Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,944 members, 7,952,804 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:12 AM

Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria (23927 Views)

2016 EFCC Recruitment ( Graduates And Non-graduates) How True? / 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable / ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by PilotOz(m): 5:01pm On Sep 30, 2013
One dad adviced me to go to school so i could write a good application to get a good job, while the other dad taught me how to write strong business plans to create jobs.
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by papindinho(m): 5:11pm On Sep 30, 2013
@op don't take education to mean literacy they are way different as your points went for artisanal practice which can be seen as education on its own..
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by validplanet: 5:17pm On Sep 30, 2013
siokpe: ALL OUR DOCTORS ARE ILLITRATES?
ALL OUR NEWSCASTERS ARE ILLITRATES?
ALL OUR I.T ENGINEERS ARE ILLITRATES?
ALL OUR PILOTS ARE ILLITRATES?
ALL OUR ACCOUNTANTS ARE ILLITRATES?

all the Trado medical doctors are LITERATES
all the keke, taxi, bus drivers are LITERATES.
journalists? i can now do without newspapers as long as i have nairaland. maybe one day i'll do away with the television and radio and watch them online from non professionals. so those ur journalist may become unemployed.
check what fraction of the society are employed by those protected professions.
and day by day they are losing their jobs to people who learned how to do what they do without going to the universities
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:18pm On Sep 30, 2013
Well, I think university education is somewhat overrated, especially in a country like Nigeria where most lecturers cannot tell left from right. This is why I scoff at the clowns that call themselves ASUU. They have a ridiculously overbloated sense of their own importance. Holding Nigerians to ransom and demanding billions and billions for doing what exactly?

I don't remember learning much from my lecturers per se during my university days. Most of them spent half the time lamenting everything lamentable and the other half clowning about and discussing trivial issues irrelevant to the subject at hand. Much of the actual academic content I learnt (and know to this day) was self-taught - largely courtesy of the internet. Indeed, with benefit of hindsight, it is clear to me that one could easily have learnt all there is to learn about virtually any academic subject taught in the university without any input by any lecturer - thanks to the all-knowing internet. Practical knowledge can also be acquired by hands-on application and repetition - outside the Four Walls of higher institution classrooms - as demonstrated daily by our mechanics, construction workers, electricians, plumbers, and other skilled but non-certified 'professionals'.

On the other hand, I think primary and secondary school teachers (NUT) are underpaid and grossly under-appreciated. Theirs' is the most important work of all. Once one receives effective formal education grounding at the primary and secondary levels, the rest is a matter of orientation, aptitude, attitude, and fortitude. . . .all of which have little to do with higher institution certification.

Nonetheless, this does not mean that one shouldn't seek higher education if one has the opportunity. Modern society is still heavily skewed in favour of certification. It is therefore important to join them if you can't beat them, or so the saying goes.

7 Likes

Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by Orikinla(m): 5:20pm On Sep 30, 2013
validplanet: it really makes no sense to go to the university considering the fact that those that didnt go to university get more job opportunities than the graduates. there is virtually no work in the society today that cant be done by illiterates who just acquired their skills outside the 4 walls of the university, so whats the point?

take for instance, opposite my house here, some1 just completed a 2 storey building. and i didnt find any single graduate among the workers. the guy just went to lagos and brought some builders who came and built his house from foundation to roofing. all were illiterates who learnt how to build houses outside d university. d question is; why should some1 spend 5 yrs studying civil engineering in nigeria?

go to the mechanic village; all the auto mechanics there are illiterates. and some1 will spend more than =N=500,000. studying mechanical engineering for 5 yrs.

d music industry? i dont know their profiles but i can bet they didnt study music in the university.

fashion design? all illiterates.

i can go on and on.

i pity our unemployed graduates who spent their fortune and time acquiring university education only to come out to find there are no jobs for them.

But majority of Nollywood actors are graduates.
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by validplanet: 5:25pm On Sep 30, 2013
pro01: Well, I think university education is somewhat overrated, especially in a country like nigeria where most lecturers cannot tell left from right. This why I scoff at these clowns that call themselves ASUU. They have a ridiculously overbloated sense of their own importance. Holding Nigerians to ransom and demanding billions and billions for doing what exactly?

I don't remember learning much from my lecturers per se during my university days. Most of them spent half the time lamenting everything lamentable and the other half clowning about and discussing trivial issues irrelevant to the subject at hand. Much of the actual academic content I learnt (and know to this day) was self-taught - largely courtesy of the internet. Indeed, with benefit of hindsight, it is clear to me that one could easily have learnt all there is to learn about virtually any academic subject taught in the university without any input by any lecturer - thanks to the all-knowing internet. Practical knowledge can also be acquired by hands-on application and repetition - outside the Four Walls of higher institution classrooms - as demonstrated daily by our mechanics, construction workers, electricians, plumbers, and other skilled but non-certified 'professionals'.

On the other hand, I think primary and secondary school teachers (NUT) are underpaid and grossly under-appreciated. Theirs' is the most important work of all. Once one receives effective formal education grounding at the primary and secondary levels, then the rest is a matter of orientation, aptitude, attitude, and fortitude. . . .all of which have little to do with higher institution certification.

YOU ARE THERE!
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:37pm On Sep 30, 2013
Working on a website thou...
If u use bb I can gv u my pin cuz I want to change my mail add before I can respond to pms
pickabeau1:

me thinks u shd look into it especially at the aspect of farmomg... i can learn from it n many others
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by InvertedHammer: 5:46pm On Sep 30, 2013
/
Education is good. The problem is that Nigeria rarely rewards professionalism unless in areas like medicine, thuggery,etc. Eg.

Pharmacists vs. Chemists (and luxurious bus/motor park peddlers)
Architects vs. "ogbo mmanu" (I sabi all masons)
Electrical engineers vs. electricians
Mechanical engineers vs. mechanics
Petroleum engineers vs. oil bunkerers

and the list goes on.

There are lots of differences in these professions but an average Nigerian does not know and does not give a rats a#s

//
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:47pm On Sep 30, 2013
peppy luv: And what is ur definition of an illiterate?
Literacy is all about knowing how to read and write and this is acquired at the foundation level ie pre-primary and primary and 90% of this people u call illiterates went to high school so does the fact that they didn't get into the tertiary institution make them illiterates?
You and I know that 89% percent of Nigerian graduates are not better than the people u call illiterates. They just go to school to answer graduate but they are more dumb than the school cleaners. If you hear most of them speak u wil bow your head in shame. Some of my co corp members especially a grl called oduayo, are worse than the villagers we teach,they use "him" for both male and female, the use of present and past tense is even worse. Imagine sec schl kids calling a corp member "village girl" even to her face!
Besides in camp we are advised and taught to acquire skills but you see many corp members feeling too big to do so but go to togo,even the bricklayers are graduates!
So,nobody is cheating anybody. There is no job specially made for graduates and non graduates what Nigerian youths don't understand is the dignity in labour! Be proud of whateva puts food on ur table,learn a skill,carpentry,tailoring or u call it design,you can go into farming etc
Most of the roadside mechanics are better than our graduate Engineers.

As for me I am a proud teacher and farmer. my frnds thought I was jokin when as a child I said I wanted to teach and farm but today they see it differently cuz of what have been hapnin in my life so far and they are proud of me cuz I am a teacher with a difference smiley
You also knw the story of Bill gates so no need for long story.
Bro rather than waiting for govt,pls do something for urself and if u feel the artists are making too much money then join them or stop patronising them.
My take!

For a teacher, your vocabs still need upgrading if you do not know that the comparative for dumb is "dumber" and not "more dumb".

Be sure you are flawless before taking cheap shots at your fellow "half baked graduates".

2 Likes

Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by jmoore(m): 5:48pm On Sep 30, 2013
With the aid of computer and internet you can virtually learn anything you want, that is called informal education.
Is Bill Gates an illiterate, huh?

Any university graduate who classifies one that is not a university graduate as an illiterate is ignorant about the word "literacy"

Don't depend on your certificate!!

2 Likes

Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by Ojobojo1(m): 5:54pm On Sep 30, 2013
@OP, U r obviously not an engineer, engineers jobs r not to do normal building or mechanic work, electrician work etc. Those r d jobs 4 d artisans and technicians, A civil engr deals wit road construction -design, drainage, levelling, bridge, airfield and very big buildings and a mech engr designs machines, u hear nt repair or service them, same with ol oda disciplines, an electrician cannot ever be put in charge of a network infrastructure, we engineers supervise d technicians, technologists and artisans.

3 Likes

Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by pickabeau1: 6:02pm On Sep 30, 2013
peppy luv: Working on a website thou...
If u use bb I can gv u my pin cuz I want to change my mail add before I can respond to pms

So how do I get d pin

Would also like to know about your website
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by Funpeter: 6:03pm On Sep 30, 2013
validplanet: and by the way, school is full of craps that dont apply to real life. up till now, i've never seen an atom and i dont know how that information will help me to make money today.
You havnt search very well.
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by Funpeter: 6:07pm On Sep 30, 2013
Literacy is all about knowing how to read and write and this is acquired at the foundation level ie pre-primary and primary and 90% of this people u call illiterates went to high school so does the fact that they didn't get into the tertiary institution make them illiterates?
You and I know that 89% percent of Nigerian graduates are not better than the people u call illiterates. They just go to school to answer graduate but they are more dumb than the school cleaners. If you hear most of them speak u wil bow your head in shame. Some of my co corp members especially a grl called oduayo, are worse than the villagers we teach,they use "him" for both male and female, the use of present and past tense is even worse. Imagine sec schl kids calling a corp member "village girl" even to her face!
Besides in camp we are advised and taught to acquire skills but you see many corp members feeling too big to do so but go to togo,even the bricklayers are graduates!
So,nobody is cheating anybody. There is no job specially made for graduates and non graduates what Nigerian youths don't understand is the dignity in labour! Be proud of whateva puts food on ur table,learn a skill,carpentry,tailoring or u call it design,you can go into farming etc

As for me I am a proud teacher and farmer. my frnds thought I was jokin when as a child I said I wanted to teach and farm but today they see it differently cuz of what have been hapnin in my life so far and they are proud of me cuz I am a teacher with a difference smiley
Bro rather than waiting for govt,pls do something for urself and if u feel the artists are making too much money then join them or stop patronising them.
My take!
One trilion likes for you alone.
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by francisbiz: 6:08pm On Sep 30, 2013
validplanet: and by the way, school is full of craps that dont apply to real life. up till now, i've never seen an atom and i dont know how that information will help me to make money today.
Check am now, from integrated science to chemical engineering!
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:09pm On Sep 30, 2013
Chrisbenogor:
Mechanical Engineering is not about fixing cars dumba$$ angry angry angry

Soon as I saw that line, I hit the back button.
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by HiDee2(m): 6:09pm On Sep 30, 2013
Ngwakwe: Most of those people you called non-graduates and illiterate are graduate-artisans with multi skills capabilities having learnt and worked with so many experts and trainers in one field of endeavour or the other.

Moreover, almost all of them did complete their JS3 School programmes and cannot be categorically called illiterate.

I will advise most classroom-graduates to join them in the meantime and until your luck shines (you get your dream job).

Well spoken, bro. On point.
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by AngelRaphael(m): 6:20pm On Sep 30, 2013
May God have mercy on us
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by danot1030: 6:20pm On Sep 30, 2013
op i think frustration is beginning 2 take its toll on u and u are deranged. U need 2 get ur head examine at yaba opposite.
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:23pm On Sep 30, 2013

My take!

Madam corper no vex o,but As you dey take yab oduayo for her back say she no sabi english,why don't you perfect your own english first,abi you no know say you sef gbagaun? I sure say you get personal beef with the girl.

3 Likes

Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by Nate7even: 6:25pm On Sep 30, 2013
Ojobojo1: @OP, U r obviously not an engineer, engineers jobs r not to do normal building or mechanic work, electrician work etc. Those r d jobs 4 d artisans and technicians, A civil engr deals wit road construction -design, drainage, levelling, bridge, airfield and very big buildings and a mech engr designs machines, u hear nt repair or service them, same with ol oda disciplines, an electrician cannot ever be put in charge of a network infrastructure, we engineers supervise d technicians, technologists and artisans.
Thank you, load bearing structures are easy for artisans to build without supervision but give them 5 stories and above which are framed structures and it will crumble before completion because the don't know how to distribute the loads on there own, same thing goes for bridges, dams, road networks, drainage systems etc. there is a level of technicality artisans can't reach
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by dinggle: 6:27pm On Sep 30, 2013
@OP, I disagree with you completely.
Literacy is not only about knowing how to read and write, it is also about understanding your field and knowing how to survive with it!
All graduates who can't survive in their chosen fields are illiterates period! Nigeria is the best country for graduates to become billionaires, because we have numerous problems begging for solutions and such solutions could be monetized to create wealth.
As a matter of fact, the road mechanics, local builders, fashion designers etc are the literates while the graduates are illiterates, the more graduate we produce the more our problems are compounded in Nigeria, because the graduates who are suppose to solve Nigeria's problems in their respective fields are creating problems because they can't help themselves. Many did not know why they went to school, many can not handle challenges. But the artisans are problem solvers who first! find solutions to problems before monetizing their solution to create wealth. Many graduates don't develop survival strategy until they are in their final year or during their youth service. How can you explain a mechanical engineer giving his car to a road side mechanic? or an electrical engineer patronizing a road side electrician to help fix his/her fan, fridge or A/C?? Even if the engineer is a govt worker it is an indictment on him/her period!
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by danny301: 6:35pm On Sep 30, 2013
You don't call people illiterates just because they didn't graduate from conventional universities. It's very wrong to call someone who could study a building plan and handle such a gigantic building an illiterate...... Many of us (Nigerians) have very wrong understanding of that word "Education". There are several graduates who never had any education and there are very many persons who don't even know how a university looks like but are well educated..... Our understanding of education in this part of the world is different from what is obtainable around the world and that is why we only go to universities just for the sake of getting jobs after graduation and not to develop ourselves skillfully and intellectually to face the real world on our own. We all know that more than 70% Nigerian graduates are not employable .... Any education that does not develop you skillfully and intellectually to survive on your own legitimately is not worth having.... Its high time we began to look for the substances in education which is only route out of mass unemployment everywhere in the world instead of rushing into the university just for the fun of it.
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by swiftycool(m): 6:37pm On Sep 30, 2013
Hahahaha! This bros calling masons illiterates! am sure you have not really gone close to one. Many of these so called illiterates would comfortably read a building drawing calibrated in metres and off hand convert it to millimetres, feet or inches depending on what they are comfortable with and implement it scaled 1:1 on the ground. Now i can bet my balls you, the op would look like the illiterate if asked to do this same calculation that a bricklayer would easily do.

Also never mistake a bricklayer/mason's competency of laying blocks/brick with the expertise of a builder, engineer or Architect as the latter are actually trained to calculate the strength and structural stability and implementation of the most complex structures we can dream of. In many situations that mere artisans were called to handle a project, there are two things often involved, either the waste of materials or under use of same leading to building instability hence collapse or crazy project cost and time over runs.
There are many things an Engineer can do to proffer solutions to problematic building environments or failing buildings which any artisan does not have the slightest clue about. Now a building is lifetime and expensive investment, you decide whose hands you would put the technical development of this investment.

1 Like

Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by tefund(m): 6:42pm On Sep 30, 2013
point of correction....an illiterate is a person who can neither write nor speak,i figure you misuse words in your write up.

many mechanical engineering graduate cannot do simple soldering but a mechanic can do...todays workplace environments place preference on technical skills and competence rather than theoretical knowlege.
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by ozor333(m): 7:01pm On Sep 30, 2013
Theory And practical are not the same.
I have being a supervisor in a building site.
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by God2man(m): 7:03pm On Sep 30, 2013
Nairalanders are thinking to grow rich.
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:08pm On Sep 30, 2013
Well I had lots of mistakes after typing cuz I was fast and was correcting them by modiying my post,didn't see that.thanx for the correction
Bandit C.:

For a teacher, your vocabs still need upgrading if you do not know that the comparative for dumb is "dumber" and not "more dumb".

Be sure you are flawless before taking cheap shots at your fellow "half baked graduates".
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by BRAINCRASH(m): 7:14pm On Sep 30, 2013
In developed countries everything is being operated by technicians and engineers,they study to at least the equivalent of ND yet they teach our engineers on site.The masons and mechanics learn practically while Engineers learn theory in the schools.In Abuja I,ve seen Automobile Engineer o[en and own workshops with Hi-Tech equipment. Get your capital and defend your Certificate..
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:22pm On Sep 30, 2013
Well I had lots of mistakes after typing cuz I was fast and was correcting them by modifying my post,didn't see that.thanx for the correction
Bandit C.:

Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by ubeji: 7:28pm On Sep 30, 2013
What dey r doing are not engineering.It is artisan work go and check what an Engineer does my dear.We are always mixing thinmgs up in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by collynzo2(m): 7:33pm On Sep 30, 2013
Symphony007: That is due to the shambolic state of nigeria. The disorganisation in the country has exastubated the whole issue...if not, which sane country will stand by and watch a bunch of illetriats build a house without proffesional and learned supervision? It cheats the proffesionals and that house might not be safe.

But i assure you that as things get better in nigeria, a division of labour takes root. You'll know the value of a degree. Overseas, not everybody goes to college. Some just finish high school and learn a craft, they by no means suffer. So you'll ask yourself why every parent wants their kids to go to college. That distinction i pray as we grow will take hold in nigeria.
This is not applicable to Nigeria only, even in the US many now consider going to college a scam, especially after considering the huge debts they accrue because of student loans with liitle or no hope of paying after graduating.
www.americanthinker.com/2013/07/m-the_college_degree_scam.html

www.jamesaltucher.com/2013/04/is-college-a-scam/
www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/06/03/stephens.college/index.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Graduates Asked To Market Fresh Fish / Hallmark University Massive Academic And Non-academic Staff Recruitment / Apply For Shell Livewire Programme 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.