Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,673 members, 7,816,760 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:37 PM

Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair (62176 Views)

The Ancient City Of Benin: Our Bronze Heritage In Pictures / Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa / Beautiful Faces Of Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by ATMC(f): 5:43pm On Oct 02, 2013
kandiikane: At atmc thats not really the traditional traditional garments nuh? I am sure deeeep down in the jungles of yorubaland there are more 'tribal wears' or even back in the 1600s?
bring them on...the 'traditional tradotional garments'. me wan see.
while yhu r at it...

2 Likes

Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Nobody: 5:47pm On Oct 02, 2013
Let me look for edo, Efik etc to post. I'll be back. cheesy
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by ATMC(f): 6:00pm On Oct 02, 2013
@kandi yhu r faster, day 1 is 'attirical'...not the above
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by kandiikane(m): 6:04pm On Oct 02, 2013
ATMC: bring them on...the 'traditional tradotional garments'. me wan see.
while yhu r at it...

Are you telling me that is the cultural outfit yorubas have worn since the dawn of time?

The wolof too have the same but I doubt that it was what their ancestors wore. It's more of a modern traditionwear.
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by kandiikane(m): 6:05pm On Oct 02, 2013
[quote author=ATMC]@kandi yhu r faster, day 1 is 'attirical'...not the above[/quote

grin

ok sorry got carried away. hard to find traditional manding attires.
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by kandiikane(m): 6:09pm On Oct 02, 2013
[img]http://hearstmuseum.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/images/06_blog/Paige%20Walker/Screen%20Shot%202013-01-23%20at%209.26.51%20AM.png[/img]

mende women
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Fulaman198(m): 6:11pm On Oct 02, 2013
kandiikane: [img]http://hearstmuseum.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/images/06_blog/Paige%20Walker/Screen%20Shot%202013-01-23%20at%209.26.51%20AM.png[/img]

mende women

I'm debating whether or not to hide this for partial nudity, I know these women are dressing out of innocence but it does show their chest area
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by kandiikane(m): 6:16pm On Oct 02, 2013
Fulaman198:

I'm debating whether or not to hide this for partial nudity, I know these women are dressing out of innocence but it does show their chest area

Its not for sexual reasons plus it is part of our culture. We should disown our past to please the present?
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Nobody: 6:18pm On Oct 02, 2013
HumbledbYGrace:
I need those beads, where do I get the material cry
Sunnyside! angry
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by ATMC(f): 6:19pm On Oct 02, 2013
kandiikane:

Are you telling me that is the cultural outfit yorubas have worn since the dawn of time?

The wolof too have the same but I doubt that it was what their ancestors wore. It's more of a modern traditionwear.
the people up there are igbos!
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Nobody: 6:21pm On Oct 02, 2013
kandiikane:

mende women

How do they dress today?

Anyway Edo in the building

Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by kandiikane(m): 6:22pm On Oct 02, 2013
ATMC: the people up there are igbos!

I am talking about the picture with the buba and fila or file?

Is that the traditional wear like from back in the day?
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Nobody: 6:23pm On Oct 02, 2013
Edo

Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by ATMC(f): 6:25pm On Oct 02, 2013
kandiikane:

I am talking about the picture with the buba and fila or file?

Is that the traditional wear like from back in the day?
i wouldnt know...ayam igbo. i just posted it at hbg',s request. is it not?
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by HumbledbYGrace(f): 6:26pm On Oct 02, 2013
kandiikane: Lool, gosh I can't claim one and leave the others when I am not even familiar with my father's culture. cry grin

Can I just claim british for now? Lol grin
lol, yes you can Afripean
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by ATMC(f): 6:27pm On Oct 02, 2013
@still waters those beads are fabulous!
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by kandiikane(m): 6:27pm On Oct 02, 2013
stillwater:

How do they dress today?

Anyway Edo in the building

Like everyone else. It's not my ethnicity so I am not too familiar with it.

Mende people. They tend to be topless and wear loads of decorations.

[img]http://www.corbisimages.com/images/Corbis-JX001219.jpg?size=67&uid=332a4ef6-52dd-42ce-8038-ac2dec78d173[/img]

mende tribal hunters.

A chief in war costume

[img]http://4.bp..com/-jOZXq0AE3oY/UT5WLrE1c8I/AAAAAAAAAO8/kiSVUJ4svvI/s640/sierra-leone.mende.-sande-initiates.kaolin-clay%252C-jewelry%252Ctextiles%252Cflowers.jpg[/img]

From what I know and growing up bondo or bonduu refers to circumcision. This is how girls dress up when they are 'initiated' into womanhood. FGM

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by HumbledbYGrace(f): 6:32pm On Oct 02, 2013
ngwana.mobu:

Sunnyside! angry
were we not together while looking for them? angry
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Fulaman198(m): 6:35pm On Oct 02, 2013
kandiikane:

Its not for sexual reasons plus it is part of our culture. We should disown our past to please the present?

I understand
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by ATMC(f): 6:41pm On Oct 02, 2013
@kandikane those 'em mende people are funny...imagine walking about almost nude, then going to war all dressed@war chief. difference in culture indeed. methinks it is better done otherwise
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Nobody: 6:49pm On Oct 02, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: were we not together while looking for them? angry
It's because they keep moving shops!!!! We'll go to Hillbrow next time angry angry angry
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by HumbledbYGrace(f): 6:58pm On Oct 02, 2013
ngwana.mobu:

It's because they keep moving shops!!!! We'll go to Hillbrow next time angry angry angry
shocked *snaps fingers* Hilbrow Me God forbid!!! angry
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Fulaman198(m): 7:04pm On Oct 02, 2013
Guys and girls please keep talk about sensual objects to a minimum, there is a separate section for that on Nairaland.
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by ATMC(f): 7:06pm On Oct 02, 2013
Fulaman198: Guys and girls please keep talk about sensual objects to a minimum, there is a separate section for that on Nairaland.
smh yhur mind sef. i asked a simple question
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Nobody: 7:08pm On Oct 02, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: shocked *snaps fingers* Hilbrow Me God forbid!!! angry
HumbledbYGrace: shocked *snaps fingers* Hilbrow Me God forbid!!! angry
Don't be THAT girl who derails the thread! Re tla bolela undecided
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by HumbledbYGrace(f): 7:13pm On Oct 02, 2013
ngwana.mobu:

Don't be THAT girl who derails the thread! Re tla bolela undecided
eh, eh. Was just saying.
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Nyumba(m): 7:45pm On Oct 02, 2013
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Nyumba(m): 7:48pm On Oct 02, 2013

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The Wodaabe Fulani In Africa, Where Women Can Marry As Many Husbands (Photos) / The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There / 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.