Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,750 members, 7,820,587 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:40 PM

Tribal Mark Issue - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Tribal Mark Issue (3983 Views)

Inter-tribal Marriages,....... How Did It Turn Out For You / Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? / Tribal Mark On Your Child. Don't Laugh (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tribal Mark Issue by Mynd44: 11:05am On Oct 09, 2013
Shola and his wife Bimpe are natives of Ibadan but they grew up in Lagos so they have been disconnected with some of the cultures of the people back home. The only connection they ever have is when they take a trip back home to say hello to their people.

Well after 3 years of marriage, Bimpe gave birth to a set of Twins which Shola took to immediately. He loved his children and the fact that they took the beautiful face of their mother(Thank God) was even more pleasant to him.

Well Bimpe went to visit her parents when the children were 3 months and took the twins with her since it would be impossible leave them with Shola while there, She needed to visit some of her other relatives and she left her twins with her mother but when she got back home, she discovered that mother have given the Twins tribal marks without her permission.

Now this re-enactment is although not common but it is something I have heard of a lot. Sometimes, it is the paternal family that does it to the kids.

Do you think it is a good practice, and what will you do if this happens to you?
Re: Tribal Mark Issue by homesteady(m): 11:15am On Oct 09, 2013
Although the deed has been done, but I'll not take it lightly with them! Why will they subject my baby to such pain without my permission?
I'll just look for a way to clean the marks!

1 Like

Re: Tribal Mark Issue by Nobody: 11:17am On Oct 09, 2013
Why re-design a face already designed by d almighty?...It jst makes d individual ugly!...Some will say its for identificatn sake,as if d persn nor sabi talk 2 state where he or she's from.
See,I'll have 2 be drugged nd tied down b4 I'll let anybody draw anythng on ma face,nd if I wake,I'll shoot d person involved.
Re: Tribal Mark Issue by Nobody: 11:18am On Oct 09, 2013
Re: Tribal Mark Issue by kennybelle: 11:18am On Oct 09, 2013
I was discussing this with ma mum few days back. She told me it‘s sometimes traditional n sometimes for identification. I‘ve got none on me, mum‘s got none too, but i see it as being cruel, after bearing d pains of some necessary injections after birth, cnt imagine them bearing another pain of cuts on their faces n d problem of discrimination when they grow up. It‘s very bad especially in this century

1 Like

Re: Tribal Mark Issue by Nobody: 11:20am On Oct 09, 2013
Why re-design a face already designed by d almighty?...It jst makes d individual ugly!...Some will say its for identificatn sake,as if d persn nor sabi talk 2 state where he or she's from.
See,I'll have 2 be drugged nd tied down b4 I'll let anybody draw anythng on ma face,nd if I wake,I'll shoot d person involved!..Mtscheeew
Re: Tribal Mark Issue by xynerise: 11:24am On Oct 09, 2013
In my town, tribal mark is given when the child is always sick, but that was back in those days.
Re: Tribal Mark Issue by Nobody: 11:40am On Oct 09, 2013
xynerise: In my town, tribal mark is given when the child is always sick, but that was back in those days.

I'm begging u in d name of Jehovah kingy-kingy, don't disfigure my husband's face for me. Carry ur self nd ur village tinz to ur village, pls!
Re: Tribal Mark Issue by homesteady(m): 11:49am On Oct 09, 2013
xynerise: In my town, tribal mark is given when the child is always sick, but that was back in those days.

Were do they put the tribal mark? Is it on the face or the stomach?
Re: Tribal Mark Issue by Nobody: 12:06pm On Oct 09, 2013
homesteady:

Stomach,if d person is sick.
Bt some dat r drawn on d face r mostly 2 repel evil spirits(so dey say)
Horse sh!!t if u ask me

1 Like

Re: Tribal Mark Issue by xynerise: 12:10pm On Oct 09, 2013
homesteady:

Na Benin people dey put their own for belle.

On the cheeks.
Re: Tribal Mark Issue by xynerise: 12:11pm On Oct 09, 2013
alutacontinua:

I'm begging u in d name of Jehovah kingy-kingy, don't disfigure my husband's face for me. Carry ur self nd ur village tinz to ur village, pls!
Lol. He is too handsome to have such demonic marks na
Re: Tribal Mark Issue by homesteady(m): 12:17pm On Oct 09, 2013
xynerise:

On the cheeks.

Yea! That's true! And it use to be very plenty grin I've seen many people with it!
Are you from Edo state?
Re: Tribal Mark Issue by mesther96(f): 12:21pm On Oct 09, 2013
some children will grow up n curse their parents embarassed
i cnt imagine havin dose marks tufia!! undecided
Re: Tribal Mark Issue by xynerise: 12:21pm On Oct 09, 2013
homesteady:

Yea! That's true! And it use to be very plenty grin I've seen many people with it!
Are you from Edo state?
I am from IMO STATE. A good businessman goes places tongue
Re: Tribal Mark Issue by Nobody: 12:22pm On Oct 09, 2013
All these parents that give their children tribal marks what message do they really wanna pass? Is it a way of identification like in the days of slavery? Or are they just doing it cuz their culture requires them to do so?

Inasmuch as the rate of this tribal marks is really declining, any parent that puts such a weird mark on the face of his/her child especially the females should be arrested!

'Long multiple tribal marks' shld be among the factors that causes late/no marraiges among the females!!

Person go carry trabal marks, carry stretch marks!! You be Zebra
Re: Tribal Mark Issue by Nobody: 12:31pm On Oct 09, 2013
Chei! This pple dey vexo!
Why una no like am naw?
Re: Tribal Mark Issue by Nobody: 12:31pm On Oct 09, 2013
^Laughing my a$$ off @ Zebra
Helep me ask chuooo;Human Zebra
Re: Tribal Mark Issue by mesther96(f): 12:42pm On Oct 09, 2013
lolz@ zebra grin
Re: Tribal Mark Issue by deols(f): 12:43pm On Oct 09, 2013
I don't believe this.

It is more unbelievable that the wife's mother did it.

Traditionally, the mark of their father's family would be the right one to give to the children.

I thought this stopped happening like a century ago.
Re: Tribal Mark Issue by deols(f): 12:45pm On Oct 09, 2013
This is one of the cases that remind you to look well before you leap marry.
Re: Tribal Mark Issue by Osyxcel(m): 12:58pm On Oct 09, 2013
Tribal marks chai!

Those tiny ones that are given to ogbanje pikin or abiku is still much better.

But those Ibadan ones are brutal.

Re: Tribal Mark Issue by Jbluv55(m): 1:00pm On Oct 09, 2013
***Takes a deep breath***
Re: Tribal Mark Issue by Jbluv55(m): 1:43pm On Oct 09, 2013
Mynd_44: ................Well Bimpe went to visit her parents when the children were 3 months and took the twins with her since it would be impossible leave them with Shola while there,
(*) She needed to visit some of her other relatives and she left her twins with her mother but when she got back home, she discovered that mother have given the Twins tribal marks without her permission.

Now this re-enactment is although not common but it is something I have heard of a lot. Sometimes, it is the paternal family that does it to the kids.........

To start with, let's analyze the bolded (*) statement. Now its not so bad that the lady decided to go visit some of her relatives neither is it so bad that she kept her babies in her mother's custody but one would have wanted to know if she herself had tribal marks & then the deed could be 4given.
If however, she didn't have tribal marks and the mother went ahead with that kind of act, then the deed can be seen as wickedness as the act may not only affect the lady's psyche but also her marriage. How, you may ask? Well, the husband may be forced to ask her why the relatives didn't feel like coming to visit her instead or why she didn't go along with the babies(since the said relatives would have wanted to see the babies) as she happens to be a nursing mother unless of coz she went on a "different mission".
It may lead to a complete disintegration of the marriage.

(1) Do you think it is a good practice,

(2) and what will you do if this happens to you?

(1) NO

(2) I'll have to deal with the psychological effects it may have because the physical damage has been done already. I'll definitely be @ war with my wife and her mum for a while but then if my wife had been a good lady, i'll pull her back to me and together we'll think of how to help the kids psychologically as they grow up knowing that they would be the only children of ours that would be having such marks. The major thing is to help boost their confidence in themselves and overlook the marks as they grow.
Re: Tribal Mark Issue by juman(m): 1:58pm On Oct 09, 2013
Op just make it up ni jare.

The father's family give tribal mark not the mother side.
Re: Tribal Mark Issue by Mynd44: 2:34pm On Oct 09, 2013
juman: Op just make it up ni jare.

The father's family give tribal mark not the mother side.

Now this re-enactment is although not common but it is something I have heard of a lot. Sometimes, it is the paternal family that does it to the kids.
Do you think it is a good practice, and what will you do if this happens to you?

did you miss the meaning of "re-enactment" or you missed the words in bold?
Re: Tribal Mark Issue by juman(m): 4:37pm On Oct 09, 2013
Mynd_44:

did you miss the meaning of "re-enactment" or you missed the words in bold?

Okay.

Assuming that kind of thing happen, the wife should take the children immediately to hospital to treat the mark as wound. The wound will then heal.
Re: Tribal Mark Issue by bebe2(f): 7:08pm On Oct 09, 2013
xynerise:

On the cheeks.

Benin dnt put tribal marks on belly.

Dat design u see on their tummy is meant to be a traditional treatment for a childhood illness called Udeh (dnt know d English name)

They cut d tummy let it bleed abit and rub d medicine on it.
Re: Tribal Mark Issue by xynerise: 7:21pm On Oct 09, 2013
bebe2:

Benin dnt put tribal marks on belly.

Dat design u see on their tummy is meant to be a traditional treatment for a childhood illness called Udeh (dnt know d English name)

They cut d tummy let it bleed abit and rub d medicine on it.
We are saying the same thing
Re: Tribal Mark Issue by Nobody: 8:30pm On Oct 09, 2013
Re: Tribal Mark Issue by Afrocatalyst: 10:18pm On Oct 09, 2013
That's a wicked act tho ignorantly done by mama because to her,it's a good thing but to the parents and the twins,it's a wicked act.
I always say it,good and bad are relative. What is bad to you might feel good to me. Well, that's anoda topic for anoda day.

1 Like

Re: Tribal Mark Issue by bebe2(f): 8:28pm On Oct 10, 2013
xynerise:
We are saying the same thing

NO We are not.

Tribal marks is for the sole purpose of identifying with a particular ethnic group.

The benin one is applied as a treatment or cure cure for an illness. This is done irrespective of the childs tribe.

(1) (2) (Reply)

RELOCATING: Household Items For Sale / Biography Of Late Madam Alice Folake Tanimola (mama Idowu) 1939–2022 / Are Nigerian Marriages In America On The Brink Of Extinction?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.