Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,623 members, 7,823,746 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:22 PM

Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria (23774 Views)

2016 EFCC Recruitment ( Graduates And Non-graduates) How True? / 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable / ‘60% Of Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployed’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:37pm On Sep 30, 2013
There's an opportunity to engage and empower Nigerian youths through internship placements. Internship Connect gives you a 2day employability and skill assessment training after which you get posted to organizations on your field to intern for 6 months AND YOU GeT PAID!. This can get you work experience and you are likely to be retained by the organization.
please visit www.internshipconnect.net or follow @internsconnect on twitter for details on registration. Our office is also at 51, Opebi road, Ikeja.
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by rman: 9:05pm On Sep 30, 2013
Can we all se the thought process of a typical Nigerian graduate?

Is this not the same thought process members of National Association Of Unemployed Graduates (NAUG) have?

If I am an employer of labour, will I be willing to employ a graduAte that thinks like the OP?

If employers of labour claim majority of our grdauates are unemployable they will all claim recruitments processes are biased.

In the OP lametation post, he listed at list two distinct areas ( mechanics and building ), where gradutes can come in and improve service delivery and quality of work done. Unfortunately, the average Nigerian graduate can not think, the opportunities are there but they are all looking for office jobs. If this is how our university graduates think, it is safe to assume university education in Nigeria has failed. The system still throws up a few good ones like the '' FARMTECAHER '' on this thread.

The '' FARMTEACHER'' is a very good example of a graduate, and I can bet if she decides to work for someone, it is just matter of time before a firm scoops her up.

1 Like

Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by eblazer(m): 9:42pm On Sep 30, 2013
validplanet: it really makes no sense to go to the university considering the fact that those that didnt go to university get more job opportunities than the graduates. there is virtually no work in the society today that cant be done by illiterates who just acquired their skills outside the 4 walls of the university, so whats the point?

take for instance, opposite my house here, some1 just completed a 2 storey building. and i didnt find any single graduate among the workers. the guy just went to lagos and brought some builders who came and built his house from foundation to roofing. all were illiterates who learnt how to build houses outside d university. d question is; why should some1 spend 5 yrs studying civil engineering in nigeria?

go to the mechanic village; all the auto mechanics there are illiterates. and some1 will spend more than =N=500,000. studying mechanical engineering for 5 yrs.

d music industry? i dont know their profiles but i can bet they didnt study music in the university.

fashion design? all illiterates.

i can go on and on.

i pity our unemployed graduates who spent their fortune and time acquiring university education only to come out to find there are no jobs for them.

l...let's get it clear people university education is just a vehicle to a destination n not vice versa .been a graduates doesn't grantee an individual to direct fortune in life but with much work n digging down out talent you might be on your way,we must understand many graduate today feels their years of study should be compensated with big jobs n if it doesn't come they can humble to learn a skill .....think computers n robots are taking the jobs imagine ATMS, n see what times are ...#GOD BLESS U HUSTLE
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by Khodry(m): 10:05pm On Sep 30, 2013
@peppy luv; u'll really do very well in writing o, why nt venture into it, bet me u will definitely do very well than even d teaching n farming u said u do 4 leisure...........lol! As 4 ur co corper u talked abt can u really shift d whole blame on her? As u rightly mention or some1 on dis thread, majority of wat makes one literate is gotten 4rm pry n sec sch so dat phase of education is very important.Hw many of our so call graduates are privilege to attend a good private pry n sec sch where dey will be exposed to art of good speaking or even while growing up dier parent took english as 2nd means of communicatn, majority went 2 community sch where dey communicate with dier local lang or Nigeria english'pigin'.And mind u is wat u do often dat bcomes part of u,even our local lang were nt learnt anywhere is via comunicatn with parent while growing up.Finally was d aim of going 2 tertiary institution 4 4yr or above 2 speak correctly? Pls don't misunderstand me am nt saying one shd nt learn hw 2 speak good english because in d buz n social world is highly needed but d priority shd be on wat u went 2 tertiary instn 2 learn.Dat is why country lyk china keeps developing because emphasis is on skills nt anoda man's language........imagine our level of development,if most of dis foriegn books we're reading was written in our local language n tinx we see every day was used 4 illustrations............Nt 2 nail u o,kudos ur write up was very educat8-)8-);>
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by hoodboy(m): 10:11pm On Sep 30, 2013
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by hoodboy(m): 10:12pm On Sep 30, 2013
Bandit C.:

For a teacher, your vocabs still need upgrading if you do not know that the comparative for dumb is "dumber" and not "more dumb".

Be sure you are flawless before taking cheap shots at your fellow "half baked graduates".

you're wrong saying she got it wrong. Whereas the comparative suffix "-er" & "-est" have limited application, more and most are limitless in application. So it is mostly advised to use the latter when you are not if -er & -est would be applicable

1 Like

Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by delpee(f): 10:15pm On Sep 30, 2013
Graduates who want to avoid being unemployed or labelled as unemployable should learn new skills. The degree is just a basic certificate on which you can build and excel in your chosen field.

Wise ones are going to vocational schools for training or going into apprenticeship. Occasionally, some companies recruit from the recognized ones. Look out for adverts on training programs especially in the oil sector. The problem is that most graduates will see such as being for artisans alone. Fact is, sometimes employers appreciate the acquisition of new skills apart from the certificate which thousands equally possess.

Also note that most laid off bankers find it difficult to get new jobs at good entry levels. Reason? Most do monotonous jobs which live little room for varied experience and they never have the time to learn new skills. Every employer wants someone who can make his job easier.

Be unique/a professional, have something distinct to offer to make your job search easier or strive to start something on your own like the Teacher/Farmer. Beautiful combination!
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by Gnexplore: 11:46pm On Sep 30, 2013
moscobabs:
End of Discussion...'a word is enough for the wise'Thanks to Farmerteacher!!!

Do we need to be reminded that??
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by Gnexplore: 11:51pm On Sep 30, 2013
peppy luv: And what is ur definition of an illiterate?
Literacy is all about knowing how to read and write and this is acquired at the foundation level ie pre-primary and primary and 90% of this people u call illiterates went to high school so does the fact that they didn't get into the tertiary institution make them illiterates?
You and I know that 89% percent of Nigerian graduates are not better than the people u call illiterates. They just go to school to answer graduate but they are dumber than the school cleaners. If you hear most of them speak u wil bow your head in shame. Some of my co corp members especially a grl called oduayo, are worse than the villagers we teach,they use "him" for both male and female, the use of present and past tense is even worse. Imagine sec schl kids calling a corp member "village girl" even to her face!
Besides in camp we are advised and taught to acquire skills but you see many corp members feeling too big to do so but go to togo,even the bricklayers are graduates!
So,nobody is cheating anybody. There is no job specially made for graduates and non graduates what Nigerian youths don't understand is the dignity in labour! Be proud of whateva puts food on ur table,learn a skill,carpentry,tailoring or u call it design,you can go into farming etc
Most of the roadside mechanics are better than our graduate Engineers.

As for me I am a proud teacher and farmer. my frnds thought I was jokin when as a child I said I wanted to teach and farm but today they see it differently cuz of what have been hapnin in my life so far and they are proud of me cuz I am a teacher with a difference smiley
You also knw the story of Bill gates so no need for long story.
Bro rather than waiting for govt,pls do something for urself and if u feel the artists are making too much money then join them or stop patronising them.
My take!

Very wonderful life philosophy you have .... God be with you!!!
Find this and read The 48 Laws of Power
Book by Robert Greene the knowledge will help you navigate trenches of your life ambition...

1 Like

Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by vladimiros: 1:32am On Oct 01, 2013
MUMU OP

GO AND LEARN A SKILL
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by derock533: 6:31am On Oct 01, 2013
Wizee: Which building built by J-Berger, CCECC, etc; have u heard or seen collapse? Go to Lagos island and some other places that have skyscapers, u'll see building that has stayed for 30yrs and still standing strong.
And most of the oyinbo contractors working with JB CCECC and odas r Nigerian graduates abi...abegi park well jor.If you like keep dreaming while sitting on your catifucate tinkin dat u wil be called up by NNPC somday for a job,dnt go and learn how to do somtin wit doz hands God gave u.Atleast learn hw to make garri in a commercial quantity or beta stil drive keke hiya purchaZ.Naija waits for no wan...my pastor said,u r ashamed of bin seen sellin pure water on the street cos u dnt knw wat pple wil say.But do u knw wat de r sayin nw dat u r jobless and buyin tins on credit frm mama biola and iyia bello.
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by validplanet: 6:48am On Oct 01, 2013
vladimiros: MUMU OP

GO AND LEARN A SKILL

THINK WITH UR BRAIN.
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by skymaxnig: 7:10am On Oct 01, 2013
Chrisbenogor:
Mechanical Engineering is not about fixing cars dumba$$ angry angry angry
Hmmmm.....what is the automobile option about then? i can tell you from experience, if you cant fix a machine its also implies that you cant design it.
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by kishimi8(m): 7:40am On Oct 01, 2013
Fixing cars is not an ME's job.. Though an ME is expected to know what makes it tick and is also expectec to come up with improvements and solutions to design problems ...,
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by geeworld1(m): 8:23am On Oct 01, 2013
validplanet: it really makes no sense to go to the university considering the fact that those that didnt go to university get more job opportunities than the graduates. there is virtually no work in the society today that cant be done by illiterates who just acquired their skills outside the 4 walls of the university, so whats the point?

take for instance, opposite my house here, some1 just completed a 2 storey building. and i didnt find any single graduate among the workers. the guy just went to lagos and brought some builders who came and built his house from foundation to roofing. all were illiterates who learnt how to build houses outside d university. d question is; why should some1 spend 5 yrs studying civil engineering in nigeria?

go to the mechanic village; all the auto mechanics there are illiterates. and some1 will spend more than =N=500,000. studying mechanical engineering for 5 yrs.

d music industry? i dont know their profiles but i can bet they didnt study music in the university.

fashion design? all illiterates.

i can go on and on.

i pity our unemployed graduates who spent their fortune and time acquiring university education only to come out to find there are no jobs for them.

Guy wait so 4 doctors n nurses too they shud nt bother goin T̶̲̥̅Ơ̴͡ the uni ryt, mayb wen U̶̲̥̅̊ go T̶̲̥̅Ơ̴͡ a hospital n see a quack doctor with shovel 4 operation U̶̲̥̅̊ will βѮ satisfied....... Look the main tin, go T̶̲̥̅Ơ̴͡ skul, acquire knowledge n βѮ good @ ur field n a good connection will do the rest

2 Likes

Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by phapi(m): 8:35am On Oct 01, 2013
Wen opportunity meet readines it call sucess u being a uni graduate add more spice 2 ur life,uni education z worth getin let jst put aside d tedious task of getin a job after graduation,dy say gud tins cum 2 those who wait....av never seen a graduate died witout job opporunity !!!
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by slowshot: 10:33am On Oct 01, 2013
Truth b told ,if after graduating u dont practice what u had being taught in skool the knowledge u have will go to thin air gradually...
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by ketoprofen(m): 2:00pm On Oct 01, 2013
specco:

You may not meet the algebra and many other mathematical formulae in real life but learning and comprehending it has a way of strengthening your thought processes which you'll apply in real life situations to get results.

no even talk abt mathematics because na dat one worse pass
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by iebanehita(m): 2:25pm On Oct 01, 2013
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by Mendo007(m): 4:15pm On Oct 01, 2013
validplanet: and by the way, school is full of craps that dont apply to real life. up till now, i've never seen an atom and i dont know how that information will help me to make money today.
i feel your pain brother
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:36pm On Oct 01, 2013
Thanx and you do have a point in the aspect of being priviledged to attend a good private school. Its all because of the quality of teachers and that's one of the reasons I am interested in primary education and teaching in college of Education because that's where teachers are trained.....
I am not laying all my emphasis on being fluent in English as a criteria for being a "quality graduate",I was trying to tell the op that most graduates are not better than those people he called illiterates and besides being fluent, many of them don't even know what they are doing or what they really want,they just want to be called graduates. You will be disappointed when you see some corp members or teaching practice students teaching. Sometime in army day second sch nasarawa, a corp member was reported by the students and during an interview,she cudnt define Economics or remember her project topic and she is a graduate of Economics!...
So many times graduates have been disgraced or embarrassed in their PPAs or where they went for interview and they stil call a mechanic or a tailor who can express himself and uses his skills to put food on his table an illiterate! Who is fooling who?

Khodry: @peppy luv; u'll really do very well in writing o, why nt venture into it, bet me u will definitely do very well than even d teaching n farming u said u do 4 leisure...........lol! As 4 ur co corper u talked abt can u really shift d whole blame on her? As u rightly mention or some1 on dis thread, majority of wat makes one literate is gotten 4rm pry n sec sch so dat phase of education is very important.Hw many of our so call graduates are privilege to attend a good private pry n sec sch where dey will be exposed to art of good speaking or even while growing up dier parent took english as 2nd means of communicatn, majority went 2 community sch where dey communicate with dier local lang or Nigeria english'pigin'.And mind u is wat u do often dat bcomes part of u,even our local lang were nt learnt anywhere is via comunicatn with parent while growing up.Finally was d aim of going 2 tertiary institution 4 4yr or above 2 speak correctly? Pls don't misunderstand me am nt saying one shd nt learn hw 2 speak good english because in d buz n social world is highly needed but d priority shd be on wat u went 2 tertiary instn 2 learn.Dat is why country lyk china keeps developing because emphasis is on skills nt anoda man's language........imagine our level of development,if most of dis foriegn books we're reading was written in our local language n tinx we see every day was used 4 illustrations............Nt 2 nail u o,kudos ur write up was very educat8-)8-);>

Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:01pm On Oct 01, 2013
Thanx for watching my back bro smiley
hoodboy:

you're wrong saying she got it wrong. Whereas the comparative suffix "-er" & "-est" have limited application, more and most are limitless in application. So it is mostly advised to use the latter when you are not if -er & -est would be applicable
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by kishimi8(m): 9:35am On Oct 02, 2013
This is an addition to my initial post to those wondering what's the use of all da calculus they were taught while in school ,,,,,. Thas just serves as a way to build your analytical skills ,, and if you don't feel iit's impact in your thinking process ,, then bro you in da wrong line ,, switch to something that involves less thinking and more of doing,,, ,, kapish,,,

Education is very important , very ,
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:37pm On Oct 02, 2013
Thanks a lot smiley. I have read the book
Gnexplore:

Very wonderful life philosophy you have .... God be with you!!!
Find this and read The 48 Laws of Power
Book by Robert Greene the knowledge will help you navigate trenches of your life ambition...
Re: Unemployment- Non-graduates Are Cheating Graduates In Nigeria by Thazard(m): 1:37am On Feb 19
validplanet:
and by the way, school is full of craps that dont apply to real life. up till now, i've never seen an atom and i dont know how that information will help me to make money today.
grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

8 Things You Can Do To Get A Job Despite Graduating With A 2.2 / Graduate Internship Programme At Procter & Gamble Co. (P&G) / Police Recruitment: ‘candidates Don’t Know Names Of Nigeria President, CJN’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.