Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:00 AM

How To Deal With A Job You Dont Like. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Deal With A Job You Dont Like. (9167 Views)

If You Can Do This Job, You Will Be A Great Person! / 10 Funny But Weird Job You Never Knew Exist / 10 Ways To Love A Job You Hate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Deal With A Job You Dont Like. by rodeo0070(m): 2:34pm On Oct 08, 2013
We have all been there: we find ourselves in a job that we don’t enjoy; a job that isn't in our career field; a job that leaves us counting down the minutes until we can clock out and go home for the day. It’s just a natural part of life and a natural part of creating the career of our dreams, but that doesn't mean we have to suffer day in and day out. Here are my tips on how to deal with a job you don’t like:

Go to work with a good attitude

Whether you want to be there or not, having a positive attitude is huge! Our emotions are contagious and if we’re running around work filled with negativity, it’s going to rub off on those around us, creating a negative and hostile place to be. On the flip side, showing up to work smiling and happy will also spread through the office and before you realize it, it might not be such a bad place after all!

Recognize that a bad job does not equal a bad life

We spend around 40 hours a week at our jobs so it’s so easy to fall down the “woe is me” hole when we don’t enjoy what we’re doing or where we’re working. But it’s important to remember that a bad job doesn’t equal a bad life. Take a moment to recognize the other aspects that you love about your life and remember that our jobs are only a small slice of the pie.

Take time for YOU

I don’t mean spend time at work doing personal stuff or slacking off – that’s the fast track to the unemployment line – but rather, make time for yourself outside of work. Focus on what you need to improve your job, your career and your life and make time for that. If you’re in a better place outside the office, you’ll be in a better place at the office.

Make the most of it and grow your role

Think about what you like or don’t like about your current job. Is it the company, or is it just your position within the company? Can you offer to take on more work that will allow you to feel more challenged or showcase what else you have to offer? Think about what it would take for you to enjoy your job more and talk to your boss about how those things will also benefit the company. Maybe you really enjoy social media and your company’s web presence leaves much to be desired – offer to help!

Remember this isn't permanent

While we don’t want to be the one known as the “job hopper” at the end of the day, remember this job doesn’t have to be forever. Allow this to be a stepping stone, a moment to learn what you like in a job or don’t like in a job, and when you get all that you can out of it or can’t take it any longer, know that it’s okay to leave!

Keep looking

If you want out then you have to work for it! If you’re in the wrong career field, keep looking for jobs and opportunities in your field and applying for them. Reach out to those you know in your industry, make those connections and keep pushing forward. If you don’t try to find a new and better job, you never will!

So, if you find yourself in the situation of not loving your current job, take a step back, follow these tips and I’m sure when you walk into the office tomorrow, you’ll be in a much better place to tackle the day!

CULLED FROM: http://www.lifehack.org/articles/work/how-deal-with-job-you-dont-like.html

3 Likes

Re: How To Deal With A Job You Dont Like. by Nobody: 6:48pm On Oct 15, 2013
Just resign
Re: How To Deal With A Job You Dont Like. by Nobody: 6:48pm On Oct 15, 2013
true.
Re: How To Deal With A Job You Dont Like. by axion(m): 6:49pm On Oct 15, 2013
As I don enter first page on frontpage article I don blow, na me be dis? angry
Re: How To Deal With A Job You Dont Like. by otijah(m): 6:51pm On Oct 15, 2013
If u don't like d job, no need dealing withi it, Resign and find anoda job or keep frustrating urself with the OP advices

3 Likes

Re: How To Deal With A Job You Dont Like. by Nobody: 6:51pm On Oct 15, 2013
xp17: all thanks to magic jack internet connection.

Lol at ur mtn

cheesy grin cheesy
Re: How To Deal With A Job You Dont Like. by pembisco(m): 6:52pm On Oct 15, 2013
I jump pass dis post!!

Re: How To Deal With A Job You Dont Like. by UjSizzle(f): 6:54pm On Oct 15, 2013
Or just quit undecided
Re: How To Deal With A Job You Dont Like. by DMainMan: 6:57pm On Oct 15, 2013
Re: How To Deal With A Job You Dont Like. by topcube(m): 7:00pm On Oct 15, 2013
Is This Advice Really For Nigerians, cos, d average or even politician I know isn't there because of they or they don't like attitude, they are simply there because of money or power (Owanmbe). Imagine a primary six holder carrying AK 47 or driving an amour tank personel (APC). So OP, yarn us something of our nature
Re: How To Deal With A Job You Dont Like. by NosoChic: 7:07pm On Oct 15, 2013
I agree absolutely with top cube...so many people work in 9ja not because they love the job per second. This write up may not just be so practical in our environment.
Re: How To Deal With A Job You Dont Like. by Basilona(m): 7:15pm On Oct 15, 2013
All I need to do to stay on a job I don't like is think of how much less I want to be like those get-rich-quick schemers who claim to be enterpreneurs
Re: How To Deal With A Job You Dont Like. by Nobody: 7:19pm On Oct 15, 2013
OP, how come all your threads are making front page today and at thesame time? I see you've finally succeeded at hacking NL.

Wish you the best!

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With A Job You Dont Like. by havilaLAGOS: 8:31pm On Oct 15, 2013
how come 3 of ur threads are on fp grin
Re: How To Deal With A Job You Dont Like. by snika: 9:11pm On Oct 15, 2013
havilaLAGOS: how come 3 of ur threads are on fp grin
Maybe because he's a mod? :/
Re: How To Deal With A Job You Dont Like. by willibounce: 10:06pm On Oct 15, 2013
Rubbish article. How can u go to work with a gud attitude when u dnt lyk ur job. Una no jst lyk truth.
Re: How To Deal With A Job You Dont Like. by aieromon(m): 10:16pm On Oct 15, 2013
havilaLAGOS: how come 3 of ur threads are on fp grin

This is actually the fourth thread on FP.

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With A Job You Dont Like. by Abdulhakeem1(m): 11:45pm On Oct 15, 2013
willibounce: Rubbish article. How can u go to work with a gud attitude when u dnt lyk ur job. Una no jst lyk truth.
dont try 2 luk it 4rm dat pespective, wot he meant isnt rubbish but d truth, only dose who av experienced dat, knows d full meaning. Am a good example. So i tink i understood wot he meant.
Re: How To Deal With A Job You Dont Like. by johnsonjosbles(m): 12:32am On Oct 16, 2013
Abdul hakeem: dont try 2 luk it 4rm dat pespective, wot he meant isnt rubbish but d truth, only dose who av experienced dat, knows d full meaning. Am a good example. So i tink i understood wot he meant.
Thank u bro, ppl allow dia temprament afect dia level of resoning dia4 afecting dia lif -vely, i'm a living example, i never likd d job i'm doing uptil now, but d trut is dat i'v bn survivin on d same job i hate over 5yrs now, i somtime took a bold step out of d job, thinking i was fraustrated, my broda, bold hunger sent me back 2d job, it was dis same ops advice i employ and i later found d job intresting and started achiving. Anyway, many wil not undstand most especially dos hu hav conectn 2get dai desire job as far nigeria is concern
Re: How To Deal With A Job You Dont Like. by Nobody: 4:51am On Oct 16, 2013
If you are an adult: suck it up..
If you are a teen: suck it up..

Life isn't always about having what you like.. Where we would be without opposition? undecided
Re: How To Deal With A Job You Dont Like. by sniperwolf(m): 6:58am On Oct 16, 2013
rodeo0070:

We spend around 40 hours a week at our jobs so it’s so easy to fall down the “woe is me” hole when we don’t enjoy what we’re doing or where we’re working. But it’s important to remember that a bad job doesn’t equal a bad life. Take a moment to recognize the other aspects that you love about your life and remember that our jobs are only a small slice of the pie.

I love this
Re: How To Deal With A Job You Dont Like. by sniperwolf(m): 7:09am On Oct 16, 2013
rodeo0070:

Remember this isn't permanent

While we don’t want to be the one known as the “job hopper” at the end of the day, remember this job doesn’t have to be forever. Allow this to be a stepping stone, a moment to learn what you like in a job or don’t like in a job, and when you get all that you can out of it or can’t take it any longer, know that it’s okay to leave!

This is really a motivating factor and I love the article. I'm presently in a field that I don't love.

I'm not having a bad life, but I hope to leave this sector ASAP

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should A Man Wear Necklace To The Office? / Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces / Documents Nigeria Airways Retirees Must Take Along For Verification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.