Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,529 members, 7,826,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! (10289 Views)

Stanbic IBTC Bank Recruitment For Graduate Tellers / What Is The Salary For Marketers In Access Bank / Likely Answer To Question In Access Bank Interview. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by thrugemaster(m): 7:57am On Sep 26, 2013
ACCESS BANK I HATE..... Stupid pple
Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by Femsyn(m): 10:40am On Sep 26, 2013
While there are more knocks than kudos to Access Bank, information reaching me has it that, the reverred bank just reviewed the salaries of its staff (to be precise over 100% increase). Infact, they are currently one the highest paying banks in Nigeria. Confirmation would be appreciated.
Got this from a staff.
Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by Super1759: 10:59am On Sep 26, 2013
please, tell them to stop sending me mails and sms. I can't remember my account number and signature sef. I hate that bank with passion. A bank that are after profit,not minding the well-being of her "jackie" contract staff. I hate this bank! I hate them!!!! I hate them!!!!!!!!!
Tell your them!!!
Front page mod!!!!
Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by Super1759: 11:02am On Sep 26, 2013
Femsyn: While there are more knocks than kudos to Access Bank, information reaching me has it that, the reverred bank just reviewed the salaries of its staff (to be precise over 100% increase). Infact, they are currently one the highest paying banks in Nigeria. Confirmation would be appreciated.
Got this from a staff.

get your facts right bro, diamond bank takes the lead
Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by lydia5(f): 11:19am On Sep 26, 2013
Review of salary does not affect contract staff Oº°˚ ˚°ºo . They might be one of the highest paying bank, but of what sense is it when the people that are doing 80% of the work are not rewarded nor considered

1 Like

Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by JANK23H(m): 11:29am On Sep 26, 2013
These are the things the NLC is supposed to fight against,rather you only hear about them when there is a hike in fuel pump price,because they'll get something from the govt.

2 Likes

Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by Femsyn(m): 12:53pm On Sep 26, 2013
Super1759: [/b]

get your facts right bro, diamond bank takes the lead
Is it that u don't understand English or u just wanna type. I said "one of the highest paying...", i never said they are the best. I also asked for confirmation.
Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by Femsyn(m): 12:55pm On Sep 26, 2013
lydia5: Review of salary does not affect contract staff Oº°˚ ˚°ºo . They might be one of the highest paying bank, but of what sense is it when the people that are doing 80% of the work are not rewarded nor considered
Thanks lydia5
Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by Johnnny(m): 1:16pm On Sep 26, 2013
Same happens in Union Bank where I work as an outsourced staff. Later they will gather everybody together in meetings and ask you how to move the bank forward, We need to work well together to move it forward bla bla bla. How can the bank move forward when the life of 80% of the workforce does not move forward?. My elders will say that "A HUNGRY DOG DOES NOT PLAY WITH ONE THAT HAS EATEN".

2 Likes

Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by Travelista(f): 1:19pm On Sep 26, 2013
Why is this complaint being posted over and over? Stop comparing your new employer to the old one (that failed). So, you don't get a birthday cake? You're at work to work; you can celebrate on your free time or, better yet, the support staff can chip in and buy cakes for their coworkers.

Core staff and support staff are not the same: most companies work to keep their core employees while support staff is seen as expendable. Sounds harsh but it's true.

Why should someone have a Bsc and be treated equally with someone that has an HND? I worked hard, double majored and got into law school and graduated; there is no way on earth a corporation would agree to offer me a package they offered to someone in a support role. If you're so 'literate', go back to school and upgrade your degree because the real world is not going to slow down or downgrade their standards to appease you.

Businesses (banks included) are open to make money. Support and contract staff traditionally do the majority of the lifting and get paid the least. You can't expect a professional or core staff member to spend their day answering phones, counting money or typing letters; that grunt work...and that's where support staff comes to the rescue.

I'm seeing a lot of whining in this thread and very little, if any, is justified. Your employer only employees you: they don't have to be your friend, hold your hand, celebrate or commiserate with you. Do that on your personal time. Don't like it? Get another job or research what it takes to join those you feel are treated better. I know this doesn't sound nice but that is how things work everywhere.

3 Likes

Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by EzeWills(m): 7:45pm On Sep 26, 2013
Travelista: Why is this complaint being posted over and over? Stop comparing your new employer to the old one (that failed). So, you don't get a birthday cake? You're at work to work; you can celebrate on your free time or, better yet, the support staff can chip in and buy cakes for their coworkers.

Core staff and support staff are not the same: most companies work to keep their core employees while support staff is seen as expendable. Sounds harsh but it's true.

Why should someone have a Bsc and be treated equally with someone that has an HND? I worked hard, double majored and got into law school and graduated; there is no way on earth a corporation would agree to offer me a package they offered to someone in a support role. If you're so 'literate', go back to school and upgrade your degree because the real world is not going to slow down or downgrade their standards to appease you.

Businesses (banks included) are open to make money. Support and contract staff traditionally do the majority of the lifting and get paid the least. You can't expect a professional or core staff member to spend their day answering phones, counting money or typing letters; that grunt work...and that's where support staff comes to the rescue.

I'm seeing a lot of whining in this thread and very little, if any, is justified. Your employer only employees you: they don't have to be your friend, hold your hand, celebrate or commiserate with you. Do that on your personal time. Don't like it? Get another job or research what it takes to join those you feel are treated better. I know this doesn't sound nice but that is how things work everywhere.

Pally forget all these yarns! Talking from experience, zenith bank is presently using Bsc holders, mark my word bsc holders as tellers on contract dis one is nt hnd ooo, I mean bsc holder, u ll see a colleague with same bsc bt a professional staff where as u r on contract

1 Like

Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by ChibuzoIkenna(m): 10:55pm On Sep 26, 2013
Travelista: Why is
this complaint being posted over and over? Stop comparing your new
employer to the old one (that failed). So, you don't get a birthday
cake? You're at work to work; you can celebrate on your free time or,
better yet, the support staff can chip in and buy cakes for their
coworkers.

Core staff and support staff are not the same: most companies work to
keep their core employees while support staff is seen as expendable.
Sounds harsh but it's true.

Why should someone have a Bsc and be treated equally with someone that
has an HND? I worked hard, double majored and got into law school and
graduated; there is no way on earth a corporation would agree to offer
me a package they offered to someone in a support role. If you're so
'literate', go back to school and upgrade your degree because the real
world is not going to slow down or downgrade their standards to appease
you.

Businesses (banks included) are open to make money. Support and contract
staff traditionally do the majority of the lifting and get paid the
least. You can't expect a professional or core staff member to spend
their day answering phones, counting money or typing letters; that grunt
work...and that's where support staff comes to the rescue.

I'm seeing a lot of whining in this thread and very little, if any, is
justified. Your employer only employees you: they don't have to be your
friend, hold your hand, celebrate or commiserate with you. Do that on
your personal time. Don't like it? Get another job or research what it
takes to join those you feel are treated better. I know this doesn't
sound nice but that is how things work everywhere.

Guylady, those words r senseless to say the least. I bet u dnt understand what it means to own a coy nt to talk of runnin one. Leave those gilbbish words, take a hike, i'll asume yu where nt on this tread.

2 Likes

Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by Codedeben: 12:23am On Sep 27, 2013
Part of the people drawing us back in this country. So you didnt see the part where the writer complained how the management handled the loss of some members of staff? wait make i ask u, if dt person wey die na ur brother u go talk this trash wey u talk? so because u're doing fine u think say na by your might? so for your egocentric mind u think the difference between Core Staff and the Support staff in some of this corporate organizations na "CERTIFICATE"?

Your post disgustingly reek of condescending attribute, which shouldnt be heard of, at least not from someone who stays in this country and knows what graduates pass through.

Travelista: Why is this complaint being posted over and over? Stop comparing your new employer to the old one (that failed). So, you don't get a birthday cake? You're at work to work; you can celebrate on your free time or, better yet, the support staff can chip in and buy cakes for their coworkers.

Why should someone have a Bsc and be treated equally with someone that has an HND? [s]I worked hard, double majored and got into law school and graduated[/s]; there is no way on earth a corporation would agree to offer me a package they offered to someone in a support role. If you're so 'literate', go back to school and upgrade your degree because the real world is not going to slow down or downgrade their standards to appease you.

5 Likes

Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by point45(m): 7:43am On Sep 27, 2013
Is this job worse than being unemployed at home? Cos I bet you lots of people here secretly or openly won't mind taking his slot.
Then, don't people understand the condition of these jobs before they apply?

I have this job for you at this rate and condition,interested candidates apply. If you then apply, don't go there and cry.

And even if you need to push for a change, come on,don't crack the coconut with your head for others.

Someone complained about union paying how much? Dude diamond bank just "upgraded" to 28k. Do the employees like it? No. Do they wanna go back home? Lol, NO ! And that's the highest paying bank today, I still say banks pay ok, ask the agencies why they've agreed to slave labour or worse,eaten the chunk of that original paid by the bank.
Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by yetseyi(f): 11:10am On Sep 27, 2013

I thought they said HND and BSc are equivalent
Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by missade(f): 1:56pm On Sep 27, 2013
@travelista, the point is not that they should be paid same as the "core" staff but that there should be a form of progress and improvement for "support staff"
And empathy doesn't mean the coy should hold their hands or be their friends; it simply mmeans the coy should be humane.
And all that talk of u "working hard"?! Those HND peeps work harder.
When replying, try not to sound condescending, he is very literate and its just a pity that he was born in a country where ppl such as u can't see beyond their own botttoms. Sounds cruel... But also true.
So, pls get it together!

2 Likes

Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by ttomexy(f): 5:48pm On Sep 27, 2013
@travelista, is that you, Bolaji Agbede?
Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by jukwesino: 9:16pm On Sep 27, 2013
@travlist is plain u dont undastand what dis guy is passing tru dis is a plce where a teller is asked to leave for nt smiling wit an empty stomach n d person earns 42k n som fraction as tek home per month. Try n get dis altogeda I wish dis tread meks fp lipsrsealed@travlist is plain u dont undastand what dis guy is passing tru dis is a plce where a teller is asked to leave for nt smiling wit an empty stomach n d person earns 42k n som fraction as tek home per month. Try n get dis altogeda I wish dis tread meks fp
Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by jukwesino: 9:18pm On Sep 27, 2013
@travlist is plain u dont undastand what dis guy is passing tru dis is a plce where a teller is asked to leave for nt smiling wit an empty stomach n d person earns 42k n som fraction as tek home per month. Try n get this altogeda I wish this tread meks fp :-
Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by Travelista(f): 10:08pm On Sep 27, 2013
Codedeben: Part of the people drawing us back in this country. So you didnt see the part where the writer complained how the management handled the loss of some members of staff? wait make i ask u, if dt person wey die na ur brother u go talk this trash wey u talk? so because u're doing fine u think say na by your might? so for your egocentric mind u think the difference between Core Staff and the Support staff in some of this corporate organizations na "CERTIFICATE"?

Your post disgustingly reek of condescending attribute, which shouldnt be heard of, at least not from someone who stays in this country and knows what graduates pass through.

I saw where the poster complained about how the company reacted to the deaths of employees; in fact, I responded in one of the numerous threads started about IBplc v. Access Bank and offered condolences and said the families could file wrongful death suits if they felt Access was at fault. You don't have to like what I wrote but it doesn't make it any less true: your employer is not your friend and never will be (no matter how nicely they may treat you). You, as an employee, are disposable; this applies from the very top, all the way to the very bottom. HOWEVER, some are more expendable than others.

If you actually read my post that you quoted, you'd see I graduated from law school; if you think that my hard work does not factor into the corporate positions I have earned, then you are only fooling yourself. Are there situations when an under-qualified person is in a position that is too advanced for them? Of course, it happens! Are there times that an overqualified person is in a position they could do in their sleep? Of course! But, for the latter, why accept a position and then turn around and complain about it? Either speak up to those that matter or find a place that suits your needs and nurtures your talents. Though easier said than done, it CAN be done. Think of it as survival of the fittest; keep pushing and you will get what you desire.

Your post sounds like you begrudge the success of others and that's fine; call me condescending, a snob, whatever makes you feel better but the fact remains: only YOU can make yourself better suited for your position at work, in life, in relationships, etc. Expecting life to bend and break to suit your needs is an futile endeavor.

To be fair, one doesn't have to be in Nigeria to know that complaints like those expressed by the OP are universal: I worked for a multinational before I branched out on my own and we had a receptionist that was constantly complaining about how even junior associates were allowed to have long lunch breaks, come in later and work from home. I jokingly warned her that if she had any issues with the workplace, she should address it privately with HR. Well, she didn't heed my advice and was eventually fired because she complained more than she worked and brought down morale amongst support staff. What she (and many others like her) don't understand is that those they feel are given better treatment put in sweat equity in other ways. We worked a minimum of 60 hours a week, were not eligible for overtime, were required to be available for calls at 3am because a client was in Hong Kong and wanted us to participate in a conference call, the list goes on.

I feel sorry for you if you think people like me are drawing Nigeria back; being logical and understanding that business is not sentimental is how economies flourish.

1 Like

Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by Travelista(f): 10:30pm On Sep 27, 2013
yetseyi:

I thought they said HND and BSc are equivalent

My understanding is that HND is a certificate that amounts to the completion of the 2 out of 3 years needed to earn a Bachelor's. So, no, they are NOT equivalent, no matter how loudly people say otherwise.

missade: @travelista, the point is not that they should be paid same as the "core" staff but that there should be a form of progress and improvement for "support staff"
And empathy doesn't mean the coy should hold their hands or be their friends; it simply mmeans the coy should be humane.
And all that talk of u "working hard"?! Those HND peeps work harder.
When replying, try not to sound condescending, he is very literate and its just a pity that he was born in a country where ppl such as u can't see beyond their own botttoms. Sounds cruel... But also true.
So, pls get it together!

I agree, there should a path that allows for an employee to work their way up the corporate ladder. BUT, the OP was talking about how IBplc (their former employer that also happens to be a bank that is now out of business) allowed for such opportunities and their new employer does not. Why cry about what cannot be under the current circumstance?

I've already addressed the issue of the bankers that passed away in another thread (again, one of SEVERAL scattered across the board); tell me: what do YOU think Access Bank should have done? Closed business for the day? Been the chief mourner at the funeral? Demand that all employees wear black for a specified period of mourning? I'm not being facetious but what do you expect a BUSINESS to do in situations like these outside of a formal letter of condolence to the families of the deceased? If you think they (or any business) will readily offer financial compensation without a court being involved, I have beachfront property to sell you in Abuja. grin

I stated that the grunt work was left to support staff; that happens everywhere. I work hard. I don't always have weekends to relax. My nights can be interrupted because a client needs advice like yesterday. Even though I have vacation time, I can have a holiday interrupted because a client comes first; this doesn't happen to support staff. If it does, they need to reconsider their place of employment, demand a raise or both.

As for being condescending...where? Him being born in Nigeria is not the problem because as I keep stating over and over, that is how business works. The sooner people understand this, the better they will be able to play the game. Let me be frank, and I hope you actually let what I type sink in: the corporate world can be a very cruel place. Show any weakness and you will be trampled upon. It's not fair (because life isn't) but trying your best to improve on YOUR skills will make the difference in how your current/future employer views you. If you are a contract employee and believe you should be treated as a core staff member...well, good luck on THAT because you are setting yourself up for a lot of heartache.
Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by maximunimpact(m): 10:38pm On Sep 27, 2013
Travelista:

I saw where the poster complained about how the company reacted to the deaths of employees; in fact, I responded in one of the numerous threads started about IBplc v. Access Bank and offered condolences and said the families could file wrongful death suits if they felt Access was at fault. You don't have to like what I wrote but it doesn't make it any less true: your employer is not your friend and never will be (no matter how nicely they may treat you). You, as an employee, are disposable; this applies from the very top, all the way to the very bottom. HOWEVER, some are more expendable than others.

If you actually read my post that you quoted, you'd see I graduated from law school; if you think that my hard work does not factor into the corporate positions I have earned, then you are only fooling yourself. Are there situations when an under-qualified person is in a position that is too advanced for them? Of course, it happens! Are there times that an overqualified person is in a position they could do in their sleep? Of course! But, for the latter, why accept a position and then turn around and complain about it? Either speak up to those that matter or find a place that suits your needs and nurtures your talents. Though easier said than done, it CAN be done. Think of it as survival of the fittest; keep pushing and you will get what you desire.

Your post sounds like you begrudge the success of others and that's fine; call me condescending, a snob, whatever makes you feel better but the fact remains: only YOU can make yourself better suited for your position at work, in life, in relationships, etc. Expecting life to bend and break to suit your needs is an futile endeavor.

To be fair, one doesn't have to be in Nigeria to know that complaints like those expressed by the OP are universal: I worked for a multinational before I branched out on my own and we had a receptionist that was constantly complaining about how even junior associates were allowed to have long lunch breaks, come in later and work from home. I jokingly warned her that if she had any issues with the workplace, she should address it privately with HR. Well, she didn't heed my advice and was eventually fired because she complained more than she worked and brought down morale amongst support staff. What she (and many others like her) don't understand is that those they feel are given better treatment put in sweat equity in other ways. We worked a minimum of 60 hours a week, were not eligible for overtime, were required to be available for calls at 3am because a client was in Hong Kong and wanted us to participate in a conference call, the list goes on.

I feel sorry for you if you think people like me are drawing Nigeria back; being logical and understanding that business is not sentimental is how economies flourish.

In d real world, sentiments apart ppl like u thrive and stand tall above everyone else. The reason is not that u ar so hardworking, but because u understand d battle of d survival of d fitest, were the strong prey on d weak, u ar bound to be a success.

Yes in d real world ders no room 4 sympathy, emparthy, pity or remorse or anytin like dat, as long as u av som buks u gat 2 tnk u ar hardworkin. U ar a realist......yes I say so.....but if I may ask u a question....wat xatly do u live 4? Frm ur coments, it seems u ar a lawyer or sort of.....legal practitioner, and maybe one day u will av d guts to call ursef a human right activist, but I assure u, in d real world wch u tnk u belong, there is morality, there is conscience, there is been considerate, there is justice and equity and there is decency.........unfortunately 4 u, all diz ar lackin in ur perversed mind, all I can read frm ur coments is all abt ur hardwork.......but wat if ur hardwork is not apropriately reworded.......can u still be a realist.

These guys(support staff) work harder dan u, dey work der ass each day 2 giv d bank an image! D Image dat ppl lik u will really apreciate but will look d oda way wen it comes 2 makin doz plastic smiles u see 2 really com frm d heart.

Its a gud tin u ar hardworkin, but I hardly tnk u ar.............ur self professd hardwork is more of ego.....but am sure u also knw dat change is inevitable.........one day u will find ursef in position were ur hardwork is not apreciated, den u will really knw wat d op is talkin abt.

Perharps u av no conscince, dat makes u even mor dangerous, as u will always defend criminals, smuglers, fraudsers, unjust employers and d likes of u in court because all u care abt is makin sure dat d weak remains opressed. But the gud news is dat we still av ppl wit conscience in this thrend, only u cannot be right.

That's reality above, as u really wnt 2 be a realist!

5 Likes

Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by Travelista(f): 12:38am On Sep 28, 2013
maximunimpact:

In d real world, sentiments apart ppl like u thrive and stand tall above everyone else. The reason is not that u ar so hardworking, but because u understand d battle of d survival of d fitest, were the strong prey on d weak, u ar bound to be a success.

Yes in d real world ders no room 4 sympathy, emparthy, pity or remorse or anytin like dat, as long as u av som buks u gat 2 tnk u ar hardworkin. U ar a realist......yes I say so.....but if I may ask u a question....wat xatly do u live 4? Frm ur coments, it seems u ar a lawyer or sort of.....legal practitioner, and maybe one day u will av d guts to call ursef a human right activist, but I assure u, in d real world wch u tnk u belong, there is morality, there is conscience, there is been considerate, there is justice and equity and there is decency.........unfortunately 4 u, all diz ar lackin in ur perversed mind, all I can read frm ur coments is all abt ur hardwork.......but wat if ur hardwork is not apropriately reworded.......can u still be a realist.

These guys(support staff) work harder dan u, dey work der ass each day 2 giv d bank an image! D Image dat ppl lik u will really apreciate but will look d oda way wen it comes 2 makin doz plastic smiles u see 2 really com frm d heart.

Its a gud tin u ar hardworkin, but I hardly tnk u ar.............ur self professd hardwork is more of ego.....but am sure u also knw dat change is inevitable.........one day u will find ursef in position were ur hardwork is not apreciated, den u will really knw wat d op is talkin abt.

Perharps u av no conscince, dat makes u even mor dangerous, as u will always defend criminals, smuglers, fraudsers, unjust employers and d likes of u in court because all u care abt is makin sure dat d weak remains opressed. But the gud news is dat we still av ppl wit conscience in this thrend, only u cannot be right.

That's reality above, as u really wnt 2 be a realist!

You've gone out of your way to make assumptions about a complete and total stranger. undecided Whether you believe it or not, I work hard. No matter what you think, most people within an organization work hard for their bread and butter. It may not be the unglamorous work that support staff does but most work hard. If we are talking reality, my job is to find weakness in my opponent's approach and rectify things to the benefit of my side. Our support staff is there to offer...believe it or not...SUPPORT because my job is far more specialized and requires attention to certain details, while support staff usually handles more mundane, general tasks. Without my role, there would be no need for support staff in our office and without support staff, my work wouldn't be as well put together as our clients require. Is it fair that I get paid more than them? Depends on who you ask but my additional years of training doesn't hurt. (Also, please note some lawyers never set foot in a courtroom and the legal profession is not as fast-paced as it is shown on TV. In fact, it's mostly reading. grin)

As you keep harping about reality, do you sit around crying for the people that applied for the job you currently hold? What makes you think YOU deserved the job over them? I'll tell you what: your experience and education. If you truly believe that someone cannot have something unless they prey on the weak, I'd love to read on Monday that you have tendered your resignation at your place of employment, given up your home and belongings and become an ascetic...but I won't because you deserve the rewards of your hard work. Just as I do.

Whether you like it or not, I have a right to take pride in my accomplishments just as much as the next person. You have to be a sick person to deduce from my few posts that I want to keep the weak oppressed...seriously, who are you and how do you lack basic reading comprehension? Not only that but you think I should strive to call myself a human rights activist? Again, who are you? Tell me: what have YOU done to provide succor to your fellow man? Don't worry about my pockets; worry about yours. I'm not here to make people feel bad but to help them understand that the professional world can be a cold place but there are ways to survive without comprising your morals.

There is no shame in being a realist: it doesn't mean you lack empathy, sympathy or kindness for those that life is unjust towards. It just means you understand that not everyone can live a charmed life. Not everyone will have wealth. Some will find life harder than others and as sad as it is, people continue to fall into the Us v. Them trap. I am idealistic enough to believe that everyone deserves a chance to prove their worth. As I stated in a previous post, if your current place is not fulfilling your needs, make the necessary changes. If your employer still doesn't budge, look for a new place. (Obviously, secure the new job before quitting the one you have!) But sitting around grumbling? That's what they want...to keep you feeling helpless. You power comes when you realize they need you more than you need them.
Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by maximunimpact(m): 6:06am On Sep 28, 2013
Travelista:

You've gone out of your way to make assumptions about a complete and total stranger. undecided Whether you believe it or not, I work hard. No matter what you think, most people within an organization work hard for their bread and butter. It may not be the unglamorous work that support staff does but most work hard. If we are talking reality, my job is to find weakness in my opponent's approach and rectify things to the benefit of my side. Our support staff is there to offer...believe it or not...SUPPORT because my job is far more specialized and requires attention to certain details, while support staff usually handles more mundane, general tasks. Without my role, there would be no need for support staff in our office and without support staff, my work wouldn't be as well put together as our clients require. Is it fair that I get paid more than them? Depends on who you ask but my additional years of training doesn't hurt. (Also, please note some lawyers never set foot in a courtroom and the legal profession is not as fast-paced as it is shown on TV. In fact, it's mostly reading. grin)

As you keep harping about reality, do you sit around crying for the people that applied for the job you currently hold? What makes you think YOU deserved the job over them? I'll tell you what: your experience and education. If you truly believe that someone cannot have something unless they prey on the weak, I'd love to read on Monday that you have tendered your resignation at your place of employment, given up your home and belongings and become an ascetic...but I won't because you deserve the rewards of your hard work. Just as I do.

Whether you like it or not, I have a right to take pride in my accomplishments just as much as the next person. You have to be a sick person to deduce from my few posts that I want to keep the weak oppressed...seriously, who are you and how do you lack basic reading comprehension? Not only that but you think I should strive to call myself a human rights activist? Again, who are you? Tell me: what have YOU done to provide succor to your fellow man? Don't worry about my pockets; worry about yours. I'm not here to make people feel bad but to help them understand that the professional world can be a cold place but there are ways to survive without comprising your morals.

There is no shame in being a realist: it doesn't mean you lack empathy, sympathy or kindness for those that life is unjust towards. It just means you understand that not everyone can live a charmed life. Not everyone will have wealth. Some will find life harder than others and as sad as it is, people continue to fall into the Us v. Them trap. I am idealistic enough to believe that everyone deserves a chance to prove their worth. As I stated in a previous post, if your current place is not fulfilling your needs, make the necessary changes. If your employer still doesn't budge, look for a new place. (Obviously, secure the new job before quitting the one you have!) But sitting around grumbling? That's what they want...to keep you feeling helpless. You power comes when you realize they need you more than you need them.

There is really no place 4 u in this world of fantasy u ar talkin abt. U ar hardworking right? I can't say u ar because u ar d one sayin it, no secondary confirmation. But even if u ar, I dnt tnk ur hardwork pays. Somtin must really be wrong somwher wit u. Wat is hardwork witout opportunity? Am sure u ar a stranger 2 dat word.

U ar so full of ursef like dat rich fool dat beliv so much in his hardwork, I tnk u may knw wat happened 2 him, and hw God reacted 2 his pride. U ar reaally riskin his fate.

Wat abt grace? Do u still knw abt dat? It is not he dat willeth, or he dat runneth, but it is God that shows mercy.

U will nva bulge because u ar so obsessed wit ur hardwork, u cudnt av knwn de hw opportunity and grace com in2 play in success.

U ask who am I? Truth is u don't knw me, n I don't brag abt my fame in a social media like u, a lot of ppl will agree wit d fact dat u av been spoon fed all ur life, I don't tnk u av eva been der on ur own, dats y u open ur gates anyhw and brag abt hardwork.

This thrend isn't 4 u, so go away to the crime and non-celebrity section, dats were u belong, or the romance section, u need it too, but just go away and stay away!

5 Likes

Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by cherieb2(f): 9:02am On Sep 28, 2013
point45: Is this job worse than being unemployed at home? Cos I bet you lots of people here secretly or openly won't mind taking his slot.
Then, don't people understand the condition of these jobs before they apply?

I have this job for you at this rate and condition,interested candidates apply. If you then apply, don't go there and cry.

And even if you need to push for a change, come on,don't crack the coconut with your head for others.

Someone complained about union paying how much? Dude diamond bank just "upgraded" to 28k. Do the employees like it? No. Do they wanna go back home? Lol, NO ! And that's the highest paying bank today, I still say banks pay ok, ask the agencies why they've agreed to slave labour or worse,eaten the chunk of that original paid by the bank.

Why make it sound as if we(graduates) are at the mercy of those heartless employers. Ȋ̝̊̅ strongly believe if 60% of those going through what the op went tru are bold enof 2 take d step which he took, then these employers will have a rethink and upgrade their pay and working conditions. They need us as much as we need them, but in as much as they know there's always someone there ready 2 take over when u leave, they tend never 2 give a damn abt upgrading. If you know your worth as a graduate, you wouldnt jump at any job offering you peanut just because u are scared of being unemployed.
Let me tell you my experience with glo. Few months ago i went for an interview(Bsc holders, with minimum of second class lower, but at a time they stopped interviewing second class lower holders n said they just received a call from headquarters that they needed just 2nd class upper holders). Few days later Ȋ̝̊̅ was invited for their training. Its a sales job. After d training we were briefed on our job-going into the street and market places(under d sun n in d rain) selling and registering sim cards. Target-to sell n register atleast 24 sim cards a ϑάў n 400 or S̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ a month. Commission-30k monthly.....u can imagine that! For a Bsc 2.1 holder... Is dat not an insult And the funniest thing is that they kept reminding us with smiles on their faces that there's no job anywhere n they wud advice we grab the 'opportunity'. I angrily left after telling them how cruel they were. Surprisingly, some persons still accepted the offer and are still doing that job till date, while Ȋ̝̊̅ have gotten a better job, τ̅☺ resume next month.
If we can speak, act and think like graduates(HND and Bsc alike), and not just settle for 'more than less', Ȋ̝̊̅ believe job offers will be upgraded.

6 Likes

Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by Nobody: 9:37am On Sep 28, 2013
@travelista...shut up already!!! U r a very arrogant n proud person. Its people like u dat life gives a big blow while u r tinking u r all dat. Go n sit down n allow geniuine people comment.
Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by dream2014: 11:36am On Sep 28, 2013
Good day guys! I have had so much restrained in commenting on this thread because I know people could easily take ones comment on such sensitive issues negatively. However as i put on my system to prepare for an exam i am having soon, i couldnt resist putting one or two comments. I am commenting as someone who has had quite a number of experience in banking, though I have been voluntarily out of the system for about a year. I have worked as what is referred to as core staff and i have been sympathetic of the complaints of contract staff even though I always advised them to never always settle for the least.

I sympathize with people that lost their lives and all other who suffered unfortunate experience that bothers on life. However, the reality of life and present day Nigeria makes company to want to explore the options of contract staff as we call it. My younger brother works for one though not banking. He just did his wedding and i am sure he was not given off days not to talk of leave and the organisation was not represented. He works with B.sc with a lot of certifications to go along with it.

For the sake of people who are still young, make choices early in life as what we do in life eventually is likely dependent on the add ups of life with little variance. I feel like telling a back ground story of what i read and how i got to this place but may be that could be for another day.

Truly, we might think that Travelista is too arrogant but believe me he has a lot of sense he is making.

Let me start by saying that banking work is terrible, even when you work as a professional staff, dont just make it a comfort zone. Dream, dream and dream and always look for where you can better or improve yourself. If i stay on tellering which is the bulk of contract staff in a place like Gtbank and Access bank, they take OND and not HND. The idea when they started is that they can cut cost by employing OND for 2 years where they can have requisite experience and then raise fund to further their education to HND or Bsc. However, probably because of the condition of the country, many of them choose to stay and work for 4, 5, 6 years or more. Since it helps banks to cut cost, they allow it since many of them are willing to stay. Some go on to do HND on part time while some do Bsc on part time. Some dont do anything. I know many who do not even have a CV. The sad part is that i know many of my then subordinates, who after starting with their OND, got married almost immediately and try to live large without thinking of their condition of service and what the next stage of life should look like.

One thing i always say is that, some of these terms are known before accepting jobs and they are also their in black and white for people to decide if thats what they want or not. When my brother finished school, IBL wanted to take him on contract and i told him you will regret it for the rest of your life if you are not careful. It was hard for him, thank God he took it and he started doing jobs of 15k or thereabout but that allowed him to do certifications. Though he works on contract for a company at the moment but with better terms and I am sure remuneration. But even with this, he is always trying out on interviews and jobs even if it involves him traveling at night a times. I am always impressed with his doggedness.

Last year, i was applying to many schools abroad and looking for scholarships and I was carrying out some of the contracts staff under me alond. I kept telling them that my salary is very much higher than yours and I am ready to take the risk. I expected some of them will come and say bros let us do it together. Some of these schools if you are lucky will give you full scholarship which includes tuition and feeding while you can have access to loan as well. Apart from the monetary reward, it can give you a leeway to better life. It is a risk i had to take but none is willing to go near it. It has not been easy for me and my family. I am back and not working yet but I know with time, i will find something to do. When I was leaving, i told them i dont mind starting all over again if need be cos i need to take my destiny in my hand.

Unfortunately we are in a capitalist world, during my programme i got to know that everywhere, companies want to rip you off and it opened my mind the more. Companies in US, UK want to take people for unpaid internship for 6 months or even 1 year. Thats the reality of the present world. I met people from parts of Europe who have worked for years end earning 300 Euros a month, that is about 60k a month. The one room i took during my programme is 300 Euros a month and i think thats one of the least in my class.

Hmnnnnnn, when some of us start business we will understand this craze for cutting cost. We need to take our destiny into our hands early enough in life. We should ask questions like 1. Do I want to do this job? 2. What are the terms and conditions and do they favour me. 3 If i am taking it, do I want to stay long? 4. If i am not staying long, what are the plans for my future. etc.

I pray we have a better country but let us strive beyond our comfort zone.

I am sorry if some dont feel comfortable with my comment but we can always dialogue.

3 Likes

Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by Osama10(m): 12:03pm On Sep 28, 2013
dream2014: Good day guys! I have had so much restrained in commenting on this thread because I know people could easily take ones comment on such sensitive issues negatively. However as i put on my system to prepare for an exam i am having soon, i couldnt resist putting one or two comments. I am commenting as someone who has had quite a number of experience in banking, though I have been voluntarily out of the system for about a year. I have worked as what is referred to as core staff and i have been sympathetic of the complaints of contract staff even though I always advised them to never always settle for the least.

I sympathize with people that lost their lives and all other who suffered unfortunate experience that bothers on life. However, the reality of life and present day Nigeria makes company to want to explore the options of contract staff as we call it. My younger brother works for one though not banking. He just did his wedding and i am sure he was not given off days not to talk of leave and the organisation was not represented. He works with B.sc with a lot of certifications to go along with it.

For the sake of people who are still young, make choices early in life as what we do in life eventually is likely dependent on the add ups of life with little variance. I feel like telling a back ground story of what i read and how i got to this place but may be that could be for another day.

Truly, we might think that Travelista is too arrogant but believe me he has a lot of sense he is making.

Let me start by saying that banking work is terrible, even when you work as a professional staff, dont just make it a comfort zone. Dream, dream and dream and always look for where you can better or improve yourself. If i stay on tellering which is the bulk of contract staff in a place like Gtbank and Access bank, they take OND and not HND. The idea when they started is that they can cut cost by employing OND for 2 years where they can have requisite experience and then raise fund to further their education to HND or Bsc. However, probably because of the condition of the country, many of them choose to stay and work for 4, 5, 6 years or more. Since it helps banks to cut cost, they allow it since many of them are willing to stay. Some go on to do HND on part time while some do Bsc on part time. Some dont do anything. I know many who do not even have a CV. The sad part is that i know many of my then subordinates, who after starting with their OND, got married almost immediately and try to live large without thinking of their condition of service and what the next stage of life should look like.

One thing i always say is that, some of these terms are known before accepting jobs and they are also their in black and white for people to decide if thats what they want or not. When my brother finished school, IBL wanted to take him on contract and i told him you will regret it for the rest of your life if you are not careful. It was hard for him, thank God he took it and he started doing jobs of 15k or thereabout but that allowed him to do certifications. Though he works on contract for a company at the moment but with better terms and I am sure remuneration. But even with this, he is always trying out on interviews and jobs even if it involves him traveling at night a times. I am always impressed with his doggedness.

Last year, i was applying to many schools abroad and looking for scholarships and I was carrying out some of the contracts staff under me alond. I kept telling them that my salary is very much higher than yours and I am ready to take the risk. I expected some of them will come and say bros let us do it together. Some of these schools if you are lucky will give you full scholarship which includes tuition and feeding while you can have access to loan as well. Apart from the monetary reward, it can give you a leeway to better life. It is a risk i had to take but none is willing to go near it. It has not been easy for me and my family. I am back and not working yet but I know with time, i will find something to do. When I was leaving, i told them i dont mind starting all over again if need be cos i need to take my destiny in my hand.

Unfortunately we are in a capitalist world, during my programme i got to know that everywhere, companies want to rip you off and it opened my mind the more. Companies in US, UK want to take people for unpaid internship for 6 months or even 1 year. Thats the reality of the present world. I met people from parts of Europe who have worked for years end earning 300 Euros a month, that is about 60k a month. The one room i took during my programme is 300 Euros a month and i think thats one of the least in my class.

Hmnnnnnn, when some of us start business we will understand this craze for cutting cost. We need to take our destiny into our hands early enough in life. We should ask questions like 1. Do I want to do this job? 2. What are the terms and conditions and do they favour me. 3 If i am taking it, do I want to stay long? 4. If i am not staying long, what are the plans for my future. etc.

I am sorry if some dont feel comfortable with my comment but we can always dialogue.

You presented your facts very well unlike the other dude. cool
Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by Codedeben: 10:19pm On Sep 28, 2013
dream2014: Good day guys! I have had so much restrained in commenting on this thread because I know people could easily take ones comment on such sensitive issues negatively. However as i put on my system to prepare for an exam i am having soon, i couldnt resist putting one or two comments. I am commenting as someone who has had quite a number of experience in banking, though I have been voluntarily out of the system for about a year. I have worked as what is referred to as core staff and i have been sympathetic of the complaints of contract staff even though I always advised them to never always settle for the least.

who would read this your own contribution towards the issue at hand and wouldnt doff his cap for not just a clever summation but one succintingly phrased to drive home a sensible points, the one most people can unarguably relate with.

If the televista or whats his name had subtly put it this way and not taking a jab at "apparently hopeless graduates" all because he believed he worked hard to be where he's and who he's when in adtual fact there are or who he is
Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by Codedeben: 10:25pm On Sep 28, 2013

who would read this your own contribution towards the issue at hand and wouldnt doff his cap for not just a clever summation but one succintingly phrased to drive home a sensible points, the one most people can unarguably relate with.

Wouldnt it have been better If the televista or whats his name had subtly put it this way and not taking a jab at "apparently hopeless graduates" all because he believed he worked hard to be where he's and who he's when in actual fact there are thousands of people way better than him in every ways but are out there struggling, despite their hardwork and their certificate.
Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by Codedeben: 10:48pm On Sep 28, 2013
maximunimpact:

There is really no place 4 u in this world of fantasy u ar talkin abt. U ar hardworking right? I can't say u ar because u ar d one sayin it, no secondary confirmation. But even if u ar, I dnt tnk ur hardwork pays. Somtin must really be wrong somwher wit u. Wat is hardwork witout opportunity? Am sure u ar a stranger 2 dat word.

U ar so full of ursef like dat rich fool dat beliv so much in his hardwork, I tnk u may knw wat happened 2 him, and hw God reacted 2 his pride. U ar reaally riskin his fate.

Wat abt grace? Do u still knw abt dat? It is not he dat willeth, or he dat runneth, but it is God that shows mercy.

U will nva bulge because u ar so obsessed wit ur hardwork, u cudnt av knwn de hw opportunity and grace com in2 play in success.

U ask who am I? Truth is u don't knw me, n I don't brag abt my fame in a social media like u, a lot of ppl will agree wit d fact dat u av been spoon fed all ur life, I don't tnk u av eva been der on ur own, dats y u open ur gates anyhw and brag abt hardwork.

This thrend isn't 4 u, so go away to the crime and non-celebrity section, dats were u belong, or the romance section, u need it too, but just go away and stay away!

Bros abeg free that dude. its his ilks that frustrate employees and water down their certificates all because they bliv they attain that particular position purely as a result of their rare hardwork . You see them with their shoulders high, trumping anyone they assume to be better than.

Is it not this same country master degree holders man trailer wheels for companies like Dangote? I guess they're not hardworking enough.

Most people take up this kind of offers not because they dont know their worth but because they just wouldnt want to continue with the frustrated life as a" jobless graduate".
Re: Busted: Tellers Welfare - The True Story In Access Bank! by Codedeben: 10:52pm On Sep 28, 2013
maximunimpact:

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dont Fall For This Job Scam Supposedly From SHELL / Flour Mills Of Nigeria Plc. Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) Trainee 2014 / Machine Operator Training (lekki-lagos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 225
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.