the crisis in Jos is political?

Look you can continue to live in denial but the facts remain the facts.

The proximate causes of the fight in Jos may be attributed to land, cattles, waters, Air etc. But the fact remains that the fundamental and remote causes of these fights are as old as the history of this country. If we dont address these issues we can never address the mistrusts that exists between us.

These issues include:
1. ill informed Indigene/Settler dichotomy
2. illegal practice of state religion against the provisions of section 10 of the constitution

we can either address these issues or pretend we have higher understandings of the problem while living in denial.
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by MeAboki(m): 10:51pm On Apr 11, 2010
mikeansy:

And so General Domkat Bali constitute an Alhpa/omega opinion on the issue

FYI sharia where ever introduced in Nigeria has and shall always apply to muslims only and to suggest that it would be imposed on the beroms or other non believers is not only inacurate but mischievious.
Yes, you are ignorant on the matter.
First of all, no state has adopted any religion, Islam, christianity or otherwise, as its official relgion  - not even the sharia states that you mentioned, because it would have been unconstitutional given that Nigeria is secular.

However, adotion of sharia and its implementation on muslims by any of the states that wish to do so is quite legal, legitimate and  constitutional

The constitution permits every state to enact local laws for use within the that state as it deems fit( including sharia) as long as such law does not conflict with the constitution.

In the case of sharia , it is deemed part and parcel  of the Islamic religion for muslims. I am sure you will not argue at this jucnture  that the constitution (see bill of rights) guarantees every citizen the right and freedom to practice his/her religion - muslims included.

Therefore, the  federal government has nothing to challenge as far as sharia is concerned, only ignorant and misinformed people like yourself think otherwise - though you are free to dislike it.

By the way, this is not a blind endorsement by me that sharia is a perfect law free of shortcomings or that it will not be subject to abuse and misapplication in the wrong hands.
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by Nobody: 11:20pm On Apr 11, 2010
277 (2) For the purposes of subsection (1) of this section, the sharia Court of Appeal shall be competent to decide -

(a) any question of Islamic personal Law regarding a marriage concluded in accordance with that Law, including a question relating to the validity or dissolution of such a marriage or a question that depends on such a marriage and relating to family relationship or the guardianship of an infant;

(b) where all the parties to the proceedings are muslims, any question of Islamic personal Law regarding a marriage, including the validity or dissolution of that marriage, or regarding family relationship, a founding or the guarding of an infant;

(c) any question of Islamic personal Law regarding a wakf, gift, will or succession where the endower, donor, testator or deceased person is a muslim;

(d) any question of Islamic personal Law regarding an infant, prodigal or person of unsound mind who is a muslim or the maintenance or the guardianship of a muslim who is physically or mentally infirm; or

(e) where all the parties to the proceedings, being muslims, have requested the court that hears the case in the first instance to determine that case in accordance with Islamic personal law, any other question.

The constitution only recognises the use of Sharia law to resolve customary disputes like marriage, divorces, inheritance. But most importantly it says all parties to the disputes must consent to the law being used to resolve the matter.

It is illegal to use Sharia to resolve issues like theft, fraud and the current sharia criminal code launched in 12 Northern States is illegal.

Besides that you have hisbah going around Kano telling them they must sell Alcohol only in Baracks and Military quaters, that people can only dress in certain way on the streets. That is simply enforcing a certain way of life in these states and we all know that hisbah is sponsored by the Kano State Government. That is simply State practice of religion when a state government has a religious police enforcing a certain way of life.
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by Nobody: 11:23pm On Apr 11, 2010
And by the way Domkat Bali is a former Defence Chief who is on the ground in Jos and it is his home town. So he is a credible authority as far as the Jos issues goes.
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by jamace(m): 12:05am On Apr 12, 2010
Frankly speaking, Jos crises will be referred to in future as one of the immediate causes of the breakup of Nigeria. Quote me. A lot of silent killings on both sides (christians and muslims) have been taking place but our leaders have only been blowing grammar and enriching themselves through the crises. None of them wants to tell the truth.

Nigeria as I see it today is a failed state (crucify me if you like! angry) . Nigeria is a country where the leaders do not believe in the cause of  the country.  The leaders think abroad in all their actions. For examples; our leaders think abroad when they are sick, they think abroad when they steal our money; they also think abroad for their children's education and even think abroad when they want to have a nice holiday. Try and challenge any of these so-call leaders on why Nigeria is not functioning well and they will  shock you will their unpatroitic response.

If the leaders have lost faith in the good of the country, is it the security forces that will risk their lives for the citizens? In  this latest incidence in Jos, I learnt that one of the leaders in the affected area in Jos complained bitterly, that there were about 5 soldiers deployed to guard the area but the soldiers were no where to be found when the attack took place. The leader alleged connivance of the security personnel with the attackers.

As this was happening, it was reported by the PPRO Abuja, Mr Ojukwu that a vehicle conveying boxes of ammunitions heading to Jos was intercepted by the police at Saminaka. The ammunition was  said to have been bought from Gusau by one Alhaji living in Jos. The Alhaji was said to be at large.

My people, do not be decieved. War is imminent in Nigeria. Break-up is inevitable.
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by Oboma1(m): 11:53am On Apr 12, 2010
jamace:

Frankly speaking, Jos crises will be referred to in future as one of the immediate causes of the breakup of Nigeria. Quote me. A lot of silent killings on both sides (christians and muslims) have been taking place but our leaders have only been blowing grammar and enriching themselves through the crises. None of them wants to tell the truth.

You may have a point here.
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by bisiaet: 12:40pm On Apr 12, 2010
This donkey head Fula again?

The issue at hand I dont see reasons why anybody or any poster should blame Jonathan what is the crime of Jonathan in this fresh trouble? Will Jonathan be praying for trouble so that he will sit back in Aso Rock? It's quiet official what he went for since the man called Yar dua is no where to be find will Jonathan fold his arms and Nigeria position in the world will keep on dwindling every second? Even in a war ravage countries their president still go on official assignment even Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan their leaders still travel so for goodness sake why blaming Jonathan that he travelled when Jos is this or that.

But for the so called cow-minded silly Fulas one good day they will meet their waterloo and it will be a game of no return for them. Mr Fulani's please carry on dont stop your evil deed if you stop that means you are a bastards, since you have vow not to let Nigeria at peace and since you have vow not to let your neighbours at peace carry on ok if you stop you are no more Fulani. Idiots!!!
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by otukpo(f): 12:44pm On Apr 12, 2010
The Fed govt shld do something abt Jos.
Enough of these crisis and killings.
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by mooyguy(m): 1:09pm On Apr 12, 2010
Honestly gvt should do something very fast because it will not stop. Are Corpers also been posted to this hell of a place while all these crisi is still going on?
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by agitator: 1:10pm On Apr 12, 2010
I don't know how publicly condemning the actions/killings will stop this bloodshed.   how many times has how leaders condemned corruption in public?  Africans say one thing in public while their hearts are on something different.  I have not seen where condemning has stopped anything.  Suicide bombing is condemned by all the middle east and north african countries, yet it happens daily.
Re: Sunday Breaking News: Jos Is On Fire Again! by Nobody: 1:55pm On Apr 12, 2010
Wetin[i] consign [/i] me sef with this Jos:

I beg, wen we go hear something pleasant to the ears from this forsaken Northern Nigeria?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

South-East Leaders Endorse Jonathan For 2011 / FG Generates 21,000 Jobs With SURE-P – Minister / CNN Inside Africa On Infrastructure Tour In Akwa Ibom - Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.