Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,730 members, 7,817,007 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:45 PM

Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles - Religion (33) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles (39945 Views)

"Stop Giving Offerings In Redeemed Churches If....." - Pastor Adeboye / Give Your 'Tithes' And Offerings To The Less Fortunate In Church / Tithes And Offerings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Joagbaje(m): 4:30am On Jun 03, 2016
brocab:
A good question to put across, Are we Israelites or are we Gentiles? And where in the bible does it say Christians are to tithe?

where did it say christians should give offerings. ?

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by MuttleyLaff: 7:19am On Jun 03, 2016
brocab:
A good question to put across, Are we Israelites or are we Gentiles?
It doesnt matter now if we are Israelites or we are Gentiles

brocab:
And where in the bible does it say Christians are to tithe?
Is this last question addressed to me too?
It is very clear that in the Bible, the only group of people explicitly told to pay tithes are the Israelites
And there is a very good & valid reason for God staking a claim
and bolding asserting a right to the tenth of all agricultural produce from the Israelites

Joagbaje:
where did it say christians should give offerings?
Nowhere!.
That there, smack on, is the point
It doesnt anywhere say believers should give offerings, just as it neither anywhere says believers should should pay tithe

As is seen in 2 Corinthians 8:12 & 2 Corinthians 9:7, believers have moved on past tithe and offering, to better eternal principles

2 Corinthians 8:12 For if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what one does not have
2 Corinthians 9:7 Each of you should give whatever you have decided. You shouldn't be sorry that you gave or feel forced to give, since God loves a cheerful giver

2 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Joagbaje(m): 12:16pm On Jun 03, 2016
MuttleyLaff:

Nowhere!.
It doesnt anywhere say believers should give offerings, just as it neither anywhere says believers should should pay tithe

As is seen in 2 Corinthians 8:12 & 2 Corinthians 9:7, believers have moved on past tithe and offering, to better eternal principles

2 Corinthians 8:12 For if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what one does not have
2 Corinthians 9:7 Each of you should give whatever you have decided. You shouldn't be sorry that you gave or feel forced to give, since God loves a cheerful giver

We don't need any special law as Christians to add to what is already a principle in Gods kingdom . Tithes and offering are principles of the kingdom. Man will always worship God with offerings . Whatever you offer God is an offering
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by brocab: 5:56am On Jun 04, 2016
It doesn't, nor do we tithe.
Joagbaje:

where did it say christians should give offerings. ?
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by brocab: 6:15am On Jun 04, 2016
No I was only suggesting at the time of my post. If you don't like the support It's ok.
Firstly it does matter if we are Israelite's or Gentiles, in those day's it was the chosen Jews who paid there tithes, not the Gentiles.
And because many of the believers today choose to stay in the law of tithing, when it isn't scriptural, then my question stands are we Jews or Gentiles.
I don't call myself a Jew-when I am a Gentile-Jews don't pay tithes today, nor should any of the believers pay tithes.
MuttleyLaff:

Is this last question addressed to me too?
It is very clear that in the Bible, the only group of people explicitly told to pay tithes are the Israelites
And there is a very good & valid reason for God staking a claim
and bolding asserting a right to the tenth of all agricultural produce from the Israelites

Nowhere!.

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by MuttleyLaff: 6:53am On Jun 04, 2016
brocab:
No I was only suggesting at the time of my post. If you don't like the support It's ok.
Haba Chief, kilode, it hasnt come to ''If-you-don't-like-the-support-It's-ok'' now
There was my mention in that remark, and though I responded to it, I wasn't actually sure who it was addressed to, that is why out of curiousty and without animosity I asked who it was addressed to

Welcome aboard. The more the merrier against all these tithe and offering misconceptions that Satan particularly wants people to believe in

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by MuttleyLaff: 6:53am On Jun 04, 2016
Joagbaje:
We don't need any special law as Christians to add to what is already a principle in Gods kingdom
This is an obstinate, a ''refuse to think deep enough'' or an unaware remark
It is a remark stemming from an underlined suggestion that because gravity is already a principle in God's scheme of things, we don't need aerodynamics to add to gravity. SMH

In God's greater grander or overall scheme of things, believers, rise above with another principle which by no accident is better, higher and worked out in conformity with the purpose of God's plan.

Joagbaje:
Tithes and offering are principles of the kingdom. Man will always worship God with offerings
The Bible, Jesus. Paul and others teaches that believers giving is an act of worship.

God has simplified things for us now and replaced all those various kinds of offerings practised by the Israelites with single plain outright giving

Jesus, Paul et al, when addressing the people, except for the Pharisees, never encouraged tithing or offering but were always harping on give, giving or collection
They chose their words right and correctly, as they were deliberate and careful not to use words like tithing or offering to the people but instead used give, giving or collection

Man does not do offering as was practised by the Israelites or have to put a name to an offering as was practised by the Israelites
because Man has come of age and so now worships God with à la no frills give, giving or collection only

Joagbaje:
Whatever you offer God is an offering
And what kind of offering is this?
What is this whatever-you-offer-God offering called?

Lets call a spade a spade. Whatever believers ''offer'' is not called offering but is simply called giving or collection

Offering as was practised by the Israelites involved agricultural produce e.g. animal and food. Money didnt exchange hands except only and particularly with trespass offering

Do you do burnt offering/ordination (or cereal and grain) offering, the meal offering/the drink offering, the peace offering/freewill (or vow, wave and thanksgiving) offering, the sin offering or the trespass offering like the Israelites used to do?

No, you don't and/or can't do any of them, and that is because these are well defined and tagged offerings which exclusively fell within the remit of the Israelites, formerly practised by them alone, based on and because of the Levitical law(s)
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by brocab: 7:42am On Jun 04, 2016
Done, I am always there when the truth is revealed.
MuttleyLaff:
Haba Chief, kilode, it hasnt come to ''If-you-don't-like-the-support-It's-ok'' now
There was my mention in that remark, and though I responded to it, I wasn't actually sure who it was addressed to, that is why out of curiousty and without animosity I asked who it was addressed to

Welcome aboard. The more the merrier against all these tithe and offering misconceptions that Satan particularly wants people to believe in
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Joagbaje(m): 8:39pm On Jun 04, 2016
MuttleyLaff:

Offering as was practised by the Israelites involved agricultural produce e.g. animal and food. Money didnt exchanged hands except only and particularly with trespass offering

WHAT IS AN OFFERING
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by ruggedchap: 9:11pm On Jun 04, 2016

2 Likes

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by MuttleyLaff: 12:28am On Jun 05, 2016
Joagbaje:
WHAT IS AN OFFERING
Now, go ahead and tell me I havent already given the low-down on offering, the various kinds etcetera.
Though you prevaricate, duck and dive when asked pointed questions, you can redeem yourself by finding out what an offering is, answer the pointed questions asked you from going back to:
https://www.nairaland.com/1456343/tithes-offerings-eternal-principles/32#46256384
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Joagbaje(m): 4:39am On Jun 05, 2016
MuttleyLaff:
Now, go ahead and tell me I havent already given the low-down on offering, the various kinds etcetera.
Though you prevaricate, duck and dive when asked pointed questions, you can redeem yourself by finding out what an offering is, answer the pointed questions asked you from going back to:
https://www.nairaland.com/1456343/tithes-offerings-eternal-principles/32#46256384

I didn't ask what kinds of offerings . In one sentence ,what is an offering. Honestly shouldn't have any problem to answer in one sentence .
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by MuttleyLaff: 6:55am On Jun 05, 2016
Joagbaje:
I didn't ask what kinds of offerings
It was served you as a FYI in order to show that offering is now give, giving or collection

Joagbaje:
In one sentence, what is an offering. Honestly shouldn't have any problem to answer in one sentence
Honestly I had already written about what offering is in one sentence and in more than one ocassion.

Again in God's greater grander or overall scheme of things, believers, rise above with another principle which by no accident is better, higher and worked out in conformity with the purpose of God's plan.

God has simplified things for us now and replaced all those various kinds of offerings practised by the Israelites with single plain outright giving

Jesus, Paul et al, when addressing the people, except for the Pharisees, never encouraged tithing or offering but were always harping on give, giving or collection
They chose their words right and correctly, as they were deliberate and careful not to use words like tithing or offering to the people but instead used give, giving or collection

Man does not do offering as was practised by the Israelites or have to put a name to an offering as was practised by the Israelites
because Man has come of age and so now worships God with à la no frills give, giving or collection only
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Joagbaje(m): 7:58am On Jun 05, 2016
MuttleyLaff:
It was served you as a FYI in order to show that offering is now give, giving or collection

Honestly I had already written about what offering is in one sentence and in more than one ocassion.

Again in God's greater grander or overall scheme of things, believers, rise above with another principle which by no accident is better, higher and worked out in conformity with the purpose of God's plan.

What is offering .
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by MuttleyLaff: 10:07am On Jun 05, 2016
Joagbaje:
What is offering
Offering was a habitual practice done by the Israelites, it primarily involved agricultural produce (e.g. animal and food) as money was never exchanged except for when it is a trespass offering, and that is where restitution is not only done but includes adding 20% of the ''holy thing's'' or the ''neighbor property's'' original value in silver money for violating it or trespassing against it

That historically in a sentence, is what offering is. Capisce

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Joagbaje(m): 12:04pm On Jun 05, 2016
MuttleyLaff:
Offering was a habitual practice done by the Israelites, it primarily involved agricultural produce (e.g. animal and food) as money was never exchanged except for when it is a trespass offering, and that is where restitution is not only done but includes adding 20% of the ''holy thing's'' or the ''neighbor property's'' original value in silver money for violating it or trespassing against it

Wrong
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by MuttleyLaff: 1:07pm On Jun 05, 2016
Joagbaje:
What is offering

MuttleyLaff:

Joagbaje:
Wrong
Why say wrong?

Joagbaje:
Whatever you offer God is an offering
What is this ''whatever-you-offer-God-is-an-offering'' called?

We know that the Israelites, where commanded to give tithe and when, where and if applicable, were explicitly asked to do offering(s)
but nothing of such compulsion is required from believers than to freely give without being under duress

Lets call a spade a spade. Whatever believers ''offer'' is not called offering but is simply called giving or collection
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Joagbaje(m): 2:14pm On Jun 05, 2016
MuttleyLaff:

Why say wrong?

What is this ''whatever-you-offer-God-is-an-offering'' called?

We know that the Israelites, where commanded to give tithe and when, where and if applicable, were explicitly asked to do offering(s)
but nothing of such compulsion is required from believers than to freely give without being under duress

Offering is not connected to isreal . Offering existed before isreal did. The name "offering " alone defines itself except of course you just don't want to accept the reality

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by MuttleyLaff: 3:15pm On Jun 05, 2016
Joagbaje:
Offering is not connected to Isreal. Offering existed before Isreal did. The name "offering" alone defines itself except of course you just don't want to accept the reality
Of course
and importantly, the word offering, from Abel to Cain, from Abraham to the Widow at Zarephath, back to back, has always being about or had to do with agricultural produce only (e.g. animals, crops, food or a son) with the exception of the Israelites' trespassing offering, where restitution is not only done but includes adding 20% of the original value in silver money to the offering for violation or trespassing done.

You've have so far been careful
but if this thread was opened up for an entitlement to money under the guise of tithe and offering
you will soon make a slip, be found out and be betrayed by it

Accept the reality that altruistic action or to give, is what Jesus preached
and cheerful giving or collection without compulsion, is what Paul preached
No where in the Bible does Jesus or Paul call whatever the believers give offering

If money is needed, simply ask people to give, teach them on the principle of giving or just arrange for a collection
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Joagbaje(m): 4:08pm On Jun 05, 2016
MuttleyLaff:
Of course
and importantly, the word offering, from Abel to Cain, from Abraham to the Widow at Zarephath, back to back, has always being about or had to do with agricultural produce only

Really ?

1 Corinthians 16:2( NLT)
On every Lord's Day each of you should put aside something from what you have earned during the week, and use it for this offering

No where in the Bible does Jesus or Paul call whatever the believers give offering

Really?

2 Corinthians 9:2
For I know how eager you are to do it, and I have boasted to the friends in Macedonia that you were ready to send an offering a year ago. In fact, it was this enthusiasm of yours that stirred up many of them to begin helping.

Brother ,whatever you offer to God is an offering . Either it's money material , souls, ministry or our lives ,. We should avoid redefinition of words to suit theology .
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by MuttleyLaff: 9:27pm On Jun 05, 2016
Joagbaje:
Really ?

1 Corinthians 16:2 (NLT)
On every Lord's Day each of you should put aside something from what you have earned during the week, and use it for this offering
Yes really, no not just really but a 120% really
and not with your fabricated 1 Corinthians 16:2 (NLT) evidence
because this below is what Paul with a 1 Corinthians 16:2 New Living Translation (NLT) actually says:

On the first day of each week, you should each put aside a portion of the money you have earned.
Don't wait until I get there and then try to collect it all at once
- 1 Corinthians 16:2 New Living Translation (NLT)

Compare and contrast your 1 Corinthians 16:2 (NLT) with my 1 Corinthians 16:2 (NLT)

Only God knows why
and how you managed to doctor in a non-existent offering wording, into that 1 Corinthians 16:2 New Living Translation (NLT) verse.
SMH, you try, I shift my heinie for you

Joagbaje:
Really?
2 Corinthians 9:2
For I know how eager you are to do it, and I have boasted to the friends in Macedonia that you were ready to send an offering a year ago. In fact, it was this enthusiasm of yours that stirred up many of them to begin helping.
Of course really again now. Are you surprised?
You better start accepting that no where in the Bible does Jesus or Paul call whatever the believers give offering
Now, you saved your hide by not trying to sought solace or comfort in Acts 24:17

Oya, please reproduce all translations of 2 Corinthians 9:2 or any other translations of 2 Corinthians 9:2 with offering in the verse

Joagbaje:
Brother, whatever you offer to God is an offering. Either it's money, material, souls, ministry or our lives
SMH superficial and non-serious remarks like this is an indictment of biblical literacy

Joagbaje:
We should avoid redefinition of words to suit theology
This thread was opened with a misguided ''Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles'' title
and the original post kicked off with a misapprehension of Galatians 3:7 and put it to a wrong use when aligned with a teasing and poor taste ''many posters and tithers have deeper understanding of these things better now. . . To be continued in a moment'' remark

How I wish and pray you take to your own words about ''avoid redefinition of words to suit theology'' in your last sentence
You would be a wiser person, taking the right choice, at the right time and still be at God's right side, if you do

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
- 2 Timothy 2:15

2 Timothy 2:15 is referenced above because I want it to be recognised that the bible is a book of divisions
It is a book of divisions because it has different parts for different people, like for the Jew (i.e. Israelites) for the Gentile and to the Church ( i.e. the called out ones)
There are some parts in the bible where it speaks only to the Jew (i.e. Israelites) and it wasnt speaking to the Gentile and vice versa
there are equally some other parts in the bible, where it specifically speaks to the Gentile and it wasn't speaking to the Church etcetera and vice versa

What I am trying to get across here simply is this. Dont covet, ma fejumo oro oloro, especially parts of the Bible, like those something(s) belonging to another
21st century believers have been indoctrinated to covet verses such as like these abandoned tithe or offering principles, like coveting passages not talking to them but was talking to others
Such bad and misled behaviours are damaging and detriment to a believer enjoying fulfilment based on better principles established in charis (i.e. grace), generosity, altruism, agape and others found in Galatian 5:22-23

I wonder if Pastor Chris Oyakhilome would have arrived London in a private jet, receive red carpet red suited guards of honour presidential welcome at an airport with a rolls royce to pick him up, if the Wright brothers were fantastically bought into the law of gravity eternal principle so much as to refuse appreciating or acknowledging the law of aerodynamics which is not only just another eternal principle but is a better one, taking anyone seizing the opportunity & who doesnt want to remain grounded to heights (no pun was intended)
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Joagbaje(m): 7:25am On Jun 06, 2016
MuttleyLaff:
Yes really, no not just really but a 120% really
and not with your fabricated 1 Corinthians 16:2 (NLT) evidence
because this below is what Paul with a 1 Corinthians 16:2 New Living Translation (NLT) actually says:

On the first day of each week, you should each put aside a portion of the money you have earned.
Don't wait until I get there and then try to collect it all at once
- 1 Corinthians 16:2 New Living Translation (NLT)

Compare and contrast your 1 Corinthians 16:2 (NLT) with my 1 Corinthians 16:2 (NLT)

Only God knows why
and how you managed to doctor in a non-existent offering wording, into that 1 Corinthians 16:2 New Living Translation (NLT) verse.
SMH, you try, I shift my heinie for you

Of course really again now. Are you surprised?
You better start accepting that no where in the Bible does Jesus or Paul call whatever the believers give offering
Now, you saved your hide by not trying to sought solace or comfort in Acts 24:17

Oya, please reproduce all translations of 2 Corinthians 9:2 or any other translations of 2 Corinthians 9:2 with offering in the verse

SMH superficial and non-serious remarks like this is an indictment of biblical literacy

This thread was opened with a misguided ''Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles'' title
and the original post kicked off with a misapprehension of Galatians 3:7 and put it to a wrong use when aligned with a teasing and poor taste ''many posters and tithers have deeper understanding of these things better now. . . To be continued in a moment'' remark

How I wish and pray you take to your own words about ''avoid redefinition of words to suit theology'' in your last sentence
You would be a wiser person, taking the right choice, at the right time and still be at God's right side, if you do

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
- 2 Timothy 2:15

2 Timothy 2:15 is referenced above because I want it to be recognised that the bible is a book of divisions
It is a book of divisions because it has different parts for different people, like for the Jew (i.e. Israelites) for the Gentile and to the Church ( i.e. the called out ones)
There are some parts in the bible where it speaks only to the Jew (i.e. Israelites) and it wasnt speaking to the Gentile and vice versa
there are equally some other parts in the bible, where it specifically speaks to the Gentile and it wasn't speaking to the Church etcetera and vice versa

What I am trying to get across here simply is this. Dont covet, ma fejumo oro oloro, especially parts of the Bible, like those something(s) belonging to another
21st century believers have been indoctrinated to covet verses such as like these abandoned tithe or offering principles, like coveting passages not talking to them but was talking to others
Such bad and misled behaviours are damaging and detriment to a believer enjoying fulfilment based on better principles established in charis (i.e. grace), generosity, altruism, agape and others found in Galatian 5:22-23

I wonder if Pastor Chris Oyakhilome would have arrived London in a private jet, receive red carpet red suited guards of honour presidential welcome at an airport with a rolls royce to pick him up, if the Wright brothers were fantastically bought into the law of gravity eternal principle so much as to refuse appreciating or acknowledging the law of aerodynamics which is not only just another eternal principle but is a better one, taking anyone seizing the opportunity & who doesnt want to remain grounded to heights (no pun was intended)

Dont let your words be too many . I meant to write (TLB) not NLT I wonder why you make a big deal out of just that .

1 Corinthians 16:2(TLB )
On every Lord's Day each of you should put aside something from what you have earned during the week, and use it for this offering. The amount depends on how much the Lord has helped you earn. Don't wait until I get there and then try to collect it all at once .

We shall get there . I'm sure by checking the reference "offering " you saw that and you realized you've made a mistake and since you wouldn't want retrieve your "revelation" which means concession,the best thing you probably thought as a way out is to destroy or rubbish the evidence cool.

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Gombs(m): 11:49am On Jun 06, 2016
MuttleyLaff:

The Bible, Jesus. Paul and others teaches that believers giving is an act of worship.

smiley

you are really getting it fantastically wrong.

I hope you know collection is a form of giving? undecided

grin grin grin grin grin
Wonderful

..and a doctrine is birthed already grin grin grin

Lets call a spade a spade. [size=18pt]Whatever believers ''offer'' is not called offering but is simply called giving or collection[/size]

This was where i was heading to. It's shameful and a huge disgust that Christian brothers will go this lenght to refute a claim for either their selfish reasons or ignorance. Goshen360 said same (I've always thought you write and argue like his sha), and i schooled him properly, he didnt drop by afterwards. I'd just paste the link here, especially for those following this discourse.

https://www.nairaland.com/2824312/eat-tithe-before-lord/3#45001714

He made ridiculous claims as you just did, notably the following

1. Giving is giving NOT offerings.
2. Contributions can come in form of giving but not offerings .

and many others...let me ask you what I asked him...
my question is, Is GIFTS different from GIVINGS which is also different from OFFERINGS?? The greek words here are dosis (Phil 4:15), domah (Matt 7:11)and Prosphora (Rom 15:16). ALL these greek words have one thing in common... the word Gift.

So, was Paul's techings on Collections as you call it and not gifts as in gifts, giving and offerings?

there is another word "Collection", it appeared once (or twice if you count it as 1 corith 16:1 & 2) in the NT, and the greek is Logia, which means money gathered for the relief of the poor, you'd see that in 1 Corinthians 16:1, which brings me to the latter part of my question, for we know what you termed contribution or collection was not gathered for the relief of the poor... except the Pastor said it is initially to the brethren before the givings are done.

Offering as was practised by the Israelites involved agricultural produce e.g. animal and food. [s]Money didnt exchange hands except only and particularly with trespass offering[/s]

Wrong! A thousand times wrong.

Moses' law was't strictly agricultural produce, monies were involved. Let me explain

There were only two types of income that were tithable: One was from agricultural production.

"All the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord’s" (Leviticus 27:30).

This meant that a tenth of all agricultural produce of the land of Israel, whether fruits or vegetables, had to be tithed.

The second type of tithable income was the increase of animals. "All the tithe of the herd or flock, whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the Lord" (verse 32). Only these two specific income producers were subject to the tithe IN THE LAW OF MOSES.

There was, however, one exception to this rule. Leviticus 27:31 reads: "If a man will redeem ought of his tithe, he shall add unto it the fifth part thereof." In other words, if a man for various reasons did not wish to pay his tithe in kind (and he wished to give money as a substitute), he was penalized a fifth part.

Y'all should drop the tithe collector brouhaha, and that monies were never involved, but just crops.

Do you do burnt offering/ordination (or cereal and grain) offering, the meal offering/the drink offering, the peace offering/freewill (or vow, wave and thanksgiving) offering, the sin offering or the trespass offering like the Israelites used to do?

There are many instructions for sacrifice throughout the Pentateuch, but Leviticus chapters 1-7 is completely dedicated to the 5 Levitical offerings which were the main sacrifices used in the rituals. They describe 5 kinds of sacrifices: The burnt offering, the meal offering, the peace offering, the sin offering, and the trespass offering . Each of the sacrifices were uniquely fulfilled in Jesus Christ.

But Paul talked about some kind of givings (some translations used offerings), he also taught on the conditions for giving, and the benefits...My question is, is how then is giving not same as offerings, when in the greek, they both mean GIFTS? Is collections (as you lot call it) the giving Paul was talking about? What of that of Peter and Ananias? Was it collections too? (Note: I've explained the word collection according tot he greek

No, you don't and/or can't do any of them, and that is because these are well defined and tagged offerings which exclusively fell within the remit of the Israelites, formerly practised by them alone, based on and because of the Levitical law(s)

He doesn't do them because Jesus already did it for him, not because it was tagged offering.

note, some churches gave Paul monies to do the work of ministry, that was a gift, like Jesus received from Suzanna, Joanna and co. It was monies given for a specific reason, it was for their needs (Pocket money, shaving money, okada money, Amala ati ewedu dinner, Tax money, etc).... and it was for his personal purpose. This can be termed seed, gift, giving AND offerings. No point calling it collection, for the bible clearly defined collection in 1Corinthians 16:1

QUIZ:
Paul wrote, that his offering up of the gentiles might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Ghost... The greek word translated offering there is Prosphora, which means,giftor ....a present! Why say then that givings (gifts) is different from offering (gifts)? Don't you see offerings, givings is different from collection as the bible states?

so, then i ask, If tithes are done away with, what about offerings?
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Goshen360(m): 6:12pm On Jun 13, 2016
^ ^ ^ What is you talking about? cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by christemmbassey(m): 7:40pm On Jun 14, 2016
Goshen360:
hahahaha its a st'dance called 'twist'

1 Like

Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Gombs(m): 9:49pm On Jun 14, 2016
Goshen360:

christemmbassey:
hahahaha its a st'dance called 'twist'

Just like air thought.. Lol.. I wasn't expecting anything more from you two. Thanks for not disappointing me.
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Goshen360(m): 4:12am On Jun 15, 2016
Gombs:

Just like air thought.. Lol.. I wasn't expecting anything more from you two. Thanks for not disappointing me.

because I don't have your time.... grin
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Gombs(m): 6:03am On Jun 15, 2016
Goshen360:

because I don't have your time.... grin

I'm glad you don't. I can understand why.

Cheers
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by MuttleyLaff: 9:46pm On Jun 25, 2016
Joagbaje:
Dont let your words be too many
SMH. What would cause anyone to want to avoid information?
Information overload is always the main challenge for the learning fear, knowledge fear or wisdom fear anyway

Joagbaje:
I meant to write (TLB) not NLT I wonder why you make a big deal out of just that
Please be fair and honest brother, tell the truth and put the devil to shame
Did I make a big deal out of ''just that'' brother?
No, I asked that you compare and contrast your 1 Corinthians 16:2 (NLT) with my 1 Corinthians 16:2 (NLT)
adding that only God knows why
before SMH, saying you tried, and shifting my heinie for you

I made ''a big deal out of'' other things with you in that post, exposing you to a few incontrovertible truths, like:
#1 You better start accepting that, no where in the Bible does Jesus or Paul call whatever the believers give, offering.
#2 Please reproduce all translations of 2 Corinthians 9:2 or any other translations of 2 Corinthians 9:2 with offering in the verse
#3 Recognise that the bible is a book of divisions
#4 What I am trying to get across here simply is this. DON'T COVET, ''ma fẹjumọ ọrọ ọlọrọ'', especially parts of the Bible, like those part(s) belonging to another
#5 21st century believers have been indoctrinated to covet verses such as like these abandoned tithe or offering principles, like coveting passages not talking to them but was talking to others
# Lastly made a big deal about, wondering, if the Wright brothers were fantastically bought into the law of gravity eternal principle so much as to refuse appreciating or acknowledging the law of aerodynamics which is not only just another eternal principle but is a better one, taking anyone seizing the opportunity & who doesnt want to remain grounded to heights (no pun was intended), would Pastor Chris Oyakhilome have arrived London in a private jet, receive red carpet red suited guards of honour presidential welcome at an airport with a rolls royce to pick him up

Joagbaje:
1 Corinthians 16:2(TLB )
On every Lord's Day each of you should put aside something from what you have earned during the week, and use it for this offering.
The amount depends on how much the Lord has helped you earn. Don't wait until I get there and then try to collect it all at once

This immediately above screen grab, is the Greek-English interlinear New Testament 1 Corinthians 16:2 Berean Literal Bible
The λογεῖαι (i.e. money gave) is called collection and not offering. It speaks volumes brother.

Joagbaje:
We shall get there
Waiting with baited breath, seriously though cant wait for us to get there

Joagbaje:
I'm sure by checking the reference "offering" you saw that and you realized you've made a mistake
When we have the true information about the original texts there is no need to check any reference ''offerring'' sic, and I am beatifully glad you put ''offering'' in double quotes

Joagbaje:
and since you wouldn't want retrieve your "revelation" which means concession, the best thing you probably thought as a way out is to destroy or rubbish the evidence
This is New Testament 101, it is not ''revelation''
You can't see the wood for the trees, please clear the phantoms in the head, grasp reality and stop being a drowning man grasping at straws
I do not have to destroy or rubbish your phantom evidence, because the facts speak for themselves.
If money is needed, arrange or call for a giving or collection, do not hide under the cloak of tithe and/or offering which is a pretense
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by MuttleyLaff: 10:08pm On Jun 25, 2016
Gombs:
smiley

you are really getting it fantastically wrong.

I hope you know collection is a form of giving? undecided

grin grin grin grin grin
Wonderful

..and a doctrine is birthed already grin grin grin

This was where i was heading to. It's shameful and a huge disgust that Christian brothers will go this lenght to refute a claim for either their selfish reasons or ignorance. Goshen360 said same (I've always thought you write and argue like his sha), and i schooled him properly, he didnt drop by afterwards. I'd just paste the link here, especially for those following this discourse.

https://www.nairaland.com/2824312/eat-tithe-before-lord/3#45001714

He made ridiculous claims as you just did, notably the following

1. Giving is giving NOT offerings.
2. Contributions can come in form of giving but not offerings .

and many others...let me ask you what I asked him...
my question is, Is GIFTS different from GIVINGS which is also different from OFFERINGS?? The greek words here are dosis (Phil 4:15), domah (Matt 7:11)and Prosphora (Rom 15:16). ALL these greek words have one thing in common... the word Gift.

So, was Paul's techings on Collections as you call it and not gifts as in gifts, giving and offerings?

there is another word "Collection", it appeared once (or twice if you count it as 1 corith 16:1 & 2) in the NT, and the greek is Logia, which means money gathered for the relief of the poor, you'd see that in 1 Corinthians 16:1, which brings me to the latter part of my question, for we know what you termed contribution or collection was not gathered for the relief of the poor... except the Pastor said it is initially to the brethren before the givings are done.

Wrong! A thousand times wrong.

Moses' law was't strictly agricultural produce, monies were involved. Let me explain

There were only two types of income that were tithable: One was from agricultural production.

"All the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord’s" (Leviticus 27:30).

This meant that a tenth of all agricultural produce of the land of Israel, whether fruits or vegetables, had to be tithed.

The second type of tithable income was the increase of animals. "All the tithe of the herd or flock, whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the Lord" (verse 32). Only these two specific income producers were subject to the tithe IN THE LAW OF MOSES.

There was, however, one exception to this rule. Leviticus 27:31 reads: "If a man will redeem ought of his tithe, he shall add unto it the fifth part thereof." In other words, if a man for various reasons did not wish to pay his tithe in kind (and he wished to give money as a substitute), he was penalized a fifth part.

Y'all should drop the tithe collector brouhaha, and that monies were never involved, but just crops.

There are many instructions for sacrifice throughout the Pentateuch, but Leviticus chapters 1-7 is completely dedicated to the 5 Levitical offerings which were the main sacrifices used in the rituals. They describe 5 kinds of sacrifices: The burnt offering, the meal offering, the peace offering, the sin offering, and the trespass offering . Each of the sacrifices were uniquely fulfilled in Jesus Christ.

But Paul talked about some kind of givings (some translations used offerings), he also taught on the conditions for giving, and the benefits...My question is, is how then is giving not same as offerings, when in the greek, they both mean GIFTS? Is collections (as you lot call it) the giving Paul was talking about? What of that of Peter and Ananias? Was it collections too? (Note: I've explained the word collection according tot he greek

He doesn't do them because Jesus already did it for him, not because it was tagged offering.

note, some churches gave Paul monies to do the work of ministry, that was a gift, like Jesus received from Suzanna, Joanna and co. It was monies given for a specific reason, it was for their needs (Pocket money, shaving money, okada money, Amala ati ewedu dinner, Tax money, etc).... and it was for his personal purpose. This can be termed seed, gift, giving AND offerings. No point calling it collection, for the bible clearly defined collection in 1Corinthians 16:1

QUIZ:
Paul wrote, that his offering up of the gentiles might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Ghost... The greek word translated offering there is Prosphora, which means,giftor ....a present! Why say then that givings (gifts) is different from offering (gifts)? Don't you see offerings, givings is different from collection as the bible states?

so, then i ask, If tithes are done away with, what about offerings?

Wish I could rip this post to shreds but wisdom prevails
About Goshen360, ''ẹjẹ lo nrun'', as he is my brother from another mother, that is why we say same (i.e. write and argue educate alike sha)
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by Joagbaje(m): 6:36am On Jun 26, 2016
^^^^^^
Hmmm finally summoned some courage to come out of hiding . That's nice .
Re: Tithes And Offerings Are Eternal Principles by MuttleyLaff: 8:21am On Jun 26, 2016
Joagbaje:
^^^^^^
Hmmm finally summoned some courage to come out of hiding
SMH.
There's nothing quite like seeing a tool, behaving as expected, posting a silly remark as one like this and mistaking my silence for weakness or lack of courage

If you havent and dont understand my words, am not surprised you dont understand the intermission and silence

Next time, try ''Hmmm finally found time and/or a suitable period to publish a rebut''

Joagbaje:
That's nice
Yep will be nice and will be with great delight to have your self-conceited person for breakfast, lick, chew and crunch the bones before spitting them out

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (Reply)

Apostle Suleman Reacts To Shoprite's Looting In Nigeria Over Xenophobia In SA / Pastor Victor Ativie: Osinachi Nwachukwu's Husband Hid Money Paid To Her (Video) / Frank Edwards And Don Moen In The Studio - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 167
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.