Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,277 members, 7,836,244 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

Language Barrier - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Language Barrier (1046 Views)

Can Age Be A Barrier To Love And Marriage? / How To Have A Phone Conversation With Your Girlfriend With A Language Barrier? / Language Barrier In Relationships (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Language Barrier by Nobody: 12:30pm On Oct 09, 2013
At a point in ma 3 nd half yr relationship,if feel lyk quitin,cos of language barrier,he is an ibibio,am an ibo.[may sound stupid] it irritates me,dat dia r tinz i may lyk 2 say in ma language,bt due 2 he doesnt undastand it,i wil ve 2 stress maself 2 speak d borrowd language. English.And again,wen am talkin wit ma ibo brodas or sistas.i wil ve 2 interpret,lata.or even at dat moment. It irritates me.bt dia is ntin i can do. I SUM TYMS WONDER D LANGUAGE Dat wil b used in ma house if we eventually get married. He doesnt even undastand ibibio, he only undastands english , esako nd french. I want 2 knw,if wat u wil do if u r in ma shoes.nd hw do u handle language barrier if ur partner is nt 4rm d same tribe wit u.
Re: Language Barrier by Wizkhalifa2(m): 1:26pm On Oct 09, 2013
ders no problem here o.. u both speak english, wot else do u want na? or dem use igbo swear u?...
u can leave him nd date a sec sch igbo teacher na
Re: Language Barrier by Nobody: 6:29pm On Oct 09, 2013
Language should not be a barrier in a relationship,what matters is love.
Re: Language Barrier by Dyt(f): 6:33pm On Oct 09, 2013
Smh
Afta 3.6 yrs
Now u know language is barrier
U are seeing someone else b1tch
Re: Language Barrier by Omolola1(f): 6:45pm On Oct 09, 2013
You both speak English, what else do you want?
Pidgin is another option though..

If you really love that dude, you'd learn his language and teach him yours. You don't have to know everything, neither does he.

This is no issue @ all
Re: Language Barrier by lipsyliscious: 6:53pm On Oct 09, 2013
Babe wen u get wahala come NL we go giv u solution, no come here dey occupy space. Pple are luking for men, u are busy complaining over something dat is nt an issue, abi u want us to teach u Ibibio? undecided
Re: Language Barrier by kachiz(m): 7:10pm On Oct 09, 2013
Guess u both have been deaf and dumb since. one pastor don do magic miracle and una regain una speech and hearing.

did he use sign language wen he was chyking u?
just wait for me am coming. "ana m anu igbo ofuma"
Re: Language Barrier by kachiz(m): 7:10pm On Oct 09, 2013
Guess u both have been deaf and dumb since. one pastor don do magic miracle and una don regain una speech and hearing.

did he use sign language wen he was chyking u?
just wait for me am coming. "ana m anu igbo ofuma"
Re: Language Barrier by Lordwize(m): 7:36pm On Oct 09, 2013
Language shouldn't be a problem.
English is enough my dear, if you love him.
But, if you don't it is a flimsy excuse to quit.
Re: Language Barrier by Nobody: 8:43pm On Oct 09, 2013
Hmmm... Can certain accents also be considered as language barrier? tongue
Re: Language Barrier by Nobody: 9:44pm On Oct 09, 2013
Omolola1: You both speak English, what else do you want?
Pidgin is another option though..

If you really love that dude, you'd learn his language and teach him yours. You don't have to know everything, neither does he.

This is no issue @ all
I tire o.. Some people just want to open thread so that people will notice them..

She can speak english, her BF can speak english.. What's is the problem again?.
Re: Language Barrier by Nobody: 9:53pm On Oct 09, 2013
D prob is,1,he feels insecurd,wen i talk on fone wit ma language.esp if d caller is a man.2,i feel left out wen we r in a circle of his family members.3,i dnt want ma children 2 knw jst d english language,as mst skuls nw ve abolishd d mothertongue lesson.nd again,he always use his language 2 insult me wen angry.
carujmonella:
I tire o.. Some people just want to open thread so that people will notice them..

She can speak english, her BF can speak english.. What's is the problem again?.
Re: Language Barrier by chineloSA(f): 9:56pm On Oct 09, 2013
Now u talking. The issue here is not the language. Its his abusive tendencies.

I think u need to sitdown with yourself and dissect what is really bothering you. Its not the language.

What if you find an Igbo man who is equally insecure
Re: Language Barrier by chineloSA(f): 10:15pm On Oct 09, 2013
Let me ask :

What have you done to resolve this?

You didnt say what you have tried to do. You work on a relationship if you want it and not just sit back and complain. Looking @ this, you do not want it hence you have not tried to resolve the relationship.
Re: Language Barrier by Nobody: 10:33pm On Oct 09, 2013
I grew up in a family that can be described as "bi-cultural". You just have to learn each others language. Although English is the family's official language, we all understand and can speak both languages.
Re: Language Barrier by wasak(m): 10:38pm On Oct 09, 2013
this is one reason Hausa girls don't date other tribes. most of them prefer Hausa as their partners in order to flow better.
it actually depends on the people involved.
Re: Language Barrier by Nobody: 11:17pm On Oct 09, 2013
Primuskay: D prob is,1,he feels insecurd,wen i talk on fone wit ma language.esp if d caller is a man.2,i feel left out wen we r in a circle of his family members.3,i dnt want ma children 2 knw jst d english language,as mst skuls nw ve abolishd d mothertongue lesson.nd again,he always use his language 2 insult me wen angry.

Now you're talking..

1) Since he feels that way, I implore you to stop talking to men in igbo language, maybe ladies but not men so that he doesn't feel "left out" or that you're cheating on him. It's a sacrifice for greater good

2) I understand, I do feel such in the midst of my friends from other tribe, but if you love this man, you have to sacrifice. You can tell him to ask his family memebers to speak in english so that you can hear them. I bet you, he will try to work something up

3) They're ways to go about it. Maybe allow the children to spend the holidays in your husband/bf's state and allow his kinsmen teach them ibibio while you teach them igbo when they're back from the hols. That way, you can use one stone to kill the birds

As for the insults, that's a no no, no matter what language he does it. Insults breaks up a relationship not unite them. He's to stop it
Re: Language Barrier by Nobody: 5:24am On Oct 10, 2013
Even my broda's? D fact is wen am talkin wit a fellow ibo 2 use d english lang.nt dat am nt fluent in it. Ve askd him 2 pls tel d family 2 use english weneva am arund.bt he wil say is,i wil interprete lata.which he wil neva do. As 4 d insults,he wnt admit dat he insultd me,he wil tel me dat wen angry,his language is d only language he uses 2 xpress himself.we ve sat down many at tyms 2 solve dat,bt at d end,ntin gud is achievd.
carujmonella:

Now you're talking..

1) Since he feels that way, I implore you to stop talking to men in igbo language, maybe ladies but not men so that he doesn't feel "left out" or that you're cheating on him. It's a sacrifice for greater good

2) I understand, I do feel such in the midst of my friends from other tribe, but if you love this man, you have to sacrifice. You can tell him to ask his family memebers to speak in english so that you can hear them. I bet you, he will try to work something up

3) They're ways to go about it. Maybe allow the children to spend the holidays in your husband/bf's state and allow his kinsmen teach them ibibio while you teach them igbo when they're back from the hols. That way, you can use one stone to kill the birds

As for the insults, that's a no no, no matter what language he does it. Insults breaks up a relationship not unite them. He's to stop it
Re: Language Barrier by Nobody: 6:26pm On Oct 10, 2013
Primuskay: Even my broda's? D fact is wen am talkin wit a fellow ibo 2 use d english lang.nt dat am nt fluent in it. Ve askd him 2 pls tel d family 2 use english weneva am arund.bt he wil say is,i wil interprete lata.which he wil neva do. As 4 d insults,he wnt admit dat he insultd me,he wil tel me dat wen angry,his language is d only language he uses 2 xpress himself.we ve sat down many at tyms 2 solve dat,bt at d end,ntin gud is achievd.

I'm gonna be blunt here, no beating around the bush especially for the part I embolden..

GIRL... QUIT THE RELATIONSHIP.. Some barriers are too enormous to be ignored or overcome

He gets angry when you speak igbo with your blood brother but don't wanna do anything about him and his family speaking their native dialect. That's hypocrisy. He doesn't trust you and once there's lack of trust, relationships are bound to crash. And he resorts to abuses when he's angry?. Baby girl, quit and move on with your life before it gets too late. It's hard but you just have quit
Re: Language Barrier by Eyop: 9:17pm On Oct 10, 2013
You don't even know what you want in the 1st place. Before you accept dating someone for this long you ought to have reviewed all the likes and dislikes prior to proceeding. He's from Ibibio while you are an Igbo girl meaning different tradition and you guys don't understand each others language and it is now you see the reality of it all. I will advice you quit the relationship because your love for him is diminshing and such if you force yourself into marriage with him,you will at the end gabage out.

I can only advice you to marry someone that you understands his language,customs and tradition. Love more with your head and do not concentrate in the heart alone. Good luck
Re: Language Barrier by Sloan: 4:30am On Oct 12, 2013
This will never be a problem with a Yoruba boy! You need to port come this side! In fact, all the girls in Nigeria should port to the
West side! grin grin

(1) (Reply)

What Will You Do In This Kinda Situation / 8 Simple Ways To Show Your Love Without Words (must Read) / Can You Date A Runz Girl?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.