Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,014 members, 7,828,573 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:31 AM

Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? (14878 Views)

Ogun Pastor Prays Recharge Card Into His Church Members Phone / Pastor Oritsejafor Drags Fashola To Court Over Planned Demolition Of Church / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by hoodboy(m): 1:59pm On Oct 05, 2013
My church is not like that, ECWA Ayilara. its a family church and the church stands behind its own in trying times. I vividly remember my grandfather's burial back in 1995, a large contingent came all the way from Ayilara to our little village in Mbano, Imo state, stayed in our modest accommodation and we all worshiped as a family, same happened during the burial of both of my mom's parents.
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by emaoke7: 2:01pm On Oct 05, 2013
Let the dead bury their dead.
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Oct 05, 2013
mazaje: So others have noticed this happening as well, I REALLY wanted to bring up this issue sometime ago when a friend's elder brother died and his death got no mention in the Christ embassy church he attended, but i thought people will accuse me of being crazy and telling lies. . I was like what the hell when the late guys brother told me how his church acted after he died, his young wife was left all alone by the church. He was an active member. . .I know the traditional churches don't do this, they provide support and even contribute to the burial process in many cases. . .But these new generation churches na wah sha. . .

I GOT THIS CAT IN CHRIST EMBASSY TOO
WHENEVER HE IS BROKE HE FINDS IT EASIER TO
ASK ME ( A NON CHURCH GOER) 4 MONEY THAN
HIS MEMBERS. AND THE DEMENTED PAROT KEEPS
TALKIG ABOUT HOW CEC IS THE HOME OF LOVE.
LOVE WHERE U ONLY CARE ABT WHAT UR MEMBERS BRING
NEVER ABT THEIR WELFARE

1 Like

Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Oct 05, 2013
Churches in other places apart from Lagos might still hold the brotherhood love and care.

But in Lagos; churches are business centers. Even the pastor is more afraid of sickness and death than members.

The fact remains that most churches in Lagos are just "mere" gathering of original christians who congregate to "maintain" family belief.

They can only be there to bury you if you were a dignitary and a money man. To pastors it is even a sin to be poor which ia why poor people pretend that all is well to still enjoy good friendship of brethren in church, if any brethren dare discover that you are living in kpako, you are finished.

5 Likes

Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Lakayanah: 2:06pm On Oct 05, 2013
That is one thing I do not understand about Pentecostal churches. They read only the part of the bible that is profitable to them. My bible tells me there's a time to be born and a time to die yet the dead is not honored in the Pentecostal circle it is not even announced in church. If we can announce birth why not death is it a shameful thing? But they don't mind Jesus dying for us.
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by KKImoh: 2:13pm On Oct 05, 2013
plaetton:

wink
Yes Italo.
I agree with you 100%.
The catholic church is unrivaled when it comes to taking care of her children.

so correct, i can bet my last card on catholic church and Assemblies of God, this two rili takes a member funeral like their own, weda rich or poor.

1 Like

Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by mazaje(m): 2:16pm On Oct 05, 2013
Billyonaire: Churches in other places apart from Lagos might still hold the brotherhood love and care.

But in Lagos; churches are business centers. Even the pastor is more afraid of sickness and death than members.

The fact remains that most churches in Lagos are just "mere" gathering of original christians who congregate to "maintain" family belief.

They can only be there to bury you if you were a dignitary and a money man. To pastors it is even a sin to be poor which ia why poor people pretend that all is well to still enjoy good friendship of brethren in church, if any brethren dare discover that you are living in not going kpako, you are finished.

Many new generation churches now indoctrinate their members into believing that it is a sin to lack, they make their members believe that if things are not going well then they must be sinful or under some kind of course, you see them lying to themselves and declaring prosperity, people that don't even have jobs and food to eat. . .I don see different kinds of delusion for this naija sha. . .One of my employees gives almost all his money to the church, I just dey laugh. . .
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Juell(m): 2:18pm On Oct 05, 2013
My dad died as a member of ECWA (evangelical church of west Africa). As a registered member, the church bought the coffin and the senior pastor, some elders and many church members followed us to our village for the burial (from Jos to kogi state). He died on Sunday morning, and it was announced immediately after morning service. Frm service almost all the members trooped to our house including the senior pastor and his assistant. That's true love

2 Likes

Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Appliedmaths(m): 2:19pm On Oct 05, 2013
@OP, how would you feel when someone tells you your mother didn't give birth to you and she's just an imposter eh' how would you feel?.

Don't just wake up and write nonsense ok, in RCCG ( redeemed christian church of GOD) we conduct everything starting from the service of songs down to the final laying to rest. We have special pastors for that purpose. Recently we just laid to rest one of our beloved mama ( the thing pain me oooo!). Any RCCG pastor/parish that refuses to pay homage is completely doing his own thing and not acting according to the church's standard. But let's ask ourselves this, before death;

Was the deceased an active member?.
(This is just by the way, the next point would buttress this one)

Do the family of the deceased really want the church to head the event or they have their own way. (Mind you when their ways are diabolic the church wouldn't be a part of that).

Not everybody that goes to church is of God, so when a witch who attends church dies as a result of his/her own actions, the church would step only if they're invited.

So they are exceptions to every matter, don't just open your mouths to say nonsense.

@OP, hope you understand me sha!

2 Likes

Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Ichliebedich(f): 2:20pm On Oct 05, 2013
The catholic church participates fully in the burial of a parishoner or relative with condolence visit, celebration of requiem mass and even monetary assistance by the zones and prayer units the person was a member of as was done during the burial of my grandfather

1 Like

Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Lakayanah: 2:24pm On Oct 05, 2013
The Pentecostal church I used to attend the father of the general overseer died and the casket was made 2days before the burial the man refused to accept it like it was a taboo his aunt die on the day she was to be buried he traveled out of the country. I just hope these Pentecostal ogas are not into something dirty. May God save us his children
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Oct 05, 2013
My church take's over the burial entirely so far he is a christian.
We rejoice with those that rejoice and mourn with those that mourn
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by anibi9674: 2:29pm On Oct 05, 2013
It iz better 2 b in a place of sorrow dan 2 b in a place of merriment. A tym 2 born nd a tym 2 die says d wisest man

1 Like

Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by socrateez(m): 2:31pm On Oct 05, 2013
I am a member of Foursquare Gospel Church and I can tell we participate fully in the burial of our members. My branch lost a member earlier in the year and 75% of the members were attended the burial ceremony outside Lagos. In fact, members sponsored themselves to the venue. Your point is true that some churches don't acknowledge the brevity of life and the fact of death. A friend left his former church because the pastor said the members don't attend burials. it just shows how gullible Nigerians have become, living a life of delusion and fantasy.

1 Like

Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Originalsly: 2:34pm On Oct 05, 2013
Appliedmaths.:
@OP, how would you feel when someone tells you your mother didn't give birth to you and she's just an imposter eh' how would you feel?.

Don't just wake up and write nonsense ok, in RCCG ( redeemed christian church of GOD) we conduct everything starting from the service of songs down to the final laying to rest. We have special pastors for that purpose. Recently we just laid to rest one of our beloved mama ( the thing pain me oooo!). Any RCCG pastor/parish that refuses to pay homage is completely doing his own thing and not acting according to the church's standard. But let's ask ourselves this, before death;

Was the deceased an active member?.
(This is just by the way, the next point would buttress this one)

Do the family of the deceased really want the church to head the event or they have their own way. (Mind you when their ways are diabolic the church wouldn't be a part of that).

Not everybody that goes to church is of God, so when a witch who attends church dies as a result of his/her own actions, the church would step only if they're invited.

So they are exceptions to every matter, don't just open your mouths to say nonsense.

@OP, hope you understand me sha!
Whoaa!...Before You strangle the OP...I find this your response interesting. Abeg...wipe the froth from your mouth and tell me how you know the wicked ones and witches....and ehmmm....do you reject their offerings? I'm just asking for clarification...please don't offer deliverance.BTW...are you the only thug...sorry....are you the only member on duty?

3 Likes

Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Nobody: 2:37pm On Oct 05, 2013
I attend RCCG, when a member lost his Dad, even though he was not an active member, my pastor conducted the wake keep and a bus was provided to take us to the cemetary.

When another member lost his wife, my pastor also conducted the wake keep, and we all went to his village for d burial where the home church pastor presided over.

However, deaths are not announced in the main church service so that someone doesn't scream 'EWO Chi'm oº°˚!!' shocked shocked cry cry and scatter everywhere... However, in the smaller church groups and workers meeting, it is talked about.

1 Like

Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Jarus(m): 2:42pm On Oct 05, 2013
Thank God for Islam. Half of the sermons are about death. Most mosques even have stretcher (abi wetin be the name) that they use to carry dead members. The imams are one of the first people that arrange the washing of the dead, praying over the dead, and burying.

Frankly, this is one of the reasons I like islam. It readily acknowledges that the fact that no matter how devoted we are to God, there will be tribulations in terms of loss of things we covet (wealth, job, loved ones etc) and ultimately death. It just doesn't make sense to me that somebody will now preach only prosperity to me, that 'the low sides of life can never be his portion'. Fact of life is, there will be such things and Islam teaches how to handle such tribulations. Prosperity teaching snd shying away from it just doesn't make sense to me. I just pity people that fall for this deceit.

7 Likes

Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by juman(m): 2:47pm On Oct 05, 2013
Hmmmmm.
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Acidosis(m): 2:47pm On Oct 05, 2013
One thing I've noticed is, some particular churches are always eager to bury the dead.. Infact, they fight to make sure they get the slot of burial..

1. ******** ******
2. ECWA (Evangelical Church of West Africa)
3. Anglican church
4. Baptist Church
5. Methodist

My Grand mom before she gave her life to Christ was a Methodist fanatic..
According to her, her Reverend in Church always tell them (old women) not to miss church services so the Church can organise a good burial for them, and by so doing, all the aged women can meet their husbands in "heaven" (some of whom died as a drunkard) grin

Some of these churches are occupied by old and aged men and women.. ECWA is a typical example..

In such cases, they have no choice but to continually bury the dead...

@Op, and who told you these Churches do not make money during burial?
Lol.. why do you think they're always interested in buring and buring?

I'm a man that loves to speak the truth, don't blame me grin

If I begin to tell you the money these Reverends make buring the dead, you'll be surprised.. Infact, they make more money than wedding events grin

I've met so many of them, I know their ways o... grin

You think they really care about the soul of the departed..
Oh you think, the "Egbe Obinrin" and "Women of Honour" that wear the same attire really care about the departed? lol

Abeg I nor fit laugh jare...

Thats not to praise or edify those pentecostal Churches who ignore that aspect.. It doesn't speak well of a Bible believing Church especially those that claim to have heaven and earth in their wallet.. Typical Pente-rascals, swaggerlistic-jerry curl tinted deceiving candidates of Hell..

In conclusion jare, burial ceremony shouldn't be a thing of joy except you're sure about the life of the dead..

Some of those you're celebrating here on earth are roasting in the lake of fire...
If only we could see them; those multi-coloured attires would change to rag in anguish and loud cry for mercy..

and did I also tell you that some Churches are pre-dominated by youths and men who do not see death forthcoming...
abi you want make them bury one another alive?

5 Likes

Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Bsholey(m): 2:48pm On Oct 05, 2013
[color=#770077][/color] gudday my fellow nairalanders,i am one of Jehovah's Witnesses. As far as christianity has existed, death is a tragedy dat can befall even xtians. The identifying make of true xtians should be love {john 13:35} even at the death of a member not considering if an elder or not. BUT as xtains we dnt get involved in many traditional burial rites {wake keeping,40 days prayers e.t.c} bcuz of the spiritistic acts and believes attached 2 them and bcuz according 2 da bible{eccl 9:5,6,10} wen 1 dies he goes nowhere until the resurectn. I rest my case.
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Appliedmaths(m): 2:48pm On Oct 05, 2013
Originalsly: Whoaa!...Before You strangle the OP...I find this your response interesting. Abeg...wipe the froth from your mouth and tell me how you know the wicked ones and witches....and ehmmm....do you reject their offerings? I'm just asking for clarification...please don't offer deliverance.BTW...are you the only thug...sorry....are you the only member on duty?

My friend grin when you're spiritually carried you'll know when some strange powers are operating. When you ask some people what religion they belong to they'll quickly tell you they're christians my brother don't be deceived cuz even the devil goes to church. In summary, I'm not judging I'm just laying out the exceptions to this matter. If I know a man to be a thief (politheifcians grin) and he comes to my church to pay tithe and offering chia! His money isn't welcomed. It's just that the bad eggs (fake pastors all in the name of money) has stained the true body of christ. As we have real products my brother we also have fake. And yes I'm the thug of Jesus christ who's on duty...grin

1 Like

Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by juman(m): 3:01pm On Oct 05, 2013
There is nothing one will not hear in this country.
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by dejijohns(m): 3:02pm On Oct 05, 2013
Juell: My dad died as a member of ECWA (evangelical church of west Africa). As a registered member, the church bought the coffin and the senior pastor, some elders and many church members followed us to our village for the burial (from Jos to kogi state). He died on Sunday morning, and it was announced immediately after morning service. Frm service almost all the members trooped to our house including the senior pastor and his assistant. That's true love
ECWA is nw Evangelical Church For Winning All
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by dejijohns(m): 3:04pm On Oct 05, 2013
Bossforeva: My church take's over the burial entirely so far he is a christian.
We rejoice with those that rejoice and mourn with those that mourn
Tel us ur church name na..
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by KKImoh: 3:07pm On Oct 05, 2013
tchidi: I attend RCCG, when a member lost his Dad, even though he was not an active member, my pastor conducted the wake keep and a bus was provided to take us to the cemetary.

When another member lost his wife, my pastor also conducted the wake keep, and we all went to his village for d burial where the home church pastor presided over.

However, deaths are not announced in the main church service so that someone doesn't scream 'EWO Chi'm oº°˚!!' shocked shocked cry cry and scatter everywhere... However, in the smaller church groups and workers meeting, it is talked about.
why? Pls tel me why? But if sm1 wins 20million, it wil b announced bah? The bible is standard "rejoice wit doz who rejoice & mourn wit doz who mourn''

3 Likes

Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by pheesayor(m): 3:08pm On Oct 05, 2013
My church CHRIST APOSTOLIC CHURCH (CAC) The mother of all Pentecostal churches grin announces deaths of members and even families of members, church buses are even used to convey church members to burial sites and at times the reception even holds in the church.
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Atk01(f): 3:09pm On Oct 05, 2013
Prince_Nwokeji: In Deeper christian life ministry, popularily known as Deeper Life Bible Church, we care and love our living as well as those that died in the Lord. Because our hope is not only in dis world. We contribute,come out in mass and condole as when needed. Death is not the end of life, cos we still have life in Heaven.
That's true!
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by sureway1(m): 3:13pm On Oct 05, 2013
Redeem, deeper life, mfm...these churches bury their dead and it is been anouced@ the parish/distrist of the diseased but your lgnorance and hatred for these churches will not let you know..
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by IYANGBALI: 3:15pm On Oct 05, 2013
In our own church no matter the person,s status all members would come to the family house to pray and sing,it is the duty of the family to feed us morning,afternoon and evening until they bury their lost one. We don't give the family anything except prayers and church songs
Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by matrixme(m): 3:16pm On Oct 05, 2013
reading this topic just makes me sad about the state of present-day Christianity in Nigeria. The irony is that the primary reason we attend Church is the redemption of our souls at death. Yet, we turn gloomy faces when the process happens and pretend never did. I'm sure this topic won't get as much attention as defending our private jet riding pastors or say homosexuality.

2 Likes

Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by MissEZ(f): 3:16pm On Oct 05, 2013
First and foremost, i think it is unfair to generalize about anything and that includes pentecostal churches. I am not a fan of most pentecostal churches but there are very few good ones out there.

That being said, i attend an evangelical church (ECWA), and the particular one i go to care for their members. They announce illnesses, robberies or other misfortunes, deaths and even death of a church members family member who do not attend the church (e.g mother, father etc). This is a church with a congregation of over 700 people. Granted its not as much as most present day pentecostal churches, but it is still a significant number. One pentecostal church that i have attended that seems to do well also is Assemblies of God's church. The two branches i attended regularly when i moved away from home were also very caring and would help members who were struggling, sick or experiencing some kind of loss.

Real churches and pastors understand that God has called us to love one another, and failure to comply exposes fake churches for what they really are. Money making industries. My 2 cents

1 Like

Re: Death Of Church Members: How Does Your Church React? by Lakayanah: 3:18pm On Oct 05, 2013
Appliedmaths.:

My friend grin when you're spiritually carried you'll know when some strange powers are operating. When you ask some people what religion they belong to they'll quickly tell you they're christians my brother don't be deceived cuz even the devil goes to church. In summary, I'm not judging I'm just laying out the exceptions to this matter. If I know a man to be a thief (politheifcians grin) and he comes to my church to pay tithe and offering chia! His money isn't welcomed. It's just that the bad eggs (fake pastors all in the name of money) has stained the true body of christ. As we have real products my brother we also have fake. And yes I'm the thug of Jesus christ who's on duty...grin
I am yet to see a Pentecostal church that has publicly/privately refused the visitation of politicians. They talk evil of them behind them but when they come visiting they are given seat at the alter.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mbaka Tells Fellow Priests To Stop Condemning Him For Praying For Nnamdi Kanu / Meet 10 Wave-making Gospel Singers From Idoma Land / Bakare: Only Rich Men Should Rule

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.