Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,846 members, 7,810,258 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:16 AM

Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? (16608 Views)

Graduates Job Applications At Julius Berger Nigeria Plc(numerous Positions) / The Horrible Truth About Online Job Applications. / Mistakes Job Seekers Make While Posting CVS For Job Applications. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Otitijerome(m): 3:53pm On Oct 10, 2013
GeneralShepherd: Today will be my one year anniversary of temporary stay at home job(lol) after NYSC, in this one year I send out an average of 5 job applications a day not to talk of the ones i sent out during my youth service. that is roughly about 1500 job applications all online.

I have had only written 6 tests invites 2 online and 4 others at dragnet. In the 6, I made it to the interview stage on four of these occassions but was not hired anyway.

(I know I should have passed all six and made all interviews but i simply couldn't, though I keep working on improving my interview skills and aptitude test abilities)

But my question is do online job applications work? If yes how can i make my job applications more effective?

If no, please kindly tell me the alternatives because Owu wan kill me for here....

Mods please can this topic get to the front-page so I can sample different opinions... thanks

you have a good result. Congrat 4 dat. Online application work but not 100%. Keep sending ur application. GOD will favour you. You location matter very well. I guess u are in the Industrial area in Nigeria (Lagos, PH, Abj)
were ur course have more advantage to offer. HMM apart from online application i want u to walk to any of the big company with ur applicatn , Cv and photocopy of credentials and drop hard copy with the HR . Gudluck
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by peleson: 3:55pm On Oct 10, 2013
2busy:

Very good response to this topic
In addition, while at home try your hands on other skills apart from your 2.1 in Elect engineering
Try and learn software like AutoCAD (Acompulsory software for all engineers), PDMS for cable tray routing, Intools for instrumentation etc, if you are intrested in oil and gas job.

try upload your cv in site like: oilandgasjobsearch, oilcareer, miningjobsearch totalcareer etc

Best of luck and don't give up
Nice!
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by bigcycs: 3:58pm On Oct 10, 2013
Larai Boluwaji:
Abeg leave writing of book and go for deliverance jor

thanks bro..you are far too kind
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by pri3stess(f): 4:01pm On Oct 10, 2013
In other parts of the world, yes but in Nigeria
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Infoay: 4:10pm On Oct 10, 2013
I can understand how you feel. But in all these, pls still trust God and keep making effort to make application when necessary and pray along. Jesus is Lord and He will come through for you.
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by theowonder(m): 4:20pm On Oct 10, 2013
Dear OP,

There's hope for you. Without mocking you, I laughed as I read through comments.

I graduated 2007 with Distinction, overall best student in the faculty and department of Management Science and Accounting respectively.

It took me six years to be liberated. I wrote several tests and attended many interviews including Honeywell, First Bank, Access Bank, Etisalat, UBA to mention few. I eventually picked up contract jobs after teaching for 8 months in a private secondary school and gather experience for 4 years.

The secret is not to quit. Believe in yourself because situation like this makes you think otherwise, be more prayerful and diversify on your application method. Do online and physical visit - cold calls

All the best.

1 Like

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by LordGhandalf(m): 4:22pm On Oct 10, 2013
rammytt:

u don't mean it 2.1 in EEE and u r stil out there for ova a yr looking for a job..did u finish frm zamfara state?

My broda its not always the smartest that wins. In some interview, the inspiration may just flow in for some people and they sail thru. The smartest most times will have it upstairs but how to arrange the answers will be the problem. Luck also counts.
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Lease(m): 4:30pm On Oct 10, 2013
Many of the earlier contributors had given useful suggestions on this topic. However on a separate but related issue, i have found out that some of the job seekers on this platform appear not to be serious with the task or do not know what they actually want. For example, in two different occasions that i put up advert on this site and two other ones, i discover that applicants that applied through Nairaland eventually did not show up for the interview even after prior confirmation that they would make it. It is instructive to know that no fewer than 12 candidates were eventually employed by the two companies involved.

As an applicant, it is expected that you keep proper record of where you sent applications to so as not to eventually present yourself to the prospective employer as someone not serious or organized especially in cases where the name of the company is clearly stated on the advert.

Some employers are ready to take candidates without previous experience if such candidate can proof his/her academic competence. Imagine a candidate that just finished his NYSC, with a degree in Finance & Banking and claimed to be preparing for Institute of Banker's professional exam and could not explain what "Time Value of Money" means. His excuse was that he did it at 200 level and so couldn't remember. Am sure such candidate would go out claiming that he had attended many interviews without luck. Meanwhile when he was asked what type of books he like to read during his leisure times he said Global excellence magazine. What i am saying in summary is that for those graduates without working experience, in addition to suggestions earlier given by other contributors, they should endeavour to read and be on top of the course they did at the university. An undergraduate of Unilag sent a mail to my office in January 2013 requesting for an opportunity to do an attachment in August 2013 before the NYSC programme would start. He pledged to work without any salary just to gain experience. We replied that he should contact us when he is through at the university. However immediately the ASUU strike broke out, he contacted us through e-mail again and he was invited for a chart and the rest is now history. BTW he is being paid some stipend like normal Industrial Attachment staff. I later learnt that he actually sent the request to many companies.

3 Likes

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by presiade(m): 4:42pm On Oct 10, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

Thanks for your kind words

But my worries lie in two-folds,

My aim now is to step up my game in the interview category, but where my worries lie is getting the test/interview opportunity.

6 in 1500 is a very horrible odd in my opinion.

So in what ways can I increase my test/interview opportunities.
My only advice for you is this: though you may be desperate for a job, NEVER apply to a job you do not meet all the criteria, as this amounts to waste of time and resources; most job seekers make this mistake, especially the experience aspect!
Try that and see the difference... All the best!
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by kingsleyMbang(m): 5:00pm On Oct 10, 2013
DMainMan: It works. Please persevere and keep on. Dont give up.
90% Of on-line job does nt work. its just a fantasy/mirrage offer.
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by ponlear(m): 5:06pm On Oct 10, 2013
rammytt:

u don't mean it 2.1 in EEE and u r stil out there for ova a yr looking for a job..did u finish frm zamfara state?
2:1's Plenty, example me !!. I often wonder if internet applications work too cos my story is similar to his own.. Mtcheew Nigeria !! Chia
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by dkingsman4real(m): 5:36pm On Oct 10, 2013
You must have it in mind that you don't go to the university because u want to be employed, u go because u want to be empowered to help yourself. secondly, if employment is turn by turn, it is not yet your turn since we have graduate with 7 years sit at home experience . finally, you must find something to do for yourself by yourself, from there u open room to interact with people and clear yourself of university experience for the market experience .
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by jovichi: 5:39pm On Oct 10, 2013
pweety_tonie: Always restructure ur Cv to suit the job u are applying for dnt use one cv to apply for a secreatry and a customer care agent or a marketer or teacher...and always send ur cv with a cover letter well written cover letter and most importantly pray and believe in God

Pls what do u mean by cover letter. # need to know please#.
What does its entails, as in what should it contain.
Good bless u
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Talie2kiss(f): 5:41pm On Oct 10, 2013
DMainMan:

Send me your CV and cover letter to my mail. Lets c if we can improve it to b mor enterprising.
pls can i send mine to u cos av nt gotten any invite from online application. Tnx
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Oct 10, 2013
Larai Boluwaji:
Abeg leave writing of book and go for deliverance jor
madam, if u have nothing reasonable to say, why not stfu and go to the kitchen, @ Bigcycs, u need to work on your ability to go beyond the test stage, why not get yourself conversant with dragnet past questions, shl, gmats etc, also try register your cv with oilcareers, oilandgasjobs, even unsolicited applications. with all you ve got, you have a big edge over other inexperienced guys like you, jst don't give up my guy
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by ayonuga(m): 6:48pm On Oct 10, 2013
Firstly you are doing right by ensuring you customise every cv+cover letter for individual applications. People have recommended good options already. Pls forward your CV I can do a review and give you feedback.

As an HR professional I can give you this advice-try getting an internship (paid or non paid). This will help you get the required practical experience. You can do this by walk-in (physically visiting companies) or virtually by sending customized emails to selected companies and make them know of your intention. I know someone who did the same thing and within 24hrs he got a call from the HR head of a multinational. They had a 30mins discussion and that was how the connection was made to get his job till date.
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by bigcycs: 7:01pm On Oct 10, 2013
Castroii: madam, if u have nothing reasonable to say, why not stfu and go to the kitchen, @ Bigcycs, u need to work on your ability to go beyond the test stage, why not get yourself conversant with dragnet past questions, shl, gmats etc, also try register your cv with oilcareers, oilandgasjobs, even unsolicited applications. with all you ve got, you have a big edge over other inexperienced guys like you, jst don't give up my guy

Thanks brother.. I really appreciate this advice..I'll not quit trying
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by AK481(m): 7:58pm On Oct 10, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

Lol..okay like the TCN job

I actually made it to the interview stage,on the day of interview at their regional office in Enugu. The interview lasted throughout the whole day at about 10.30pm at night they told the other applicants that haven't yet been interviewed that we have to come back the next.

Well the next day to avoid what happened the previous day they started interviewing us,three at a time.

One question for each applicant. Now tell me in what way was this process free and fair? How I am supposed to sell my awesome self,with a worded answer.

Meanwhile the question was[b], what is a skyline in a powerline transmission system?!!!![/b]

Whao! That is tough,and i dont think it was d'same category of hard question that was asked to everybody.

Thats hardluck.
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by rammytt(m): 8:06pm On Oct 10, 2013
vladimiros: Op do u have a skill?

If nit go learn one

wht is ur definition of a skill?..person read engineering for 5yrs plus IT u dey ask if he gat a skill..na wa oo

1 Like

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by ejihand1(m): 8:24pm On Oct 10, 2013
2busy:

In addition, while at home try your hands on other skills apart from your 2.1 in Elect engineering
Try and learn software like AutoCAD (Acompulsory software for all engineers), PDMS for cable tray routing, Intools for instrumentation etc, if you are intrested in oil and gas job.

try upload your cv in site like: oilandgasjobsearch, oilcareer, miningjobsearch totalcareer etc

Please Sir what kind of software packages can someone who graduated from medical laboratory science learn? Please Sir reply me
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by ejihand1(m): 8:26pm On Oct 10, 2013
2busy:

Please Sir what kind of software packages can someone who graduated from medical laboratory science learn? Please Sir reply me.
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by outofthebox: 9:11pm On Oct 10, 2013
Dude never back down. itz never easy/..stay positive
i bliv the best ting thing to do now is think and choose a career. forget 2-1 ishh for now. think of a career.
now divert all ur energy towards that.
me self na learner but i bliv something gud go show
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by funkyprof: 9:32pm On Oct 10, 2013
Honestly, this is the question I ask myself everyday. On job boards, almost everyday, you see "MASSIVE RECRUITMENT" here and there. Who exactly is being recruited and how many pple can testify to being recruited from such job ads? I customize my CV & cover letter for each role I apply for but hardly get any feedback. Been for some tests & interviews but on offer yet. I

Infact, I don tire o! na God hand everything dey
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by imperiouxx(m): 10:06pm On Oct 10, 2013
funkyprof: Honestly, this is the question I ask myself everyday. On job boards, almost everyday, you see "MASSIVE RECRUITMENT" here and there. Who exactly is being recruited and how many pple can testify to being recruited from such job ads? I customize my CV & cover letter for each role I apply for but hardly get any feedback. Been for some tests & interviews but on offer yet. I

Infact, I don tire o! na God hand everything dey

I was applying for jobs through indeed.com and guess what I keep asking my American friends....... Are these uncountable jobs listed online real? Because we have online job list in Nigeria too but they are just caricatures.

I don't know if Linkedin.com works in Nigeria but it's certainly another good avenue to get jobs from those professional groups you joined.
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Idolys(m): 10:27pm On Oct 10, 2013
rammytt:

Can you tell us what happens to those who finished from Zamfara state ? sad
rammytt:

Can you tell us what happens to those who finished from Zamfara state ?
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Oct 10, 2013
@poster

Most employers are looking for experienced candidates, u must have failed some questions during interview.

I have opportuned to interview some candidates, some aint smart and don't have any idea of what the companies does.

You should make research about what d companies does, empower ursef get some certifications. But most companies employee new graduate as a trainee or interns.

The company I currently work for is currently recruiting candidates for internship.

Send me a PM, I can help you to talk to the operation manager about it.

2 Likes

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by funshint(m): 11:39pm On Oct 10, 2013
My guy talking from experience; pls stop wasting your time on those online nonsense. Pickup 'urself and go physically to companies around your area. Dats d best option. Nigeria is now a country where merit has been thrown to the dustbin. If U̶̲̥̅̊ don't know anybody for connection then you're in a fix; so unfortunate! Even most of the recruitment agencies are shady; only recruiting those who are ready to compromise through money or sex. Pls don't waste time sitting down thinking that the job will come and meet U̶̲̥̅̊. Get up and dust 'ur shoes... No time O°˚˚˚ Godspeed!
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by zinylizzy(f): 3:17am On Oct 11, 2013
@op, it works o.my current job was from online application and even my brother got his job from it too,no ojoro,no long legs. I was really impressed.so persevere and improve and add to ur skills.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Odd 'jobs' You Did During NYSC / National Orientation Agency(noa) / 7up Nigeria Recruitment 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.