Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,787 members, 7,827,899 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:52 PM

Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? (2176 Views)

Opinion: Nigerian Films Are Getting Better / Nigerian Films Are Now Becoming What You Can't Watch With Your Family These Days / Why American Films Are Ridiculous. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by CH3COO(m): 6:50pm On Jul 06, 2008
RedHotChic:

Whatever! how many yoruba christians still believe in juju? It's the non yoruba christians that still practice that thing abeg and we have more christians in yorubaland than any other religious group so do the math.
non yoruba christians or non christian yorubas? lol.   you forgot non-mus-lims too.

Apparently it is still very common.  I think your focus is on Lagos as opposed to the villages where tradition is deeply rooted and most of these things are widely practiced.  Of course I'm not saying they shouldn't create more movies without the juju.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by RedHotChic(f): 6:00pm On Jul 07, 2008
Apparently it is still very common. I think your focus is on Lagos as opposed to the villages where tradition is deeply rooted and most of these things are widely practiced. Of course I'm not saying they shouldn't create more movies without the juju.
It's still there but not like the movie makers make it to be. Do you know that some yorubas cannot go near their town because of fear of juju and it's not as if they have proof for this juju but they've been watching too many yoruba movies.
Re: Why Are Yoruba Films Are So Full Of Juju? by CH3COO(m): 10:22am On Jul 09, 2008
RedHotChic:

It's still there but not like the movie makers make it to be. Do you know that some yorubas cannot go near their town because of fear of juju and it's not as if they have proof for this juju but they've been watching too many yoruba movies.

blah blah juju is all I hear.  You are barking down the wrong tree.  It is not the responsibility of the movie industry to regulate our people.  They are there by-and-large to entertain -- and to some extent maybe educate us.   Film makers are influenced by revenue and are always looking to maximize their influx of cash.  If these kinds of films are what generate this large lump sum of money for them, nothing you say will be enough to convince them to put a stop to it.  Take a look at hollywood, how many superhero movies have they churned out in the past few years?  . . . Before you answer that question ask yourself if you have ever physically encountered any such superheroes in your life?  None, right?  Should they suddenly dismiss what makes them money based on conditions that it leads people to formulate bloated thoughts that there are sky-soaring superheroes out there waiting to save the world? Killing the juju in nollywood will not magically deflate the already-circulated belief that juju is our moniker.  Don't count on nollywood to save the day.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Martin Lawrence Or Jim Carey, Who Is The Best? / A Private Lounge For All Things QUANTICO... / Movielanders, Come In Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.