Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,500 members, 7,854,133 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 11:18 AM

A Thread For Catholics - Religion (347) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Catholics (521787 Views)

Mary's Command For Catholics / Message Of God For Catholics And Jehovah Witnesses- Sister Linda Testimony / For Catholics: Who Is Your Favorite Saint? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (344) (345) (346) (347) (348) (349) (350) ... (505) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 12:58pm On Apr 12, 2015
Happier sunday sons and daughters of Zion. smiley

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 5:20pm On Apr 12, 2015
Syncan:

hehehehe, even those that were speaking via proxy de talk. cheesy
Speaking is speaking still cheesy
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 6:07pm On Apr 12, 2015
For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world

Happy divine mercy sunday everyone

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 6:17pm On Apr 12, 2015
Kamsified:
For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world

Happy divine mercy sunday everyone
Same to you dear
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 6:31pm On Apr 12, 2015
Jnrbayano... Abeg open door make lemma448 enter... No knw y she just dey peep from d window...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 7:24am On Apr 13, 2015
EASTER SPIRITUAL BOUQUET: Acts 4:23-31, Jn 3.1-8. Today's Gospel presents us with the intimate dialogue that took place at night between Jesus and Nicodemus. Having been moved by Jesus' preaching and miracles, Nicodemus feels the need to know more about Him. He shows great respect towards Jesus and called Him "Rabbi". This title reveals the lack of his knowledge of Jesus. Nicodemus represents the beginners in the journey of faith. In the process of the maturation of faith, Nicodemus has to learn many things when he could not understand what Jesus means by having a rebirth. The first instruction given by Jesus is, "no one can see the Kingdom of God without being born from above" (Jn 3:3). To be "born from above" refers to this spiritual rebirth brought forth by a decisive change in life. The point that Nicodemus needed to learn is that those born of the spirit are equipped with a new source of life, a share in the very life of God. Through the Spirit, they have a new relationship with God. They know Him as a loving Father and are equipped with a new heart that is filled with the desires of God. They willingly turn their faces into the wind of the Spirit and allow that wind blow away everything in them that is not of Him so that they can bear witness to God. Hence, let us not lament that we have only one life, but rejoice that we can always remain young by making the best use of the opportunities of that rebirth that the Lord offer us. May the Lord grant us the grace to live in a new way every day of our lives! Amen!! Good morning and have a successful and spirit filled working week!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:07am On Apr 15, 2015
Just passing......
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:11am On Apr 15, 2015
QUESTION

Is it right for a Christian especially a Catholic to loan money to someone with interest or to take up money lending as a business?

Both biblical and church document citation will be acceptable.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Aizenosa(m): 8:48pm On Apr 15, 2015
Greetings everyone hw una day be, hope say e go well and way miss u all, and have a luvly evening

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 8:54pm On Apr 15, 2015
Aizenosa:
Greetings everyone hw una day be, hope say e go well and way miss u all, and have a luvly evening
Greetings to you too bro
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 12:32pm On Apr 16, 2015
SalC:
QUESTION

Is it right for a Christian especially a Catholic to loan money to someone with interest or to take up money lending as a business?

Now u r dealing in money... With tendencies for bribery and corruption....

From my own little understanding... The bible spoke against lending money with interest on the ground of charity.... That's when someone in need comes to you for help, you lend without interest or condition. But on business ground, I think you are good to go...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 7:59am On Apr 17, 2015
To all our mothers in the house, may I seize this medium to say HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY in advance.. We celebrate you all because without our mothers, we won't be in existence.. we love you all...
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Rich4god(m): 8:01am On Apr 17, 2015
EASTER SPIRITUAL EXHORTATION: Acts 5:34-42, Jn 6:1-15. Today's Gospel text about Jesus feeding the five thousand tells us about a miraculous prelude to the Bread of Life discourse, where Jesus reveals His presence. God wants to be present with us so much that He becomes human and resides amidst our human condition. As He reveals that His time is coming to an end, He institutes a ritual that allows Him to continually be present, the Bread of Life. When someone is fully present to us throughout the ups and downs of our lives it speaks volumes about the depth and breadth of their love for us. In Jesus we have a God who is such that when we step out to help others, we also experience Him as He steps out to help us. Just as at the time of Jesus, today too, there is the 'crowd' who are to be fed by the Kingdom values. Just as Philip, we too often feel that 'feeding' the crowd is too difficult and challenging and that we are incapable of doing it. Humanly speaking, taking out from the little we have seems impossible; neither can we fulfil it by our own strength. Jesus expects us to go beyond our natural way of thinking and to believe that everything is possible with Him who strengthens us. Jesus expects us to offer all we have and are. When that is done, there will be miracles, the impossible becomes possible, insufficiency becomes abundance and we shall all enjoin God's presence amongst us. May the Lord open our eyes to see our brothers and sisters' need and may He warm our hearts that we may offer Him our love! Amen!! It is well with you!!!

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 8:31am On Apr 17, 2015
SalC:
Speaking is speaking still cheesy

smh.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 8:58am On Apr 17, 2015
SalC:
QUESTION

Generally we have two main reasons why money is lent: (1). to pay for capital goods or to use as working capital, as in modern business, or it (2). to pay for everyday needs in the past or future. In ancient societies capital goods did not really exist in the way they do in modern societies, and the greater part of borrowing was for the personal needs of the less wise or fortunate, who needed money, which came from the more fortunate or wise, who had it. But that's different now, for modern practices of commerce has shown lending to be beneficial to both the lender and the borrower.

From the scripture it is worthy of note some important points, albeit that the scripture was protecting charity towards the poor.

Take not of the following passages:

Exodus 22:25 - If thou lend money to any of my people that is poor by thee, thou shalt not be to him as an usurer, neither shalt thou lay upon him usury.
Do take note of the bold.

Deuteronomy 23:20 - Unto a stranger thou mayest lend upon usury; but unto thy brother thou shalt not lend upon usury: that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all that thou settest thine hand to in the land whither thou goest to possess it.

This tends to support the Idea of doing it as a business, however still it preserves the need for charity without conditions towards the poor when we see thus:

Lev 25:25-26 And if thy brother be waxen poor, and fallen in decay with thee; then thou shalt relieve him: yea, though he be a stranger, or a sojourner; that he may live with thee. Take thou no usury of him, or increase: but fear thy God; that thy brother may live with thee.

The Catholic Church isn’t opposed to charging or paying interest on a loan per se; but its moral teachings on dealings with our fellow-man can definitely be applied when the conditions for obtaining a loan fail to take into consideration the humanity of the borrower. So in the face of helping the poor, the business has to take the back sit. However Interest rate is another issue, for the church frowns at exhorting too much interest, however what is "too much" isn't clear, but I think the lending rates in the society may just be a guide.

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 9:03am On Apr 17, 2015
From today's Gospel. Jn 6:1-15

...So they picked them up, and filled twelve hampers with scraps left over from the meal of five barley loaves. The people, seeing this sign that he had given, said, ‘This really is the prophet who is to come into the world.’ Jesus, who could see they were about to come and take him by force and make him king, escaped back to the hills by himself”.

Brethren, It’s often natural to want to stay away from those who contradict us. In fact we may even call them our enemies; those who criticize us. What about those who agree with us...ah they are our friends of course. How wrong we often are about this, for many a time in the midst of criticism lies love. When Debbie ...with mama eye ...looks at the turbulent relationship between the adolescent and the parent, when bluerange...from experience... see the betrothed fight, when Peppyluv...as a professional... see the teacher and student in a cat and mouse relationship, etc, it is often very obvious to them that inherent is an active love which has been misconstrued. Hence not often does contradiction signify ill intent. On the other hand, take a look into that heartbreak jnrbayano, yes, take a closer look at it, rich4god do check that betrayal, they arose from trusting those who erstwhile do agree with us. Child of God, beware of sycophants! They praise your every action, thus they blind your view, hamper your hearing, and impede your limbs. Sychophants lead you to the slaughter as you smile to your death. They are there for only selfish reasons; they are there for what they get from you and nothing else. Christ “escaped” from them, yet often times we “run toward” them. Many have been so unfortunate who mistook friends for foes and sychophants for friends, re-evaluate your acquaintances today...as I start to re- evaluate mine.

My list for re-evaluation:

Ubenedictus, kamsified, Jnrbayano, Italo, hurricanechris, jennydoris , peppyluv02, babestell,mzflexydeeva, francistony,ify124,stunningjudy, striktlymi, chineloSA, Vest, nnekamezor....list still loading.

Good morning brethren, a splendid day ahead to all.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 10:06am On Apr 17, 2015
Kamsified:

In my dad's voice *comparing bad apples to bad apples* undecided smh
chai!

Who cun be the bad apple?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 10:14am On Apr 17, 2015
SalC:
QUESTION

i believe syncan just answered your question it is ok to take interest on loans but due consideration must be given to the poor.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Ubenedictus(m): 10:20am On Apr 17, 2015
Syncan:

Nah. I've been more around than some people, Ubenedictus for instance, I won't even start mentioning Italo, SalC, babestell, vest, MrAladin, hurricanechris...ehm... where dem, dem know themselves.
how come you mentioned my name?

You foget you just resumed after your apostolic work in sambisa?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 7:45am On Apr 18, 2015
Ubenedictus:
how come you mentioned my name?

You foget you just resumed after your apostolic work in sambisa?

Lol. The person wey go sambisa know herself. cheesy
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 7:54am On Apr 18, 2015
From Today's Gospel: Jn 6:16-21

"When it was evening, the disciples of Jesus went down to the sea, embarked in a boat, and went across the sea to Capernaum. It had already grown dark, and Jesus had not yet come to them. The sea was stirred up because a strong wind was blowing. When they had rowed about three or four miles, they saw Jesus walking on the sea and coming near the boat, and they began to be afraid. But he said to them, “It is I. Do not be afraid.” They wanted to take him into the boat, but the boat immediately arrived at the shore to which they were heading".

...the sea was stirred up because a strong wind was blowing.... Are you disturbed? Is your soul restless...or indeed stirred up? What is that “strong wind” blowing in your life stirring up your heart, disturbing your peace? ... It had already grown dark, and Jesus was not yet with them....ah, the temptation is so thick right, or you’re nearing your faith or perseverance limit, the D day is drawing so close, you’re desperate for solution...it seems all dark, and Jesus too far to help... When they had rowed about three or four miles, they saw Jesus walking on the sea and coming near the boat...Did you notice something Rose2014, did you notice that he didn’t show up immediately? EgovinMma, Yes he waited for them to row in the storm for “three or four miles”. Now, how long have you been in the strong wind, what is your three miles, how close are you to it? Btoks my brother, one does not know, yet if you lose hope now, you may lose it all. For no power on earth can stop Him when He decides to step into the storm. Indeed Herzumpther, I tell you he will walk on waters, He will pass through walls, Oh, He will pull down even the bars of death, just to come to your rescue. Deogratias1, imagine the joy, the relief, the peace that will flow when we hear those words “It is I. Do not be afraid”. Won’t it be worth its wait? Won’t the surprise on the faces of the people be worth the tears, won’t the praises on your lips be worth the pains? Look at them Maureenah... They wanted to take him into the boat, but the boat immediately arrived at the shore to which they were heading. Hahahaha, they were still welcoming him, but they were already at shore, problem solved permanently! Alleluia! Justjify bro, at shore there is protection from storm, no fear from heavy wind, no darkness; for Jesus is present. So shall it be with you, for it shall be shore soon in your life dearly beloved, you who is now in the strong wind at sea.

From the Responsorial Psalm. PS 33:1-2, 4-5, 18-19

...Exult, you just, in the LORD; praise from the upright is fitting....SalC praise the lord, Kamsified praise Him, Rich4god sing His praise, Italo sound His praise abroad, Trendytessy lift your voice in praise , stunningJudy ring out with praise His name...praise the Lord all you brethren, for praise looks good on you.

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Kamsified: 11:07pm On Apr 18, 2015
Syncan:
From Today's Gospel: Jn 6:16-21

"When it was evening, the disciples of Jesus went down to the sea, embarked in a boat, and went across the sea to Capernaum. It had already grown dark, and Jesus had not yet come to them. The sea was stirred up because a strong wind was blowing. When they had rowed about three or four miles, they saw Jesus walking on the sea and coming near the boat, and they began to be afraid. But he said to them, “It is I. Do not be afraid.” They wanted to take him into the boat, but the boat immediately arrived at the shore to which they were heading".

...the sea was stirred up because a strong wind was blowing.... Are you disturbed? Is your soul restless...or indeed stirred up? What is that “strong wind” blowing in your life stirring up your heart, disturbing your peace? ... It had already grown dark, and Jesus was not yet with them....ah, the temptation is so thick right, or you’re nearing your faith or perseverance limit, the D day is drawing so close, you’re desperate for solution...it seems all dark, and Jesus too far to help... When they had rowed about three or four miles, they saw Jesus walking on the sea and coming near the boat...Did you notice something Rose2014, did you notice that he didn’t show up immediately? EgovinMma, Yes he waited for them to row in the storm for “three or four miles”. Now, how long have you been in the strong wind, what is your three miles, how close are you to it? Btoks my brother, one does not know, yet if you lose hope now, you may lose it all. For no power on earth can stop Him when He decides to step into the storm, Indeed Herzumpther, I tell you he will walk on waters, He will pass through walls, Oh, He will pull down even the bars of death, just to come to your rescue. Deogratias1, imagine the joy, the relief, the peace that will flow when we hear those words “It is I. Do not be afraid”. Won’t it be worth its wait? Won’t the surprise on the faces of the people be worth the tears, won’t the praises on your lips be worth the pains? Look at them Maureenah... They wanted to take him into the boat, but the boat immediately arrived at the shore to which they were heading. Hahahaha, they were still welcoming him, but they were already at shore, problem solved permanently! Alleluia! Justjify bro, at shore there is protection from storm, no fear from heavy wind, no darkness; for Jesus is present. So shall it be with you, for it shall be shore soon in your life dearly beloved, you who is now in the strong wind at sea.

From the Responsorial Psalm. PS 33:1-2, 4-5, 18-19

...Exult, you just, in the LORD; praise from the upright is fitting....SalC praise the lord, Kamsified praise Him, Rich4god sing His praise, Italo sound His praise abroad, Trendytessy lift your voice in praise , stunningJudy ring out with praise His name...praise the Lord all you brethren, for praise looks good on you.

Waoh God just used you to prepare this message for me. Though I need Jesus hurry (if it's ok) cos the water is nearing my neck cry

God bless you for this and pls keep me in your prayers(that's if u still have a space on your list)
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Nobody: 7:49am On Apr 19, 2015
Happy Mother's Day to my Mum,Grand Ma ,aunts and every catholic mother out there....you are loved kiss kiss
May our Mother Mary continue to be your strength and role model.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 2:43pm On Apr 19, 2015
Kamsified:

Waoh God just used you to prepare this message for me. Though I need Jesus hurry (if it's ok) cos the water is nearing my neck cry

God bless you for this and pls keep me in your prayers(that's if u still have a space on your list)

If you feel He is talking to you, then you're blessed. Do not worry about His timing at all, what difference did it make to Him that Lazarus was sick or dead? His timing is always perfect. God bless you too, you're on my list.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 3:07pm On Apr 19, 2015
Happy Mothering Sunday to all mothers...mentioning: debbie,okpurukata,bluerange,chineloSA,ify124, as a point of contact to you all.

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. I give thanks to my God upon every remembrance of you. Philippians 1:2-3

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Thread For Catholics by chineloSA(f): 3:43pm On Apr 19, 2015
Syncan:
Happy Mothering Sunday to all mothers...mentioning: debbie,okpurukata,bluerange,chineloSA,ify124, as a point of contact to you all.

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. I give thanks to my God upon every remembrance of you. Philippians 1:2-3

Thanks a lot. I've lost track cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by debbie(f): 8:39pm On Apr 19, 2015
thanks bro for remembering us.....to all the mothers out there,ya gazie
well there is plenty food to go round.
Syncan:

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:06am On Apr 21, 2015
Good morning brethren, do have a grace filled day smiley
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 7:28am On Apr 21, 2015
SalC:
Good morning brethren, do have a grace filled day smiley

Good morning, and where have you been angry
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 7:38am On Apr 21, 2015
Syncan:

Good morning, and where have you been angry
Chai sorry nah..been too busy lately that I can't help not being away.

Thanks for your inspiring posts smiley

How have you been?
Re: A Thread For Catholics by Syncan(m): 9:09am On Apr 21, 2015
SalC:
Chai sorry nah..been too busy lately that I can't help not being away.

Thanks for your inspiring posts smiley

How have you been?

I see. To God be the glory. I am fine, thanks. Just missing the brethren.
Re: A Thread For Catholics by SalC: 9:24am On Apr 21, 2015
Syncan:

I see. To God be the glory. I am fine, thanks. Just missing the brethren.
You all are always in my prayers, I miss you more.

(1) (2) (3) ... (344) (345) (346) (347) (348) (349) (350) ... (505) (Reply)

'How T.B. Joshua Took My Wife' – Pastor Peter Kayode Tells It All / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Members Of Church Of Satan Meets Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.