Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,175 members, 7,815,107 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:25 AM

Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? (8508 Views)

Any Hope For A Database Administrator In Nigeria / Any Hope For Oracle Professionals In Nigeria? / Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by Skywalker5(m): 9:36pm On Jun 05, 2006
Hello

I would like to know if there is any hope for a graduate with low grades.
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by debosky(m): 9:42pm On Jun 05, 2006
Hi sky. First it seems you're blaming others for the problem, are you saying that all the people who made 1st, 2/1 or 2/2s all 'settled' or used their bodies? I don't think so

secondly, are you academically inclined? the problem with naija is evry1 thinks you must go to university when some people are best suited to other vocations.

thirdly, I think there is still hope, you must simply develop yourself, in other areas - e.g. take an IT related course (only if you are inclined though) or at least get basic computer knowledge if you don't have it already.
Basically it will be harder for you to get a job in the same oversaturated market. Don't lose hope tho its still possible, besides, if you're business inclined i would advise you start looking for things you can do without necessarily being 'employed' by someone.
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by Skywalker5(m): 9:56pm On Jun 05, 2006
I not blaming anyone.I know its my fault but i do know what goes underground ut what can i do.I just need advice if the PGD and Master worths it
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by debosky(m): 9:57pm On Jun 05, 2006
ok, first of all, what course did you study at undergraduate level?
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by frankie101(m): 10:41pm On Jun 05, 2006
sky walker,3rd class isn't d end of d world O!
i grad. wit 3rd class my self(engr),i tell u its not
easy but like d other guy said,u need 2 develop
ur self.
me ,i enrolled in an IT sch(MCSE),i'm still there rite now
and i thank GOD
i was able 2 get a job in a call centre.though d pay
is nothing,just enuff 4 me 2 pay my IT sch fees,i still
thank GOD cos i'm not jobless and i'm acquring skills
i believe u shld do d same.
abt pgd,me i dnt buy d idea,may be outside naija
u can still apply 4 call centre jobs,customer sevice agents etc
but d most important tin is 4 u 2 acquire skills.
if d IT skool is 2 expensive,u could try computer village
that's if u r in lagos.there they teach 95% practical
my guy there's money in IT
to hell with 3rd class-get the skills
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by Olumide7(m): 7:48am On Jun 06, 2006
In Nigeria, the its-who-you-know policy is still on, people with 3rd class have gotten jobs in big companies in Nigeria because they know people who know people. People with first class that do not know people are sitting at home jobless. So I think you should try to make connections and you will get yourself a solid job.
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by adoze: 1:05pm On Jun 06, 2006
Hi, Remember the story of the three lepers in the bibile. Amongst all they were not Qualified 4 any thing even to stay in the city of Samaria. But Because they took a bold step, they brought deliverance to the land.
you may seem unqualified, but 3rd class is just an opinin of a certain set of people. Believe God; take a BOLD STEP; and God will make a way 4 you where no way exists.
Remember Gani Fanwemi, And wole Soyinka Were 3rd class but made a difference. God be with you.
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by Genial(m): 1:31pm On Jun 06, 2006
Sky-walker:

Hello
I would like to know if there is any hoppe for graduate who comes out with 3rd class degree.I know i tried my best but i was not good enough in school just because my other classmates have money to help them or have their bodies to share.I am fresh out of school and i need to know if the certificate worths it or mayb go back to school for second degree.If 3rd class graduate ends of doing PGD or even masters.Do companies still employs them?i need to know because i am really confused now.Some one should please give me a reasonable advice.

Skywalker, there will always be a way where there is the will to succeed. If you are not inclined towards academics - surely there are several other things you are good at? You can explore these abilities - in fashion, acting, business, farming/agriculture and many more areas. If you can translate your natural acumen into polished skill (by training yourself!), you will find out that you will add more value to yourself and society by functioning in your area of strength!!

My heart goes out to you, my friend. THERE IS HOPE FOR YOU!!! And don't ever doubt that.

Write your own story - let this be the beginning of a new chapter. Let other people who are discouraged draw encouragement from you as you summon, from the depths of your being, your God-given ability and the will to succeed!

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by babadee(m): 5:47pm On Jun 06, 2006
i'm with you sky because i'm in the same situation but i believe academics is not the only way. there are lots of things that you can do like go for your MBA or an IT course.
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by Skywalker5(m): 6:53pm On Jun 06, 2006
Thanks Guys.This site is really cool.You guys really encouraged me.I been feeling down a lot this days after i saw it but after reading your replies.I have to say i am confident and i will try my best to get the best out of my self.Thanks Naira Land.You guys just gave me a big smile.
Kepp up the good work
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by Labelle(f): 1:25am On Jun 07, 2006
uh, 3rd class's preeeety bad! what were you smoking lil man?
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by otokx(m): 9:47am On Jun 07, 2006
There is plenty of hope but you gat to take it systematically and forget what is past. Have you finished NYSC? are you computer literate? do you have connections? Going for a higher degree as in PGD first before the MBA can be fun but it requires a lot of financial resources. So first get a job, to keep you busy and in shape and then make a choice whether you will want to continue in your present field of study or change to another. If ur changing to another then no need for further education in that area. keep your eyes open for government jobs and some other jobs where the requirement is just B.Sc
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by bolaoni(m): 10:51am On Jun 07, 2006
I don't know if I will be able to finish my story on a whole page.

Well, I was in this dilema while in school. Everybody was settling and I couldn't because I never thought it was possible until I saw people doing it. It was a very crazy thing in the school I went. Everybody, born again sef, were doing it. It is just like a norm but my own belief system couldn't make me do it. I was more concerned about me being able to defend whatever I get out of the system.

What did I do? In my 4th year, I discovered that there is something within me that is GREATER than any result I can ever get out of the University. I discover my potentials and that was the GREATESt discovery anybody could make. I know I have a flair for writing, sports and computer and the next question I asked was, "What can I do with all my potentials/talents?" If you are going to make any headway in life, you should learn to ask this question.

After asking this question, I discovered that there are 1 million things for me to do and I made up my mind that NOTHING will EVER stop me from making use of my talents. I started off immediately and had to forgo my NYSC because I saw it as a waste of my precious time. I have wasted 5 years running after shadows already.

I started learning web designing, on my own, while in my finals and I was sure i wanted to start off as a web designer. I had to take up employment in a cyber cafe immediately after I graduated and was being paid #3, 500  shocked But I was happy doing it because while working, I was at the same time learning. People were amazed that a graduate could be doing such a job, but I was undetered because I know what I want and I was getting it there. I floated a web design biz with nothing a year after that (2003) and I want to tell you it wasn't an easy pie at all.

To cut the long story short, my Web Design biz is gathering momentum. I am now a writer, with the second book coming out SOON and it is going to be sold online. I am also an information marketer and coach a lot of people to discover their detiny and see what they can do with their talents rather than the degree.

My talent has being able to do for me what NO DEGREE would have been able to do. I enjoy so much freedom and I work less hours in a day and relax more. What could be better than that?

There is one quote from Soichiro Honda that I would have loved to share, but I can't get it now. Will add it later. it is talking about talents and degrees.

Sky and anybody in this position, this is a matter of the mindset, if you think you are worthless because of your 3rd class, then you are! Nut if you think you can still make something out of it, then you WILL. "As a man thinketh in his heart, SO IS HE!"

wink  wink  wink  wink
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by Olumide7(m): 11:02am On Jun 07, 2006
nice one, keep it up cool
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by Blue2(m): 1:48pm On Jun 07, 2006
Two of my pals in school graduated with a thrid class, today they are the most successful of us all! in the outside world "1+1=2" isn't always equal to two, it takes the "clever guy" to fathom this. mind u i didn't say brillant! 3rd class isn't a fantastic result but its a result all the same! so don't let it weigh you down, dust your shoes and find out where your 1st class talent lies out there in the world!!
Best of luck!!
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by manakins: 2:16pm On Jun 07, 2006
Hi,
Dont even indulge in self pity just either go out there and make something out of ur life.Big names like GANI,WOLE SOYINKA ARE 3RD CLASS MATERIALS BUT THEY ARE THE besst in there feilds.
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by D3n3n(m): 5:50pm On Jun 07, 2006
sky, the problem with going back to school isn't  really about trying to get the PDG or Master, it really about knowing  that by the time you are out, you have either grown older or you over qualified for certain positions.  But do not be discouraged by anything, keep looking for that job and trying to find out where you want to do your PDG or Masters. It helps if all are done in one town. We all dey that boat. grin
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by T2(m): 5:56pm On Jun 07, 2006
Thats a good point D3n3n, its one thing to get a masters, its another to get a job after the masters.

If you go about chasing education, you come out and you might still not get a job,

I suggest you try and get some good skills, for me it was IT that helped but I did had a passion for this even while in uni,

If you get a job, u can do PGD part time but do concentrate on improving your marketable skills 1st, its not the end of the world, not at ALL!
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by Shagari2(m): 11:53pm On Jun 07, 2006
No
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by kafero(m): 1:24am On Jun 08, 2006
Coming out of school with a third class is not the end of life.I came out with a third class too, and I am working in an I. T. establishment.Work on youself man. ask yourself what is one thing I can do better than others then develop yourself along that line. and again don't stop spreading your CV all over the place .remember when you submit your CV anywhere don't put your grade.simply put the course you studied. and please network - meet with people.see, the tendency is to want to keep it to yourself probably out of shame. but you don't do that man. show your wound so that it can get healed.see, it is at this initial stage that iti s difficult, once you can land your first job heaven is the limit. Pesonally, I know people (enough) that graduated with 3RD class who are really doing fine, so you are not the only one in it. if you want to go back to school pls do it outside the country. and, don't forget to faith in God ,in yourself and in the system(Nigeria).wish you the best.
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by bolaoni(m): 10:53am On Jun 08, 2006
Oga Seun,

are you willing to go back to school now?

I doubt it!

This is what we are all saying, it is not about degree or qualification, it is all about living a life of purpose!

Nobody is asking the likes of Henry Ford, Micheal Dell, Steve Jobs, Warren Buffet the class they came out with in school. It is high time we change our mentality.

Wait a minute! Can anybody tell me the degree Micheal Jackson, P Diddy and the likes possess? cool
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by dumebipaul(m): 1:17pm On Jun 08, 2006
THE TRUTH IS DAT THE RESULTHAS CME AND THERES NOTHING U CAN D TO CHANGE IT.I HEARD A GOVERNOR CURRENTLY SEVERING IN ONE F THE NIGER DELTA STATES MADE A3RD CLASS,IWUANYNWU ALS MADE A 3RD CLASS.BUT LOOK AT THEM 2DAY. S MY GUY JUST CHEER UP ND EITHER GO BACK 4 UR PGDRPUT UR HANDS IN A TRADE. "ACCEPT A KNOCKDOWN BUT DOWN TAKE A KNOCK OUT". WHEN U ARE KNOCKED DOWN U CAN STAND UP AND TRY AGAIN BUT FOR THE LATER THE MATCH IS OVER cheesy
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by DRANOEL(m): 3:48pm On Jun 08, 2006
third class end of the world? hell no! wole soyinka,gani,adamu ciroma all third class! work on your IT skills
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by bolaoni(m): 6:49pm On Jun 09, 2006
Mister Motivator, Ubong Essien too is a 3rd Class material. Look at what he is doing now!

As I have said earlier, it is a thing of the mind! cool
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by Shadylady(f): 1:40pm On Jun 12, 2006
What was that nonsense posted in by Laballe or whatever ur name is denouncing a 3rd class hons? i got news for u, hon; EVERY DEGREE FROM ANY NIGERIAN UNIVERSITY IS QUESTIONABLE!!! So why are u feeling so smug with urself? what did u come out with and where are u now? As mentioned earlier having a 3rd class is just an opinion of certain people. It can pose as a hiccup initially as most employers will probably not want to shortlist u that is if u mention it on ur c.v. 1st class et al are required to make the shortlisting process quicker. Doesn't guarantee automatic employment in many cases as one is still subjected to interviews, psychometric and aptitude tests etc
However, if u make it to the interview stage, u can then try and create a great impression. This leaves then wondering and questioning ur 3rd class degree.
I have to mention at this point that i know this simply because i came out with a 3rd class and initially, it gave me a complex of some sort but being who i am, i went on to obtain an MBA from a UK university emerging one of the tops in my class.
At a recent interview, when asked what i came out with, i mentioned it to them and when asked why, i placed my 2 certificates, the nigerian and U.K before them and asked, which is more doubtful? A dodgy Nigerian state university or a recognised U.K with honours MBA certificate? It left them very impressed. However, i must mention that i am a very articulate, intelligent and confident young woman so that works for me too.
My advice to u my friend is to try and get additional qualifications and also work on ur other skills like oratory, interpersonal, writing etc. A lot of people don't bother with these skills because they rely on other things but they are very important to have as they make u stand out.
Forget the past (i.e 3rd class) and look to the future.
Best of luck,
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by FemiD(m): 3:26pm On Jun 12, 2006
I really enjoy the lines aspresented bypeople with diverse opinions. There are several people with a 3rd class and i am one of them. I will rather say it has been a blessing somehow for me because while my mates were littering the streets looking for a super-normal job with their priced certificates, I got a job just few months after nysc and have since developed myself. By His grace, I have added some IT skills to myself, Oracle Certified Professional,Sun Java Certified Programmer etc. I have developed several skills in Web design, programming with C, C++ and VB,AutoCAD design etc , There is just so much you can do for yourself. I am back in school now and I will be graduating soon with Post Graduate Diploma in Computer Science. Back to ur original question. You can go directly for your masters as long as you are not changing faculty but if you have to change faculty just like I did, you will have to go through post graduate dip. And now you know u have to put in all your best because you will be competing with peolple of all grades. I mean in my class right now there are first class, second class and they are no threat to me. Best of Luck to you.
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by bolaoni(m): 10:03am On Jun 13, 2006
Femi,

Na wah o. You must be an effico.

Wait a minute, what are you going to do with all these IT skills you have acquired?

Look for a job? Just crious please.
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by anizzle(m): 1:22pm On Jun 14, 2006
guy stop wasting ur time cos u got a 3rd class, u even gree graduate self, i left while mii gp was still 3.87 cos i believe education in dis country is a waste of time, home boy use ur head, stay away fromm academia and fraud , just use ur head n follow ur heart
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by ishmael(m): 11:23am On Jun 21, 2006
My guy you got a 3rd class and u,re feeling bad and complaining!! What do u want people like Bill Gates to say? Remember he does not even have a Degree not to talk of class of Degree; but today he's the world's richest man. Dont give up please.
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by BK(m): 12:08pm On Jun 21, 2006
my friend try to understand whats going on in life, it not the degree that matters, i tell u, what matters is what u have upstairs. from all everybody have been talking it shows that its what u have i.e. skills, knowlege etc. try to get additional skills for your self and other certifications for your self it will take you some where in life.
Things that are happening in our universities it not what we have to start talking about, but what i have come to know is that is not everybody thats made to go to universities.
Just try to use your upstairs it will help you very well.

Cheers smiley
Re: Any Hope For lower grades In Nigeria? by makin(m): 2:40pm On Jun 22, 2006
well, easy for anyone to encourage you with lots of talk!
I've been down this lane before
wait till you apply and get to the last level of interview and the firm needs 5 people, there are 6 of you with only you having 3rd class out of the lot, unless "the Nigerian factor comes into play heavily" you are obviously the odd man out.
IT isn't the way out like its being touted in a lot of the posts i read, MSCE, MCAD et al don't mean a fly, if you don't get the opportunities.
The number one thing is for you to believe in yourself enough that regardless of the grade of your degree, you have something to offer!
if you want to pursue a career, find out how to develop yourself in it, and if you would like to be an entrepreneur, take your time to research the industry or trade before venturing, and be determined.
To let you into one truth, i made a 3rd class [and my wife made a 1st], i didn't have a job for 2 years after NYSC, she got a great job in a "then" big bank before NYSC.
Now i have my own firm with offices in 3 different countries, and an average of 10 in each, my wife STILL works in that bank, and seriously looking for another work as bank consolidation is threatening every one.
BE THE BEST THAT YOU CAN BE!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Importance Of Industrial Chemistry To Nigeria And The Entire World / Which Business Can I Start With 150k? / Www.joinpg.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.