Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,091 members, 7,821,773 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:15 PM

Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? (16623 Views)

Graduates Job Applications At Julius Berger Nigeria Plc(numerous Positions) / The Horrible Truth About Online Job Applications. / Mistakes Job Seekers Make While Posting CVS For Job Applications. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by GeneralShepherd(m): 2:22pm On Oct 10, 2013
Tinkybabe: Your paper qualification looks attractive and so I want to assume you're not being shortlisted due to lack of experience.I can imagine you saying where would the experience come from when they are not ready to recruit you.

That's where sacrifice comes in-if it means working voluntarily to garner the required experience or settling(in the mean time) for a low pay job that would gratify the needed experience,then do it.

Your poise and responses to interview questions matter too,how convincing you sound that you're the man for the job.Attend seminars,read books that would help improve these skills.

Also develop other transferable skills (you know them)that would give you an edge over your counterparts-don't rely on your paper degree alone.

And to your question,Yes!online applications very much work.

All the best with your search.

I kid you not when I tell you, that I have asked many companies for internship and even volunteering without pay just for learning opportunities to no avail!!!
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by einsteine(m): 2:23pm On Oct 10, 2013
funkybaby: yes, online applications do work.

to have had 4 interviews and not had success in at least one means your interview skills are really, really poor.

that is what you need to work on and polish.

the job market is very competitive so every opportunity counts.

it pointless getting shortlisted for the final stage so many times and then messing up.

have you tried practising in front of a mirror before you attend an interview?

practice interview questions out loud and make sure you record an audio of yourself while at it. then play it back ... it will give you an idea how good/confident/rubbish you sound to potential interviewers and that way, you know what you need to work on.

also do 'mock' interview sessions with a friend/experienced colleague and have the person grill you and give you honest feedback on your performance.

I wouldn't assume his interview skills are 'very poor'. You could perform very well at an interview and not get the job because there is a quota. Imagine trying to be among the best ten out of 50 interviewees. There's an element of luck in interviewing. It is very possible to perform well at 4 interviews and not get an offer. At OP, keep trying.
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by GeneralShepherd(m): 2:24pm On Oct 10, 2013
funkybaby: yes, online applications do work.

to have had 4 interviews and not had success in at least one means your interview skills are really, really poor.

that is what you need to work on and polish.

the job market is very competitive so every opportunity counts.

it pointless getting shortlisted for the final stage so many times and then messing up.

have you tried practising in front of a mirror before you attend an interview?

practice interview questions out loud and make sure you record an audio of yourself while at it. then play it back ... it will give you an idea how good/confident/rubbish you sound to potential interviewers and that way, you know what you need to work on.

also do 'mock' interview sessions with a friend/experienced colleague and have the person grill you and give you honest feedback on your performance.

I will work on the interview part..thanks
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by GeneralShepherd(m): 2:24pm On Oct 10, 2013
rammytt:

u don't mean it 2.1 in EEE and u r stil out there for ova a yr looking for a job..did u finish frm zamfara state?

Nairaland and sacarsm anyway I finished from FUTO
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by DonaldGenes(m): 2:24pm On Oct 10, 2013
Mr Brother, Don't waiver, be resolute in your pursuit and trust me, you gonna get one
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by oweniwe(m): 2:29pm On Oct 10, 2013
I only got scam mails and texts in response to online applications i'v sent. . . jobrapido, job.naij.com and jobberman are the main culprists angry
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by sashx(m): 2:29pm On Oct 10, 2013
rammytt:

u don't mean it 2.1 in EEE and u r stil out there for ova a yr looking for a job..did u finish frm zamfara state?
No wonder we see grads from d nothern Univ are more qualitative dan dos from ur soo called state universities.
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by GeneralShepherd(m): 2:30pm On Oct 10, 2013
AK 48: Op you dont know anybody?

Well,u av a n'ice cv,for the fact that u re been shortlisted for some test.u re smart atleast you ve passed some test and qualify for the interview stage.

The truth is that most people are lucky wen it comes to mass recruitment(fg n'co )and the brilliant guys scale thru,eg the tcn recent recruitment of 500 engineers.
Aside mass opportunity like this,it is like a camel passing thru the eyes of a needle,bt it is not impossible!

I wish you luck,just keep telling people abt ur situation and the help will come.simple!

Lol..okay like the TCN job

I actually made it to the interview stage,on the day of interview at their regional office in Enugu. The interview lasted throughout the whole day at about 10.30pm at night they told the other applicants that haven't yet been interviewed that we have to come back the next.

Well the next day to avoid what happened the previous day they started interviewing us,three at a time.

One question for each applicant. Now tell me in what way was this process free and fair? How I am supposed to sell my awesome self,with a worded answer.

Meanwhile the question was, what is a skyline in a powerline transmission system?!!!!
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Oct 10, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

I studied Electrical and electronics engineering (2.1) B.Eng hons...(Lol)

Okay I will do just that, I have about 600 painstakingly written cover letters and I now vary my template according to the job and recruiter. I take my time on every application I make.

I will check out the websites thank you for dropping your comments.
From which uni? Because from experience most companies pay special consideration to the school attended. Anyway wish u all the best.
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Oct 10, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

I kid you not when I tell you, that I have asked many companies for internship and even volunteering without pay just for learning opportunities to no avail!!!
guy go pray because this your case get as e be.
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Oct 10, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

guy go pray because this your case get as e be. Even volunteer self
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by GeneralShepherd(m): 2:37pm On Oct 10, 2013
ceo_13: From which uni? Because from experience most companies pay special consideration to the school attended. Anyway wish u all the best.

The Federal University Of Technology Owerri!!!

@d prayer bit that didn't work!
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by tiwasiaife(m): 2:41pm On Oct 10, 2013
DMainMan:

Send me your CV and cover letter to my mail. Lets c if we can improve it to b mor enterprising.
bro i would wnt us to chat privately pls send me ur email txt me on 07031675642 i wil kal u.i wnt to inquire smthn frm u.
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Oct 10, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

Nairaland and sacarsm anyway I finished from FUTO
ok I see...my nephew finished from there with 2:1 in EE but I was not surprise considering he always spend 60-70k monthly on handouts without attending classes grin

2 Likes

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by saintgwizard(m): 2:48pm On Oct 10, 2013
From what I gathered from your post, you challenge is not the CV or cover letter, so on line application works. You challenge lies in getting hired after an interview. What you need do is keep polishing your presentation skills, read books about leadership, read books on management and place you self in that light. When you are being interviewed, be bold to present your self as the best man for the Job. Above all, prayerfully prepare for interviews and learn from all your previous unsuccessful interviews. Soon you will smile.

1 Like

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by GeneralShepherd(m): 2:49pm On Oct 10, 2013
ceo_13: ok I see...my nephew finished from there with 2:1 in EE but I was not surprise considering he always spend 60-70k monthly on handouts without attending classes grin

Wow just wow...please can you address the OP? Or do you just wish to mock me?

Anyway on a serious note your nephew(if you story is true) is a criminal. FUTO does not sell handouts, what you can do is photocopy the handouts at 2.50/page or max 5 Naira/page.

Anyway thanks for dropping by.

1 Like

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by GeneralShepherd(m): 2:52pm On Oct 10, 2013
saintgwizard: From what I gathered from your post, you challenge is not the CV or cover letter, so on line application works. You challenge lies in getting hired after an interview. What you need do is keep polishing your presentation skills, read books about leadership, read books on management and place you self in that light. When you are being interviewed, be bold to present your self as the best man for the Job. Above all, prayerfully prepare for interviews and learn from all your previous unsuccessful interviews. Soon you will smile.

Thanks for your kind words

But my worries lie in two-folds,

My aim now is to step up my game in the interview category, but where my worries lie is getting the test/interview opportunity.

6 in 1500 is a very horrible odd in my opinion.

So in what ways can I increase my test/interview opportunities.
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by GeneralShepherd(m): 2:56pm On Oct 10, 2013
imperiouxx:

@ sitting at home for one year part. If you are not lazy, get a teaching job in your area while you continue sending your applications. I'm sure there are many teaching jobs out there but everyone likes white collar job.

Thanks for your advice but technically I've not been at home all year long.

I just finished a 3 months certification in Electrical and control system design and implementation.

Also have done CCNA is the past year
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Oct 10, 2013
@CE0_13. FUTO doesn't sell handouts. We only photocopy.

1 Like

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by imperiouxx(m): 2:58pm On Oct 10, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

Thanks for your advice but technically I've not been at home all year long.

I just finished a 3 months certification in Electrical and control system design and implementation.

Also have done CCNA is the past year

Ok, that's the part I didn't know. Sitting at home doing nothing is waste of life. Best of luck.
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by GeneralShepherd(m): 2:59pm On Oct 10, 2013
macoiami: @CE0_13. FUTO doesn't sell handouts. We only photocopy.

Abeg tell am oo
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by LordMecuzy(m): 3:01pm On Oct 10, 2013
yeaaaaa it works bro i spent over two years surfing the internet for a job. After two years i got a job of 2,850,000 annual salary with just a degree certificate no professional qualification.

bros Never u give up smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley cool cool cool cool cool cool cool

4 Likes

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by lanrei(m): 3:17pm On Oct 10, 2013
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Oct 10, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

Wow just wow...please can you address the OP? Or do you just wish to mock me?

Anyway on a serious note your nephew(if you story is true) is a criminal. FUTO does not sell handouts, what you can do is photocopy the handouts at 2.50/page or max 5 Naira/page.

Anyway thanks for dropping by.
sorry I am not mocking u just telling u what my nephew did before he graduated cos I sponsored him! Back to the topic...I think you should target some small IT companies here in lagos just to get experience and of course build up connections for yourself. u see there is nothing bad in starting small. And lastly pray hard it works!
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by bigcycs: 3:39pm On Oct 10, 2013
well i can relate to this..i graduated from futo as well..studied petroleum engineering 2:1 class of degree too finished serving february 2012(and before any one mocks me i tried to earn that degree and i do not feel my conscience prick me as i say this). ive done at least 15 different job exams if i am not mistaken and never for once have i made it through to the next stage.
my conclusion has always been i did not perform well enough to make it through.as i understand only the best among the best make it through.
ive thought myself autocad2d/3d qualified and got my OSHA certificate and currently shopping for where i can do ECLIPSE certification(anyone with information can help me out). all i can say is that its been hellish coping with the depression and feeling of 'i am a failure" that comes every time..

i make a lot of effort to stay positive but sometimes it just doesn't work. its all gloomy down here many times.

i am planning to write a book about my life when things get better for me as i expect them to(i really hope it does) as i believe a lot of people will be inspired when they learn about what a brother had to pass through before making it.
now i may not have seen as much hell as many out there but i just know i'll have to share my travails someday as i have had some experiences worth sharing.
for now..i am still jobless,still applying for jobs and of cuz i get busy on some hustle and God is kind..i can at least earn basic living expenses.

1 Like

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Oct 10, 2013
OP, have you considered working for free?

Many people don't like the idea but trust me, that's what I shall do once I leave NYSC by February.

I go just carry my bag, go PH begin drop CV and cover letter...

1 Like

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by zerriffic: 3:41pm On Oct 10, 2013
When frustration set in, I did door to door advertisement. I packaged myself, made about 100 photocopies with attached credentials, introduced myself and dropped my CV. Men made passes at me, i got insulted, i got encouraged, i made friends and sometimes got fed up and would cry but i would wipe my tears, apply my powder and kept knocking.

On a "rest day" i applied online for a job, got a call that i was over qualified and they were willing to pay peanuts and so it was my call. The pay was very little but i needed a job badly, any legit job.
I requested for a meeting,negotiated and that was it. That week, i got 2 offers without flex option from my "door to door runs" and a flex as-we-need-you-basis from another which i took.

At the end of my first month, they made me an offer for full time, i negotiated again and here i am
Moral? Online works but you have to step out into the street and hustle up. As a man, you have no excuse

3 Likes

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Seyixyz: 3:45pm On Oct 10, 2013
Do u hav an oga @ d top?If no,den dis ur thread is very uncalled for walahi
Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Oct 10, 2013
80% of jobs today are gotten through 'man-know-man'.

1 Like

Re: Do Online Job Applications Ever Work? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Oct 10, 2013
bigcycs: well i can relate to this..i graduated from futo as well..studied petroleum engineering 2:1 class of degree too finished serving february 2012(and before any one mocks me i tried to earn that degree and i do not feel my conscience prick me as i say this). ive done at least 15 different job exams if i am not mistaken and never for once have i made it through to the next stage.
my conclusion has always been i did not perform well enough to make it through.as i understand only the best among the best make it through.
ive thought myself autocad2d/3d qualified and got my OSHA certificate and currently shopping for where i can do ECLIPSE certification(anyone with information can help me out). all i can say is that its been hellish coping with the depression and feeling of 'i am a failure" that comes every time..

i make a lot of effort to stay positive but sometimes it just doesn't work. its all gloomy down here many times.

i am planning to write a book about my life when things get better for me as i expect them to(i really hope it does) as i believe a lot of people will be inspired when they learn about what a brother had to pass through before making it.
now i may not have seen as much hell as many out there but i just know i'll have to share my travails someday as i have had some experiences worth sharing.
for now..i am still jobless,still applying for jobs and of cuz i get busy on some hustle and God is kind..i can at least earn basic living expenses.
Abeg leave writing of book and go for deliverance jor

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

7up Nigeria Recruitment 2018 / Odd 'jobs' You Did During NYSC / Telkom will take over soon: Got A Job There

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.