Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,918 members, 7,838,278 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 06:26 PM

PHCN Handed-Over To Strategic Core Investors - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PHCN Handed-Over To Strategic Core Investors (20344 Views)

The Nigeria I Handed Over To Buhari Was The Biggest Economy In Africa – jonathan / RRS Patrol Vehicles Stationed In Strategic Points Across Lagos (photos) / Abuja-kaduna Rail Line Will Be Completed And Handed Over In December (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PHCN Handed-Over To Strategic Core Investors by ayzone: 11:15am On Oct 01, 2013
..and what is the fate of PHCN Staff with the new investors.
Re: PHCN Handed-Over To Strategic Core Investors by zetel95(m): 1:27pm On Oct 01, 2013
ikwere militant: bad belle if u dont lyk gejs work pls join a party nd contest d nxt electn
exactly, guy 4 ur information GEJ has paid off PHCN any gud technical person can now be retain. GEJ has brake record in d history of Nigeria again. OBJ gives us GSm, now is GEJ giving us private light. Is a gud one.
Re: PHCN Handed-Over To Strategic Core Investors by Nobody: 2:07pm On Oct 01, 2013
mustybrown: my dad hav serve that company 4 over 13 years and not even single dime was given to him as pay off. So shot up

I beg make u ask ur Papa very well o! The guy fit to dey fear the demand una go make of him
Re: PHCN Handed-Over To Strategic Core Investors by mojid22000: 3:09pm On Oct 01, 2013
Let us all be prayerful that the privatization works out fine, that's the main thing.

And another powerful question, who are these so called private investors, are they not the same pple that stole nigerian funds or are they foreign investors like the mtn, etisalat an co?

i would be so much confident if these investors were to be foreign investors cos who really mean business.
Re: PHCN Handed-Over To Strategic Core Investors by iamdsam: 3:48pm On Oct 01, 2013
I'll only be glad about it only if it ends the power epilepsy that has continued in the country for a very long time now
Re: PHCN Handed-Over To Strategic Core Investors by Chrisjane(f): 4:36pm On Oct 01, 2013
What wud be d fate of PHCN Pensioneers?
Re: PHCN Handed-Over To Strategic Core Investors by Chrisjane(f): 4:37pm On Oct 01, 2013
What wud be d fate of PHCN Pensioneers?
Re: PHCN Handed-Over To Strategic Core Investors by bodejohn(m): 5:33pm On Oct 01, 2013
Having gone through all the pages of the thread, I can see that the comments have been largely divided although not equally along the pro and the anti power privatisation policy.

Before I lay bare my fears about the policy, let me quickly say that privatisation is not a monster and maybe the turning point to power supply in Nigeria.

Having said that, there are some truths about the results of this privatisation process that has not been laid bare.

Firstly, from my understanding of the process, I may be wrong, I am open to correction, we have just replaced phcn with another monster. The will be no competiton, the 18 discos and 6 gencos were sold to private owners. While there could be some form of competition between the gencos, I very much doubt the discos. For example, I am under the Ibadan Disco, now owned by Abulsalam, I have nothing against him, his tribe or his company but he is in direct control of the power distribution in the whole of Ibadan, Oyo state and his environs which could include some parts of Ogun state, he is absolutely in charge, without proper legislation and monitoring, we are just in the hand of another shylock investor.

Secondly, the infrastructure required for generation, transmission and distribution of electrical power cannot be installed over night. Infact, some of the equipments are not off the shelf, meaning they have to be manufactured and shipped to Nigeria for installation with lead times ranging from between 6months and even 2years. Do Not Expect so much change in power distribution in the next one year and this is assuming that the new owners are greater than 85% efficient.

While we await the transformation that this process is about to bring, we should also not forget the attendant cost implication of a stable and steady power supply. Infact, I foresee an increase of between 600 and 1000% in the coming months.

Edits: Permit spelling errors and puntuation, I typed this on a phone.

Like I said earlier, this is my understanding of the process, I am open to constructive discussion on the points that I have tried to explain above.

1 Like

Re: PHCN Handed-Over To Strategic Core Investors by gabbytabby: 8:18pm On Oct 29, 2013
This is a welcome development. We now need to wait and see what happens. Personally, I think there is a lot of money in the current tariff structure if they would invest money in installing prepaid meter cos there are people paying 500 in bribe to PHCN staff monthly and using light to run a business.

The salary structure for more than half of the workforce was really such that collecting money from the populace was really unavoidable. At 2009 when I was close with people who worked for PHCN I knew some were paid 5000 a month and often times this barely covered their transportation cost.

GEJ will definitely have my vote and my support if he pulls this one through.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Leave Me Alone, Concentrate On National Issues, Jonathan Tells Senators / 2019 Presidency: PDP Shops For Serving Governor (dailytrust) / Hamid Ali Resumes At Customs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.