Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,225 members, 7,815,291 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? (14766 Views)

Problems Encountered By The Introduction Of The New Vehicle Tinted Glass Permit / How To Process Your Car Tinted Permit Plus My Experience / Vehicle Tinted Glass Permit Now Free-nigerian Police. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by adesolar(m): 11:48am On Jun 28, 2008
I am rather unclear about the legal requirements for the use of tinted glass in a car.

Can anyone enlighten me?

If a permit is required, how do I obtain it legally (not thru touts) and at what cost.

Do I need the permit if the tint came with the car originally?

1 Like

Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by bluehorizo(m): 1:43pm On Jun 28, 2008
You have to write a letter to the office of the Inspector General and pay 25 thousand naira for the permit. It will take 6 months or more for the permit to be issued. Hope i'm correct.
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by fotodaddy: 10:18pm On Jun 28, 2008
bluehorizo:

You have to write a letter to the office of the Inspector General and pay 25 thousand naira for the permit. It will take 6 months or more for the permit to be issued. Hope i'm correct.

cost is correct but I got mine in 1 week flat.
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by cooldude62(m): 10:39pm On Jun 28, 2008
i think a light tint is ok, i dont think that requires a permit.
only security conscious executives will go for dark tints
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by fotodaddy: 8:41am On Jun 29, 2008
cooldude62:

i think a light tint is ok, i don't think that requires a permit.
only security conscious executives will go for dark tints

When you dey for check point with police, na this your "I think" go turn you to lawyer. And after they lighten your wallet you go do re-think grin grin
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by adesolar(m): 11:47am On Jun 29, 2008
So Fotodaddy,
How do i go about getting the permit in 1 week?
Can you help?
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by cooldude62(m): 5:58pm On Jun 29, 2008
fotodaddy:

When you dey for check point with police, na this your "I think" go turn you to lawyer. And after they lighten your wallet you go do re-think grin grin
grin grin
though i dont use a tinted car, i got a friend who uses a light one,
he has not had probs with any police officer.
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by noel76(m): 6:28pm On Jun 29, 2008
u dont need a permit 4 factory tinted
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by fotodaddy: 8:55pm On Jun 29, 2008
noel76:

u don't need a permit 4 factory tinted

When police stop you, you go prove am.

For the permit, go to Lion Building on the island and just talk to the people there. Its done there. I have already done 2 this year for my Pathfinders.
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by inspiredm(m): 11:22pm On Jun 29, 2008
ade.solar

seems you're worried cos of your factory laminated windows on the 07 Accord

Yours is the Presidential Option so no Police dares stop you

Naija Police dey fear that type of your car, Its exclusively for the Presidency

However I have a guy that does it for 20k in 3 days, I can provide the after sales service for you.

Check out the car

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-145678.0.html
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by uchetobi(f): 8:35am On Jun 30, 2008
You need a permit for all tinted cars, factory made, light, dark, my colleague drives a Sienna and you know the glasses are tinted right from the factory, he had to get a permit,

Just right after one week, he got it, just go through a police officer
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by EI(m): 3:37pm On Jul 02, 2008
inspired_m:

[color=#000099][b]ade.solar

seems you're worried because of your factory laminated windows on the 07 Accord

Yours is the Presidential Option so no Police dares stop you

Naija Police dey fear that type of your car, Its exclusively for the Presidency

However I have a guy that does it for 20k in 3 days, I can provide the after sales service for you.

ade.solar's ride is quite cheap for the features, age and mileage, if indeed no undisclosed issue - congrats to him. But I cannot but marvel at the increasingly polished marketing skills of our wheelers and dealers cool

"Yours is the Presidential Option so no Police dares stop you" is another master piece grin
Inspired, make we talk later,
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by noel76(m): 9:20pm On Jul 02, 2008
@ fotodaddy, i use pathfinder jeeps with tinted glasses though lightly tinted, a couple of times when d police stops me i njust explain to them that i dont need a permit for it.

I think most times it depends on your approach and personality. do not be intimidated by the police.
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by winnteam(m): 10:26pm On Jul 02, 2008
This service is actually free of charge.

A senior police officer told me so. All you need do is apply to the IGP.

But tust our people, they will sell anything.

I have never had issues with my Toyota sienna anyway and i have no tint permit.
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by adesolar(m): 1:28am On Jul 03, 2008
EI: Thanks! It is a nice ride, inspired_m had to appease me and he did it in a nice way.

Winnteam: abeg u fit introduce this guy who'll do it free to me?

Thanks guys!
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by waoosa(m): 10:57am On Jul 03, 2008
Adesolar,
Better you get the permit to avoid delay and unneccessary embarrassment. Though permit for tinted is supposed to be free but you can trust our police.

Mine is factory tinted too. Since I knew it is supposed to be freee after applying i thought coughing out 35K/40k (as I ma warri based) is too much. I approached a police guy at Ibadan when I visited my folks and I did it for N10K.

I have driven several times (since april when I did it) from Ibadan-warri and to lagos. Police have checked my permit and no wahala.

I believe doing any police stuff is cheaper in civil service state. I apologise to all Ibadan people. You guys are the pacesetters.
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by EI(m): 12:35pm On Jul 03, 2008
waoosa:

Adesolar,
Better you get the permit to avoid delay and unneccessary embarrassment. Though permit for tinted is supposed to be free but you can trust our police.

Supported! Many times you can't apply reason, enforce your rights, or bluff your way through with threats, when caught by the MIB (men in black) at our highways over all sorts of frivolities.   angry

I'll suggest Ade.solar follows up with the seller of his Presidential Option Accord  grin and get his permit.
At least Inspired has been nice to offer his assistance; something I've also tapped into for my Jenju's special  cool

Meanwhile I can give a good guess that waoosa is a member of SCiN. If yes, he may wish to drop me a line anytime through waeig0 id - dis suppose to be coded language even though I know say hackers plenti for here   grin  shocked
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by waoosa(m): 1:20pm On Jul 03, 2008
Meanwhile I can give a good guess that waoosa is a member of SCiN. If yes, he may wish to drop me a line anytime through waeig0 id - this suppose to be coded language even though I know say hackers plenti for here grin shocked
[/quote]Meanwhile I can give a good guess that waoosa is a member of SCiN. If yes, he may wish to drop me a line anytime through waeig0 id - this suppose to be coded language even though I know say hackers plenti for here grin shocked
[quote]
EI,
Jenju told me about you that you are somewhere in Niger delta.
This confirms jenju is real. Not that I ever doubt though. Can't wait to see your car from Jenju.

Will call you soon. I am presently at Helipad to Tunu. will call you shortly.
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by EI(m): 1:22pm On Jul 03, 2008
Waoosa,

No wahala. Watch ya back make those boys no go use you for ransom grin
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by waoosa(m): 1:25pm On Jul 03, 2008
God pass them. Thanks man. Na prayer time wey dey all times o.
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by inspiredm(m): 1:28pm On Jul 03, 2008
ade.solar

I bet No Police dares stop you in your 07 Accord

Nigerian Police dey fear and them dey respect All Black round Motor, strictly for the Presidency, even Aso Rock Guards go open gate for you without any scrutiny.

Your Car qualifies for the Presidential Entourage Guarantee,  grin grin
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by adesolar(m): 11:39pm On Jul 04, 2008
Waoosa,
Still expecting your reply o!
kindly hook me up with your policeman,
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by waoosa(m): 11:20am On Jul 05, 2008
ade.solar:

Waoosa,
Still expecting your reply o!
kindly hook me up with your policeman,
I don't know if it is right to paste his number here.
send ur email address and I will send you his mobile number.
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by adesolar(m): 5:47pm On Jul 09, 2008
Waoosa thanks.
My email is ade.solarin@gmail.com
Will be expecting your email soonest.

Thanks
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by adesolar(m): 5:58pm On Jul 10, 2008
Waoooooosssssaaaaaaaaaa, still waiting for your email,
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by waoosa(m): 10:06am On Jul 11, 2008
ade.solar:

Waoooooosssssaaaaaaaaaa, still waiting for your email,
Sorry. I have been busy.

A mail has just been sent to your box.
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by earthrealm(m): 10:04am On Aug 01, 2008
ok thanks 4 the info.
but one more thing,
could someone list the items that the nigerian police r authorised to ask 4 , ie car documents on the way, i learnt its just 4 items, n that they r listed on the nigerian police force website, hv checked, n was unable to see where they r listed
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by waoosa(m): 12:18pm On Aug 01, 2008
Earthrealm,
I printed this a couple of years back from their site. will scan and upload for you later today.

I show only my Driver's licenece,Insurance, Vehicle license and proof of ownership (though ploce publication said it's not required) and of cousre the tinted permit. On two or three occasions when I was asked for some other papers, I presented their Publication to them.
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by earthrealm(m): 4:43pm On Aug 01, 2008
ok thanks,
am awaiting ur prompt response
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by olukunle: 5:15pm On Aug 01, 2008
For all those saying u dont need a permit for your tinted glass, it is a lie.You need one. It is actually supposed to be free, but you have to pay btw 2ok and 35k to get it. It is ususally issued from the office of the DIG operations in Abuja. I got one for my car in February, i use an SUV that has factory tinted glass. I happen to have a very reliable police friend who is like a brother that helped me to get it. It was despatched through Ifesinachi from Abuja.
And no police man , Lagos and beyond has ever queried it's authenticity.

Dont let anybody deceive you that you dont need.
The policemen will always embarass you about it.
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by earthrealm(m): 6:08am On Aug 04, 2008
@ woooasa still waiting oh!!
Re: Tinted Glass: Is Police Permit Legally Required In Nigeria? by sultaan(m): 10:38am On Aug 04, 2008
olukunle:

For all those saying u don't need a permit for your tinted glass, it is a lie.You need one. It is actually supposed to be free, but you have to pay between 2ok and 35k to get it. It is ususally issued from the office of the DIG operations in Abuja. I got one for my car in February, i use an SUV that has factory tinted glass. I happen to have a very reliable police friend who is like a brother that helped me to get it. It was despatched through Ifesinachi from Abuja.
And no police man , Lagos and beyond has ever queried it's authenticity.

Dont let anybody deceive you that you don't need.
The policemen will always embarass you about it.

A policeman is not a friend anybody needs, we just want them for when we run into their ambush.
You paid 20-35k for a reliable police friend to get a free permit.

The white man wrote all the laws they are using in Nigeria to rule like masters before they left, our people twisted them to rule like gods.
Tints and privacy glass is more common in SUVs and Minivans that were not available(to everyone) in colonial era; it is now used to reduce heat buildup in cars from the sun. Manufacturers will not make rear privacy windows standard if it is not safe, most American cars now come with a level of tint on all window to reduce UV rays.We need to amend some of those colonial laws to meet the needs on the present and future generation.

I think there is/was a law that prevents people from building basement in their house for unknown reason, but now those laws should be reviewed. Why should Okada be banned at night in the east because police can't handle crime rate at night.

What is the logic behind the permit when 100% of SUVs & Minivans imported into Nigeria will require a permit going by the understanding of the policeman in the street?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Explain The Following Terms In Automatic Transmission Vehicles: / Know A Ford Mechanic And Genuine Parts Dealer In Lagos? / 3 Reasons Why Drivers Of Manual Transmission Cars Believe They're Better Drivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.