Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:34 AM

Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? (8469 Views)

Can One Lose His Salvation? / Was Judas Saved Or Did He Lose His Salvation? / What Shall It Profit A Man To Gain The Whole World And Lose His Soul (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by jammyunn(m): 7:39am On Oct 06, 2013
I've read some articles on salvation and some biblical verses do suggest that we may while some also suggest we can't. What do you think guys? I need good bible students here.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Ayomivic(m): 7:43am On Oct 06, 2013
How do you know you are saved

1 Like

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Ayomivic(m): 7:43am On Oct 06, 2013
How do you know you are saved?

1 Like

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by jammyunn(m): 8:19am On Oct 06, 2013
The bible says if I confess and believe in Christ Jesus.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by fingard02k(m): 8:21am On Oct 06, 2013
lolz
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Nobody: 9:22am On Oct 06, 2013
Your spiritual state @ d moment of your death determines whether you are saved or not.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by ChibeKs(m): 9:59am On Oct 06, 2013
you can not in anyway loose ur salvation if u are saved

1 Like

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by mysticgal(f): 10:04am On Oct 06, 2013
yes,you can,psalm 51 :12

1 Like

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by italo: 10:14am On Oct 06, 2013
ChibeKs: you can not in anyway loose ur salvation if u are saved

So if you kill, you still wont lose salvation?
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Zikkyy(m): 11:17am On Oct 06, 2013
chukwudi44: Your spiritual state @ d moment of your death determines whether you are saved or not.

Best answer.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by alexleo(m): 11:17am On Oct 06, 2013
1 Timothy 4:1.

4 Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons....

From the scriptures above you can see that one can lose his salvation and when you do, you have departed from the faith.
The scripture below is an example of Demas who for the pleasures of the world deserted paul to another city.

2 Timothy 4:10

10 For Demas, in love with this present world, has deserted me and gone to Thessalonica....

Anybody telling you that you can't lose your salvation after being saved is a deceiver.

8 Likes

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by alexleo(m): 11:20am On Oct 06, 2013
ChibeKs: you can not in anyway loose ur salvation if u are saved

Lies.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Candour(m): 11:30am On Oct 06, 2013
This is one issue i'm not 100% clear about. see the verse below

Eph 1:13
'In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise,'

What can unseal someone God has sealed with his Holy Spirit? I am an advocate of Grace is not License and i make no apologies about that. But then, what about sins you do not even know you commit? I have no examples to give but are we sure all acts of unrighteousness were written down for us?

Also the issue of Demas that alexleo brought up gives me some thought, but it said Demas went away from Paul, Did that verse tell us he left the faith? Does leaving Paul translate to leaving the faith?

would really like to hear more on this issue

1 Like

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by victorazy(m): 11:32am On Oct 06, 2013
chukwudi44: Your spiritual state @ d moment of your death determines whether you are saved or not.
Zikkyy:

Off point

Best answer.
Who told u?

Ur salvation can be "diminished" when u commit sin unknowingly, wen u did things dat seems normal in ur eye but not in the sight of God but will be restored as soon as u realise it like David (Psalm 51 v 12).
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Tuntheycr7: 11:35am On Oct 06, 2013
This is really confusing because Jesus said ' no one can snatched the ones out of my hand which my father has given to me '
Bt I beleived God can not be mocked, you can not be dwelling in sin and seek for more grace. It will never happened said Paul.
May God just give us the grace to understand his words

1 Like

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by mikewoques: 11:35am On Oct 06, 2013
Absolutely. . .Salvation does not mean the devil is going to withdraw or fold his arms. It makes the devil rather relentless in his increased effort to make you fall again. I would say salvation solely depends on one's steadfast faith in God and a sincere resolution as well.

1 Like

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Ubenedictus(m): 11:38am On Oct 06, 2013
Candour: This is one issue i'm not 100% clear about. see the verse below

Eph 1:13
'In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise,'

What can unseal someone God has sealed with his Holy Spirit? I am an advocate of Grace is not License and i make no apologies about that. But then, what about sins you do not even know you commit? I have no examples to give but are we sure all acts of unrighteousness were written down for us?

Also the issue of Demas that alexleo brought up gives me some thought, but it said Demas went away from Paul, Did that verse tell us he left the faith? Does leaving Paul translate to leaving the faith?

that verse didn't say you can't lose your salvation, it only says you have been sealed with the holyspirit, your seal, isn't a material thing, it is the holyspirit himself and as scripture say we can grieve the spirit and he may depart from us, we may lose that seal and along with it our salvation.

6 Likes

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by ayoku777(m): 11:42am On Oct 06, 2013
A christian CAN NOT lose his salvation.

I love the way Charles Spurgeon puts it 'Noah and his family could stumble and fall many times in the ark, but they could never fall out of the ark, coz God himself was the one that shut them in' (Gen 7v16).

You can stumble and fall many times in Christ but you can't fall out of Christ, coz it was the Father that put you in Christ and SEALED you with the Holy Spirit of promised -Eph 1v13.

Sin definitely carries consequences and incurs losses, but the loss is never the loss of the Holy Spirit or the righteousness of Christ. Just as before you became a believer, you couldn't obey laws enough to revoke the imputed sin of the first Adam, so also, now that you're a believer, you can't disobey laws enough to revoke the imputed righteousness of the last Adam (Jesus).

When a christian sins, God rebukes him, if he continues God chastises him (takes his comfort) in varied measure and time, and if he continues, God will judge him (take him). But taking back his Holy Spirit, by which we are sealed in Christ, is something he has covenanted NEVER TO DO -Isaiah 59v21.

8 Likes

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by ayoku777(m): 11:43am On Oct 06, 2013
'For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance' -Rom 11v29. That is, God does not repent, change his mind or revoke his calling and gifts. Many people think this scripture is talking about ministerial call and gifts of the Spirit.

Conservative preachers use this scripture when they want to criticize and say, just coz someone is still a pastor and is operating gifts doesn't mean he's not living in sin.

That is very true. God does not revoke his calling and gifts on the life of his servant even when he sins. But people who believe this, shoot themselves in the foot when they now turn around and say a man can lose his salvation. Coz salvation is also a calling and the Holy spirit is also gift.

Acts 2v38-39 -Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptised everyone of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the GIFT OF THE HOLY GHOST.

For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall CALL.

Acts 10v45 -....on the gentiles also was poured out the GIFT OF THE HOLY GHOST.

2Tim 1v9 -Who hath save us and called us with a holy CALLING, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace.

Heb 3v1 -Wherefore Holy brethren and partakers of the heavenly CALLING.

So salvation is a calling and the Holy Spirit is a gift. So when you receive Christ through faith, you accept the CALL of salvation and the GIFT of the Holy Spirit, which are without repentance (irrevocable).

....following

1 Like

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by alexleo(m): 11:56am On Oct 06, 2013
Candour: l

From what that verse said, its obvious he left the faith because paul said Demas deserted him because of the love of this present world. His statement didn't suggest that demas left him because of a difference he had with him on the issue of a particular teaching or doctrine but the LOVE OF THIS PRESENT WORLD. And of course Jesus said- whosoever loveth the world, the love of the father is not in him.

1 Like

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by alexleo(m): 11:57am On Oct 06, 2013
Ubenedictus: that verse didn't say you can't lose your salvation, it only says you have been sealed with the holyspirit, your seal, isn't a material thing, it is the holyspirit himself and as scripture say we can grieve the spirit and he may depart from us, we may lose that seal and along with it our salvation.

God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by alexleo(m): 12:05pm On Oct 06, 2013
And what have you to say about this scripture? Hebrews 10:26.

26 For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins.

1 Like

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by ayoku777(m): 12:05pm On Oct 06, 2013
And Demas didn't leave the faith in 2Tim 4v10. He left Paul and went back to his secular job, obviously coz of the hardship of ministry.

But obviously he returned, coz later in Philemon 1v24, he was numbered among Pauls labourers 'Marcus, Aristarchus, DEMAS, Lucas, my fellow labourers.'

1 Like

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by PHIPEX(m): 12:06pm On Oct 06, 2013
2 Peter 2:20-22 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

If Judas lost his salvation, so will any Christian who departs from the truth.

1 Like

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by rotzy5: 12:08pm On Oct 06, 2013
when you hav come to know God, you need to do some basic things, e.g you leav old personality, confess your sin. dedicate your life to him. if you do those thingss. you'll have God's favorsmiley but when you have dedicated. & you go back to old personality you can lose his favor. & that means no salvation
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by alexleo(m): 12:12pm On Oct 06, 2013
ayoku777: A christian CAN NOT lose his salvation.

I love the way Charles Spurgeon puts it 'Noah and his family could stumble and fall many times in the ark, but they could never fall out of the ark, coz God himself was the one that shut them in' (Gen 7v16).

You can stumble and fall many times in Christ but you can't fall out of Christ, coz it was the Father that put you in Christ and SEALED you with the Holy Spirit of promised -Eph 1v13.

Sin definitely carries consequences and incurs losses, but the loss is never the loss of the Holy Spirit or the righteousness of Christ. Just as before you became a believer, you couldn't obey laws enough to revoke the imputed sin of the first Adam, so also, now that you're a believer, you can't disobey laws enough to revoke the imputed righteousness of the last Adam (Jesus).

When a christian sins, God rebukes him, if he continues God chastises him (takes his comfort) in varied measure and time, and if he continues, God will judge him (take him). But taking back his Holy Spirit, by which we are sealed in Christ, is something he has covenanted NEVER TO DO -Isaiah 59v21.

And what have you to say about the parable of the ten virgins? Ten of them were virgins with their lamps burning, but on the day of reckoning, the five who did not have extra oil to keep their lamps burning were banished from entering into the joy of the bridegroom. And they were called foolish virgins.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Oct 06, 2013
This is simple.
How did you gain Salvation in the first place? By self will? No. It is By believing in the gospel, confessing and repenting of our sins and making Jesus our Lord and Saviour.
The only circumstance in which I know one can be unsaved again is if you undo what you did the day you got saved: deliberately, intentionally and by confession, denying the Lordship and Sonship of Jesus and turning away from him, ultimately going back to your previous life. The only person that make you unsaved again is you. Satan doesn't have the power or influence over this. But it takes a lot of time and effort to override the grace and power of the Holy Spirit to go that far. Once you deny Jesus and who He is, you will lose the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and the seal is gone.
The Spirit is grieved when we sin and wound Him but He doesn't leave. This is very important but many believers don't know it and are so confused with all sort of scriptures here and there. There is another angle to this: protracted and unrepented sin but let me not go there now. But please note, you don't lose your salvation because you sin a minute ago, otherwise you will be losing and gaining it several times in a day or week or month or year etc.
Some people think the statement above gives people license to sin. No it doesn't. As a matter of fact, it is a statement that help people have victory over sin.
In closing, our focus and mind should not dwell on these negative thoughts but in positive ones like: how do I please Him more. How do I bask more in His presence. How do I hear Him more, how do I find Him when I seek Him, how do I get sensitive to the Holy Spirit so much so that He will constantly change me to be like Jesus, what is Jesus doing in Heaven now. What is He thinking, is there anything He is saying that I am not listening.
Just think about a young girl that got engaged to a guy based in another country and she is waiting for the wedding, but doesn't know the day or the complete detail about the wedding and she is constantly longing for her fiancé. She is so happy that she can't even sleep and can't get him out if her mind 24/7. She knows he loves her. Will she have the time to be thinking if the guy can disengage or unfiance her?
Let me stop here people!

6 Likes

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Ukeachu1(m): 12:13pm On Oct 06, 2013
alexleo preaches sound doctrine. do pay heed to his words
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by ayoku777(m): 12:19pm On Oct 06, 2013
PHIPEX:

Judas didn't lose his salvation, he was never saved. No one was born again until Jesus rose from the dead, not even his disciples. It was when he rose from the dead and said to them 'receive ye the Holy ghost' -John 20v22, that they became born again. Judas was NEVER born again.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by alexleo(m): 12:23pm On Oct 06, 2013
PHIPEX:

Thanks my brother.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by alexleo(m): 12:36pm On Oct 06, 2013
ayoku777:

Judas didn't lose his salvation, he was never saved. No one was born again until Jesus rose from the dead, not even his disciples. It was when he rose from the dead and said to them 'receive ye the Holy ghost' -John 20v22, that they became born again. Judas was NEVER born again.

But Jesus told Nicodemus- except a man be born again he cannot see the kingdom of God. Had Jesus died and rose up when he made that statement? When Jesus told the woman who was caught in adultery- go and sin no more, has he died and ressurected?

How about those Jesus forgave their sins in -
Luke 5:20

20 And when he saw their faith, he said, “Man, your sins are forgiven you.

And Luke 7:48

48 And he said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.

Are you now saying that these people were not saved because this events took place before the death and ressurection of Jesus? How about the thief at the cross? He too wasn't saved? No bros.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Tuntheycr7: 12:42pm On Oct 06, 2013
Ubenedictus: that verse didn't say you can't lose your salvation, it only says you have been sealed with the holyspirit, your seal, isn't a material thing, it is the holyspirit himself and as scripture say we can grieve the spirit and he may depart from us, we may lose that seal and along with it our salvation.
I concur wt u coz 2 peter 2 :20 said it wud hav bin beta 4not to have knwn d way of righteousness than knowing it and turnin bak

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I'm Afraid I Will Die And Find Out Christians Or Jews Were Right And Not Muslims / "For Better For Worse" Is It Supposed To Be Used During Vow? / Where Is It Written In The Bible That Masturbation Is A Sin????

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.