Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:24 AM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (519366 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 9:14am On Oct 31, 2013
Rich4god:
Me still dey kano... My parish is OLF. Though service carry come Warri, but I done pass out... On a side note, I dey fyn work, jst in case you guys sees any.
no p.
bt whr u dy stay 4 kano. ?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 9:14am On Oct 31, 2013
Mr. Aladin:
As the month ends today: May you say bye to
every negative happening that happen in
October, and may the Lord shower you with
new blessings this November: may no regrets
or disappointments come your way next
month in the Mighty Name of Jesus. Amen
Amen and you too
Re: A Thread For Catholics by MrAladin: 9:32am On Oct 31, 2013
woky: Amen and you too
thank you sir
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:37am On Oct 31, 2013
Mr. Aladin:
Amen.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 9:53am On Oct 31, 2013
woky: no p.
bt whr u dy stay 4 kano. ?
Church road...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 10:06am On Oct 31, 2013
Rich4god:
Church road...
haaa so na sabon gari u dy live sef..
i dy live 4 freetown

on a very good day we go meet.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by MrAladin: 12:07pm On Oct 31, 2013
Why the month of november is a very special month in the calendar of the catholic church.
Facts about November - Traditions including All Saints Day and All Souls Day
www.projectbritain.com/year/november.htm
Re: A Thread For Catholics by damerry(m): 1:59pm On Oct 31, 2013
To prepare our minds for the month of november dedicated to the souls in purgatory, the following revelations are worth reading.

The Secret of the Poor Souls in Purgatory An interview with Maria Simma of Austria.

www.michaeljournal.org/simma.htm

www.all-about-the-virgin-mary.com/purgatory-private-revelations.html
(even the facebook comments by faithfuls at the end of this ^^^ link is worthy of belief)

Both of these revelations, after exhaustive investigations by Church authorities, have been approved for publication and have received declarations from Church authorities that “nothing contrary to the Faith can be found in them.

please visit and lets share the parts that touched us most.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by damerry(m): 2:11pm On Oct 31, 2013
October devotion ends today, in my parish, it will be a rosary procession of 15 or 20 decades with the burning of petitions by the priest.

Heey, i know! Don't worry i'll include your nairaland incognito's on the petitions. God knows us all and he shall surely grant our heart desires through the intercession of our sweet mother Mary.

Please do well to attend this last devotion @ your parish.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 4:07pm On Oct 31, 2013
Mr. Aladin:

Amen, Amen. God bless you bro. Yes it is the end of the month...and the series as well. Hence to ensure the participation of all in this last class, as well as to usher in All saints day, the question will go thus: With the exception of Jesus and Mary, should God decide to give you an hour, with one of our elder sisters or brothers now with him, which will you request for and why?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 4:22pm On Oct 31, 2013
Syncan:

... to ensure the participation of all in this last class, as well as to usher in All saints day, the question will go thus: With the exception of Jesus and Mary, should God decide to give you an hour, with one of our elder sisters or brothers now with him, which will you request for and why?

I shall request an hour with St. Joseph.

I will want to find out how he felt each day at work, knowing that "God and His Mother" depends on his carpentry, for food. Oh I want to hear from him, the things he taught our lord himself. I want to lay my 'day to day' challenges before him, and get first hand info; on how to turn work into prayer, how to hear unmistakably God's voice and clear instructions, how to extirpate all forms of pride and take up the crown of humility and servitude. I will beg him, Oh I will beg him never to leave my side ever, though I will thank him, yes I will thank him, for the many times he has helped me out, for I have found favor many times before our God, when I had called this great saint to help.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 4:51pm On Oct 31, 2013
embarassed sad Hmm this is a serious question.
I will request an hour with St Padre Pio.
I want to know how it feels to bear the pains and wounds of Jesus Christ when you are not Christ. How does it feel to be doubted when you are certain of yourself, be accused of things you know are false and yet you keep quiet without defending yourself. I want to learn his humility and patience.
Syncan:

Amen, Amen. God bless you bro. Yes it is the end of the month...and the series as well. Hence to ensure the participation of all in this last class, as well as to usher in All saints day, the question will go thus: With the exception of Jesus and Mary, should God decide to give you an hour, with one of our elder sisters or brothers now with him, which will you request for and why?

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 6:47pm On Oct 31, 2013
In truth, many of them, for various reasons.

St. Peter: I want to know what it was that you heard, saw or felt that made you leave your fishing boat, net and father? What was it about that 'man' from Nazareth?

How did you reconcile your rashness with being the head of the Church? It was you who swore to die with Jesus then went on to slice off the Guard's ear. The very night, your guts failed you and you denied the Master. It was you who felt so unworthy that you cried out: "depart from me o Lord, for I am a sinful man!" Yet Christ made you the rock on which he built his Church. Teach me dear Father Peter, for I am sometimes a man like you were. Teach me Father.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by damerry(m): 7:21pm On Oct 31, 2013
Syncan:

i will request an Hour with saint John the beloved.
I will love to know how he felt been loved by Jesus, how comfortable he was when he lay on the Lord's bossom during his last supper, what was the exact feeling he felt when he knew his Master and love was to be taken from him?, whats the feeling when he saw with his very two eyes the indescribable torments that that his master endured on the cross. I will love to have him teach me how to LOVE, that love that could not separate him from his master even at the foot of the cross, that LOVE that made him wish he could convert his tears to water when he heard his master say from the cross I'M THIRSTY. that LOVE that made his master entrust his dear Mother Mary to his care, to take care of her, and to be taken care of by her. Love and Learning to LOVE is the greatest of all. As he would later say in one of his letter, THERE IS NO FEAR IN LOVE, FOR PERFECT LOVE CEASETH ALL FEARS.
Dear saint John the beloved, teach me how to Perfect my love for God and for my neighbours as i love myself, teach me how to Do even the smallest of all things for the sake of Love.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 7:23pm On Oct 31, 2013
St John: Tell me about our blessed Mother. What was it like to have the Mother of God in your home? What secrets did she tell you about Jesus? What did she tell you about St. Joseph as a husband and father?...for I want to be one like him.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 8:49pm On Oct 31, 2013
hehehe, i can't really decide, sts dominic savio, terese of d child Jesus, fracis and john of the cross will top my list right after mary, i don't know if i'll be able to comprehend their love for God, these guys had their heart on fire with love for God, a vision of any of them will be more than beautiful. I'll love to see st Gemma in her glory.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 9:25pm On Oct 31, 2013
Ubenedictus: hehehe, i can't really decide, sts dominic savio, terese of d child Jesus, fracis and john of the cross will top my list right after mary, i don't know if i'll be able to comprehend their love for God, these guys had their heart on fire with love for God, a vision of any of them will be more than beautiful. I'll love to see st Gemma in her glory.

hahaha, now we've got a real Oliver Twist.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by woky: 12:32am On Nov 01, 2013
Syncan:

st. Louis de Mantfort

I will love to knw his reason(s) for having strong devotion to our Blessed virgin Mary, how he felt when he was living with the poor and the joy and blessing he derive from preaching the gospel most expecially, to the poor.

I will ask him to pray for me so that i may live by his example.

Good mornin brethren and happy new month to you all

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by MrAladin: 6:19am On Nov 01, 2013
Syncan:

st. Maximilan of Kolbe Priest, Angel qnd Martyr.
Cos Jst has Jesus Christ died For Us, he opted for death to save a fellow human being.
He is also an intercessor.
I want him to intercede on our behalf.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Missonas(f): 7:47am On Nov 01, 2013
I'll want to spend an hour with St Dymphna young,quiet,beautiful and very humble.widely known for her intercession for the abused or mentally imbalanced.depression is increasing at an alarming rate.life is difficult.Then an hour each with St Jude and St Anthony of Padua

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 8:50am On Nov 01, 2013
Today the mother Church celebrate the Saints; known and unknown. As we pray and rejoice with them, I deem it fit to quote a saint's admonition on perfection

"Observe that perfection is not acquired by sitting with our arms folded, but it is necessary to work in earnest, in order to conquer ourselves and bring ourselves to live, not according to our inclinations and passions, but according to reason, our rule and obedience. The thing is hard, it cannot be denied but necessary. With practice, however, it becomes easy and pleasing".St Francis de Sales.

Happy All Saints Day! Hope you attended mass.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 9:28am On Nov 01, 2013
THE SAINTS ALIVE (All Saints' Day)

Dear friends, today we celebrate our brothers and sisters in the faith who after fighting the good fight with courage, have won the crown of eternal salvation.

The Saints, we know, are now in heaven with God and are privileged to behold him as he really is. They continue to commune with us in prayer and intercede for us before our Lord.I invite you to share something about one or two saints that have inspired you, whether through your reading their story or through their intercession.It could be a quote by a Saint, a dramatic conversion of a Saint, an inspiring story, a short biography or anything edifying.

May the Lord bless us all and may we all be counted among the elect as we continue to struggle through the intercession of the Saints and our Mother Mary, who is Queen of all Saints.God bless you as you do so.

How I remember this hymn with fondness:

"O when the Saints...go marching in (2ce)
O Lord I want to be in that number...
O when the Saints go marching in."

^^^

So that was the thread I prepared to open but found two threads on "All Saints' Day" already.

What do we do? Do we share it here? Do we share it on one of those? Do we forget about it?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 9:35am On Nov 01, 2013
I missed you on here

Missonas: I'll want to spend an hour with St Dymphna young,quiet,beautiful and very humble.widely known for her intercession for the abused or mentally imbalanced.depression is increasing at an alarming rate.life is difficult.Then an hour each with St Jude and St Anthony of Padua

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Missonas(f): 6:49pm On Nov 01, 2013
italo: I missed you on here

Hey bro!missed hanging out with everyone too.Happy all saints day!

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 6:57am On Nov 02, 2013
Help Lord the souls that thou hast made
The souls to thee so dear
In prison for the debts unpaid
of sins committed here.

Eternal rest grant them o' Lord; and let perpetual light shine upon them. May they rest in peace, amen.

"It is a holy and wholesome thought to pray for the dead; that they may be loosed of their sins" 2 Maccabees 12:46.

Today lets have some remarkable quotes, relating to Purgatory, from the scriptures or from the saints and church fathers.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by babestell(f): 7:45am On Nov 02, 2013
Today's feast day of All Souls gives us an answer to some questions we have inside of us. Why pray for the dead? Why offer mass intentions for them? Why visit graveyards? These make sense if we believe the foundational truth of Christianity: "Just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too, might live in newness of life." Because Jesus is raised into newness of life, there is hope for us to enter into fullness of life.

John's gospel echoes that truth: "It is the will of my Father that everyone who sees the son and believes in him may have eternal life." Primarily that raising up is God's action in our lives. It is the raising up of our hopes and dreams and sadness and tears. It is that end time summation of all we are and hope to be. Like a reunion with a long lost family member or friend, the will of the Father is to have us with Him. But there is a second raising up that we celebrate today. It is the raising up of our prayers for the deceased.

Because we love them, because they have been so much a part of our lives, we raise them up in prayer to God, hopeful that just as our love made a difference in their living, just as our care raised them up to "all that they could be" on this earth, so our love will raise them up to union with God. It becomes not just Jesus' desire that he should lose nothing of what God gave him, but our desire that God should lose nothing of what we surrender back to Him. So we visit cemeteries, we offer masses, we pray the rosary. We 'raise up to God' the gift of our family members, friends, and neighbors.

So today and during this month of November that is dedicated to remembering and praying for the dead, spend some time in prayer lifting up those who have gone before you. Spend time being lifted up by their lives and love. Let their continued care for you while they were alive, lift you up to all that you can be. May the souls of all the faithful departed through the Mercy of God rest in perfect Peace. Amen

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by MrAladin: 10:49am On Nov 02, 2013
Syncan: Today lets have some remarkable quotes, relating to Purgatory, from the scriptures or from the saints and church fathers.

Saint John Marie Vianney
"I come to tell you that they suffer in
Purgatory, that they weep, and that
they demand with urgent cries the help
of your prayers and your good works. I
seem to hear them crying from the
depths of those fires which devour
them: "Tell our loved ones, tell our
children, tell all our relatives how great
the evils are which they are making us
suffer. We throw ourselves at their feet
to implore the help of their prayers. Ah!
Tell them that since we have been
separated from them, we have been
here burning in the flames!"
"Yet how quickly we could empty
purgatory if we but really wished to."
"Consider then...the magnitude of these
sufferings which the souls in Purgatory
endure; and the means which we have
of mitigating them: our prayers, our
good works, and, above all, the holy
sacrifice of the Mass."
"The Church, to which Jesus Christ
promised the guidance of the Holy
Ghost and which, consequently, can
neither be mistaken herself nor mislead
us, teaches us about Purgatory in a
very clear and positive manner. It is
certain, very certain, that there is a
place where the souls of the just
complete the expiation of their sins
before being admitted to the glory of
Paradise, which is assured them."
"The fire of Purgatory is the same as
the fire of Hell; the difference between
them is that the fire of Purgatory is not
everlasting."
"How dearly we shall pay for all those
faults that we look upon as nothing at
all, like those little lies that we tell to
amuse ourselves, those little scandals,
the despising of the graces which God
gives us at every moment, those little
murmurings in the difficulties that He
sends us!"
"What years of Purgatory will there be
for those Christians who have no
difficulty at all in deferring their prayers
to another time on the excuse of
having to do some pressing work! If
we really desired the happiness of
possessing God, we should avoid the
little faults as well as the big ones, since
separation from God is so frightful a
torment to all these poor souls!"
"We must say many prayers for the
souls of the faithful departed, for one
must be so pure to enter heaven."

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 11:21am On Nov 02, 2013
^^^Nice collection of quotes from various saints.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by italo: 12:46pm On Nov 02, 2013
"If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire."--1 Cor 3:15.

There's no loss or fire in heaven, and no one is saved in hell.

Purgatory!

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by MrAladin: 12:48pm On Nov 02, 2013
"Apart from the Cross, there is no other way
of getting to Heaven."

St. Rose of Lima
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 1:43pm On Nov 02, 2013
If you see you brother or sister commit a sin that does not lead to death, you should pray to God who will give them life, this applies to those whose sin do not lead to death. But there is sin which leads to death, I do not say that you should pray. To God about that.

All wrong doing is sin, but there is sin which does not lead to death. 1Jn5V 16-17.

Our prayers can do whole lot of things for the holy souls in purgatory.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Missonas(f): 1:48pm On Nov 02, 2013
Whiile we remember and pray for the souls of our departed brothers and sisters who are now trying to gain God's mercy so that they can see His glory in heaven let us who are alive also ask God for the grace to live like His children and see His glory when we leave this world.Amen

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.