Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,950 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:06 AM

Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? (2173 Views)

Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better / Nigerian Films Are Now Becoming What You Can't Watch With Your Family These Days / Why American Films Are Ridiculous. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jun 28, 2008
Ive been watching a lot of yoruba films lately and i must say it aint going down well wit me. So many of them are so occultic and with a tinge of juju and witchcraft and all those sort in their films.
Is juju much of their culture or what?
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by TCUBE(m): 8:57am On Jun 29, 2008
when did u watch yoruba movies last ? i think u've lost your dam mind ,
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by ladybam(f): 2:13pm On Jun 29, 2008
because,you watch the ones with juju,
Juju man tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by AKO1(m): 3:11pm On Jun 29, 2008
babaearly:

Is juju much of their culture or what?

Juju is not much of their culture. It is 'small' of their culture.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Jun 30, 2008
TCUBE:

when did u watch yoruba movies last ? i think u've lost your dam mind ,
lady bam:

A_K_O:

Patriots to the Rescue!!! tongue
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by daffur: 9:35pm On Jun 30, 2008
grin Na wetin we knw dem for. so take am as u wan see dia show grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by Mesmerize(f): 10:42pm On Jun 30, 2008
Still Love the yoruba village movies anywaz. It's their english ones that's just plain terrible! tongue
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by Nobody: 3:51am On Jul 01, 2008
lady bam:

Hahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by TOH(f): 4:01am On Jul 01, 2008
if you tell me why your movies are about blood money

Ode.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by Mustay(m): 9:03am On Jul 01, 2008
A_K_O:

cheesy
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by romeo(m): 10:38am On Jul 01, 2008
Because Juju is part of our culture as Africans and Yoruba people are Africans!! I am igbo and there is juju in my place. Unless you want to tell me there is no juju in your place too?
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by pfeifer(f): 2:19am On Jul 02, 2008
from wat i under stand from the poster,he's only wondeing why almost all if not all yoruba movies have juju stories in them,and its the fact,there's no yoruba movie without juju in it,ithey make it seem like the yoruba peoples are all about juju , witchcraft and all.its terrible abeg
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by romeo(m): 8:41am On Jul 02, 2008
I have never watched Yoruba movies and I have no intention of watching it either. I don't know the amount of juju we are talking about here.

TOH:

if you tell me why your movies are about blood money

Ode.

everytime you go dey find trouble tongue, answer the damn question or shut up. everything must not be my people and your people thing tongue tongue
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by DisGuy: 6:24pm On Jul 02, 2008
pfeifer:

from what i under stand from the poster,he's only wondeing why almost all if not all yoruba movies have juju stories in them,and its the fact,there's no yoruba movie without juju in it,ithey make it seem like the yoruba peoples are all about juju , witchcraft and all.its terrible abeg

how many Yoruba films have you seen?
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by Nobody: 10:44am On Jul 03, 2008
This is just going to be another controversial thread. Am outta here!
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by alexmakaay(m): 12:18pm On Jul 03, 2008
romeo:

I have never watched Yoruba movies and I have no intention of watching it either. I don't know the amount of juju we are talking about here.

me i wonda oooo!! never seen any yoruba film,save the drama of a thing, not matured enough. just check out ibo movies,moreover their stars top most in nigeria n beyond. therefore, i will categorise my statement :ibos-movie/film, yoruba-drama, hausa ,
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by Mustay(m): 2:56pm On Jul 03, 2008
ilugunboy:

This is just going to be another controversial thread.

especially when you read comments like this:
alexmakaay:

me i wonda oooo!! never seen any yoruba film,save the drama of a thing, not matured enough. just check out ibo movies,moreover their stars top most in nigeria n beyond. therefore, i will categorise my statement :ibos-movie/film, yoruba-drama, hausa ,
sad
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by aplus1: 6:42pm On Jul 03, 2008
you can watch Yoruba movies at www.rubamovies.com
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by steaming(f): 2:26pm On Jul 04, 2008
I have once asked that same quetion. On DSTV/AFmag, they show mainly yoruba moies every sunday afternoon/evening and because my big sis cant keep her eyes off Afmag, i am subjected to AFmag once i remain in the sitting room.

I must say and i am not exagerating, there is no single yoruba movie i have watched without juju in it. When i asked some yoruba folks, they insisted that it is not juju but a form of religion and i kept wondering since i heard that. If that is thier own of religion i wonder what the main juju/voodoo looks like.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by Mustay(m): 3:39pm On Jul 04, 2008
steaming:

I must say and i am not exagerating, there is no single yoruba movie i have watched without juju in it. When i asked some yoruba folks, they insisted that it is not juju but a form of religion and i kept wondering since i heard that. If that is their own of religion i wonder what the main juju/voodoo looks like.

You think in modern day times, people don't consult ifa?

Infact, their festival attracts thousands especially Americans and South Americans
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by Hardballer(m): 6:06pm On Jul 04, 2008
thts what sells, or then again it cld be lack of creativity
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by RedHotChic(f): 7:44am On Jul 05, 2008
There are yoruba movies with no jujuism but they are quite few. I think the YMG should do something about it because all of us are not into juju and few non yorubas that I tried to introduce into yoruba movies always complain the same thing after seeing one or two. I also suggest they put more money into the production like the ibo movies so that it'll at least look good on screen. The background noise is very annoying and thats why i quit watching them lately.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by CH3COO(m): 7:48am On Jul 05, 2008
RedHotChic:

There are yoruba movies with no jujuism but they are quite few. I think the YMG should do something about it because all of us are not into juju and few non yorubas that I tried to introduce into yoruba movies always complain the same thing after seeing one or two.
It's been like that since the beginning of time as part of the tradition.  I suppose the adage "tradition dies hard" is applicable here. Some like it, others don't.  If your friends are complaining about it then simply divert them to the yoruba movies with no "juju" - as you pointed out, there are plenty other yoruba films with no jj, correct?
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by Mustay(m): 8:09am On Jul 05, 2008
correct
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by RedHotChic(f): 6:14pm On Jul 05, 2008
It's been like that since the beginning of time as part of the tradition. I suppose the adage "tradition dies hard" is applicable here.
The question now is whether juju is truly part of the yoruba tradition or an evil machination seen in every culture in the world. Is it something to be proud of or something to be ashamed of?
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by CH3COO(m): 1:31am On Jul 06, 2008
RedHotChic:

The question now is whether juju is truly part of the yoruba tradition or an evil machination seen in every culture in the world. Is it something to be proud of or something to be ashamed of?
Unless you have some really uber-thick glasses that hinder your sight, I don't see how you can disprove the existence of juju in the yoruba tradition.  EVen if they aren't the first people to practice it, the koko is that they practice it.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by Nobody: 2:47am On Jul 06, 2008
as far as i am concerned even western entertainment is obsessed with 'witchcraft' just because its in technocolour and wears stilettos does it make it ANY different.

need i mention
CHARMED
GHOST WHISPERER
BUFFY
ANGEL
DEAD ZONE
and a bunch of others
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by RedHotChic(f): 8:08am On Jul 06, 2008
Unless you have some really uber-thick glasses that hinder your sight, I don't see how you can disprove the existence of juju in the yoruba tradition. EVen if they aren't the first people to practice it, the koko is that they practice it.
Am not denying the fact that there is juju in yorubaland but what the yoruba movies are telling other tribes in Nigeria and some younger yoruba generation that are alien to the culture is that juju is widely practiced and is the crux of every day living among yoruba people. i've heard non yoruba people make such sly comments to me before and it wasn't preety on me. Don't ibos and hausas practice juju? Why will you put it like juju is a yoruba trademark? Let me make it clear to you that in my immediate family, we don't practice juju.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by CH3COO(m): 8:15am On Jul 06, 2008
You asked if juju is part of yoruba culture, I answered. I didn't say "ALL YORUBAS" practice juju. But it is important you acknowledge the prevalence of juju in yoruba culture. That's all.

If those ignorant people make such sly comments in your presence be sure to scold them.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by RedHotChic(f): 11:14am On Jul 06, 2008
But it is important you acknowledge the prevalence of juju in yoruba culture.
Wouldn't it be better to say that juju is going into extinction in yorubaland due to the prevalence of fire brand christianity? Our movie makers should put that into perspective and present their stories accordingly.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by CH3COO(m): 6:34pm On Jul 06, 2008
RedHotChic:

Wouldn't it be better to say that juju is going into extinction in yorubaland due to the prevalence of fire brand christianity? Our movie makers should put that into perspective and present their stories accordingly.
No, it is not going into extinction any time soon.
The movies showcase everything present in our culture. There are movies geared towards christianity, witchery, and so forth. They are already adjusted accordingly.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by RedHotChic(f): 6:40pm On Jul 06, 2008
No, it is not going into extinction any time soon.
The movies showcase everything present in our culture. There are movies geared towards christianity, witchery, and so forth. They are already adjusted accordingly.
Whatever! how many yoruba christians still believe in juju? It's the non yoruba christians that still practice that thing abeg and we have more christians in yorubaland than any other religious group so do the math.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nta International / Accident Scene From An Upcoming Nollywood Movie That Looks Real(photo) / Download Black widow here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.