Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,195 members, 7,829,279 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:51 PM

Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? (14880 Views)

Ogun Pastor Prays Recharge Card Into His Church Members Phone / Pastor Oritsejafor Drags Fashola To Court Over Planned Demolition Of Church / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Originalsly: 3:20pm On Oct 05, 2013
Appliedmaths.:

My friend grin when you're spiritually carried you'll know when some strange powers are operating. When you ask some people what religion they belong to they'll quickly tell you they're christians my brother don't be deceived cuz even the devil goes to church. In summary, I'm not judging I'm just laying out the exceptions to this matter. If I know a man to be a thief (politheifcians grin) and he comes to my church to pay tithe and offering chia! His money isn't welcomed. It's just that the bad eggs (fake pastors all in the name of money) has stained the true body of christ. As we have real products my brother we also have fake. And yes I'm the thug of Jesus christ who's on duty...grin
Hmmm....spiritually carried....which spirit be that?...are you sure? I guess I am of carnal mind...and wouldn't be able to understand. I must say that this your response is much more civilized than your first ehmmm....outburst! I guess the devil caught you off guard!
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Lakayanah: 3:21pm On Oct 05, 2013
IYA NGBALI: In our own church no matter the person,s status all members would come to the family house to pray and sing,it is the duty of the family to feed us morning,afternoon and evening until they bury their lost one. We don't give the family anything except prayers and church songs
Na wa for una church o.

1 Like

Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by damoskiy(m): 3:25pm On Oct 05, 2013
I attend a methodist church...the burial starts from the day the person dies.there is full and total participation of church members...
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Acidosis(m): 3:25pm On Oct 05, 2013
pheesayor: My church CHRIST APOSTOLIC CHURCH (CAC) The mother of all Pentecostal churches grin announces deaths of members and even families of members, church buses are even used to convey church members to burial sites and at times the reception even holds in the church.

lmaooo...

I forgot to include CAC in my previous list..

Bro, except you want to decieve many, you'll know the real CAC died same day Joseph Ayo Babalola died..

Except for few branches that still abide by the standard of the true gospel..

I attended a wedding in a CAC branch recently, and one Pastor raised several prayer points grin
One is:

If you know; you want God to preserve you for your children's children, bring out a good offering and drop in the basket..

So many funny prayer points with prices attached (offering)
Lol, you know this people have a way of capturing the minds of people in an atmosphere of joy (wedding)...

A man told me recently, that the Pastor of a CAC branch, dropped a CASKET at the altar, and then raised a prayer point:

You already know the kind of prayer grin grin grin grin

Saying to the congregation:
The only man that will enter this casket soon is one that refuses to bring money to the altar...

grin grin grin

Why una dey make Jesus weep? sad sad
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Lakayanah: 3:27pm On Oct 05, 2013
Jarus: Thank God for Islam. Half of the sermons are about death. Most mosques even have stretcher (abi wetin be the name) that they use to carry dead members. The imams are one of the first people that arrange the washing of the dead, praying over the dead, and burying.

Frankly, this is one of the reasons I like islam. It readily acknowledges that the fact that no matter how devoted we are to God, there will be tribulations in terms of loss of things we covet (wealth, job, loved ones etc) and ultimately death. It just doesn't make sense to me that somebody will now preach only prosperity to me, that 'the low sides of life can never be his portion'. Fact of life is, there will be such things and Islam teaches how to handle such tribulations. Prosperity teaching snd shying away from it just doesn't make sense to me. I just pity people that fall for this deceit.
Half of your sermons are about death no wonder..........
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Acidosis(m): 3:32pm On Oct 05, 2013
Billyonaire: Churches in other places apart from Lagos might still hold the brotherhood love and care.

But in Lagos; churches are business centers. Even the pastor is more afraid of sickness and death than members.

The fact remains that most churches in Lagos are just "mere" gathering of original christians who congregate to "maintain" family belief.

They can only be there to bury you if you were a dignitary and a money man. To pastors it is even a sin to be poor which ia why poor people pretend that all is well to still enjoy good friendship of brethren in church, if any brethren dare discover that you are living in kpako, you are finished.

grin
grin grin
grin grin grin
grin grin grin cheesy
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by zebra(m): 3:32pm On Oct 05, 2013
dejijohns:
ECWA is nw Evangelical Church For Winning All
Evangelical Church Winning All.
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by RealAlfranco: 3:43pm On Oct 05, 2013
Actually in my church ECWA... Dey announce da death of members,dey ask 4 support for da family of da deceased(prayers as well...). Or even a sick member! Da best is dat da member doesn't even tell da church,because da church has appointed heads in different communities who actually take da news 2 da church as it is (its a big church,so we can afford it)... All I'm saying is MY church takes its members seriously...infact,da members news comes 1st b4 anyoda thing!!! And my church is EVANGELICAL CHURCH WINNING ALL-it is predominantly seen in northern parts of da country tho!!!
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by pheesayor(m): 3:55pm On Oct 05, 2013
Bros dat one no be genuine CAC o, bringing money is not by force, at least not in my own CAC. You many have broken away and now on their own, maybe it is one of those one. CAC festac is one that upholds the true teaching of the old CAC.
Acidosis:

lmaooo...

I forgot to include CAC in my previous list..

Bro, except you want to decieve many, you'll know the real CAC died same day Joseph Ayo Babalola died..

Except for few branches that still abide by the standard of the true gospel..

I attended a wedding in a CAC branch recently, and one Pastor raised several prayer points grin
One is:

If you know; you want God to preserve you for your children's children, bring out a good offering and drop in the basket..

So many funny prayer points with prices attached (offering)
Lol, you know this people have a way of capturing the minds of people in an atmosphere of joy (wedding)...

A man told me recently, that the Pastor of a CAC branch, dropped a CASKET at the altar, and then raised a prayer point:

You already know the kind of prayer grin grin grin grin

Saying to the congregation:
The only man that will enter this casket soon is one that refuses to bring money to the altar...

grin grin grin

Why una dey make Jesus weep? sad sad
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Appliedmaths(m): 3:56pm On Oct 05, 2013
Lakayanah: I am yet to see a Pentecostal church that has publicly/privately refused the visitation of politicians. They talk evil of them behind them but when they come visiting they are given seat at the alter.

This is the concept, you can't chase them away you'll welcome them but bros calm down grin we don't give them seats in the altar them no be pastors nah?. But also when you welcome them have it in mind that they would want to make huge donations, this is where most pastors lose it; a spirit filled man of God would wave the topic away or try to let the politician see reasons with him but the corny minute would accept the doe sharply. Truth is, the real men of God are few and this is where the devil creeps in to start causing havoc in the body of christ. Let God judge, but we can only complain grin
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by IYANGBALI: 3:58pm On Oct 05, 2013
Lakayanah: Na wa for una church o.
same to you
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Appliedmaths(m): 4:04pm On Oct 05, 2013
Originalsly: Hmmm....spiritually carried....which spirit be that?...are you sure? I guess I am of carnal mind...and wouldn't be able to understand. I must say that this your response is much more civilized than your first ehmmm....outburst! I guess the devil caught you off guard!

When you speak in the language of a mathematician only the mathematicians understand.

When you speak in the language of an engineer the next engineer would understand.

So likewise my brother...
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Nobody: 4:30pm On Oct 05, 2013
Sojunu
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Mekky2010: 4:33pm On Oct 05, 2013
When my mum left this world in 2009, it was almost as if the family was invited guest to the burial, Methodist Church took charge completely, in fact the leader of the women fellowship told me that the corpse belongs to them, members of the women fellowship waited and received the ambulance miles away from our house. I was so touched watching these women run after the ambulance singing "onye nso alawo elu igwe iga zuru ike".."the saint has gone to heaven to rest". It really looked like what it was, a transition to eternal rest!

I rededicated myself to Methodism and Methodist family after that!

1 Like

Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Enoquin(f): 4:45pm On Oct 05, 2013
Everything is announced in my church during service especially before and after the sermon. Births,sicknesses,deaths,accidents,weddings,how many children attended sunday school etc.

Burials are well attended except it's a sister church in a far place like another state.

I know othordox and some pentecoastal church members attend the burials of their members
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by 2special(m): 4:53pm On Oct 05, 2013
@ O.p,why not confirm b4 making such a silly post....l guest where u are going,it seem u are a potentiat islamic terrorists....
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Mekky2010: 4:53pm On Oct 05, 2013
[quote author=Acidosis]One thing I've noticed is, some particular churches are always eager to bury the dead.. Infact, they fight to make sure they get the slot of burial..

1. ******** ******
2. ECWA (Evangelical Church of West Africa)
3. Anglican church
4. Baptist Church
5. Methodist

My Grand mom before she gave her life to Christ was a Methodist fanatic..
According to her, her Reverend in Church always tell them (old women) not to miss church services so the Church can organise a good burial for them, and by so doing, all the aged women can meet their husbands in "heaven" (some of whom died as a drunkard) grin

Some of these churches are occupied by old and aged men and women.. ECWA is a typical example..

In such cases, they have no choice but to continually bury the dead...

@Op, and who told you these Churches do not make money during burial?
Lol.. why do you think they're always interested in buring and buring?

I'm a man that loves to speak the truth, don't blame me grin

If I begin to tell you the money these Reverends make buring the dead, you'll be surprised.. Infact, they make more money than wedding events grin

I've met so many of them, I know their ways o... grin

You think they really care about the soul of the departed..
Oh you think, the "Egbe Obinrin" and "Women of Honour" that wear the same attire really care about the departed? lol

Abeg I nor fit laugh jare...

Thats not to praise or edify those pentecostal Churches who ignore that aspect.. It doesn't speak well of a Bible believing Church especially those that claim to have heaven and earth in their wallet.. Typical Pente-rascals, swaggerlistic-jerry curl tinted deceiving candidates of Hell..

In conclusion jare, burial ceremony shouldn't be a thing of joy except you're sure about the life of the dead..

Some of those you're celebrating here on earth are roasting in the lake of fire...
If only we could see them; those multi-coloured attires would change to rag in anguish and loud cry for mercy..

and did I also tell you that some Churches are pre-dominated by youths and men who do not see death forthcoming...
abi you want make them bury one another alive?[
/quote]

I'm a Methodist, when my mum left this world we gave money to no Reverend, like I said in my previous post, the church and especially members of the Women Fellowship were tremendously supportive.

when you talk of churches being dominated by the young, are u trying t say that death is now age based? The young dont die in your village abi?
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by dabrake(m): 4:57pm On Oct 05, 2013
Sometime ago when my dad was still a young dude, trying to make ends meet, he contributed, which I do not deem it necessary to outline, massively to his host church(Qua Iboe church). Then he was still in the village. Things got better for him, I did a hell lot for the church then before Laving for The city. We grew and by default, attended the branch church in the city. There, his work for God seized not.
Fast forward to 6 years and 8 months ago, I lost my dad and we expected some help from the church but the role played by the church(the one in the city and the village one) in the entire episodes made us leave the church for good. My mum who was in the women fellowship 1 and when they wanted to contribute money towards the helping the burial of one of their own, they contributed a mere =N=2000. When my mum told me about it, I told her to return the money immediately. The village church own got me angrier. they did many things that I didn't expect but the one that annoyed me the most was when they told us to pay =N=20,000 if we want them to officiate the burial and I was like WTF? I immediately told them to rot in hell and that we will rent a 'freelance' pastor who will officiate it. They later called us and told us they are ready to negotiate. They wanted pounded yam, palm wine, a crate of beer, 2 fowls, . . . (poor men stupidity. Na marriage). . . While the burial went on, only the Pastor of the city church and less than 6 other members showed up. In fact, let me stop. i dey vex.

1 Like

Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by OCcool: 5:31pm On Oct 05, 2013
K.K Imoh:

so correct, i can bet my last card on catholic church and Assemblies of God, this two rili takes a member funeral like their own, weda rich or poor.
my brother, u re so on point. The bolded happens to be my church and I can categorically tell u that A.G.C care for their members, whether living or dead. In the event of a member's demise, the church is informed. Infact the various departments (men, women and youth) have specific levies they contribute towards a deceased member's funeral.
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by alexleo(m): 5:35pm On Oct 05, 2013
My church announces burial during church services. They first announce the death of the person and tell us to go and comfort the family. when the burial date is fixed they ll also announce it. After the sunday service they ll hold a meeting of all born again members. In the meeting they ll encourage the members to contribute money to support the family of the deceased in the burial. On the burial day the church takes charge of the service and members attend in good number. If the family of the deceased is very poor, then the church will bear the financing of the burial fully. But if they are not poor the church may choose to buy the casket or take care of the feeding or the mortuary bill or printing of the poster and program booklet depending on their discussion with the family. No matter how rich you are, the church will do one thing for you. Of course my church will always tell you about persections and trials that we must pass through as christians. You have no choice than to face the bitter truth of our christian race.

1 Like

Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Oct 05, 2013
OC cool: my brother, u re so on point. The bolded happens to be my church and I can categorically tell u that A.G.C care for their members, whether living or dead. In the event of a member's demise, the church is informed. Infact the various departments (men, women and youth) have specific levies they contribute towards a deceased member's funeral.

You are right. In my own branch, when a member dies, there is a specific amount of money that is given to the family and two members would be sponsored by the church to follow the member to the village. Others can go on their own. If it is the father or mother of a member, a certain amount is also given. If it is the brother or sister of a member, a certain amount is given. Assemblies of God cares for their members.
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by juman(m): 6:13pm On Oct 05, 2013
Man is born in a day and will certainly die one day.

The purpose of religion is to always remind man of the last day on earth and facing their creator one day.

Failed policy of IBB brought about many nigerians ran to the "religious" leaders.

1 Like

Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Nwokenna: 6:33pm On Oct 05, 2013
KwoiZabo: The great thing about social media is the it exposes fraud wherever they may exist whether in politics, religion or what have you and this thread is one of them. I've heard that some churches don't announce death but I never knew it's this widespread anyway God is watching.
I don't intend to derail this thread but I want to say this for all those who feels tithes still apply to Christians to read the book of Hebrews 7 carefully. verse 5 says that the children of Israel are required to pay tithes according to the law but vs 18 & 19 clearly states without ambiguity that the former regulation is SET ASIDE and a better hope is introduced. God bless us all

Your analogy is so out of context. If you are struggling with tithe please read the book of malachi chapter 3 and I guess ur also a bible student juxtapose Mal3 with what Jesus said about tithing in the New testament. Back to your Hebrwe text can you look @ d whole context of the text its layout and purpose and see the major analogy was btw the Levitical priesthood and the Priesthood Jesus Christ came to establish.
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Oct 05, 2013
K.K Imoh:

why? Pls tel me why? But if sm1 wins 20million, it wil b announced bah? The bible is standard "rejoice wit doz who rejoice & mourn wit doz who mourn''

Unless the person who won wants to testify, the church will not announce it. Who said we don't mourn with them? Is announcing it the only way to mourn? The pastor will announce it in d workers meeting and the unit the person belonged to... I wonder how goes against bible standard.
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by salt1: 7:27pm On Oct 05, 2013
alexleo: My church announces burial during church services. They first announce the death of the person and tell us to go and comfort the family. when the burial date is fixed they ll also announce it. After the sunday service they ll hold a meeting of all born again members. In the meeting they ll encourage the members to contribute money to support the family of the deceased in the burial. On the burial day the church takes charge of the service and members attend in good number. If the family of the deceased is very poor, then the church will bear the financing of the burial fully. But if they are not poor the church may choose to buy the casket or take care of the feeding or the mortuary bill or printing of the poster and program booklet depending on their discussion with the family. No matter how rich you are, the church will do one thing for you. Of course my church will always tell you about persections and trials that we must pass through as christians. You have no choice than to face the bitter truth of our christian race.
I know you are talking about The Apostolic Faith Church, the only church that doesn't pass collection plate and doesn't publicly solicit for donations.
There is no register of members.
The church can also organise funeral service for non-members for free. That is if the family of the deceased ask for it
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by olly4life: 7:55pm On Oct 05, 2013
I attend an Orthodox church- Cherubim & Seraphim to be precise. We take d issue of death of member with utmost importance and sacred. We do not only organize d funeral, we also fully participate with contributions. Turn out of members during wake-keep as well as interment are always encouraging. This also applies to other ceremonies. Ayo Ni O

1 Like

Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Androgendaisy: 8:15pm On Oct 05, 2013
Thanks op for this thread. i noticed this anomaly as far back as 1998 a neighbour in one of such churches (which in that year had "prophesied that none of its members shall die) suddenly lost a member...come see denial of reality culuminating a near rejection of the dead and family.
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Slowvenom(m): 8:18pm On Oct 05, 2013
Am a redeemer, we tk a gud pat in burial n cotrbut to d family of d deases cos we will all one day go dat same way. If u dnt lyk Religeon dnt wok agains it cos anytin u r agains is agains u.
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Keffebabe(f): 8:24pm On Oct 05, 2013
I never xperience such in warriors of christ since am am attending there.i thank God for dat....
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Image123(m): 10:14pm On Oct 05, 2013
Oh, its my church is better than other churches day.
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by SmashingM(f): 10:34pm On Oct 05, 2013
Slow venom: Am a redeemer, we tk a gud pat in burial n cotrbut to d family of d deases cos we will all one day go dat same way. If u dnt lyk Religeon dnt wok agains it cos anytin u r agains is agains u.

Why should u call yourself "a redeemer". Are u Jesus Christ? I wonder what type of teachings you are receiving.

@topic. I am Catholic and we don't joke with our members, dead or alive, poor or rich.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Release Of Semen While Sleeping, Does It Signifies You Have A Spiritual Wife. / Mbaka Tells Fellow Priests To Stop Condemning Him For Praying For Nnamdi Kanu / Jesus Is The Only Way: My Personal Experiences

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.