Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,029 members, 7,841,905 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 04:50 PM

Awka: Anambra's Capital - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awka: Anambra's Capital (24627 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen In Awka Town / Flood After Rain In Awka Anambra State Capital-pictures / Bomb Scare In Awka, Anambra State According To STV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by Nobody: 10:49pm On Oct 12, 2013
I pains me that serious effort are not made to build awka into a modern city. development is relatively rapid but if things continue the way it is, awka will still end up like onitsha.

1 Like

Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by Afam4eva(m): 10:53pm On Oct 12, 2013
centje: I pains me that serious effort are not made to build awka into a modern city. development is relatively rapid but if things continue the way it is, awka will still end up like onitsha.

Awka is urbanizing instead of developing aand it may become like Onitsha in no distant future.
Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by ak47mann(m): 10:54pm On Oct 12, 2013
asha 80: iyienu hospital is actually owned by one the church denomination...not sure if it catholic or anglican....what you are seeing here is as a result of the financial assistance(wrongly called donation) that he has been giving the churches to repair ,upgrade and furnish hospitals owned by these churches...i guess it is the same thing happening to schools both primary and secondary handed over back to their original church owners....this hosptal is in ogidi.
you are absolutely correct,churches are handling all their projects very well am glad he pass those responsibilities to churches, that way he can focus on other matters. cool
Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by Chino72: 11:04pm On Oct 12, 2013
centje: I pains me that serious effort are not made to build awka into a modern city. development is relatively rapid but if things continue the way it is, awka will still end up like onitsha.

No not at all. There is a UN-Habitat Masterplan that is being implemented now to guiding the development of the city for the next 25 years to come. Even the same masterplan is equally being gradually implemented in Onitsha.

Awka will remain serene as a resting point after the hustling and bustling in the economic cities of Onitsha and Nnewi. Again Awka boasts of good number of hotels, clubs, relaxation spots etc. Awka can never go commercial because it is mainly civil servants and student that dominated the city.
Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by Chino72: 11:09pm On Oct 12, 2013
Afam4eva:
Awka is urbanizing instead of developing aand it may become like Onitsha in no distant future.

As I said Awka is purely civil servants and students city. It will remain that way as a resting and relaxation point. The only snag is this Onitsha-Awka-Enugu federal highway which presently being reconstructed. Even the UN-Habitat masterplan recommended flyovers at Unizik junction, Uzu-Awka Junction, Aroma Junction and Amawbia junction. Obiano has said that he will follow it up and get it implemented fully from where Obi stopped, same as Onitsha and Nnewi.
Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by FreeGlobe(f): 11:27pm On Oct 12, 2013
Unizik junction needs a complete flyover ( not just pedestrian bridge)that will connect the two divides of Awka with both connecting roads dualized and expanded.. Same as Aroma junction. There has to be active local government chairman that will tar inner streets, most streets in Anambra are not tarred, dusty and disorganized. There is no doubt there would be a massive demolition in order to restore aesthetic. Most of the single lanes will have to be expanded and dualized too. Without these in place, Awka will remain as it is. I just pray the next governor will not be petty and visionless as Peter obi. He has to start by establishing a development agencies for Awka, Onitsha and Nnewi which will coordinate these things and enforce planning.
Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by Chamackh(m): 11:28pm On Oct 12, 2013
I am from Enugu Aninri precisely, peter towers above any other governor in the East in terms of performance, we should note that he has not borrowed a dime. Enugu has been the capital of Amambra before 1991, developments are not spreading the way it ought to, every thing is concentrated in the city, Chino I like the good job you are doing

2 Likes

Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by smithjanetstore: 11:28pm On Oct 12, 2013
this is all u ve got from a whole state of many square kilometer oga oo so with this shit you people come down here and start claiming u people are the one developing nigeria while ur states are undevelop

I CANT LAUGH OOOOOO
Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by Chino72: 11:34pm On Oct 12, 2013
smithjanetstore: this is all u ve got from a whole state of many square kilometer oga oo so with this shit you people come down here and start claiming u people are the one developing nigeria while ur states are undevelop

I CANT LAUGH OOOOOO

What is that your state in the ofemmmanu land? lmao..

At least the last we checked the least SE state is far more advanced and looks modern than the mud houses and rusted zincs infested SW state capitals. Fact!
If you doubt me I will post the pictures of the capital western region- ibadam with its mud houses and rusted roofs. I think yeroba land should be demolished entirely to give way for decent and organized development just like it is seen in the East.

5 Likes

Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by Chino72: 11:50pm On Oct 12, 2013
FreeGlobe: Unizik junction needs a complete flyover ( not just pedestrian bridge)that will connect the two divides of Awka with both connecting roads dualized and expanded.. Same as Aroma junction. There has to be active local government chairman that will tar inner streets, most streets in Anambra are not tarred, dusty and disorganized. There is no doubt there would be a massive demolition in order to restore aesthetic. Most of the single lanes will have to be expanded and dualized too. Without these in place, Awka will remain as it is. I just pray the next governor will not be petty and visionless as Peter obi. He has to start by establishing a development agencies for Awka, Onitsha and Nnewi which will coordinate these things and enforce planning.

All those things are gradually being implemented. The next gov will continue the implementation where Obi stopped. The masterplan runs for the next 25years to guide the development of the major cities of Awka, Onitsha and Nnewi. Anambra can only get better..
Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by Nobody: 12:07am On Oct 13, 2013
Chino72:

No not at all. There is a UN-Habitat Masterplan that is being implemented now to guiding the development of the city for the next 25 years to come. Even the same masterplan is equally being gradually implemented in Onitsha.

Awka will remain serene as a resting point after the hustling and bustling in the economic cities of Onitsha and Nnewi. Again Awka boasts of good number of hotels, clubs, relaxation spots etc. Awka can never go commercial because it is mainly civil servants and student that dominated the city.
we don't usually have problem with importing foreign ideas. our problem is in proper implementation, maintainance and continuity. nigege may enter the seat and do away with the un plan or ibeto may bribe planners to site factory within the heart of the city. am yet to appreciate the masterplan, we will re-visit this issue in 5 year (2018) or maybe in the so called vision 2020...even when its clear we're moving blindly torwads the vision grin

awka can be among the best cities in nigeria in no distant time, 'cause anambarians have the money to build up the city, but the development needs to be organised. and this requires dedicated commitment from the govt in terms of basic infrastructure, modern town planning, creating a peaceful atmosphere. ..less political tension. we must learn to work with foresight, its of huge economic loss (to the owner, to the state and to nation) to collapse a building 5 years after, to build 6 lane road. I really dont know what our leaders see when they travel out sad its just a pity...
Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by ak47mann(m): 12:10am On Oct 13, 2013
New silo project that means anambra state will soon have too much food to feed both anambra and enugu state

Food storage facility in igbariam built this year to retain 250000 metric tonnes of grains

BY federal govt cool

Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by Nobody: 12:10am On Oct 13, 2013
Afam4eva:
I just pray it doesnt....however, the present state of things is not encouraging.
Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by Nobody: 12:15am On Oct 13, 2013
ak47mann: Food storage facility in igbariam built this year to retain 250000 metric tonnes of grains

BY federal govt cool
the federal govt is building this facility in all the states. I dont know where that of enugu is cited, maybe they are yet to reach the state.
its a very nice development.

1 Like

Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by Chino72: 12:19am On Oct 13, 2013
centje: we don't usually have problem with importing foreign ideas. our problem is in proper implementation, maintainance and continuity. nigege may enter the seat and do away with the un plan or ibeto may bribe planners to site factory within the heart of the city. am yet to appreciate the masterplan, we will re-visit this issue in 5 year (2018) or maybe in the so called vision 2020...even when its clear we're moving blindly torwads the vision grin

awka can be among the best cities in nigeria in no distant time, 'cause anambarians have the money to build up the city, but the development needs to be organised. and this requires dedicated commitment from the govt in terms of basic infrastructure, modern town planning, creating a peaceful atmosphere. ..less political tension. we must learn to work with foresight, its of huge economic loss (to the owner, to the state and to nation) to collapse a building 5 years after, to build 6 lane road. I really dont know what our leaders see when they travel out sad its just a pity...

Of course the masterplan was meant to be implemented and am sure it will be implemented to the later. And like as I said earlier the implementation has begun, like in Awka, the Amawbia bye-pass is being dualized, they have just completed the demolition. As for Onitsha they started with Headbridge and down to Zik's Junction to Nkpor and continued to Inland-Town, GRA etc.
Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by smithjanetstore: 12:34am On Oct 13, 2013
@chinko72 ode ni e sha didirin

Ibadan is an acient & historique city in nigeria at the junction of the savannah and the forest and the third largest metropolitan area, by population, in Nigeria, after Lagos and Kano, Ibadan is also the largest metropolitan geographical area. Ibadan is the largest and one of the most populous city in the country and the third in Africa after Cairo and Johannesburg.

Ibadan is a prominent transit point between the coastal region and the areas to the north. Ibadan had been the centre of administration of the old Western Region since the days of the British colonial rule till date, and parts of the city's ancient protective walls still stand to this day.

FIRST TV STATION IN AFRICA
FIRST SKYSCRAPPER IN AFRICA
FIRST UNIVERSITY IN NIGERIA

Have ever been to some areas in ibadan ie challenge bodija bashorun akobo dubge mokola, these areas are 100% better than that of yeye state, not sigth seeing while seating in a vehicle like mumu heading to ur so called state u are not even ashamed of urself this is all you could provide as pics of ur state oga ooo

ODE
Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by Chino72: 12:37am On Oct 13, 2013
[s]
smithjanetstore: @chinko72 ode ni e sha didirin

Ibadan is an acient & historique city in nigeria at the junction of the savannah and the forest and the third largest metropolitan area, by population, in Nigeria, after Lagos and Kano, Ibadan is also the largest metropolitan geographical area. Ibadan is the largest and one of the most populous city in the country and the third in Africa after Cairo and Johannesburg.

Ibadan is a prominent transit point between the coastal region and the areas to the north. Ibadan had been the centre of administration of the old Western Region since the days of the British colonial rule till date, and parts of the city's ancient protective walls still stand to this day.

Have ever been to some areas in ibadan ie challenge bodija bashorun akobo dubge mokola, these areas are 100% better than that of yeye state, not sigth seeing while seating in a vehicle like mumu heading to ur so called state u are not even ashamed of urself this is all you could provide as pics of ur state oga ooo

ODE
[/s]

TRASH!

Ibadam is Nigeria's biggest slum. The dirtiest city in Nigeria without planning, no sanitation, no decent housing, poverty infested etc.

Don't you get it? Maybe I should post pictures of the slum called Ibadam for you to get it into your amala infested head. lmao

4 Likes

Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by ak47mann(m): 12:39am On Oct 13, 2013
centje: the federal govt is building this facility in all the states. I dont know where that of enugu is cited, maybe they are yet to reach the state.
its a very nice development.
i can attest that in agricultural sector GEJ has done well..
Look at a Rural road in awgbu-ogbu in anambra state cool

1 Like

Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by ChimaAdeoye: 1:29am On Oct 13, 2013
ifyalways:
Very true!
I hope they also upgraded the nursing school,used to be one of the best.
Yes, Gov. Obi's partnership with private agencies and the church to transform the healthcare and education sectors have not been for nothing.Those sectors are indeed being transformed rapidly.He didn't just give them money for nothing, he gave money for specific projects which many have been completed already.
See Dan's recent trip to Anambra.

Holy Rosary school of hospital and school of midwifery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vImAmGM6uj4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNqe2W_MGUY

School of nursing Nkpor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2W0jwwcg4o

St. Charles Borromeo Hospital

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYEAjQNovLo

Our Lady of Lourdes Ihiala

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe4nLO0RPbg

And come to think that Gov. Obi built most of his Projects at the Legendary Iyienu Hospital Ogidi, and some other hospitals which were not visited by Dan, it shows that Gov. Obi indeed spread his projects across the length and breath of the state and not merely only in the state capital.

4 Likes

Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by Chino72: 11:03am On Oct 13, 2013
This is part of what he did on the employment generation and industrialization..

Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by Chino72: 11:05am On Oct 13, 2013
Its very hard to assess Obi using just one city, because he made sure that all his projects are spread all over the state.

More countryside roads and bridges to open up the state..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIywjSI1LYk
Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by Chino72: 11:10am On Oct 13, 2013
This is 1st & 2nd Onitaha Business Park..

The Parks attracted to Onitsha more corporate businesses like the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE), financial Institutions etc.

Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by Chino72: 11:55am On Oct 13, 2013
Inside GRA-Onitsha

Like as I said earlier it is extremely difficult to assess Obi without bringing all the sectors, all the cities of the state and all the communities of the state together. He made sure that all sectors and all parts of the state benefited from all the projects. He never wasted all the time and resources focusing on the state capital only while other parts of the state rots away, just like some other states has done.

Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by phantom(m): 4:12pm On Oct 13, 2013
bestviewer:

Show us present state of orlu and owerri. All the roads okorosha started since 2011 has been abandoned. Contractors are not paid. Show us roads in rural imo state. Show us what okorosha is doing on health sector, show us what he doing on education, show us what he is doing on employment generation. All the roads okorosha painted were built by Mbakwe.

Lemme tell you imo state is still in the woods. Until they get an Obi they will remain stagnant as far as development is concern. Obi has touched all the sectors: education, health, urban/rural development, employment generation etc. Obi achieved all these without borrowing a dime, and the state remains the least indebted state in Nigeria. Can you beat that!

Open a thread and show us what okorosha achieved with the 70billion loan+federal allocation+13 derivation. Show us now!
what we need in imo is an ngige NOT an obi!
Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by ketoprofen(m): 10:08pm On Oct 14, 2013
smithjanetstore: @chinko72 ode ni e sha didirin

ODE

Wikipedia tnz.

and what has this got to do with the frustrated and crappy look of the town?
U are not ashamed u are describing Ibadan of 1960 instead of 2013.
After mentioning all these ' firsts' one would imagine the place should be small London by now but in reality, its a town whose urbanization stopped in the 50s.

At least Awka get hope for cosmetic surgery but the only thing SW needs is demolition and starting afresh.
Even older cities: Lagos, Kaduna, kano look better.
Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by ketoprofen(m): 10:19pm On Oct 14, 2013
This Onitsha GRA is breathtaking
Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by plaindealer: 11:25pm On Oct 14, 2013
ak47mann:
New silo project that means anambra state will soon have too much food to feed both anambra and enugu state

Food storage facility in igbariam built this year to retain 250000 metric tonnes of grains

BY federal govt cool

No Grains in Over N140 Billion Silos

Empty grain storage silos despite over N140bn investment

During the late President Umaru Musa Yar'adua administration, a whopping sum of N50 billion was included in the 2009 budget projections of the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Water Resources for the construction of grain storage silos across the country. By 2010, reports said an additional N96 billion had been released, making a total of N146 billion. At that time it was projected that ongoing silos projects and the construction of new ones in order to bolster food security was meant to raise the national strategic storage capacity to 1 million tonnes.

The original intention was to have the grain storage silos located in different grains producing states, among them Ekiti, Kebbi, Zamfara, Borno, Imo, FCT and Bayelsa States. They were supposed to have 100,000 metric tonnes capacity. Other silos with the storage capacity of 25,000 metric tonnes were to be constructed in Yobe, Bauchi, Osun, Nasarawa, Taraba, Ogun, Anambra, Kogi, Sokoto, Akwa Ibom, Adamawa, Kano and Katsina States. The silos were meant to store rice, beans, maize, soya beans, millet, wheat, and other food items.

For over 20 years now, government had made plans to build silos in order to boost food security, but the project has always been bungled due to corruption. For instance, a case involving a silos meant to be built in Akwa Ibom had to be taken to an Abuja High Court over an allegation that the cost of its construction had been inflated by over N500 million. Also, in 2010, there were allegations against the Ministry of Agriculture that the sum of N96 billion had been removed from Ecological Funds to fund the silos project, but the grain silos have not been constructed.

Three years after its commissioning, the one in Angwan Maigizo, Jama'a Local Government Area, Birnin Gwari in Birnin Gwari LGA and that in Saminaka in Lere LGA have been abandoned. A resident of Angwan Maigizo, one Nuhu Bawa, had complained to our correspondent thus: "No single grain had been stored here since the commissioning in February 2009. The few bags of grains which were lodged for testing during the commissioning have decayed. We want Governor Patrick Ibrahim Yakowa to swing into action by ensuring that work commences at the silos because the problem most farmers in Kaduna State have is lack places to store they excess produce. A lot get wasted along the line. The place that is supposed to help the farmers preserve their food had been taken over by grasses. These well-planned flowers in the premises of the grain silos are now losing shape as the vicinity is gradually becoming infested with snakes."

Just as it is in Bauchi and Kaduna, so is the story of the silos built in many other states. Sunday Trust's checks revealed that the silos in Makurdi, Benue State, store grains far below its capacity. The silos in Lafia, Nasarawa State are still under construction. In Ekiti State, the one constructed along the Federal Polytechnic Road, Ado Ekiti has been lying there empty, as no activities are taking place at its site.

All attempts made by our reporters to find out what quantities of grains government has at its grains reserve centres across the country did not yield positive results.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201210210615.html?viewall=1

Just trying to get you down back to reality...
Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by Nobody: 5:40am On Oct 15, 2013
plaindealer: For over 20 years now, government had made plans to build silos in order to boost food security, but the project has always been bungled due to corruption

@Plaindealer.., the problem with Nigeria is not making plans or releasing money but GETTING THE JOB DONE. This much was stated clearly in the report you quoted, which I reproduced above. For 20 solid years, this plan has been on the table but could not materialize because (according to your source) " the project has always been bungled due to corruption"

For those 20 years, plans were made and money released without success. Something must have CHANGED to make projects that were impossible for 20 years to suddenly become possible. It is the focus, determination, hardwork and TRANSPARENCY of President Jonathan and his team. Yes, he continued from what Yar Adua was already doing and that was the RIGHT thing to do. The most important thing is getting the JOB DONE which this president is EXCELLENT at. Nigerians dont care about who makes the plans, projections, awards contracts or releases money. What they care about is who gets the JOB DONE.

We know you so much hate this president but kindly crawl back to your shell. Do NOT derail this thread. Thank you in advance.

2 Likes

Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by Nobody: 6:01am On Oct 15, 2013
I only pity those who compare Chime and Peter Obi. I'm on ground in Enugu and sincerely speaking, besides the road construction and street lights in the city centre, I cant see any other achievement of Sullivan Chime. Even the reticulation of pipe-borne water in Enugu has been going on forever. The roads and street lights are very good but they are not enough. Where is the investment in education, health, job creation, rural roads, rural electrification, agriculture, etc. If Chime continues to govern Enugu State like this for 20 years, how will the mass of the unemployed in Enugu State get jobs? In fact, if not for Christianity, he'll only succeed in creating a fertile ground for Igbo version of Boko Haram in Enugu.

Unfortunately, people only see the roads and streets lights from which they make far reaching conclusions. I think assessment of govt should be whollistic so that the govt would be told areas they'r doing well and areas they'r failing.

1 Like

Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by GeneralJ(m): 6:15am On Oct 15, 2013
Very archaic style of building, why are the pipes on the schools/houses still outside of the structre, shouldn't they be within the walls,
Also, why is the name of a firestation Awka ultramodern fire station, wow, what is wrong with people what is the need for the ultra modern in the name
there are many other problems i will come back and add

Can't beleive people still build like this in 2013
Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by Chino72: 6:18am On Oct 15, 2013
^

These are all schools in rural Anambra, why not post school in your rural state let us do the comparison and know which one is 21st century.
Re: Awka: Anambra's Capital by GeneralJ(m): 6:33am On Oct 15, 2013
ak47mann: the nursing school is looking like world class indeed obi really try in upgrading all these run down critical infrastructures in the state.View inside iyenu upgraded hospital cool

so because of water fountain it is now world class abi chaii, please you really need to rethink your definition of world calss

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Those Asking Me To Account For Abacha’s Loot Are silly — Obasanjo / "No Cold War Between Tinubu And Aregbesola" - Bola Tinubu / Primate Ayodele: Muslim-Muslim Ticket A Jihadist Agenda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.