Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,527 members, 7,826,980 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:07 AM

Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? (8496 Views)

Can One Lose His Salvation? / Was Judas Saved Or Did He Lose His Salvation? / What Shall It Profit A Man To Gain The Whole World And Lose His Soul (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 06, 2013
Precious G:

Even as virgins, they lost the chance they had. That is the point about losing your Salvation

I get ur point. But even though they missed the first resurrection the foolish virgins still came forth in the second ressurection and were judged according to their works. They were virgins and their works was pure before God and they entered into the Kingdom.

Last bullet:
Your nature on earth, you cant lose it no matter ur mistakes.

Judas was not a believer, he was not saved so he didnt lose his salvation because he did'nt have salvation in the first place. When Jesus called him, he knew was the son of perdition.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Mintayo(m): 3:13pm On Oct 06, 2013
Missy_B: Once saved, forever saved.
However, this doesn't mean you're immune to/from temptation. When you sin, you ought to remorsefully confess your sin and ask for forgiveness. You don't go through the whole process of accepting Christ again.
The salvation Christ procured for us is eternal. Your assignment as a born again is perseverance.

my sister,i beg there is nothing like onece saved forever saved o,biko,i beg.
What about a christain that became an athiest,is he still saved,abegi o.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by PreciousG1(m): 3:14pm On Oct 06, 2013
A lot has been said about this topic. I believe the problem here is the confusion of the term Salvation. Salvation is the end result of our faithful service after we believe. You only receive salvation at the end of life's race not before.
Romans 13:11 gives the knowledge that where we are isn't the desired place but we're closer to it than when we believed and started the race of our Salvation. Salvation is the ultimate reward we hope to receive after our faithful service here on earth.
Apostles of Christ likened the Christian Life to a race or a competition with rules that must be followed. Where such rules are not followed diligently till the end, we run in vain. Receiving the Holy Spirit is the commission to start the race. If you fail, you lose.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Oct 06, 2013
Mintayo:

Correction:

A Christian CANNOT become an atheist. Maybe he used to go to Church, Read Bible, Pay Tithe, Preach. All these things are good but that is not what makes someone a Christian.

No man can call Jesus the Christ except by the Spirit of God. To be a Christian you must have a SCRIPTURAL encounter with the SUPERNATURAL.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by PreciousG1(m): 3:20pm On Oct 06, 2013
ariseandshine:

I get ur point. But even though they missed the first resurrection the foolish virgins still came forth in the second ressurection and were judged according to their works. They were virgins and their works was pure before God and they entered into the Kingdom.

Last bullet:

Judas was not a believer, he was not saved so he didnt lose his salvation because he did'nt have salvation in the first place. When Jesus called him, he knew was the son of perdition.

Talking about Better, First, Second Resurrections is outside the scope of this Topic. But just to mention it, no matter what state a person is before death, there's resurrection for all. It's the judgment that will determine where everyone stands
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by PreciousG1(m): 3:23pm On Oct 06, 2013
ariseandshine:

Last bullet:

Judas was not a believer, he was not saved so he didn't lose his salvation because he didn't have salvation in the first place. When Jesus called him, he knew was the son of perdition.

Talking about Better, First, Second Resurrections is outside the scope of this Topic. But just to mention it, no matter what state a person is before death, there's resurrection for all. It's the judgment that will determine where everyone stands
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Oct 06, 2013
If once saved forever saved is a valid xtian teaching, the Bible wouldn't have warned us against taking the body n blood of Christ unworthily. Christ except u take the Communion, you have no part in me.If we cannot eat the body of Christ, we cannot inherit the kingdom.
If u deny Christ you lose your salvation 1john2:23.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Oct 06, 2013
Ubenedictus: the problem with this explanation is that the bible discribes salvation as a present continous reality. The christian here on earth can be discribe as saved, being saved and will be saved all at the same time.

True!

Every 'Christian' is expected to live the life Christ led and that means dying to sin right from when one is exposed to Christ. If one lives as Christ then the individual can be described as saved, even while in the flesh.

But the ish comes when we realise that a number of Christians find themselves in sin at one point or the other, hence this salvation becomes elusive each time we fall back to sin.

Given the uncertainty that hovers around each human, we can't really say that the individual will remain faithful without having recourse to that life of sin at some point. Thus, no one is truly saved until that individual loses the ability to fall back to sin at death, which is when we can say surely that one is saved or not.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Oct 06, 2013
Precious G:

Just had to mention it.
Once saved forever saved. Whats ur view on that?

Personally:
I think its scriptural but i dont believe it the way the pentecostals preach it cos they don't give room for holiness.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by sawme: 3:40pm On Oct 06, 2013
The truth is u can't b saved nd lose salvation is like telling some1 in trouble enter dat whole hide but it does not stop u from dying,been save is a key 2 salvation not on till u r save u huv no salvation nd permit me 2 say dat been save is desame thing as salvation so any1 dat Is not save has no salvation.if u want 2 know u r save give urslf 5min self judgment nd u will know if or not u r safe Christianity is not all about going 2 church nd clap alone it's about been right dat alone can earn u ur salvation
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Mintayo(m): 3:53pm On Oct 06, 2013
ariseandshine:

Correction:

A Christian CANNOT become an atheist. Maybe he used to go to Church, Read Bible, Pay Tithe, Preach. All these things are good but that is not what makes someone a Christian.

No man can call Jesus the Christ except by the Spirit of God. To be a Christian you must have a SCRIPTURAL encounter with the SUPERNATURAL.
owk,but there is nothing like once save forever saved.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by topfet(m): 3:57pm On Oct 06, 2013
The answer to this very question is one of the major foundations of the doctrines of churches today. To answer this question, I want to start by saying that the Bible can never contradict itself, for God is not an author of confusion.
Salvation from start to finish is all of grace through faith in Jesus Christ. since the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, God has ceased to relate with us based on our performance but solely based on the merit of His son. That is why God no longer count our sins against us today 1cor 5:19, Romans 4:8. He has given to us the perfect righteousness of Jesus Christ, this is the righteousness Paul referred to "righteousness without the law " Romans 3:21 meaning that you can't lose this righteousness when u "disobey the law" but this is so strange to the human heart.
So, friends you can't lose your salvation in Christ because God has eternally justified you in Christ and no one can lay a charge to God's elect. THIS IS THE GOSPEL. why many are afraid of preaching this is because they feel it will make people sin more but on the contrary, It makes you fall in Love with God and makes Christianity a real relationship with God and not Just a plan to escape hell fire.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by topfet(m): 4:03pm On Oct 06, 2013
sawme: The truth is u can't b saved nd lose salvation is like telling some1 in trouble enter dat whole hide but it does not stop u from dying,been save is a key 2 salvation not on till u r save u huv no salvation nd permit me 2 say dat been save is desame thing as salvation so any1 dat Is not save has no salvation.if u want 2 know u r save give urslf 5min self judgment nd u will know if or not u r safe Christianity is not all about going 2 church nd clap alone it's about been right dat alone can earn u ur salvation
No, I disagree with that point that Christianity is about been right. if that is the case, then there is no difference between Christianity any any other belief system that advocate right living and that is where we get it wrong. It is the right believing that God unconditionally loves you that produces right living and not the other way round.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by PreciousG1(m): 4:16pm On Oct 06, 2013
ariseandshine:

Just had to mention it.
Once saved forever saved. Whats ur view on that?

Personally:
I think its scriptural but i dont believe it the way the pentecostals preach it cos they don't give room for holiness.

I believe Salvation is the ultimate reward we hope to obtain at the end of the day. But saved in this concept, to me, means conversion. That point where you decided to follow Christ and the Christian faith. We are converted by faith. Now we have to add to our faith, works. It's these works that would be tried.
Conversion is once, but the works after conversion is the determining factor in the race.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by topfet(m): 4:18pm On Oct 06, 2013
2 timothy 2:15 makes us understand that the truth can be RIGHTLY DIVIDED.
What good works did you do to become saved? in like manner, good works does not sustain your salvation but proves your Love for God and earns you rewards. Like I said earlier, the understanding of this liberates you to have an intimate relationship with your Father God
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by haibe(m): 4:20pm On Oct 06, 2013
ariseandshine:

Correction:

You are wrong and not being practical bro.

Because you have a scriptural encounter with the supernatural doesn't mean or because you were once a born again christian doesn't mean you can't turn into an atheist, your confusion is thinking that when one has the Holy spirit, he can never renounce christ, this is wrong, the Holy spirit doesn't force anyone to remain in Christ.

A christian can become an atheist, infact i know one, so your point is not sound.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by topfet(m): 4:25pm On Oct 06, 2013
Precious G:

I believe Salvation is the ultimate reward we hope to obtain at the end of the day. But saved in this concept, to me, means conversion. That point where you decided to follow Christ and the Christian faith. We are converted by faith. Now we have to add to our faith, works. It's these works that would be tried.
Conversion is once, but the works after conversion is the determining factor in the race.
sister, this view of yours is simply saying that jesus' sacrifice is not enough to save you and that you have got to add your efforts. Look up Romans 11:6. it says you should not deprive grace of it's beauty by adding works to it and that you should not deprive works of It's beauty also by adding grace to it. it must be grace and grace alone or works and works alone. so choose one and face it squarely.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by topfet(m): 4:44pm On Oct 06, 2013
Mintayo:

Good, on this ground alone can a person lose his salvation but I want you to see for yourself the criteria for this. look up Hebrews 6:4-6. it takes a mature Christian to fall away and not a babe in christ
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Oct 06, 2013
haibe:

You are wrong and not being practical bro.

Because you have a scriptural encounter with the supernatural doesn't mean or because you were once a born again christian doesn't mean you can't turn into an atheist, your confusion is thinking that when one has the Holy spirit, he can never renounce christ, this is wrong, the Holy spirit doesn't force anyone to remain in Christ.

A christian can become an atheist, infact i know one, so your point is not sound.

Can u show me anyone in the bible that was Converted having had an encounter with the supernatural and then became an atheist or idolater.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by topfet(m): 4:49pm On Oct 06, 2013
Precious G:

That's very correct, but the good news is that those who have put their trust in Jesus alone to save them will not come to condemnation. Jesus himself said this in John 5:24
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Oct 06, 2013
Precious G:

Yes You must add to your faith after conversion. Things like temperance, patience, godliness.

The works are tried by fire. And you know mans works cant stand Gods fire. Which means they are not ur works. It is His WORKS in You. Sop you are just a vessel from which he operates.

So the Conversion is the KEY not the works.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by haibe(m): 5:03pm On Oct 06, 2013
ariseandshine:

Can u show me anyone in the bible that was Converted having had an encounter with the supernatural and then became an atheist or idolater.

Because the bible didn't record people that departed from the faith doesn't mean people did not depart from the faith or that people won't depart from the faith.

"12. Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.
14. Wherefore my dearly beloved, flee from idolatory" (1 corinthians 10:12,14)

If it were impossible for a christian to go into idolatory, then the bible wouldn't warn against it.

"Now the Spirit speaketh expressly that in the latter times, some shall depart from the faith giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of devils" (1 Tim 4:1).

"Take heed, brethren lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God" (Heb 3:12).

When a christian grows unbelief in his heart, he can lose his salvation since it is this belief(faith) that made him saved initially

Can you show me where the bible says a christian cannot become an atheist?
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by IdeasDrive(m): 6:32pm On Oct 06, 2013
ayoku777: And Demas didn't leave the faith in 2Tim 4v10. He left Paul and went back to his secular job, obviously coz of the hardship of ministry.

But obviously he returned, coz later in Philemon 1v24, he was numbered among Pauls labourers 'Marcus, Aristarchus, DEMAS, Lucas, my fellow labourers.'

Actually bro, the second book of Timothy was Paul's last correspondence before he was killed by Nero. So, if Demas came into the picture in this light, it would be correct to follow the Bible's stand.
@ OP, indeed it is very possible for one to lose his salvation. There is no such thing as ETERNAL SECURITY. Hence, Scripture warns us to REMEMBER LOT'S WIFE. Judas Iscariot was also a disciple, but he fell away. We all really need to TAKE HEED. May God help us.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by emmaelectelect(m): 7:33pm On Oct 06, 2013
ayoku777:

Judas didn't lose his salvation, he was never saved. No one was born again until Jesus rose from the dead, not even his disciples. It was when he rose from the dead and said to them 'receive ye the Holy ghost' -John 20v22, that they became born again. Judas was NEVER born again.
Hope u attend church and which one friend if yes?

1 Like

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by emmaelectelect(m): 7:49pm On Oct 06, 2013
jammyunn: I've read some articles on salvation and some biblical verses do suggest that we may while some also suggest we can't. What do you think guys? I need good bible students here.

Ezekiel 3:20 Again, When a righteous man doth turn from his righteousness, and commit iniquity, and I lay a stumbling-block before him, he shall die: because thou hast not given him warning, he shall die in his sin, and his righteousness which he hath done shall not be remembered; but his blood will I require at thine hand.

Ezekiel 18:24 But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.

Ezekiel 18:26 When a righteous man turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and dieth in them; for his iniquity that he hath done shall he die.

Ezekiel 33:12 Therefore, thou son of man, say unto the children of thy people, The righteousness of the righteous shall not deliver him in the day of his transgression: as for the wickedness of the wicked, he shall not fall thereby in the day that he turneth from his wickedness; neither shall the righteous be able to live for his righteousness in the day that he sinneth.

Ezekiel 33:13 When I shall say to the righteous, that he shall surely live; if he trust to his own righteousness, and commit iniquity, all his righteousnesses shall not be remembered; but for his iniquity that he hath committed, he shall die for it.

Ezekiel 33:18 When the righteous turneth from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, he shall even die thereby.

Ezekiel 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by emmaelectelect(m): 7:49pm On Oct 06, 2013
jammyunn: I've read some articles on salvation and some biblical verses do suggest that we may while some also suggest we can't. What do you think guys? I need good bible students here.

Ezekiel 3:20

Ezekiel 18:24 But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.

Ezekiel 18:26 When a righteous man turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and dieth in them; for his iniquity that he hath done shall he die.

Ezekiel 33:12

Ezekiel 33:13

Ezekiel 33:18

Ezekiel 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by octavian(m): 7:50pm On Oct 06, 2013
Read Hebrews 6:4-6, Hebrews 10:38-39, 2 peter 2:20-21.. There is no such saying as "once saved is saved forever"

Dont be decieved.

1 Like

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by emmaelectelect(m): 7:54pm On Oct 06, 2013

Ezekiel 3:20 Again, When a righteous man doth turn from his righteousness, and commit iniquity, and I lay a stumbling-block before him, he shall die: because thou hast not given him warning, he shall die in his sin, and his righteousness which he hath done shall not be remembered; but his blood will I require at thine hand.

Ezekiel 33:12 Therefore, thou son of man, say unto the children of thy people, The righteousness of the righteous shall not deliver him in the day of his transgression: as for the wickedness of the wicked, he shall not fall thereby in the day that he turneth from his wickedness; neither shall the righteous be able to live for his righteousness in the day that he sinneth.

Ezekiel 33:13 When I shall say to the righteous, that he shall surely live; if he trust to his own righteousness, and commit iniquity, all his righteousnesses shall not be remembered; but for his iniquity that he hath committed, he shall die for it.

Ezekiel 33:18 When the righteous turneth from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, he shall even die thereby.

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Oct 06, 2013
haibe:

Because the bible didn't record people that departed from the faith doesn't mean people did not depart from the faith or that people won't depart from the faith.

"12. Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.
14. Wherefore my dearly beloved, flee from idolatory" (1 corinthians 10:12,14)

If it were impossible for a christian to go into idolatory, then the bible wouldn't warn against it.

"Now the Spirit speaketh expressly that in the latter times, some shall depart from the faith giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of devils" (1 Tim 4:1).

"Take heed, brethren lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God" (Heb 3:12).

When a christian grows unbelief in his heart, he can lose his salvation since it is this belief(faith) that made him saved initially

Can you show me where the bible says a christian cannot become an atheist?

John 5:24:
1 Corinthians 3:11-15:
Jude 1:24
John 6:37

I believe when talking eternal security we should strike a balance with Holiness.

We cant deny scripture because of the fear of sin
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by haibe(m): 8:44pm On Oct 06, 2013
ariseandshine:

John 5:24:
1 Corinthians 3:11-15:
Jude 1:24
John 6:37

I believe when talking eternal security we should strike a balance with Holiness.

We cant deny scripture because of the fear of sin

John 5:24: any one that believes in Jesus will have everlasting life and will not come in condemnation, this passage is not proving one saved forever saved, it is simply saying anyone that believes Jesus will receive everlasting life, note that believe is what makes him receive the everlasting life, what if he decides to renounce his believe does he still have everlasting life? No.

1 cor 3:11-15: this verse is talking about works of a believer, there are rewards for believers works(eg preaching, good deeds), for those who don't work(eg preaching), they will still be saved because it is not a criteria for making heaven. This verse is not talking about willfully turning away from christ or willfully living in sin, the works here is quite different from what you think, so this verse doesn't prove once saved forever saved.

Jude 1:24: unto him that is able to keep you from falling, yes God is able to keep us from falling, but he won't force us not to fall, he is willing that we all keep walking with Him but he won't force you to keep walking with him, he has giving us the grace to keep us from falling but some are not just using this grace, they frustrate His grace. This verse doesn't prove once saved forever saved.

John 6;37: All that the father gives Jesus he will in no wise cast out, yes this is true, all that have come to identify with Christ will not be casted out, Jesus will receive them gladly and accept them, this doesn't prove your once saved forever saved.

I think mis-interpretation of scriptures is what you have here.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by akahp(m): 9:16pm On Oct 06, 2013
mikewoques: Absolutely. . .Salvation does not mean the devil is going to withdraw or fold his arms. It makes the devil rather relentless in his increased effort to make you fall again. I would say salvation solely depends on one's steadfast faith in God and a sincere resolution as well.
God go bles u. Na me giv u dah lik e hear....u tight

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Seek Ye?(the Grail Message-vol 1) / A Spiritual Entity Sighted In Lagos Riding In The Clouds This Morning / Please Help Translate This Gospel Song.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.