Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,619 members, 7,820,199 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:16 AM

Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice (14290 Views)

Dear Family Please Advice A Wife To Be!!! / Tomorrow Is My Girl Friend's Traditional Marriage...so Confused!!! / My Wife Is Pushing Me To Do Things I Don't Like Please Advice Your Friend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by nickxtra(m): 11:20am On Oct 08, 2013
Infact, I am so confused as to the issue of marriage - confused about who to get married to; when to get married; and how to go about getting married.

Right now, I am in my early 30s, a 300 level part time student in a University and doing a menial job. But for four JAMB's hurdles since I finished my school cert, I would have for long become a graduate and maybe doing a good job, which would be enough to give me the courage into marriage. But because of my inability to gain admission into a higher institution on time, I lost confidence in going marital affair, even though I had the previlege of going into serious relationship that many had expected or envisaged to climaxed into marriage. Almost all the girls I have been in relationship are now happily married and proud mothers.

Also, most of my friends and contemproaries have left me behind as far as marriage is concerned. I am deeply concerned, not because I don't want to get married, but, I AM AFRAID, firstly on how to take care of my wife when I am still schooling, even though am engaged with menial job and doing other hustling now. Secondly, where will I get the money to fund the wedding since what receive from my job and other hustling hardly meet my rent and other needs? Will things not be compounded when we are two?

Thirdly, it seems the time I used to love is gone - i.e, I don't easily love(love in the real sense of the word). Right now, I have girl, whom am trying to develop a strong love for, because believe that, love is the only basis for a successful marriage. Now, may I crave your advice, suggestions and scolding(where applicable) in the following puzzles: one, how do I develop a strong love for a woman I think I should marry? Two, will you not consider it better for me to finish my school and get a better job before marrying?

Fourthly, do I really need an elaborate wedding, like some of my friends did? At 31(though physically bigger than my age), don't you think am supposed to be married now like my friends, some of whom are my juniors and others, seniors? Is it possible not to have a strong love a girl now, but later develop it for her? What do I do now in this circumstance? Please, advise me.

2 Likes

Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by Excelboi(m): 11:48am On Oct 08, 2013
I wont talk much but dont use other people's life and action to judge yours. Dont rush for marriage when you are not financially capable. At early 30 you can still chill till you finish school and get a decent job. Its only ladies that ought to get worried at 30 with no marriage in their agenda. To cut the story short, marriage doesnt have age (for a man) and dont be desperate for it.

11 Likes

Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by blessedindeed: 11:53am On Oct 08, 2013
I will advise you focus your love imterest in someone that is not a liability - has a handwork or working n earning money so the financial burden wont rest on you alone. secondly u should know that all fingers are not equal so if u can foot the bill of elaborate wedding without borrowing why dont u consider meeting ur pastor for a very simple wedding which am sure all pastors use to advise members than going into debt.
Dont forget MARRIAGE is much deeper than wedding itself. u should direct ur effort in how u can make a good marriage with ur spouse amd not wasting energy on how to have elaborate wedding like ur friends.

5 Likes

Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by bellong: 11:54am On Oct 08, 2013
nickxtra: one, how do I develop a strong love for a woman I think I should marry?

Contrary to popular and erroneous belief about Love, Love is not a feeling or emotions. It is a decision. For the girl to at least get your attention in asking her out, it is obvious there is an evidence of attraction to her. What you need do is to study her and see if you can live with her character and attitude. Assess her overall qualities and weigh what you can live with and what you can't. If your assessment qualifies for what you can live with for the rest of your life, then you can start working on yourself to be the ideal husband to her. With time, you will get to like and develop the feelings missing now.

nickxtra: Two, will you not consider it better for me to finish my school and get a better job before marrying?

Yes, I agree that you have a better job that can at least cater for your needs before marrying the girl. I am not saying you have to wait to get a high paying job but one that the pay is decent enough to cater for your household. Meanwhile, it doesn't stop you from building on the relationship.

nickxtra: Thirdly, do I really need an elaborate wedding, like some of my friends did?

Comparing themselves by themselves, they are not wise. One disservice we do to ourselves is to compare ourselves with others. Your friends had the means for an elaborate wedding, you do not have the same circumstance and so cannot operate under the same condition. Whenever you are ready for the marriage, do it according to what you can afford. Marriage itself starts after the owanbe ceremony, infact I do not count as too important the celebration celebrated by many.

nickxtra: At 31(though physically bigger than my age), don't you think am supposed to be married now like my friends, some of whom are my juniors and others, seniors? Is it possible not to have a strong love a girl now, but later develop it for her? What do I do now in this circumstance? Please, advise me.

What I see here is not confusion but an upsurge of hormones doing the thinking for you. Marriage is important but it is not done because others are doing or because I am getting old. You have to be matured in all areas viz-a-viz emotional, financial, anger management to mention a few.
Bro, sit yourself down and think of what you want from life. Map out strategy on how you aim to accomplish it. Look back on where you have made serious mistakes that have affected your progress and make correction for future purpose. Draw out a vision you intend to run with and stick to it with prayers.
Start working on becoming the ideal husband for your wife by reading good books and understudying successful homes. Take time also to identify what you want in a woman and the characteristics you will want to see (realistic expectations). When you see them in a lady, with time your attraction will become strong.

Finally, you need to let this sink into your heart that your life should not be compared with any. Some are early starters while some are late starters. What matters is for you to understand the purpose you are living for and run with it. Write the vision and make it plain upon the tables. The law of overtaking is a universal law. You are in no competition with anybody, savour your challenges and let them mould you to become a better person to your family and society at large. I pray that God settle you and grant you peace round about.

45 Likes

Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by Jayses(m): 12:05pm On Oct 08, 2013
J
Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by fittty(m): 12:05pm On Oct 08, 2013
Check T.B Joshua for deliverance.. I heard Jim Iyke just got delivered over there and is getting married by December.. Good luck bro!
Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by Nobody: 12:06pm On Oct 08, 2013
You are not the only one in that boat bro....

Welcome I will say.. but I will advice you finish school first. Your status determines the kind of ladies you meet believe it... People will say otherwise but that is the true story.

So, focus on your education first afterwards, it then depends if you want to get married first or start work, own some other things before getting married like me... hahahaha.... But the real fact is that, time waits for no one and really no one wants to send the kids to school on retirement benefits...

So act fast cos time na money oh.... so dont put time aside looking for money. Get money out of time by utilizin the said time. Immediately after school, lay low with ur sweet npete

1 Like

Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by constance500: 12:07pm On Oct 08, 2013
Nice one

1 Like

Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by Mavrick2012: 12:07pm On Oct 08, 2013
Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by dabrake(m): 12:08pm On Oct 08, 2013
Jayses: J
Mavrick2012: .

You see your life?
Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by Blessmira: 12:08pm On Oct 08, 2013
Pls, ur studies 1st, then other thins can follow suit. There s need 2 prepare 4 mariage. Dont b in a haste n dont look @ odas cos al fingers ar nt equal.
wishin u d best! cheesy
Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by drnoel: 12:09pm On Oct 08, 2013
Best rule 2 follow is 2 love those who love. Those that u have to beg to give u time, run a mile.
Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by iamswizz(m): 12:12pm On Oct 08, 2013
I need an advise on how to advice you pls
Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by YoshiMaster: 12:13pm On Oct 08, 2013
You don't need a big wedding, you can just do it in court. Sounds lame, but does it really matter?

I'll advice that you don't have kids untill you can afford to, but besides that, your wife should be able to hustle with you, so I don't really see a problem there.

If you wanna get married though, please make sure you love the person, and it's not just to conform.

3 Likes

Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by alaoeri: 12:15pm On Oct 08, 2013
Op my advice for you, life begins at 40 so no rushing.
Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by Nobody: 12:15pm On Oct 08, 2013
Lolz, there is trouble in this world.

People get cash, can't find wifegrin some get cash, not interested in marriage. While some are very interested in getting married but no cash, the puzzle of life, sighs.

Anyway, @poster, pls it is never advisable to enter into marriage as a man without financial stability, at least one that can feed, shelter and fend for you and 4 other persons comfortably without stress.

I hate to see guys who haven't stabilized financially talking or venturing into marriage. Yes, I encourage ladies not to be money-driven when making choice of partner or date, but pls guys don't dare enter marriage without a good source of income, pls for the sake of innocent unborn kids pls.

People in the past may have married without having a stable income, pls don't dare it now cos everything: school fees, living expense, house rent, clothing expense, etc have all shoot up in this our time.

Pray, work hard/smart towards getting a stable income aside your job. Don't just rely on the fact that u are schooling...education nowadays is no longer a guarantee for good job or financial success.

In summary, don't go into marriage now and don't go comparing yourself with your mates who are married...it is not always about who started first but who finished bestsmiley

Goodluck and calm down, life they say, begins at 40smiley

4 Likes

Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by Jaywilzee(m): 12:16pm On Oct 08, 2013
Simple...........don't marry...
Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by Nobody: 12:16pm On Oct 08, 2013
Two, will i not consider it
better for me to finish my school and get a
better job before marrying

LOBATAN!!
E.O.D!
Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by darlynlara(f): 12:17pm On Oct 08, 2013
All these statement are mental excuses created by your subconsious about why you shouldn't get married,just calm down with all these worrying your doing you just might hurt yourself before you marry self,don't get married because you feel others are getting married,get married because she's the one you want to spend the rest of your life with,because she's your happiness and encouragement,marriage is not for the weak willed man up don't blame jamb,do ur best to cater for yourslf and your gf,am sure she understands your situation and might be willing to wait a while,I advice u don't rush in because you just might not make it while trying to rush awt! Godbless dear and don't forget to invite me o when you decide to get married wink

1 Like

Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by Diamondwriter(m): 12:17pm On Oct 08, 2013
fiftly,hw old are you?
Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by DarryOsh(m): 12:17pm On Oct 08, 2013
nickxtra: one, how do I develop a strong love for a woman I think I should marry?

this question is the one i found most difficult to answer(i answered it last). Well, i suppose love can grow over time. yes it does. And it may not. Just be sure what you are going into. let's wait for the experts in that area to come and answer you.

nickxtra: will you not consider it better for me to finish my school and get a better job before marrying?

well, if u are not financially buoyant enough to manage a family, I think you should exercise some patience. For goodness sake, you are just 31. And u are a guy sef. combining school and work is enough stress. i dont see why you should should add marriage, especially if u are not financially buoyant yet.

nickxtra: Thirdly, do I really need an elaborate wedding, like some of my friends did?
This is the easiest one to answer. No, a royal wedding is not a prerequisite for blissful marriage. it makes no sense to get married and spend the next three years drinking garri and paying debts. Don't spend money you don't have trying to impress people who don't really care. A decent wedding will do. In a few years, you can have a grand wedding anniversary (if you desire).

2 Likes

Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by Jayses(m): 12:18pm On Oct 08, 2013
dabrake:

You see your life?
lot , owk i don rest , i ve met my target
Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by UDbester(m): 12:18pm On Oct 08, 2013
If u dont have money to take care of ur self and possibly ur child(ren) , den u shud be very afraid of getting married.
Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by Nobody: 12:20pm On Oct 08, 2013
You are in 300level, unemployed, broke and thinking about marriage? shocked. Please set your priorities right my friend! There is time for everything.

3 Likes

Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by Willgates(m): 12:21pm On Oct 08, 2013
Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by Tinkybabe(f): 12:23pm On Oct 08, 2013
bellong:

Contrary to popular and erroneous belief about Love, Love is not a feeling or emotions. It is a decision. For the girl to at least get your attention in asking her out, it is obvious there is an evidence of attraction to her. What you need do is to study her and see if you can live with her character and attitude. Assess her overall qualities and weigh what you can live with and what you can't. If your assessment qualifies for what you can live with for the rest of your life, then you can start working on yourself to be the ideal husband to her. With time, you will get to like and develop the feelings missing now.

Yes, I agree that you have a better job that can at least cater for your needs before marrying the girl. I am not saying you have to wait to get a high paying job but one that the pay is decent enough to cater for your household. Meanwhile, it doesn't stop you from building on the relationship.

Comparing themselves by themselves, they are not wise. One disservice we do to ourselves is to compare ourselves with others. Your friends had the means for an elaborate wedding, you do not have the same circumstance and so cannot operate under the same condition. Whenever you are ready for the marriage, do it according to what you can afford. Marriage itself starts after the owanbe ceremony, infact I do not count as too important the celebration celebrated by many.

What I see here is not confusion but an upsurge of hormones doing the thinking for you. Marriage is important but it is not done because others are doing or because I am getting old. You have to be matured in all areas viz-a-viz emotional, financial, anger management to mention a few.
Bro, sit yourself down and think of what you want from life. Map out strategy on how you aim to accomplish it. Look back on where you have made serious mistakes that have affected your progress and make correction for future purpose. Draw out a vision you intend to run with and stick to it with prayers.
Start working on becoming the ideal husband for your wife by reading good books and understudying successful homes. Take time also to identify what you want in a woman and the characteristics you will want to see (realistic expectations). When you see them in a lady, with time your attraction will become strong.

Finally, you need to let this sink into your heart that your life should not be compared with any. Some are early starters while some are late starters. What matters is for you to understand the purpose you are living for and run with it. Write the vision and make it plain upon the tables. The law of overtaking is a universal law. You are in no competition with anybody, savour your challenges and let them mould you to become a better person to your family and society at large. I pray that God settle you and grant you peace round about.

I quoted this to re-emphasize it.OP, this is your answer.
EOD
Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by iykofias(m): 12:24pm On Oct 08, 2013
A partner is someone who’ll stand by you through all the trouble you wouldn’t have had if you’d stayed single. U want a gal u love? Hias ma advice: Love is blind, marriage is the eye-opener. Nobody hia cn tel ur abt marriage because The secret of a happy marriage is still a secret!!!cheers
Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by Richy4(m): 12:24pm On Oct 08, 2013
Chill bro. I donot see why you should get yourself worked-up over nothing. You have a goal you are pursuing why not concentrate on that first.
I for instance,got a good job, and every little thing that a man needs to start a life. but where is the woman? the ones i saw are not mentally ready. the last one just made me feel like emptying a bucket of cold water on her
I think you should take one step at a time bro. get your Financial security right. without it, (even a house girl no go gree marry u). I do not think you can hit a menopause while embarking on this journey to make life better
Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by Nobody: 12:25pm On Oct 08, 2013
1st. U a student

2nd. U a broke

3rd. U unemployed

All of ds no be crime, U know the greatest sin U committed is thinking marriage in ur situation. U ought to be lashed 10 whips of Koboko by all the ladies on NL... U a big fool .. Ur blood is soo fool,U should be called BLOODY FOOL

4 Likes

Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by creativemusic: 12:25pm On Oct 08, 2013
You don't need to be confused. what you need is to attend school of marriage, you get it better. what you don't know will kill you dead. marriage is based on 4 things. you must sound MENTALLY, PHYSICALLY, FINANCIALLY AND SPIRITUALLY. for further inquiries call me. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by packagerz: 12:27pm On Oct 08, 2013
Mr man..all you need to do is to pray hard,God will surely put you thru,,getting married when you are thru with your school is still fine,that means you will be 35yrs then..ŞƠ̴̴̴̴͡ relax and stay focus,your own time will come.

1 Like

Re: Marriage Things: I Am So Confused, Please Advice by Nobody: 12:27pm On Oct 08, 2013
Marriage has nothing to do with age but alot to do with maturity (physical, financial, emotional and spiritual). Love alone can't survive a marriage, the love fades. The bible says a man who can't cater for his family is worse than an infidel. The love will fade if you are nt able to take care of your wife and kids. It takes grace to be with a woman who caters for the family because she go take am insult you one day and your ego and pride will be on the line. If you're finding it hard to feed and pay your rent now, what happens when you have a wife and kids? All those your mates who are married, ask them how easy they're finding it and you'll be shocked what you'll learn. Romance without finance (to cater for the family) is a nuisance. Them no dey catch marriage late comer for heaven and dem no dey use marriage certificate collet loan from bank o.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Inspirational Interview Of A Single Mother With Three Special Needs Children / Why Deny Your Husband Food After A Fight? / To The Married Men: Who Is In The Better Position To Be Your Next Of Kin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.